HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 10:53 PM

MIDTOWN | 1081 Juniper ST | 38 & 34 floors

• 470 units
  • 38-story, 320-unit Phase 1
  • 34-story, 150-unit Phase 2
  • 9,000 square feet of retail

Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge

Last edited by smArTaLlone; May 31, 2023 at 2:00 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 10:54 PM

Einstein's demolition

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 11:21 AM

Is this for sure happening? Like, for sure?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 3:20 PM

If it does happen, I wish they'd stick with the white banding/facing instead of the mocha in the later renderings. Makes the building look sleeker and smoother.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 6:13 PM

Is it me, or does there seem to be a building height discrepancy from one rendering to another? In some renderings, the proposed buildings appear to be quite tall and in others they appear to be shorter in scale.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
Is it me, or does there seem to be a building height discrepancy from one rendering to another? In some renderings, the proposed buildings appear to be quite tall and in others they appear to be shorter in scale.
Maybe it's the perspective.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 12:42 AM

Some of those renderings look way off. It won't be as tall as the PWC building unless its ceilings are several feet higher than normal.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 3:41 PM

If it's taller than Mayfair Renaissance this will have a huge visual impact from Piedmont Park. Love to see it!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
Some of those renderings look way off. It won't be as tall as the PWC building unless its ceilings are several feet higher than normal.
Where in any rendering does it show it taller than the PWC building?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 6:04 PM

Idk. It looks like a cross between a beehive and those giant termite towers they have in Australia. Mainly just pissed they are removing those giant oaks for another tower. I am over the whole height wars thing and am ready to see Atlanta move on to more people-oriented development. We really have enough towers and definitely enough parking decks/lots.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 7:26 PM

Yeah none of the renderings show either tower to be taller than PWC. They also all appear consistent at every angle and perspective. Not sure what y’all are seeing….

I also appreciate the change in architectural style and colors to add some diversity from the white and glass towers of the past 5 years throughout midtown. It’s a collection of all the different styles that make a city’s skyline beautiful.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Idk. It looks like a cross between a beehive and those giant termite towers they have in Australia. Mainly just pissed they are removing those giant oaks for another tower. I am over the whole height wars thing and am ready to see Atlanta move on to more people-oriented development. We really have enough towers and definitely enough parking decks/lots.
This adds housing and density to the site. The height is irrelevant, but this is a way better land usage than a couple of former single family homes. If we don't build stuff like this here, even more trees are lost out in the suburbs where the housing would be built instead.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post
Where in any rendering does it show it taller than the PWC building?
No rendering shows it being taller. I said "as tall," which is what this one shows.

Maybe they're planing for 11-12' ceilings, I don't know.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
No rendering shows it being taller. I said "as tall," which is what this one shows.

Maybe they're planing for 11-12' ceilings, I don't know.
Bro, 1081 Juniper is in the foreground and it's still a good bit shorter.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
This adds housing and density to the site. The height is irrelevant, but this is a way better land usage than a couple of former single family homes. If we don't build stuff like this here, even more trees are lost out in the suburbs where the housing would be built instead.
You make a good point; however, there's another factor to consider. Paradoxically, some of the oldest growth trees in the area are located in the city limits. 70-80 years ago, much of the area that is now forested in the suburbs were cotton fields. This is why it's more common to see pine-dominant monoculture forest in the suburbs; the forest there has not been around long enough to develop old growth trees. It takes a lot longer to replace trees like those at Joe's and Einstein's than it does a few acres of scrubby pines.

I do get what you're saying and am glad the massive clearcutting that used to be super common before the housing crash in '08 has given way to smarter development, that is progress. But the age of trees and the ecological diversity they provide needs to be scrutinized more closely than it has been in recent years. Midtown has lost a lot of old trees recently, and it shows.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Midtown has lost a lot of old trees recently, and it shows.
Yes, the center of Midtown has lost a handful of beautiful large trees. But there has been a net increase of trees thanks to efforts of Midtown Alliance and Trees Atlanta. Lots with a run down one story building and two big trees are being replaced by Midrise apartments where the sidewalks are lined with dozens of trees. I think that will be the case for this lot as well - an overall increase in trees, as previously there were no street trees in the sidewalk along Juniper. It will just take a few decades for the new trees to really fill out.

Another example - the tech square expansion site (NE corner of Spring and 5th) had one large tree removed when they knocked down the buildings. ONE. And I heard several people complaining about it and opposing the development. Meanwhile, once they build the next phase, they'll be adding dozens of new trees.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 9:30 PM

Irrespective of what the renders do or do not show, we can be reasonably confident that the building is not going to exceed 400 ft since it is in the SA2 JSTA sub-area.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 12:23 AM

We know the elevations. They were presented at the April DRC meeting. The 38 story tower is 387’ and the 34 story is 376’ I believe.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 5:01 PM

Site clearing continues

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 1:19 PM

Site Prep is underway

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta