HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 9:07 PM

Mosaic Stadium gets the Heritage Classic in October 2019 - between the Flames and the Jets

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1080193963024371712

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 9:35 PM

^ I wonder if they'll be adding any temporary seats to the south end zone for the event.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 9:41 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
Mosaic Stadium gets the Heritage Classic in October 2019 - between the Flames and the Jets

This makes the NHL's 19-20 schedule look like the following:

Heritage Classic: Regina (Mosaic Stadium) Jets/Flames
Winter Classic: Dallas (Cotton Bowl Stadium) Stars/???
All-Star Game: St. Louis
Stadium Series: Colorado (Air Force's Falcon Stadium) Avalanche/???

Regina gets an outdoor event before Montreal does, for what it's worth.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
This makes the NHL's 19-20 schedule look like the following:

Heritage Classic: Regina (Mosaic Stadium) Jets/Flames
Winter Classic: Dallas (Cotton Bowl Stadium) Stars/???
All-Star Game: St. Louis
Stadium Series: Colorado (Air Force's Falcon Stadium) Avalanche/???

Regina gets an outdoor event before Montreal does, for what it's worth.
I wonder where Montreal would host? I was under the impression Olympic Stadium isn't capable of hosting winter events, and Molson Stadium is hardly any bigger seating-wise than Bell Centre, and it's way more run down.

Once Mosaic hosts, Hamilton and Montreal will be the only cities not to have hosted a Heritage Classic in their CFL stadiums, although Hamilton did host an AHL game at Ivor Wynne Stadium a few years back.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 9:51 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I wonder where Montreal would host? I was under the impression Olympic Stadium isn't capable of hosting winter events, and Molson Stadium is hardly any bigger seating-wise than Bell Centre, and it's way more run down.
Pretty much. Olympic is a no-go, Molson isn't any bigger (and run down, as you point out), and Saputo can't add temporary seating to make it bigger. Montreal doesn't really have a suitable outdoor facility to host a large-scale NHL event.

Quote:
Once Mosaic hosts, Hamilton and Montreal will be the only cities not to have hosted a Heritage Classic in their CFL stadiums, although Hamilton did host an AHL game at Ivor Wynne Stadium a few years back.
A Leafs/Sabres game at Tim Hortons Field would be interesting. Hamilton is currently trying to figure out how it will add temporary seating for a potential Grey Cup (I guess they don't have an official temporary seating policy?) so once that is settled they could use a similar one for an NHL Heritage Classic game. I enjoy the NHL going to neutral venues for outdoor games - gives places like Regina and Notre Dame a bit of exposure and widens the NHL's net ever so slightly.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 1:40 AM

I went to that game at Ivor Wynne. Fun times. Brilliant sunshine and not too cold. Got tickets for 5 bucks. Thought that would be the only outdoor game I'd go to because I'm not interested in blowing a wad of cash for NHL outdoor. But then I got offered Leafs vs Wings tix at BMO couple years ago because my coworker is related to a higher up at TSN.

Well I turned it down! Because I went to the alumni game the day before. And the big game was the next day but was basically a night game and like -5. Turns out my coworker left after two periods because he got too cold. And he's from Ottawa. Plus even though they were good seats, you're still far from the action so he had enough.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 4:57 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I went to that game at Ivor Wynne. Fun times. Brilliant sunshine and not too cold. Got tickets for 5 bucks. Thought that would be the only outdoor game I'd go to because I'm not interested in blowing a wad of cash for NHL outdoor. But then I got offered Leafs vs Wings tix at BMO couple years ago because my coworker is related to a higher up at TSN.

Well I turned it down! Because I went to the alumni game the day before. And the big game was the next day but was basically a night game and like -5. Turns out my coworker left after two periods because he got too cold. And he's from Ottawa. Plus even though they were good seats, you're still far from the action so he had enough.
The games at IWS were fun. The AHL game had perfect winter conditions for the area. Topped 20,000 attendance.

The Alumni game the night before... was cold. Started out as a nice night, crisp with hardly any wind, and then light snow began partway through. But the temperature must have been well below -10. Still fun and entertaining.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Ha. This is why I have no interest in outdoor games. Sit outside and freeze in a venue where the best seats are worse than the nosebleeds in a regular NHL venue, and pay a steep premium to do it... no thanks.

Despite the 'heritage' rhetoric, the only reason these games exist are to allow NHL teams to earn multiple times the revenue that they otherwise would from a normal regular season game. Which is fine, I'm not complaining about the NHL chasing the money. But they're a hard pass as far as I'm concerned.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post

Followed the link and read the comments. I forgot that both teams originated in Atlanta.

"Brought to you by Atlanta"

https://twitter.com/PLyons1993/statu...31876323917824

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 9:25 PM

I would be pretty surprised to hear that Montreal cant host an outdoor game considering Winnipeg pulled it off in October. What does the big O lack that makes it incapable of holding an NHL game?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 9:31 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
I would be pretty surprised to hear that Montreal cant host an outdoor game considering Winnipeg pulled it off in October. What does the big O lack that makes it incapable of holding an NHL game?
Olympic Stadium cannot be used if there is more than 3cm of snow on the roof.

https://nationalpost.com/sports/olym...st-a-money-pit

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 9:35 PM

Quote:
The NHL wanted to hold an outdoor game in Montreal to mark its 100th anniversary but couldn't find a suitable venue, commissioner Gary Bettman said Friday.

Holding an outdoor game indoors at the domed Olympic Stadium would be absurd, while Percival Molson Stadium, which is 102 years old, was too small and antiquated to stage a regular season hockey game in the cold.

"We're not ignoring the occasion," said Bettman. "Everyone seems to be focused on why didn't we have an outdoor game.

"We couldn't do it. We wanted to. We tried, but it just didn't work."

Just Absurd, What a complete failure that would be

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...tman-1.4408461

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 9:46 PM

^ I think that's just the writer's opinion, I assure you that the NHL wouldn't consider the potential gate receipts from a game at the Big O to be anything remotely resembling absurd. AFAIK it comes down to the reason JHikka mentioned, there are concerns about the structural integrity of the Olympic Stadium roof when subjected to snow loads. That was part of the reason that RIO was stumping for yet another injection of vast sums of money into Olympic Stadium.

That said, one would think they could get away with having it in October as well, when heavy snow is fairly rare/unusual?

BTW that pic tells you everything you need to know about stadium games... that "view" of the ice was over $100, probably over $150.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 10:37 PM

Not sure why anyone would pay that amount of money (or any amount really) to try and watch a game from so far away - only to have to look up at the big screen often to see what's going on... which is still probably easier to see what's going on if you just stayed home and watched on a 50"+ HDTV in the first place.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 11:12 PM
Closed account

Quote:
^ I think that's just the writer's opinion, I assure you that the NHL wouldn't consider the potential gate receipts from a game at the Big O to be anything remotely resembling absurd. AFAIK it comes down to the reason JHikka mentioned, there are concerns about the structural integrity of the Olympic Stadium roof when subjected to snow loads. That was part of the reason that RIO was stumping for yet another injection of vast sums of money into Olympic Stadium.

That said, one would think they could get away with having it in October as well, when heavy snow is fairly rare/unusual?
I'm not sure the NHL would chance it. That's a lot of money/pissed off people if even a relatively light snowfall hits.

Until there's a new roof, Olympic Stadium won't be a venue.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 11:22 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Not sure why anyone would pay that amount of money (or any amount really) to try and watch a game from so far away - only to have to look up at the big screen often to see what's going on... which is still probably easier to see what's going on if you just stayed home and watched on a 50"+ HDTV in the first place.
The novelty factor was neat for a bit. They might be fatiguing it if they keep it up at the rate they do.

If I had to go to one, I would have went to the game at Dodger Stadium in LA in 2014, just to sit outside and enjoy ~60F temps and watch a hockey game.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 11:25 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
The novelty factor was neat for a bit. They might be fatiguing it if they keep it up at the rate they do.

If I had to go to one, I would have went to the game at Dodger Stadium in LA in 2014, just to sit outside and enjoy ~60F temps and watch a hockey game.
If initial reaction is any indicator it seems like the outdoor game in Dallas has tons of people interested in attending. The novelty factor has certainly worn off in Chicago but there are a ton of other areas where there is still plenty of demand for tickets. As long as people are willing to buy tickets and willing to watch on TV the NHL will keep hosting the events.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 4:32 PM

The Rendez-Vous LeBreton Gorup partners, which include the owner of the Ottawa Senators Eugene Melnyk and John Ruddy of Trinity Developments, are going into mediation to save the downtown arena deal. They have 14 days to do so before the NCC pulls the plug. Even if they do come to an agreement, the NCC might still walk away after the drama that has unfolded over the last few months.

https://ottawacitizen.com/business/l...alvage-project

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 8:30 PM

Theoretically speaking

If Halifax ends up building that CFL stadium, who would play there in a Heritage Classic? Habs/Bruins?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 10:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureSmith View Post
If Halifax ends up building that CFL stadium, who would play there in a Heritage Classic? Habs/Bruins?
That would be fantastic. Leafs/Bruins would be good too, or even Leafs/Habs

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada