HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 1:00 AM

Can someone fill me in on this....maybe I have missed it....Expected to open in 2014. Are they not pre-selling these condos? I don't get it. Why not capitalize on the market now while its hot, instead of risking a sudden downturn in the market. I thought I was following this all along, but maybe I'm wrong? I don't know of others building without sales?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 3:47 AM

This is the first time I've heard the name "Bella Towers".
At first glance, I'm not sure I like it...
Why not something playing off the Federal, National Revenue, Elizabeth Bradford Holbrook friezes angle, or Caroline Towers?

I just searched Google to see if Darko's wife or girlfriend is named Bella... it doesn't appear to be but his divorce file is there if anyone's interested http://www.thomsonrogers.com/sites/d...anlii48652.pdf

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Bella Towers Phase 1 - Vrancor Group

Main Street West Preparation work has begun on the former Federal Building on Main Street West which will see a 7 storey addition on top of the existing 5 storey structure and the creation of 142 condo apartments. Completion is expected in 2014.
It is actually a 6 story structure.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Bella Towers Phase 1 - Vrancor Group

Main Street West Preparation work has begun on the former Federal Building on Main Street West which will see a 7 storey addition on top of the existing 5 storey structure and the creation of 142 condo apartments. Completion is expected in 2014.
The picture above looks like an existing 7 storey structure, not 5.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 3:28 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

stripper

Stupid name. Sounds like a stripper and not a hot one. Maybe just leave off the "Towers" part, it's not the 70s.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 8:57 PM

In a Q&A in the Summer Issue of Hamilton Magazine, Darko mentioned that his granddaughter is named Bella...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 1:53 AM

Bella Towers

Yeah, sounds like a housing project from the 1970s.

Are there no floor plans yet? Weird...

Maybe he'll just turn it into senior's flats again. No need to pre-sell that.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 11:28 AM

exactly...as mentioned above....no pre-sales in this market? Seniors residence...I hear ya!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 1:44 PM

Or just a regular rental building. Those are still needed.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 3:37 PM
It's Hammer Time

Luxury rentals are desperalty needed.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 7:00 PM

The problem with rental housing is the time it takes to pay back the investment. The president of Effort Trust recently said the Hamilton market was really tough because 'rents are so low'. While most of us are thankful for that aspect of Hamilton's housing market, it doesn't help get things built.

I wonder what the main difference was in the economy in the 1960s to 70s that allowed such massive housing developments that were rentals? I know there were way looser rules around development then, but that can't be the whole story. It had to be easier to borrow money then on the basis of future rental income.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Luxury rentals are desperalty needed.
That's what Chateau Royale (sic) has long since resorted to. They don't seem to be filling up much faster than their condo sales did. Is that project just such poor quality that it couldn't do well with either strategy?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 8:39 PM
It's Hammer Time

The rental apartments in Aldershot are miles ahead of the Chateau. The Aldershot apartments are modern, clean and affordable, while at the same time providing condo living style with gym, pool, sauna, private a/c units, entertainment room, stainless steel appliance, etc. Chateau is nearly $200 more a month.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
The problem with rental housing is the time it takes to pay back the investment. The president of Effort Trust recently said the Hamilton market was really tough because 'rents are so low'. While most of us are thankful for that aspect of Hamilton's housing market, it doesn't help get things built.

I wonder what the main difference was in the economy in the 1960s to 70s that allowed such massive housing developments that were rentals? I know there were way looser rules around development then, but that can't be the whole story. It had to be easier to borrow money then on the basis of future rental income.
I've often asked myself the very same question and I've actually written a paper on it for one of my university classes. The 1960's and increasingly in the 1970's was a time where much of the baby-boom generation were reaching maturity and due to many factors including education, sexual liberation, income, and a heightening of the average age of marriage transitional housing (i.e. apartments) was in a HUGE demand. The previous generation generally got married right after high school as post-secondary education was only for the wealthy and careers could be had simply by showing up. It was much less culturally acceptable to have multiple sexual partners, and considered taboo if you were single and living on your own therefore apartments weren't in demand and if they were built it was to a much smaller scale. Also, during the 1960's and 1970's society was drenched in the idea of science fiction and futurism. Movies, books, magazines, television shows, and comics depicted the future as predominately urban with almost every single human dwelling in a massively high rise apartment/condominium. Futuristic idealism can be widely recognized within Hamilton. For example, acres of Victorian buildings were demolished for the creation of Jackson Square which at the time was considered a beacon for the future of architecture.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post

You want to know the main reason? Check out the mill rates for multi-residential in Hamilton. The city cranked them up from the 60s and 70s to lower the single housing rate and surprise surprise no one builds apartments any more.

The city sends around a letter each year with an estimate of the taxes on your apartment unit (at least in the big buildings). They just take the total taxes on your building and divide it by the number of units so it isn't perfect, but is still a reasonable estimate. I know my unit which is a big two bedroom around $1000 has yearly taxes of $2500. Considering how much less city services a high rise consumes compared to a house (i.e. sidewalks and roads), you would think it would be cheaper, but it isn't.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 5:52 PM

Quote:

Red dot - Homewood hotel
Yellow dot - Old Federal building
Blue dot - condo building
Purple dot - Staybridge hotel
I was just looking through this thread and saw this picture. I did some reading on the internet and found a post on a website from a while ago saying that phase 3 of the project (blue dot) is still in the planning stages. Any news on that tower?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 10:32 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

I hope it's not on hold. That's probably the best building out of the bunch. It would've been cool if he designed them with common themed roof tops, perhaps pyramid/pointed style, look like a mini Philly skyline.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 1:48 AM

Yeah, let's hope it's still going ahead. However, I can't imagine there's much demand for it what with his other massive residential project adjacent to it. I'd be happy with a scaled-down version - anything to fill those parking lots.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
I was just looking through this thread and saw this picture. I did some reading on the internet and found a post on a website from a while ago saying that phase 3 of the project (blue dot) is still in the planning stages. Any news on that tower?
Isn't that blue dot location where they built the Staybridge suites, NW corner of George and Caro line?

Or is that the NE corner?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 4:39 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
Isn't that blue dot location where they built the Staybridge suites, NW corner of George and Caro line?

Or is that the NE corner?
It's the NE corner. Staybridge is the pink dot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton