HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 10:20 PM

Good analysis, GW. Makes perfect sense to me. Someone posting on one of these threads said that by the time the 10 was built in the '50s, the neighborhoods it uprooted had already declined. Thank God they didn't route it farther north than they did.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notinkeys View Post
I'm sitting here watching "The Turning Point" from 1952 when I recognize a favorite locale from this thread...
I always overlook the 1952 "The Turning Point" because I've yet to see it.
Thanks for refreshing my memory Notinkeys. Pretty cool stuff.

___

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 21, 2012 at 2:48 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 2:42 AM

I really enjoyed looking through the "Homeowner's Review" David. It's amazing what can be gleaned from these obscure periodicals.

originally posted by 3940dxer.

Fall/Winter 1976

___

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 3:06 AM

Found on ebay.

___

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 3:15 AM

ebay

and today.....my how the trees have grown!!

google street view

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 1:30 PM

e_r: Have I ever told you that I love your ebay snapshot discoveries? Shots of old houses, especially when they can found still standing, are great. Over coffee this morning I poked around to see who lived at 2878 Edgehill.... Addie B and Helen C Freudenberg (sisters?) were living there in 1942, apparently having moved from 1321 W. 57th St. By 1956, Henry Kwok had moved into 2878 Edgehill.

I love this area of West Adams/Jefferson Park, a little corner of irregular streets among the L.A. grid (2878 has an odd triangular lot)--plenty of great noirish stucco bungalows mixed with a few earlier Craftsmans. When you mentioned Edgehill, I was reminded of the house below at Montclair & Edgehill, which I'd run across a while ago. It's on the older, north side of Montclair, developed before the '20s; south of Montclair was open land until the '20s, when stucco bungalows like 2878 Edgehill began to go up there.

GoogleSV

Complete with shotgun street sign....

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 3:02 PM
Dallas, TX

Looks like the Doheny Mansion.

USC

LAOK

The Doheny Mansion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Found on ebay.

___

Last edited by rcarlton; Apr 21, 2012 at 3:30 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 6:56 PM

Orchard Gables Reborn!

Looks like restoration work is nearly complete on Orchard Gables, one of the oldest remaining structures in Hollywood. It was built in 1904 and sits on the southwest corner of Wilcox and Fountain. Here's how it looked this morning:

[source: me]

[source: me again]

Before restoration it was in a state of severe disrepair, and served most recently as Hollywood's scariest convalescent home. Here's how it looked before restoration began:

[source: Park La Brea News Beverly Press]

Naturally it looked best in its original incarnation, sitting on an expansive property with adjoining orchards in the heart of old Hollywood.

[source: artandsoulcenter.org]

To these eyes, the rear of the house was even more lovely than the front:

[source: artandsoulcenter.org]

Here's a nice little article on the history of Orchard Gables (and don't miss the lone response at the end of the article which corrects some misinformation):

Old Hollywood Home Gets New Lease on Life

PS - David, I too greatly enjoyed the "Homeowner's Review" that you posted. Fascinating stuff!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 12:26 AM

Simply stunning renovation. I wasn't even aware of Orchard Gables before your post Handsome_Stranger. That tells me there must be hundreds, if not thousands, of fascinating places I have yet to discover in the L.A. area.

___

That's a beautiful bungalow at Montclair and Edgehill G_W. I also like the disjointed stairs leading up to the house.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
So we're all familiar with the Old Central No 1, as seen in the image above and below:

mine

It stands out in lots of images taken from the Hill near Court looking toward Broadway...largely because of its striking two-tone character:

heavy rusticated stone at the bottom, and what appears to be stucco above. Which always kind of bugged me, so I did a little digging...

...and I was right, it was a solidly Romanesque building of all wrought stone. Here's an image from the Times in 1896, accompanying a blurb about the new jail.

Here's a shot from the Los Angeles Herald, September 1908 (folk are gathered at the station to hear word of Captain Auble) --

-- A bit about the jail: the front of the first floor was for the officers and detectives offices. The back of the first floor was all jail, a 10x30 corridor lined with 24 cells on either side. Attached was a receiving hospital, basically a white tiled room with a big skylight. The courts, judges chambers, witness and jury rooms, clerks offices and the like were on the second floor. There was a second floor jail area for the high-security inmates, a female ward (with special accommodations for insane female prisoners) and a juvie ward.

I was shocked that, in my investigations, I found that while I'd deduced the building to be Caukin & Haas (they famously of the City Hall and first Times building, etc.) it was in fact a Charles L. Strange. Strange was the City Superintendent of Buildings, and an architect, known for the red sandstone courthouse (not ours -- theirs), & much of Pasadena's Castle Green.

Love to know when it got modernized -- I would've assumed that the pointed parapet came down after the '49 ordinance but it was obviously gone when they shot Shockproof in '48. I'm guessing it's a late-30s remodel but more digging needs to be done...
I was watching the classic film noir Edge of Doom (1950) this evening streaming on Netflix. I just had to pause at this scene and capture a still:

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
I hadn't noticed the date on this shot before, Beaudry. If the LAPL is correct in dating it September 1936, the remodeling took place before then.

And here are shots from 1946 and 1956--the latter being the station's last year standing.
LAPLLAPL

A shot dated 1929:
USCDL

And another from about that time--a great shot reminiscent of The Untouchables...
USCDL

West First Street was widened around the time of Central Station's facelift:
USCDLUSCDL

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhammon View Post
I was watching the classic film noir Edge of Doom (1950) this evening streaming on Netflix. I just had to pause at this scene and capture a still:

I liked this screen-grab from 'Edge of Doom' fhammon. I hope you don't mind that I lightened it a bit.

___

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 11:39 PM

Here is an intriguing postcard of Lookout Mountain...the postmark is 1914*.
Two men are standing on their own little 'summit' while the 'Lookout Mountain Inn' is off in the distance.

postcard/ebay

above: The next thing that caught my eye was 'Home Office: 1103 Story Building'. Why is this address on a Lookout Mtn. postcard?
(I am going to go back and try to find the reverse side of the pc...perhaps there's an explanation on the back).

below: The address led me to the Walter P. Story Building on the southeast corner of 6th & Broadway (photo dated 1930).

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search...ner-m3353.html

above: The Story Building, at 11 stories, is as high as any building can go in 1908 (year of it's construction).
Notice that the 'Home Office' on the postcard is on the top floor (suite #1103) of this marvelous building.

below: Details of the W.P. Story Building show 'zigzag' art deco ornament.
This makes me think the building had undergone a remodeling sometime in the distant past.
(1908 is way too early for art deco...and the decoration doesn't seem organic enough to be art nouveau, an earlier art movement)

Notice the 'Stop' and 'Slow' brass lettering embedded in the sidewalk/driveway.

http://decoarchitecture.tumblr.com/p...alifornia-from

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/ca0269/

below: A contemporary look at the exquisitely decorated upper stories of the W.P. Story Building showing the eleventh floor
(home of suite #1103 that appears on the Lookout Mtn. postcard).

http://www.you-are-here.com/broadway/story.html

*While searching for additional information on the 1914 postcard, I discovered that it was originally posted on this thread by 3940dxer (David).
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=6482

___

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 23, 2012 at 1:17 AM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 11:48 PM

Here's a comparison of the W.P. Story Building garage entrance.

yesterday:

today:

google street view

The only thing(s) recognizable are the brass 'Stop' and 'Slow' embedded in the driveway.

____

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 23, 2012 at 12:01 AM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 11:59 PM

Note the disgustingly dirty red awning over the garage entrance.

That awning encompasses the whole building and hides the entire 2nd floor. Who in the sam hell thought this was a good idea?

google street view

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 12:13 AM

L.A. Renovation

Just had to comment on two things. First, in the 1st st. widening by Central Station I noticed the building that has "Tally Ho" painted on the side. Post widening, the building has been cut in half with just "Tal" left.

USCDLUSCDL

Next was the now and then of the garage opening. In the after, you can see the exquisite ornamentation on the sides is still there but you can't see it because they replaced the beautiful Deco gate with a roll up that covers the whole entrance. Not to mention the cheap red cover with arrows that advertises the Parking. Do you think that beautiful deco lettering is under that red cover? How did L.A.'s beauty fall to these cheap developers who feel it necessary to do this?

http://decoarchitecture.tumblr.com/p...alifornia-from -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- google steet view

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 12:27 AM

I think it's quite possible that the art deco lettering is still there KevinW.
If I were in L.A. I'd go down there and try to peak behind that disgusting awning.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 1:25 AM

Back to the Red Car era

I have made few contributions lately after my Apr 9 visit to downtown and trying to capture what LA looks like today. I have enjoyed this site so much in the last month and a half and now up to page 150. I come here to the present day pages to see what is happening, to post, and share new stuff. I was visiting my Flickr account today searched on LA. I came across an account called "Metro Transportation Library and Archive". They have 100s of pix there if you're interested. I know at least one guy who joined here claimed to be quite an authority on the Red Car line. Here's one to get you started on Flickr and you can follow for more if you like. Does anyone happen to know if the Bus station here is the same one that became the "grand" and now former one at 6th and Los Angeles Street?

023 - MTA 1515 San Pedro Line Main St. Sta. 19581206 AKW
Photographer: Alan Weeks From Flickr Account: Metro Transportation Library and Archive

Last edited by alanlutz; Apr 23, 2012 at 1:27 AM. Reason: credit photo

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 1:55 AM

LAPL

GoogleSV

The Greyhound station in your pic was supplanted by the 1965 terminal behind the PE Building--where the Red Cars are in your shot. I'm not sure if the building now on the northeast corner of 6th and Los Angeles is a remodeling of the old station or a new one--the window placement indicates that it might possibly be the same structure. (Also-- the satellite view shows a building with an open center that might have once been the bus lot.)

GoogleSV

Google

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 2:18 AM

i wonder why they moved greyhound to skid row? the first time i took the bus (97 or 98)my dad took me to 6th and main and he was so confussed that the station wasnt there,so we drove to hollywood and bought my ticket there.also on the 1965 greyhound station you can still see the ghost logo for greyhound,i noticed that when i was at coles a few months ago

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos