HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 7:19 PM

Sorry:

Level / Commercial Exchange by Hunter, on Flickr

Alexan Site by Hunter, on Flickr

Olympic & Broadway by Hunter, on Flickr

Wilshire Grand by Hunter, on Flickr

9th Street by Hunter, on Flickr

Hanover Olympic & Olive by Hunter, on Flickr

Lennar Olympic & Olive by Hunter, on Flickr

Ten50 by Hunter, on Flickr

Broadway Palace by Hunter, on Flickr

11th & Main by Hunter, on Flickr

11th & Main by Hunter, on Flickr

Los Angeles Street by Hunter, on Flickr

Los Angeles Street by Hunter, on Flickr

Eighth & Grand by Hunter, on Flickr

South Park by Hunter, on Flickr

At Mateo by Hunter, on Flickr

Los Angeles Skyline by Hunter, on Flickr

Oceanwide Plaza & Circa by Hunter, on Flickr

6th & Bixel by Hunter, on Flickr

Regional Connector by Hunter, on Flickr

Federal Courthouse by Hunter, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 7:42 PM

^What are they building in that second to last picture?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
Underground light rail station.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
I believe that's the station for the Regional Connector.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 11:02 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Great shots, Hunter! Wait until you do this in two years. Many of those views will be drastically different.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 3:38 AM

Single rendering for SoHo House in the AD:

Link to Curbed article: http://la.curbed.com/2016/3/4/111621...soho-warehouse

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheBay View Post
I believe that's the station for the Regional Connector.
Thanks...I've just moved downtown about a month ago and was trying to find information on what was being built.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
Sorry:
not sure why you're apologizing for your pics. Such photos help keep this thread alive & timely!

however, they do often capture glimpses of the still unresolved parts of dt.....of the things that make most ppl uneasy. Am I talking about new devlpt that's not taller or not architecturally fantastic? no. we should be so lucky if that really were the main sticking point in dt or other parts of town.

some forumers were commenting a few posts back about tourists in LA & what sights help attract ppl from far & wide.....such as what may be true of the glass slide planned for the top of the us bank tower. Those type of features grab ppl's attention & curiosity. they cause positive interest.

in contrast to that, this writer detected feedback....from ppl living not in nocal or SF, or places like seattle, but way across the atlantic....caused by something else.

Quote:
“Los Angeles? Sorry to hear that,” smirked one colleague in 2006 when I told him my wife and I would be leaving London for the west coast to work as a correspondent for the Financial Times. His reaction was fairly typical: most people responded as if my new posting was in Siberia rather than southern California. “I went to LA once,” one friend said, with a shudder. “All I saw were freeways. Horrible place.”

Eight years and three children later we are finally leaving Los Angeles and I am delighted to reveal that the doomsayers were wrong. The city is not the Botoxed, gridlocked, cultural wasteland they warned me about. It is, in fact, a glorious place: a collection of distinct districts, like Venice, or Los Feliz, each with their own flavour and character. The traffic is no worse than London (with its straight, long boulevards LA is easier to navigate), there is stunning architecture everywhere, the beaches are beautiful and the sun shines most days.

^ I think the visceral response of 'horrible' from ppl dealing with LA during a vacation is due to too much of what some forumers have often applied to new devlpt in dtla but really needs to be applied to other things.....the things that really deserve that description. too much of the type of devlpt that justifies being labeled accordingly....

hunter on flickr

hunter on flickr

southdacola.com

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 5:43 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ It's funny, I was looking at Hunter's (great) pictures and thought the same thing about the building housing Diva's Designs (great name!). I'd wager with the openings of the buildings around it, that building's days are numbered.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 6:15 PM

Yes, CityWatch we know where you stand. I skimmed your post and believe I saw something about someone saying something about L.A. in 2006; opinions about the city a decade ago and further are irrelevant. The city has done much to improve its status as an urban center/world capital in the 2000s/2010s. Obviously, there is much more work to do, but judging from the tourism numbers and general lauding of museums and transit improvements in the international press, the city is turning the tide on the PR battle.

As far as those shitbox one-story buildings near Olympic/Broadway: yes, I will volunteer to start knocking them down myself, especially that hideous thing across from Palmer's under-construction fortress. Was it a Chuck E. Cheese?

Speaking of unexplained color combinations, the DD is near opening. Stick to the coffee!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 6:43 PM

Cranes are going up at Oceanwide Plaza.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonLA View Post
I saw something about someone saying something about L.A. in 2006; opinions about the city a decade ago and further are irrelevant.
I want to say the same thing. however, there's something about LA that makes it like the perennial black sheep of the family, the ugly sister to that sibling up north, the one with cable cars & a big bridge. that place, in comparison, has always inspired praise, whether deserved or not.

the comments made to the reporter for a newspaper in london sounded exactly like what ppl in places like nocal or maybe down in san diego have said about LA for a long time.....or what others have said for a longer time than imagined.....

Quote:
Despite the fact he found Los Angeles "an ugly city, hot and oppressive," Charlie Chaplin lived and worked here from late December, 1913, when he joined Mack Sennett's Keystone Co., to Sept. 6, 1952, when he left for England, later to be barredfrom returning to the United States by the federal government.

btw, that bldg at the corner of 8th & olive really is the epitome of a 'shitbox'. The only good thing about it has been the colori restaurant facing 8th st, but it's one of those parts of dt that have long made me wince when passing by.

I was hoping the owner was at least going to paint his bldg a better color, but if the barricades around the ground floor have been removed...& that orange stripe is about the only change that will be made.....no such luck.

I hope this is a sign that sales actually aren't so sluggish on broadway....

Quote:

apparelnews.net

Who would have thought a few years ago that so many European retailers would be seeking an outpost at the corner of Broadway and Ninth Street. But the location just keeps getting better and better even though the retail prices keep getting higher and higher.

The latest Euro retailer to sign a lease is Mykita, the Germany company that has only one other retail store in the United States, located, of course, in New York. But California will soon be in the mix. Other Mykita emporiums are in Paris, Vienna, Zurich, Zermatt, Berlin, Tokyo, Cartagena (Colombia) and Monterrey (Mexico).

Mykita is taking over the store recently vacated by Angelo Home, a cute furniture store on the ground floor of the Eastern Columbia building - that turquoise Art Deco structure that once was a department store and now a condo complex. Mykita's neighbors will be A.P.C. - the French retailer located on Ninth Street, and the Swedish retailer Acne Studios, also located on the ground floor of the Eastern Columbia building.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 7:46 PM
Icebrg

Not cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonLA View Post
Yes, CityWatch we know where you stand. I skimmed your post and believe I saw something about someone saying something about L.A. in 2006; opinions about the city a decade ago and further are irrelevant. The city has done much to improve its status as an urban center/world capital in the 2000s/2010s. Obviously, there is much more work to do, but judging from the tourism numbers and general lauding of museums and transit improvements in the international press, the city is turning the tide on the PR battle.

As far as those shitbox one-story buildings near Olympic/Broadway: yes, I will volunteer to start knocking them down myself, especially that hideous thing across from Palmer's under-construction fortress. Was it a Chuck E. Cheese?

Speaking of unexplained color combinations, the DD is near opening. Stick to the coffee!

SimonLA it is not cool to steal someone else's photo and repost. By doing so it implies it was one you took.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 8:20 PM

Crane action at Oceanwide Plaza. Picture taken by me this morning...

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
I want to say the same thing. however, there's something about LA that makes it like the perennial black sheep of the family, the ugly sister to that sibling up north, the one with cable cars & a big bridge. that place, in comparison, has always inspired praise, whether deserved or not.

the comments made to the reporter for a newspaper in london sounded exactly like what ppl in places like nocal or maybe down in san diego have said about LA for a long time.....or what others have said for a longer time than imagined.....
Black sheep?

SF is picturesque with its cable cars and red bridge. But LA is an art capital with its gallery scene, its art schools, its architects, the intellectual and financial capital of the Getty, and all the internationally-recognized artists who live and make work here.

For all of its wealth, SF simply does not have the cultural assets that LA has been able to amass. Just look around. For every strip mall that you think shows how inferior LA is, there is a significant Gehry or Mayne building. Indeed, I will dare say there is more noteworthy architecture in LA than there is in SF.

Which is why I find it hard to believe that culturally literate people are saying the things you claim they are saying. I took an architecture class taught by Vin Scully (the professor, not the announcer for the Dodgers). He covered the Johnson and Neutra buildings in Garden Grove and numerous buildings in LA proper; he didn't even mention the Transamerica tower in SF. Indeed, in the late 80's, Yale held a conference on the LA School in Architecture, which featured Gehry and Mayne in person. Gehry had yet to design WD Hall and Bilbao, but the architectural community was already interested in what was happening in LA. In 2006, there was even an exhibition at the Pompidou Center in Paris titled LA 1955-1985: Birth of an Art Capital.

I won't go into what has happened since 2006. I think the rest should be obvious.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 12:35 AM

How lucky are we to have Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego all in one state? Each city excels in ways that the others do not. Let's not have a pissing contest.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
How lucky are we to have Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego all in one state? Each city excels in ways that the others do not. Let's not have a pissing contest.
WEST COAST=BEST COAST

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebrg View Post
SimonLA it is not cool to steal someone else's photo and repost. By doing so it implies it was one you took.
Sorry! Is it ok to post next time if I credit?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName01010 View Post
Crane action at Oceanwide Plaza. Picture taken by me this morning...

I walked by the site today and noticed this as well. There are 3 crane bases and lots of activity. Whatever slow down we were experiencing is now done... This baby is going full steam now

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 8:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
We all excel at not building adequate structures too!

Last edited by ChargerCarl; Mar 6, 2016 at 10:19 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations