HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
I feel like many riders my choose to take the Canada Line into Downtown instead, not good for crowding.
There are likely to be a lot more people who will bypass Downtown Van as they won't need to travel there to transfer between Skytrain lines - they'll be able to do it at Broadway-City Hall instead.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
then there are the VIA Rail trains, Seattle bound trains and Mountaineer as well.
And The Canadian thrice weekly...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 9:46 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 8:34 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 9:48 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 8:34 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
The Canadian is the VIA rail train being referred to. I wouldn't be surprised if it was cancelled for most of the year though given that VIA seems completely fine with operating it more than 10+ hours late on a regular basis, and the trains aren't up for renewal.
If you have ever been on the train, it is obvious there is a lot of slack in the scheduled. Spend an entire day in Winnipeg refueling. Jasper is a few hours.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 3:51 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 8:33 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
The slack has increased, it serves virtually no practical purpose as a method of transportation. The Canadian is very much on its last legs.
It's been a tourist train for decades now, and the trains are considerably longer and fuller now than they were in 1955 when it was first launched. Over the last couple of years they've been renovating some of the cars to provide more luxurious staterooms at even higher prices. I strongly doubt it's going anywhere soon.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 11:18 PM

Please get back to the topic! Skytrain Renovations. Thank's

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 5:19 AM

So, in regards to the overhead walkway fiasco in Metrotown (or in better words, the bizarre lack there of) I was just in Kitakyushi City last week for a work event.

While there I decided to take a bunch of pictures on how the Japanese integrate major stations into the urban surroundings.

While it is not perfect, I do wish that Metrotown (and other stations) would at least adopt a couple of these aspects.

Sp, this is Kokura Station, the main station for an urban area with a population just under 1 million.

First, inside the station. Large and grande.

Inside Kokura Station by Ian, on Flickr

One of the several entrances. Please note the width!

Kokura Station Entrance by Ian, on Flickr

Looking out the south exit. Look at the elevated mono rail running down the middle of an urban street! (Something that will scare those in Surrey especially). Also note that those are all elevated walkways.

Kokura Station Monorail by Ian, on Flickr

Numerous elevated walkways connect the station to surrounding shopping centres / streets while having roads / a major bus depot / taxi depot / bike parking below them.

Downtown Kitakyushu by Ian, on Flickr

Outside Kokura Station by Ian, on Flickr

This one leads right into the cities entertainment district. Please not the multi story buildings with countless bars , restaurants and clubs. Not everything is on the first floor and many of these establishments only fit up to 10 people, making them far more interesting in character than the huge industrial style run bars and clubs in Vancouver. Also note all the signs. This area gets bright and funky at night.

Kitakyushu by Ian, on Flickr

This walkway is on the north side of the station, connecting it to several conference centres and major hotels, and it runs above a major street and even has airport style moving walkways!

Walkways near Kokura Station by Ian, on Flickr

Personally for the Metrotown area I would love to see something between what they are proposing and what is depicted in my pics above.

Also note the foot traffic was light at this time because it was mid afternoon. Rush hour is a very different story. And the street life around the station (such as the entertainment zone) is very very active, and hasn't been "killed" by such walkways, especially on the south side.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 5:31 AM
D-Class Suburbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
So, in regards to the overhead walkway fiasco in Metrotown (or in better words, the bizarre lack there of) I was just in Kitakyushi City last week for a work event.

While there I decided to take a bunch of pictures on how the Japanese integrate major stations into the urban surroundings.

While it is not perfect, I do wish that Metrotown (and other stations) would at least adopt a couple of these aspects.

Sp, this is Kokura Station, the main station for an urban area with a population just under 1 million.

First, inside the station. Large and grande.

Inside Kokura Station by Ian, on Flickr

One of the several entrances. Please note the width!

Kokura Station Entrance by Ian, on Flickr

Looking out the south exit. Look at the elevated mono rail running down the middle of an urban street! (Something that will scare those in Surrey especially). Also note that those are all elevated walkways.

Numerous elevated walkways connect the station to surrounding shopping centres / streets while having roads / a major bus depot / taxi depot / bike parking below them.

Downtown Kitakyushu by Ian, on Flickr

This one leads right into the cities entertainment district. Please not the multi story buildings with countless bars , restaurants and clubs. Not everything is on the first floor and many of these establishments only fit up to 10 people, making them far more interesting in character than the huge industrial style run bars and clubs in Vancouver. Also note all the signs. This area gets bright and funky at night.

Kitakyushu by Ian, on Flickr

This walkway is on the north side of the station, connecting it to several conference centres and major hotels, and it runs above a major street and even has airport style moving walkways!

Walkways near Kokura Station by Ian, on Flickr

Personally for the Metrotown area I would love to see something between what they are proposing and what is depicted in my pics above.

Also note the foot traffic was light at this time because it was mid afternoon. Rush hour is a very different story. And the street life around the station (such as the entertainment zone) is very very active, and hasn't been "killed" by such walkways, especially on the south side.
I really like how the design and infrastructure is implemented around these stations.

Unfortunately, Corrigan will have a different view looking at these pictures.

Last edited by Firebrand; Mar 29, 2018 at 5:32 AM. Reason: Missing punctuation.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post

I think the station that might come close to this is New Westminster, but that's a long way from what you've shown us here. I think it's a great vision for how our more transit-oriented development stations (Metrotown, New West, Brentwood, Lougheed, Surrey Central, and maybe Lincoln in 50 years) can become.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 4:27 PM

And these are only Monorail stations, and not even the highly-regarded Shinkansen Stations. Also note how nicely things are maintained in Japan.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 5:23 PM

The width of the canopies on the walkways would be great for rainy days, and they're all fitted with solar panels too.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 6:09 PM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
I think the station that might come close to this is New Westminster, but that's a long way from what you've shown us here. I think it's a great vision for how our more transit-oriented development stations (Metrotown, New West, Brentwood, Lougheed, Surrey Central, and maybe Lincoln in 50 years) can become.
When Metrotown station renos where announced I was hoping the design would be at least driven towards something that New West Station was transformed into. Compared to Japan we are bush league in terms of station integration and design (although I do like our SkyTrain technology with automation).

The new Metrotown station does look nice and grand compared to the old one, but it is now even less integrated then before...It looks so sterile, sitting in the middle between things...It's just sad that this opportunity was missed for probably the next 20-30 years...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
When Metrotown station renos where announced I was hoping the design would be at least driven towards something that New West Station was transformed into. Compared to Japan we are bush league in terms of station integration and design (although I do like our SkyTrain technology with automation).

The new Metrotown station does look nice and grand compared to the old one, but it is now even less integrated then before...It looks so sterile, sitting in the middle between things...It's just sad that this opportunity was missed for probably the next 20-30 years...
This is Vancouver, they're always going to be short-sighted. That hasn't changed EVER. There is no vision for transit, and the business side of things is terrible in this province. We compare to Asia and dream to have our transit stations be more incorporated like places in Japan, but I don't think that'll ever happen in Van. Not for a long, long, long, long time.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 12:25 AM

^ Pretty much - our politicians may dream of Manhattan, but their worldview is still firmly stuck in Kelowna.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 2:41 AM

This forum is really about discussion rather than complaining.

Meaningful posts go a long way versus endless rants

I can totally understand your frustration about how some of our transit investments are low in magnitude. Since this city is still very car-centric and since convincing the majority that transit investment should trump catering to continued outward growth that relies on the automobile isn't in our best interests is difficult we can partially understand why our system is what it is.

That being said, let's use the forum to discuss these decisions critically and offer solutions and potentials, maybe find the small things to celebrate rather than posts that simply complain. A lot of s have enjoyed this forum for a long time because of the various opinions and comparisons offered.

What is really cool at the moment is a massive investment in transit happening right now, and tremendous ridership growth. We could be at a tipping point now that shifts investment more in favour of transit oriented development

Last edited by TransitJack; Mar 30, 2018 at 3:25 AM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 5:30 AM

Lougheed TC will be ok if it goes to plan, with the overpasses, retail and elevated walkways etc.

shapeproperties.com

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 6:23 AM
SkyTrain Nut

That took a few seconds to register what I was looking at.

That is one hell of an ambitious concept.

Last edited by MIPS; Mar 31, 2018 at 4:50 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 6:30 AM

(stands and applauds) Now THAT is good street planning... though would it be possible to put a SkyTrain entrance & mezzanine and the elevated street on the same level?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure