HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 9:26 PM
Density and complexity

Winnipeg from the roof II

To where I would be climbing, but not using these fire escapes

Southward on Princess Street. On the top floor of the tall building on the right, the Ryan Building, is where Winnipeg-born writer Jack Ludwig hammered out his first novel Confessions in 1963

Northward, up Princess St., the west side of which is a relatively continuous ten-block-long row of turn of the century buildings. The crook in the road is where the city's market square once was

The tops of the buildings were adorned with graffiti, leftovers of late-night parties by the buildings occupants and visitors

The impressive Silpit building, at left, and down a seemingly canyonesque Garry Street, at right

One of the many narrow airshafts at the buildings' inside walls. The air was warm and smelled like hot water radiators and dust covered wood

On ground level, looking to one of the buildings I was just on, the Maltese Cross Building

And, to where I was going, to the top of the Silpit Building, recently purchased by bigshot Toronto developers who will be converting to class one office space

Looking east to the backside of the Royal Albert Arms (yellow with red fire doors). Built in 1913 to accomodate commercial travellers in Winnipeg's burgeoning business and warehouse district, the Albert's fortunes ebbed with the city's. The 60s, wrote Ted Allan, saw the Albert "regain a degree of sangfroid, with actors working the Manitoba Theatre Centre, starving artists wearing their integrity on their ragged sleeves, visiting jazzmen and folkies playing local clubs living fraternally with the Albert's parchment-faced old men, brown bag winos and creatures of the night who spoke to themselves in thunderous soliloquies."

What the grafitti on the roof of the Silpit building lacked in artistry, it made up for in age

Looking down east on McDermot Avenue

Peeking from (new) Market Square to the Conderation Life building on Main Street

In the Exchange District east of Main Street, the handywork of local "arts collective" Two-Six festoon hydro poles on John Hirsch Place, a lane between Bannatyne and Market Avenues, roughly where Brown's Creek ran from the Red River to City Hall. The lane was named in honor of John Hirsch whose pioneering efforts in local theatre led to the formation of the Manitoba Theatre Centre

The inescapable towers of the Portage and Main

Looking up close at the eastern portion of the Exchange District

...and east, to Waterfront Drive, the Red River, and St. Boniface

A pulley over John Hirsch Pl., a remnant no doubt of railway spur line that replaced Brown's Creek, up the alley, to serve J.H. Ashdown's warehouse

1ajs, this photo is for you: Point Douglas and Waterfront Drive condos under construction

Way off the in the distance, the grotesque apartment towers of North Kildonan

Up on Main, past my barber shop, where the combined years of experience of the two barbers is seventy-seven

On another roof, looking south on Main St. and to some hidden sinage on the Allman Block

Across the street to where work/live space for artists is popping up. In the background, the Disraeli 'freeway' and the remnants of south Point Douglas it so mercifully spared

Peaking through a skylight, where mixed-use upper floors are now occupied only by pigeons

Last edited by rgalston; Nov 22, 2006 at 9:40 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 10:02 PM

Winnipeg's exchange district has always been a gold mine of possibility. I hope the re-development of it works out and includes an ability to fully live within it..ie grocery stores etc.

keep the pawn brokers out of the area and all should work out just fine. ie less desirables walking around.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 12:22 AM
Mooderator

Your photos have a really haunting quality to them that I envy. Wish I could do that.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 12:30 AM
Reach for the Clouds

How exactly do you climb? Good post, though being old I wish your pics were bigger!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 12:39 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wow new angles sweet veiws rgalston sure was beutifull out today eh?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 7:34 AM

really great photos. Must be fun getting up on those roofs...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 10:47 AM
Wiki Ricki

Great job as always flar.....Keep up the great work!!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2006, 1:11 AM

Very nice shots. I used to live in the ole Peg and I loved riding my bike to the Exchange area just to look at the buildings. What was always neat as well, was how different they looked at different times of the day.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2006, 2:35 AM

Love the roof top shots ;-) Can't get enough of that, and the Exchange District!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2006, 2:44 AM

I love those photos!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 12:59 AM

Outstanding shots again.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 3:02 AM

These are indeed Superb! WoW.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 6:14 AM

Excellent photos. I love the use of lighting in them.

Seeing the photograph of the Royal Albert, I recall an interesting story. My grandfather used to work at the hotel back in the 1950's, and one of his jobs during his time at the place was as a masseuse. Now one day Howard Hughes pays a visit to the city and is staying at the Royal Albert. As it should happen, he gets a massage from my grandfather, and they strike up a conversation as the massage goes on. During one point Howard Hughes asks my grandfather about the family, and my grandfather tell him he has two young boys at home. After the massage, Howard Hughes pulls out a $100 bill and hands it to my grandfather saying "go and buy your boys some new shoes". My dad absolutely loves telling the story about the time Howard Hughes bought him new shoes.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2006, 5:36 AM

Interesting

Old Posted Dec 27, 2006, 11:14 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Cool set of pics. I liked the 4th one the best. Thanks for sharing these with us.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Dec 30, 2006, 11:17 PM
urbanYVR.com

fantastic!!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos