HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 10:05 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakster View Post
Still the dining scene out here is healthy, especially coffee wise as we have Phil & Sebastian at Mountain Mercato, Intelligentsia at Communitea & the best pastries at the new incarnation of Gourmet Croissant!!
GC made the best pastries I've had in Canada- well maybe on par with Yann's in Calgary. Stunning. Great to hear about its resurrection.

Also great news about Mercato- They had been using Illy (just like Mercato on 4th in Calgary- are they the same owners?) and paying/charging an arm and a leg for stale swill. Horrible. The price per lb came to something like $32 for beans that are, I repeat, stale, stale before they ever make it to Canadian shores. Anybody who buys Illy, or any other roasted-in-Italy beans, in North America is paying too much for undrinkable shit.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 10:09 PM

I noticed there is a new Chicken on the Way on Macleod South, by the Brick. They really are in expansion mode these days! I'll have to try it.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 10:10 PM
YIMBY

Has anyone tried the new restaurant on the corner of 5th St and 11th Ave? I can't recall the name off the top of my head.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
GC made the best pastries I've had in Canada- well maybe on par with Yann's in Calgary. Stunning. Great to hear about its resurrection.

Also great news about Mercato- They had been using Illy (just like Mercato on 4th in Calgary- are they the same owners?) and paying/charging an arm and a leg for stale swill. Horrible. The price per lb came to something like $32 for beans that are, I repeat, stale, stale before they ever make it to Canadian shores. Anybody who buys Illy, or any other roasted-in-Italy beans, in North America is paying too much for undrinkable shit.
http://www.fournil.ca/index.html

Le Fournil - looks like thewebsite is under construction.

Mountain Mercato - there is some kind of link with the one in Calgary, what I like about them is they go to considerable lengths to offer something unique compared to the other delis/grocery places in town.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 2:29 AM

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but when I was on 1st St SW today I noticed a sign up in the window next to where Brix and Morsel will be going. I checked out their twitter feed and it's called Cube Tasting Lounge - https://twitter.com/#!/BrixAndMorsel...com%2FmxBEiy3d

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 2:32 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
Has anyone tried the new restaurant on the corner of 5th St and 11th Ave? I can't recall the name off the top of my head.
Avec. No I haven't tried it but I would like to soon.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 2:37 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:

Also great news about Mercato- They had been using Illy (just like Mercato on 4th in Calgary-

So what did they switch to? Something local?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stophs View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but when I was on 1st St SW today I noticed a sign up in the window next to where Brix and Morsel will be going. I checked out their twitter feed and it's called Cube Tasting Lounge - https://twitter.com/#!/BrixAndMorsel/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2FmxBEiy3d
Yep. Thats their basement lounge. We had them in at BPG a while back, certainly going to be a neat addition to the restaurant scene in the city. The owners/chefs have been around a while, they were the chefs at Olives recently and a few other places before then.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 3:22 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Does anyone know when the Buffalo Wild Wings on McLeod is opening? Can't find anything via google search or on their website/facebook page.
I saw that Wild Wing on 17th Ave is now open. Has anyone checked it out?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 3:39 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
So what did they switch to? Something local?
oakster just posted that they're using P&S.

Innersoul- Wild Wing has been open for months. I've heard nothing even a little good about them. I thought it would be a clone of BW3 in the states, with counter service (and cheap, fantastic wings and fries) but it's just a bar that claims to specialize in wings and charges way more for them than any other bar on 17th or anywhere in Calgary.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 5:31 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
oakster just posted that they're using P&S.

Innersoul- Wild Wing has been open for months. I've heard nothing even a little good about them. I thought it would be a clone of BW3 in the states, with counter service (and cheap, fantastic wings and fries) but it's just a bar that claims to specialize in wings and charges way more for them than any other bar on 17th or anywhere in Calgary.
Thanks Rusty - Hadn't been down to that end of 17th in a while. Didn't think that they were open because there is just NO buzz about the place. Obviously for the reasons you mentioned.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Nothing to think about. He's exactly right. It was posted upthread a while ago.
I think you're right thanks

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 4:32 PM

Has anyone heard buzz about National Beer hall on 17th and 5th? Their website says open soon-ish, but there is clearly a lot of activity there.

Also FFWD has their best of calgary out. http://www.ffwdweekly.com/article/li...s-9278/#dining

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 4:40 PM

Speaking of rumors has anyone heard when that Vietnamese place on 13th Ave and 8th is going to open? I walked by there last week and it looked almost finished... I think it used to be some Italian restaurant? I hope its good because I have been begging for a good Viet place to open up that is a bit closer than the one on 17th ave.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcccondor View Post
Has anyone heard buzz about National Beer hall on 17th and 5th? Their website says open soon-ish, but there is clearly a lot of activity there.
I thought I saw a pic on twitter that its now open.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 4:46 PM
YIMBY

Quote:

Also FFWD has their best of calgary out. http://www.ffwdweekly.com/article/li...s-9278/#dining
National Beer Hall is open walked by there 2 weekends ago and people were inside

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 4:47 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:

Went to National yesterday for lunch. Food was pretty good (had the prime rib sandwich). The space is a combination of the old wine store and the Mercury club, so it is a lot more open (Mercury was pretty crammed). The large windows on both sides will make have a great presence on 17th avenue. In terms of design and use, it is a huge addition to 17th.

I am constantly amazed by how quickly 17th is evolving. I swear a new restaurant opens up every couple of months. For me, the most noticable and positive additions have been Borgo (adding activity to the strip north of Tomkins Park), CIBO (patio where parking used to be), Jamesons (huge improvement from the dollar store) and Wild Wing (even though I haven't been and it probably sucks, it is a massive improvement over the former Source Adult Video). The rooftop patio on 1410 is going to be the next big change. That street is positively booming.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 8:56 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Interesting piece this morning on the CBC Eyeopener this morning about Gay Bars being in decline in Calgary.

http://www.cbc.ca/eyeopener/episode/...4/no-gay-bars/

At this rate, there will only be one gay bar in the village
Video Link

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 10:16 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

"The Lesbian/Gay/Transgendered/Bisexual or L-G-T-B community in Calgary says the closing of these establishments is a huge loss for the city."

Wouldn't they have closed down due to lack of business from the LGTB community, indicating they are in fact not a huge loss to that community?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFWD best of calgary
Best Italian

Mercato
Chianti Cafe & Restaurant
Il Sogno
really?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation