HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 2:31 AM

I was at that Committee meeting, and it was an interesting experience to say the least. Every item of the day, including the amendment to the height of building 2B of Oblates, was approved.

I felt bad for the mass of Old Ottawa East residents that had sat in the gallery with me. I also felt bad for Councillor Menard. All of the retirees and seniors that had come to speak in opposition looked so betrayed, hurt, and sad as they quietly left the chambers in defeat. Mr. Menard was put between a rock and a hard place, and may have likely lost some of the faith of his constituents, albeit if only a little compared to his committee counterparts.

This meeting, which took all day, gave me some valuable insight, and I have a better sense/expectation of what will happen with future development projects. One thing that was for certain, is that some of the Community Development Plans are very outdated, Riverside being one of them for sure.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 11:02 AM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 1:08 PM

I was surprised the other week to learn buildings 2B and neighbouring 2A are to be rental rather than condo apartments.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 4:49 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Toronto-based Fengate joins Regional Group on Greystone Village project ahead of appeal

By: David Sali, OBJ
Published: Oct 18, 2019 8:45am EDT

As its controversial plan to build two new apartment buildings near a heritage site in Old Ottawa East heads toward an appeal, Regional Group is bringing in a major real estate investment firm as a partner in the project.

Toronto-based Fengate Asset Management said this week it’s joining the latest phase of Regional Group’s Greystone Village development as a “joint decision-maker” and investor. The LiUNA Pension Fund of Central and Eastern Canada has also signed on as a financial partner.

Fengate, which has offices in the GTA, Houston, Vancouver and New York, manages more than $20 billion worth of assets. The two mixed-use buildings on Oblats Avenue will be its first venture into the Ottawa market.

The six- and nine-storey structures will be located at the entrance to Greystone Village, a 26-acre development between Main Street and the Rideau River that’s being built near the historic Edifice Deschâtelets Scholasticate Monastery and is expected to eventually include more than 1,000 housing units.

Fengate managing director Jaime McKenna said the buildings’ close proximity to the Glebe and the Lees LRT station as well as the project’s blend of green space and amenities such as fitness facilities make it a prime opportunity.

“Everything about it hit all the marks,” McKenna said Thursday while taking a break from the Ottawa Real Estate Forum. “It was pretty easy to get our heads around why this was a logical investment.”

With a price tag north of $125 million, the latest phase of Greystone Village consists of a six-storey and a nine-storey building with a total of nearly 20,000 square feet of retail space and 245 rental apartment units. Ottawa council gave the project the green light in July by a vote of 14-9, but the approval did not come without controversy.

A group of nearby residents fought Regional Group’s request to boost the height of one of the buildings from six to nine storeys, arguing a taller structure would overshadow the heritage Deschâtelets building and the Grand All​ée leading up to it. Opponents of the project are now taking their case to the province’s Local Planning Appeal Tribunal, which mediates such disputes.

McKenna downplayed the appeal, saying she believes that once residents of Old Ottawa East get a full picture of the development’s benefits to the neighbourhood, they’ll come on side.

“That’s not uncommon for us to go to LPAT and have to defend some of the approvals we’ve requested,” she said. “I empathize with that. It’s an opportunity for the community to voice their concerns and for us to share with the community our vision. It doesn’t concern me.”

Regional Group chief operating officer Dave Wallace said critics of the project are ignoring many “positive planned changes” to the surrounding area.

He said his company is in talks to sell the heritage building to a local French school board, the Conseil des écoles catholiques du Centre-Est, which intends to convert it into a school and community centre. Regional Group is also negotiating to sell some of the adjacent property to the City of Ottawa as a site for a public gymnasium, Wallace added.

“Those were two tremendously positive changes in the plan that the community did not talk about, nor did any of the local politicians,” he said.

Wallace said he’s confident the proposal will go ahead.

“We’re always trying to do the best thing in terms of the plan and the design, and we felt that that site was more than capable of handling that density,” he said. “We know there’s a need for it. We don’t ever try to confidently predict an outcome, but we do believe we will ultimately prevail on appeal.”

The six-storey building is already under construction and is expected to be ready for occupancy within two years. Pending the outcome of the LPAT challenge, Wallace says Regional hopes to break ground on the nine-storey structure sometime in 2020.

McKenna said there could be future opportunities for collaboration between Fengate and Regional, adding her company is eager to expand its footprint in the National Capital Region.

“I think this will be a key place for us to invest,” she said. “I love the economic dynamics of Ottawa. We tick all the boxes here.”

https://obj.ca/article/toronto-based...t-ahead-appeal

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 12:02 PM

Good progress on the the River Terraces I and II buildings. I don't know how I feel about their placement within the community.

Link to the live construction webcam:

https://webcampub.multivista.com/ind...25B8E8B1&HLS=1

Looks like they're prepping the site to start digging for the rental apartments:

https://webcampub.multivista.com/ind...D5A0965F&HLS=1

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 11:05 PM
National Capital Region

Permit issued for Building 2A

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 6:39 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Block 2B is now an 8-storey rental apartment building:

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__AZ4CKJ

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 6:46 PM

So, one storey shorter than 2A? I remain surprised that these are going to be rentals rather than condos, but the shift in the market toward (high end) rentals seems to be gaining momentum.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
So, one storey shorter than 2A? I remain surprised that these are going to be rentals rather than condos, but the shift in the market toward (high end) rentals seems to be gaining momentum.
The site plan says 2A=6 fl; 2B=8 fl.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
The site plan says 2A=6 fl; 2B=8 fl.
I thought 2A was the one that was increased to 9 storeys, amid controversy. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I thought 2A was the one that was increased to 9 storeys, amid controversy. Perhaps I'm mistaken.
It looks like it was previously proposed as 9 storeys. Maybe they have compromised at 8?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 5:46 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

360 Deschâtelets Ave | 28m | 9f | Proposed

The proposed development at 360 Deschâtelets Avenue (Building 1C) is a nine-storey residential building, comprising 85 apartment units. The building footprint is 9,216 square feet. The building is located on the corner of Hazel Street and Deschâtelets Avenue. The main entrance of the building will be on Deschâtelets Avenue off a circular walkway. A side exit will be on the western interior yard of the building. Access to the parking garage is located on the north-eastern section of the building leading to the underground parking garage.

The building includes two storeys of underground parking with 63 residential spaces and 7 residential visitor spaces. The building provides 43 bicycle parking spaces to serve the residents. The second level of underground parking includes 55 storage lockers, and the first level of underground parking includes the garbage room.

A rooftop amenity area is proposed to provide additional leisure space for residents. This includes a north east and north west facing terrace. Garden plots are located throughout the roof allowing residents to add their own character to the rooftop though rooftop garden plots. The rooftop amenity area is serviced by a universal washroom. This washroom will provide access to water for the residents that wish to garden and provide access to washrooms for those working in the mechanical room. Further, an outdoor sink provides water access to residents.

Architect: Hobin Architecture

Development application:
https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__BQ9CGX

Siteplan:

Elevations:

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 8:09 PM

Is this one in sales yet?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 10:13 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The Regional Group is proposing the adaptive reuse of the Deschâtelets building into a community centre and elementary school in Greystone Village, including the demolition of the "Chapel Wing".

Architect: Hobin Architecture

Development application:
https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__BSH53K

Original Site:

Proposed Siteplan:

Elevations & Renderings:

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 12:02 AM

^ Nice mix of uses: community centre, elementary school and affordable housing on the top 2 floors.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 9:49 PM

If this is an elementary school, where is the yard? I see a daycare yard, but no playgrounds or soccer fields or anything...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 10:11 PM

It's very rare nowadays, at least in Ottawa, to see an adaptive re-use. Façadism seems to be the default 99% of the time.

Hoping they can do the same with the Soeurs du Sacré-Coeur building as well.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
If this is an elementary school, where is the yard? I see a daycare yard, but no playgrounds or soccer fields or anything...
I assume some of those elements will be in the future park directly in front of (west) of the building.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 1:43 PM

It's a shame they want to tear down the Chapel Wing. Its stained glass windows are one of the most interesting aspects of the building. It could still be used for weddings, large events

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureWickedCity View Post
It's a shame they want to tear down the Chapel Wing. Its stained glass windows are one of the most interesting aspects of the building. It could still be used for weddings, large events
It is a shame. Looks like an amazing space inside (based on the pics included in the app). Too bad they couldn't preserve it as a gym (instead of building a new one, though it's an odd shape for a gym) or a performance space, or as you say, just an event space.

Still happy with the overall proposal. Far better than most heritage "preservation" we see in this city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa