HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 8:49 PM

I'm somewhat indifferent myself, but are not the wide open medians statistically safer, hence why the province prefers those? However if the right-of-way couldn't be widened they'd have no choice but to go with a narrow barrier median.

I'd like to see the highway twinned between the existing twinned south portion and Welsford bypass, to create a contiguous twinned section from Route 1 to the north end of Welsford. There honestly isn't much of a case to twin the rest, at least not at present traffic volumes, though added passing lanes from the 2+1 format would be a real benefit.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 1:58 AM

What baffles me the most is that, for the first exit to Grand Bay-Westfield, the right lane ends, and then less than 300m later, reappears for the exit. That's easily where half the traffic goes during peak hours, so why not just extend the lane that little bit?

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSeaboyer View Post
What baffles me the most is that, for the first exit to Grand Bay-Westfield, the right lane ends, and then less than 300m later, reappears for the exit. That's easily where half the traffic goes during peak hours, so why not just extend the lane that little bit?
I feel the same way. I think the two lanes should stay contiguous with the left lane continuing north on Route 7 and the right lane diverging into Grand Bay. With overhead signage indicating which lane to be in to stay on the highway and which one to exit. Wouldn't be much different from the way the TCH interchanges with Route 7 and Route 1 are arranged.

After all, the realignment of the interchange to accommodate the landfill means there's a built-in 'second-chance' northbound onramp for anyone who exits by mistake anyway.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 1:14 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

IMO it’s best to have the 4 lanes go past the interchange then go down to 2 lanes afterward. An example will be the interchange of Highway 15 and Route 140 in Shediac.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 11:21 PM

Twinning as far as Welsford will happen medium- to long-term and the interchange will be fixed then.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 5:59 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Actually does anyone know how wide the ROW of NB-7 is through CFB Gagetown? I wanna use that number to gauge (Ha-ha-ha!) the width of TCH’s ROW through CFB Petawawa.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 11:03 PM

150 feet in most places, judging by the parcel boundaries on GeoNB and measured with Google Earth. When that animal fencing was installed, a lot of it was actually installed on DND land. The road wasn't built through the base however, it was a normal rural highway carrying NB-2A that was able to be upgraded after the establishment of the base expropriated every property on it for 30km. You can even still see evidence of some partial realignment over the years from above and even driving it.

The Petersville Hill section, widened in the 90s not due to traffic but for safety and to allow both directions to pass on the same hill, has a 500-foot ROW with a 250-foot median.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 9:20 PM

Anyone knows what going on, on wheeler blvd (Moncton) between Mapleton rd and and Connaught?
Look like some sort of new off ramp,not sure what to make of it .

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbilly View Post
Anyone knows what going on, on wheeler blvd (Moncton) between Mapleton rd and and Connaught?
Look like some sort of new off ramp,not sure what to make of it .
http://www5.moncton.ca/docs/media/20...eeler_Blvd.pdf

May 6, 2019
Rabbit Brook culvert renewal
MONCTON – The City of Moncton wishes to advise the motoring public of a lane
reduction on Wheeler Boulevard, between Connaught Avenue and Mapleton Drive,
which is set to begin in mid-May and is expected to continue until the end of
September, weather permitting.
This section of Wheeler Boulevard will be reduced to one lane in each direction for the
duration of the work.
The lane reductions are necessary in order to allow the New Brunswick Department of
Transportation and Infrastructure (NBDTI) to renew the existing culverts between Rabbit
Brook and Halls Creek that pass under Wheeler Boulevard. This work is being done to
increase the hydraulic efficiency of these culverts in order to provide better drainage
from Rabbit Brook to Halls Creek.
As a result of the required work, a shelter on the Rabbit Brook Trail near Kendra Street
will be permanently removed to accommodate the culvert.
Inquiries about the project can be made to the Department of Transportation and
Infrastructure by calling 506-856-2000 or by email at transportation.web@gnb.ca.
The City apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciates the patience
and cooperation of residents and the motoring public.

-30-

Information:
André Cormier
Communications, City of Moncton
506-859-2686 / andrem.cormier@moncton.ca

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 3:17 PM

That make sense now , thank you . (Good2go)

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 12:51 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Phd0ADn7o

Twinning of NS-103

It seems that no one has shared this before. The commentary was pretty funny.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 9:34 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Fantasy Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Curious question: Is the extension of N.S. 104 from St Peter’s to Sydney supposed to join N.S. 125 at Sydport Access Road (Highway 125 Exit 5)? If the goal of twinning TCH in Nova Scotia is to serve increasing truck traffic, ending it there makes the most sense to me.

Edit: Oops I just realized that Sydport and Sydney Port are on the opposite side of the Sydney River.
Last night, I drew up the interchange between Highway 104 (extension) and Highway 125 if they are to meet at Sydport Access Road (which I mislabelled in the picture).

https://imgur.com/a/gTayQCG

Features:
(1) flyover ramp from the end of 104 to 125 Newfoundland Ferry direction;
(2) flyover ramp from 125 Newfoundland Ferry direction to 104 Port Hastings direction;
(3) collector system on 125 Sydney direction to handle weaving from the 2 loops;
(4) RIRO with 305 (Keltic Drive);
(5) centre left-turning lane on 305.

The bolded parts are concrete barriers/dividers. I assume the rail tracks twinned too.

Enjoy...?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 12:18 PM

Good thing a plan to put tolls at Saint John were rejected.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...cits-1.5255104

Highway tolls for commuters to Saint John rejected by province

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 12:35 PM
ハルウララ

Evidently these people proposing this weren't around when the Harbour Bridge had tolls. IIRC the bridge toll didn't even pay for the operation of the toll itself, let alone creating any additional revenue.

What a dreadful, backwards idea. Want to shoot your city directly in the foot? Set up tolls on every road that leads in and out. Good grief.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Evidently these people proposing this weren't around when the Harbour Bridge had tolls. IIRC the bridge toll didn't even pay for the operation of the toll itself, let alone creating any additional revenue.

What a dreadful, backwards idea. Want to shoot your city directly in the foot? Set up tolls on every road that leads in and out. Good grief.
Wasn't the Harbour Bridge toll only 25 cents though?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

I read the article on the CBC Website. My thought was the same as yours, WORST IDEA EVER!!!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 1:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

LIDAR map showing the distribution of sinkholes around the TCH at Oxford NS.

All people in favour of realigning this segment of the TCH please raise your hands!!!

Looks like a catastrophe in waiting to me..............

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 2:11 PM

Just fill em with blueberries.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 10:12 PM

Since I grew up not far from Oxford in Springhill, I spent lots of time in oxford in the summer swimming at the park where the sinkhole showed up. It’s a scary thing. I really hope the government takes this serious. There is one dip in the highway there that they ad asphalt to every year or two so there is definitely an issue.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 8:29 PM

Only issue I can think of is the fact that there is no convenient area to realign the 104 in that area considering the lakes south of the roadbed west of the interchange

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces