HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

UpperWest in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 11:37 PM

I registered and attended a preview event for the "Upper West" prelaunch happening soon. I got the usual base price list. Taking into account my minimum requirements, floor plans etc..., I punched some numbers, estimated the floor and view per diam and came up with a number that limits me to two possible units I am willing to move forward on. If someone reserves them before me, I am out the door.

Wow this is so dissapointing.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 9:22 PM

Snapped these two photos from the front door of the Amica at Westboro while visiting my mother there. They've mounted these two signs on the fence that seperates Amica from Rogers next door.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 2:46 AM

Sales Office Opens Nov 3rd at 10:00

On our walk from 1433 Wellington to Bridgehead on Golden we saw that the sales office is just about ready (the old American Apparel store at the corner of Richmond and Roosevelt I think), with red carpet on the sidewalk to the doorway and there was a notice in the window about opening hours.

I'll be there to see how many people are lining up (if any) for the "grand opening"

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 1:20 PM

What are the chances of the Rogers next door being sold to developers? It's a pretty big piece of land that could fit a good sized mixed-use development.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
What are the chances of the Rogers next door being sold to developers? It's a pretty big piece of land that could fit a good sized mixed-use development.
I'd say they're 99% if/when the Western LRT plans are sorted. Absent that, or in the meantime, I'd say they're more like even money, given that the pace and level of development in the area has to be getting pretty close to saturation at this point...

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 2:05 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
I'd say they're 99% if/when the Western LRT plans are sorted. Absent that, or in the meantime, I'd say they're more like even money, given that the pace and level of development in the area has to be getting pretty close to saturation at this point...
Rogers isn't really in need of money, and it would cost them a lot of money to move the TV studios and what is probably an internet citadel for the west end. That said, it would be nice for them to redevelop the property and have a more public face like CBC on Sparks and CTV in the market have.

The UpperWest sales centre has "...on the Ottawa River Parkway" in its signage and publicity. I guess Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway will never have the same kind of cachet

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 3:53 PM
inner city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exewau View Post
On our walk from 1433 Wellington to Bridgehead on Golden we saw that the sales office is just about ready (the old American Apparel store at the corner of Richmond and Roosevelt I think), with red carpet on the sidewalk to the doorway and there was a notice in the window about opening hours.I'll be there to see how many people are lining up (if any) for the "grand opening"
There may have been a pre-launch event this past weekend. I walked by and saw a good number of people in there shmoozing and looking at promotional material this past weekend (can't remember which day). They had the sidewalk decorated with red carpet, little potted trees and birch logs.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2012, 6:05 PM
Kickass User

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
There may have been a pre-launch event this past weekend. I walked by and saw a good number of people in there shmoozing and looking at promotional material this past weekend (can't remember which day). They had the sidewalk decorated with red carpet, little potted trees and birch logs.
I had a client who wanted to check it out. Ill upload the prices shortly. They had one unit (the smallest) which would probably be the best investment with the others.... a little... cough*high*cough. Client wasn't impressed, although the views are quite beautiful from the higher floors, need to watch clearances very closely!

www.MattRichling.com
www.NewPurveyors.com

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 12:42 AM

No Line Ups

Took a walk by around 10:00 Saturday, no line ups, in fact there were only about 6 or so people in the sales office.

We swung by about 2 hours later and there was more action with about 20 people, from the look of the sales board around half of the units had been reserved.

CTV were there and did a fluff piece on the 11:30 news.

We snagged a price list, cheapest suite was on the podium floors 1-5, 479 sq ft (no balcony)for $210,900, most expensive listed was a penthouse level unit, 1314 sq ft plus 133 sq ft balcony for $662,900, there was a 3 bed town house 1603 sq ft plus 405 sq ft balcony for $726,900.

Parking (only for 600 sq ft plus) was starting from $33,000, lockers are from $3,500

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 5:50 PM

price list & Citizen article

Price list is up

http://www.minto.com/buy-a-condo-in-...llections.html

532 sqft on floors 7 to 20 "starting at" $249,900 = $470/sqft

Info from the Citizen

Upper West launches in Westboro
http://www2.canada.com/ottawacitizen...b-cfd5dc47907c

UPPER WEST

* targeting LEED Gold
* What: 25-storey condominium development by Minto and Canderel
* 199-unit tower
* Price: Units starting at $249,900 and 532 square feet.
* Extras: Parking from $33,000; lockers $3,500; condo fees 42 cents per square foot per month
* Sales centre: 400 Richmond Rd.

Last edited by rakerman; Nov 5, 2012 at 5:56 PM. Reason: added LEED

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 8:03 PM
inner city

I live just southwest of "Upper West". Does that put me in the Hudson River, or Hells Kitchen?

Like Claridge's "Tribeca", and Ashcroft's "Central Park" ickishness, the lameness of this development's name is starting to very slightly bug me.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 8:23 PM
Kickass User

Here is my breakdown I posted HERE...

"Stopped by the public launch of UpperWest Condos in Westboro which is being built by Minto. Located at 485 Richmond Rd. Price list and floor plans available.

This past saturday, I stopped by the public launch of UpperWest condos located at 485 Richmond Rd in Westboro. There were about 40 people floating around the sales center, some signing contracts, some musing around the model suite, with others in to see what all the fuss is about. With local radio station Hot89.9FM, Bridgehead Coffee providing music and coffee, there was no shortage of people.

While my client didn’t move on a unit during our visit, he was impressed with the views from the higher floors, along with some of the floorplans. With 197 suites total, there won’t be a shortage of favorite units, appealing to all budgets.

The smallest unit Fraser (455sqft) and the Wilmont (479sqft) both studios, starting at $210,900 which would be located in floors 1-5 (the podium). There are a number of 6th floor Terrace suits, but the best being the regular and penthouse suits due to the view. The smallest unit 7thfloor and up is the Ashton (532sqft) starting at 249,900 facing south, followed by the Wesley (547sqft) at 249,900 facing East. Obviously the best views being dead north, followed by east and west. One trend we are seeing are the "balloon" photos which help show views from each unit to help give prospective clients the edge when purchasing without being able to see the finished product. This is a must in a building like UpperWest which is surrounded by existing buildings.

Parking is available starting at $33,000 for units more than 600sqft, and lockers from $3,500. The parking is all going to be above ground, which would save the developer HUGE costs since (from what we have previously been told) parking costs are usually about double what the developer charges, but must be included due to restrictions from the City of Ottawa.
Condo fee, or the maintenance fee will be approximately $0.42 per sqft. Deposit was another HUGE drawback, Minto is asking for 25% staggered throughout the process.

Expect UpperWest Condos to be completed sometime summer 2015.

www.MattRichling.com
www.NewPurveyors.com

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 3:19 AM
National Capital Region

renders from their website... the podium has changed a bit but still looks good!
http://www.minto.com/buy-a-condo-in-...llery~801.html

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 3:47 AM

The prices being asked for such small living spaces in Ottawa is kinda crazy...The newer renders do look nice though, and this would be a neighbor for the Metropole in terms of being another modern highrise in the skyline, making it stand out less like a sore thumb when viewed from a distance.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 10:45 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 12:48 PM

not sure... but something's wrong with the design... too bulky?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanfromnowhere View Post
not sure... but something's wrong with the design... too bulky?
that's what i was thinking..this thing is basically in a field and the podium looks fit for centretown. very weird.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 7:35 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
that's what i was thinking..this thing is basically in a field and the podium looks fit for centretown. very weird.
Agreed, it would look better in a more urban-looking area like downtown. But as there is a bit more density in Westboro, fronting it along Richmond Road would look much better. I kind of wish that the Continental were around this area and not further West on Richmond. it would add for an interesting skyline.

In any case, I like the height (definitely taller than recent condos in the area) and the design isn't a square box. I usually live/ grew up (I'm at McGill, currently) in the Westboro/Wellington West/ Hintonburg area, and while i like that Minto Metropole and this building (plus the Rhombus) are different shapes and designs, it's a bit sad that they aren't closer to downtown. It seems like all the interesting buildings are being constructed elsewhere.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 10:35 PM
Busy Beaver

The podium could be a more interesting shape, maybe reflect a bit of the tower's curves, instead of looking like a slice of square cake with a candle on top. From a distance it's hard to figure out where the main entrance to this place is supposed to be.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 1:15 AM
National Capital Region

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa