HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 6:14 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Meanwhile, much smaller cities in the US seem to be able to support 4 network affiliates. I do not get that.
I doubt they put similar resources into local news programming though. The rest of their content comes from the network, shared nationally, supported by Big Money.

This is horrible news for so many people that put so much into CHCH. Hopefully it does keep going long-term, even if it means less local content. And hopefully the talented people who lost their jobs find something new, if not locally then elsewhere. But times are not getting easier in this business.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 4:17 PM
BANNED

I truly hope the station can be saved. No weekend news? Hopefully that can be restored before long. Perhaps the owner(s) should join either CTV or Global?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I truly hope the station can be saved. No weekend news? Hopefully that can be restored before long. Perhaps the owner(s) should join either CTV or Global?
CTV really crowds the dial (and the map) with affiliates in Toronto, London, Kitchener and even Barrie with its Hamilton-based repeater. I'd say not to go with Global because of the disaster last time, but maybe Shaw running things would be different than CanWest.
The other option is to look at a partnership with Corus and/or other small owners to see if they can cobble together together a mini-network. That is, if the CRTC allows it. Long ago, they turned down a similar request that included CHCH, saying it wasn't necessary. That group also included CFPL (now with CTV2) and CKNX (now defunct). Safe to say, the CRTC really missed it on that one.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 7:34 PM
BANNED

In terms of purchasing programming, would it make sense?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 9:30 PM
Concerned Citizen

It would be a great time for the CBC to step up and take the station over. That would give them a real media presence in this city rather than their pathetic website.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 11:47 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Torstar has been trying to get a channel for a while, maybe they can purchase it.

Corus sounds good too.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 12:09 AM

Years ago, I'd hoped CHCH would go really local. I have no idea what that means exactly but perhaps a finely tuned and polished version of Cable 14.

I have no idea how these things work and I'm sure it's horribly expensive running a TV channel. Oh well...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 12:31 AM

THTV

Tim Hortons TV

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 12:43 AM
It's Hammer Time

^ Tim Horotns TV could work believe it or not. Speciality channels get extra revenue, local stations don't.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 2:36 AM
It's Hammer Time

THANK YOU, HAMILTON.

As you may now be aware, today was my last day at CHCH. I walked into the CHCH newsroom 33 years ago for the very first time. Cigarette smoke hung in the air and I had a queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach as I thought to myself, “I’m in over my head”.

I have lived a good part of my life in front of the camera. I did the weather from the nursery at McMaster hospital holding my daughter Kyra the night she was born; so many memories come flooding back. I have always viewed the opportunity to come into your homes every day as a gift. I loved my job and it makes me sad to know that this chapter has ended. I am also sad for my many colleagues who lost their jobs today and that I won’t be sharing laughs with them anymore. I have always tried to have fun and brighten the lives of both my coworkers and viewers. Thank you for the privilege of allowing me into your home all these years. It has been a tremendous opportunity to meet so many of you and watch our amazing community grow. The greatest compliment I would ever receive is when someone would say “I feel like I know you”, which meant that a part of me made it through all of that technology.

It has been a great run, but it’s not the end; I look forward to being a part of the Hamilton community for years to come. It’s a special place, this city.

You’ll still be able to find me on the air every morning on 102.9 K-Lite FM from 5:30-9:00am with Sunni Genesco. Thank you, Hamilton. You are the best!

https://hamonthayes.wordpress.com/author/hamonthayes/

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I doubt they put similar resources into local news programming though. The rest of their content comes from the network, shared nationally, supported by Big Money.

This is horrible news for so many people that put so much into CHCH. Hopefully it does keep going long-term, even if it means less local content. And hopefully the talented people who lost their jobs find something new, if not locally then elsewhere. But times are not getting easier in this business.
Not quite 80 hours a week, but in smaller cities in the US, you'll find an immense amount of locally produced news with local staff reporting on local issues. Just across Lake Erie in Erie, PA, there's two station operators: Lilly Broadcasting, which owns the NBC affiliate WICU and also provides news programming for the CBS affiliate WSEE, and Nextar Broadcasting, which owns the ABC affiliate WJET and provides news programming for the FOX affiliate FOX 66. Erie as a metro area has a population of 280,000, similar in size to Saskatoon. But it also is located in the shadow of both Cleveland and Buffalo, and could just as easily have been served by local television stations in those much larger cities, much as Global serves all of Ontario from a single station in Toronto.

WJET airs a 2-hour morning show, a 30 minute newscast at noon, 90 minutes starting at 5pm, and 35 minutes at 11; in addition they produce a one-hour morning show and one-hour 10pm newscast for FOX 66. WICU produces the same amount of local output for its own channel as WJET, and also produces a noon newscast, one-hour morning show, and 11 pm news for WSEE.

It just proves that much smaller markets in the US have no problem with local news production, even if the station is not owned by the network. Though affiliation with a national network like CBS, NBC, ABC, or FOX does help with national advertising, something CHCH doesn't have.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 1:21 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Not quite 80 hours a week, but in smaller cities in the US, you'll find an immense amount of locally produced news with local staff reporting on local issues. Just across Lake Erie in Erie, PA, there's two station operators: Lilly Broadcasting, which owns the NBC affiliate WICU and also provides news programming for the CBS affiliate WSEE, and Nextar Broadcasting, which owns the ABC affiliate WJET and provides news programming for the FOX affiliate FOX 66. Erie as a metro area has a population of 280,000, similar in size to Saskatoon. But it also is located in the shadow of both Cleveland and Buffalo, and could just as easily have been served by local television stations in those much larger cities, much as Global serves all of Ontario from a single station in Toronto.

WJET airs a 2-hour morning show, a 30 minute newscast at noon, 90 minutes starting at 5pm, and 35 minutes at 11; in addition they produce a one-hour morning show and one-hour 10pm newscast for FOX 66. WICU produces the same amount of local output for its own channel as WJET, and also produces a noon newscast, one-hour morning show, and 11 pm news for WSEE.

It just proves that much smaller markets in the US have no problem with local news production, even if the station is not owned by the network. Though affiliation with a national network like CBS, NBC, ABC, or FOX does help with national advertising, something CHCH doesn't have.
Thanks. I made a blanket statement without more than basic knowledge.

What is the funding like for small-medium size city U.S. stations? Do they get more local advertising money and other support than an average and similar Canadian station would? What about money from state or federal funding?

And I probably should not have said "local" -- CHCH didn't just provide coverage for Hamilton, or just its metro area... they covered news, sports, events, etc. in Niagara, Halton, and areas to the west as well. I think they were trying to maintain a regional presence, as they had in the past. Perhaps that was part of the problem, trying to do too much to keep filling the TV station void southwest of Toronto.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Thanks. I made a blanket statement without more than basic knowledge.

What is the funding like for small-medium size city U.S. stations? Do they get more local advertising money and other support than an average and similar Canadian station would? What about money from state or federal funding?

And I probably should not have said "local" -- CHCH didn't just provide coverage for Hamilton, or just its metro area... they covered news, sports, events, etc. in Niagara, Halton, and areas to the west as well. I think they were trying to maintain a regional presence, as they had in the past. Perhaps that was part of the problem, trying to do too much to keep filling the TV station void southwest of Toronto.
I can't speak for the TV advertising market in the US, but in the US there are several policy factors that don't exist in Canada that have helped local TV:

1. The US allows "fee for carriage". This means that local stations can require cable companies like Comcast and Time Warner to pay to retransmit their signals. This has been a vital revenue stream for TV stations in the US, while in Canada it is illegal for TV stations to require cable/satellite companies to pay for their signals; the likes of Rogers, Bell, and Cogeco don't pay a dime to stations like CHCH to retransmit their signals to subscribers. All subscribers are paying for is the link between the station and their TV. (Note that specialty channels like TSN are treated differently since they don't broadcast free-to-air signals; they get revenue from both advertising and the cable companies.)

2. In the US, market exclusivity rules prevent cable/satellite subscribers from viewing out-of-market stations. For example if you live in Buffalo, your only NBC affiliate available is WGRZ. The cable company is not allowed to also carry the NBC affiliates in Chicago and Los Angeles, unlike in Canada where nowadays you can get almost every CTV, CBC, or Global station across the country. This means that CFTO as a CTV station in Toronto can lose viewers to CJOH Ottawa or CFCF Montreal because a viewer can't tell the difference between the CTV stations which have the same network schedules. The local ads on CFTO don't reach as many viewers as they potentially could in the Toronto/Hamilton market since some viewers are watching another CTV station instead and getting local Ottawa or Montreal ads. This, of course, is not directly relevant to CHCH since they are independent, but it speaks to the situation with local broadcasting across Canada.

3. The US government doesn't protect the industry the same way as Canada's CRTC. For Canadians this means less competition as incumbent broadcasters have special veto privileges against new market entrants. In the US, if I have a business plan and can get a spare frequency, and of course get a programming source, I can start my own TV station and there isn't a damn thing my competition can do, other than step up their game. In Canada, the barriers to entering the industry are massive. Remember when someone tried to start up a TV station in Niagara Region? It was blocked by CanWest, who threw a temper tantrum about not wanting more competition.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishap View Post
CTV really crowds the dial (and the map) with affiliates in Toronto, London, Kitchener and even Barrie with its Hamilton-based repeater. I'd say not to go with Global because of the disaster last time, but maybe Shaw running things would be different than CanWest.
The other option is to look at a partnership with Corus and/or other small owners to see if they can cobble together together a mini-network. That is, if the CRTC allows it. Long ago, they turned down a similar request that included CHCH, saying it wasn't necessary. That group also included CFPL (now with CTV2) and CKNX (now defunct). Safe to say, the CRTC really missed it on that one.
Funny you'd raise CTV in all this...

http://www.900chml.com/2015/12/16/55621/

Quote:
Why is Bell Media logo on leaked CHCH TV email???

A leaked internal email from CHCH TV has offered a different angle from the troubled little broadcaster trying to compete with the big players in a new technological world.

The note, which was sent to everyone here at CHML, is from a sales person to a client and includes this explanation of recent activities there.

“We just needed to disband the previous company and form a new one where changes could be made, free from old Union employees and their demands and free from carryover debt of CanWest.” (There previous owner).

CHCH says the statement does not reflect the company.

As a person who has been downsized 5 times in my 30 year career, no surprise here.

From the start, I questioned how a bankrupt company could rehire about half of the staff and continue as a new company, as if the old never existed?

But hey, I’m just the talent.

If I was one of those who is floating without a severance, I wouldn’t be spouting the virtues of such an email.

Instead I would be questioning why the email displaying the logo of the cash strapped struggling ‘Channel Zero’, also had the logo of giant media conglomerate Bell Media, next to it?

Are they not two separate competing companies?

Thanks for supporting local media.

I’m Scott Thompson.
Interesting blurb there. XB

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 2:26 PM

Interesting. The same Bell media that was trying to get space on the CHCH tower for a CKVR repeater, which has since been located elsewhere in the city. I guess Bell and Channel Zero aren't staying mad at each other.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 11:44 PM

CHCH TV losing Nick Dixon and Carly Conway to Toronto competition

Hamilton Spectator By Natalie Paddon

CHCH is losing a news anchor and assignment editor to television stations up the highway.

Nick Dixon, who has been at the station for more than 11 years, is heading to CP24 for an anchor and reporter position, and Carly Conway is leaving for CTV Toronto.

Both staffers handed in their resignations Tuesday.

"It's the right move at this point in my career," Dixon said. "It's been an amazing ride to work here, but this amazing opportunity has presented itself at CP24, and I'd be pretty foolish not to take it."

Conway, who has worked at CHCH for five years, echoed a similar sentiment.

"I just think it's a good next step career-wise," she said. "I love Hamilton, and I love CH … but it was personally, what do I want to do next and where do I want to go?"

Reporter Sean Leathong also recently left to take a position at CTV Toronto.

In December, the television station underwent a shakeup. Channel Zero announced the subsidiary that employed CH's on-air personalities, producers and camera operators had filed for bankruptcy.

All employees were terminated, but some were offered new jobs with a privately held numbered company.

Channel Zero had taken over a troubled CHCH from Canwest Television Limited Partnership in 2009.

Dixon said it hasn't been determined if he'll have an on-air goodbye, but he'd like to bid farewell to the "viewers who have been committed through a whole lot of tumultuous times in the 11.5 years."

"A lot of great times but obviously a couple more recently and then of course seven years ago another sort of hiccup shall we say," he added.

After the restructuring, Dixon said he started poking around a little more than usual to see what else was out there.

"It certainly played a part, but it's not the be-all, end-all reason for my decision," he said.

Conway said the overhaul also contributed to her decision to leave.

"It has a lot to do with that," she said. "I didn't see myself leaving until what happened in December."

"It was just thinking what was best for me."

Vice-president of news Mike Katrycz said CHCH offers people a chance to develop their careers and a platform to showcase their talent, including to Toronto.

"We've developed some great people over the years, and they've hired some of them," said Katrycz, who has been at the station for 15 years. "This is the story that we've had going on for years and years."

When asked about the role of December's restructuring on recent departures, he said, "There's great uncertainty in the entire industry."

"We're still here, we're still serving the community, we're not going anywhere."

Dixon and Conway talked about how much they appreciated their time at CHCH.

"The great thing about CH is that it's big enough where you're really working on news and stories that impact people, but it's small enough where you have so many opportunities to learn and get so much experience," Conway said.

npaddon@thespec.com

905-526-2420 | @NatatTheSpec

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/66...o-competition/

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 10:05 PM
It's Hammer Time

CHCH building sold, Hamilton TV station looking for new home

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/69...-for-new-home/

The CHCH building at 163 Jackson St. W. has been sold and the station owners are now asking viewers to help choose a new home.

CHCH posted a message on its website Monday that parent company Channel Zero last week accepted an offer on the building. It encourages viewers who know of an "awesome space within the vibrant heart of the city" to let CHCH know about it.

However, the local television station will continue to operate at the same location for at least two-and-a-half years because it is leasing the space from its new owners.

Chris Fuoco, Channel Zero's vice-president of sales and marketing, said the sale is set to close on November 15.

The company has been looking for a new, more modern facility since spring when the property was listed for sale.

Fuoco said Monday he did not know if the station would stay close to the downtown or city core.

"There are merits to the downtown. It has a lot of traffic, but it is close to city hall. There are lots of other good places (to relocate to), so it's hard to say."

The station will have about 120 full and part-time staff by Oct. 29 when it introduces its new half-hour broadcasts of evening news on weekends at 6 and 11 p.m.

Fuoco would not divulge the purchase price yet nor identify the property's new buyers other than to say they were "some local business people who have a series of real estate investments in the city".

The asking price was not disclosed when it was listed in May and the realtor required interested parties to sign a confidentiality agreement to do the same.

In December, a Channel Zero subsidiary company that was formed for the sole purpose of employing CHCH's workers, declared bankruptcy. It then terminated about 170 employees without having to pay them severances. A new company was then formed to hire some of them back.

CHCH has been in a designated historic home built in 1850, since its inception in 1954. It expanded with a large addition in 1983.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 3:36 AM

Anchor tenant for a Kresge building redevelopment - putting it in the heart of downtown .... that would be great.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 2:55 PM

They need to be able to get to news scenes without being impeded by traffic, so the Kresge's site would likely not work for them, especially when LRT construction begins.

Maybe Innovation Park?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 8:27 PM

Why not 2/3 floors in the Stelco Tower? They could keep the news vans underground ready to be dispatched to news scenes, and the tower is tall enough to host their broadcasting equipment without annoying anyone.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy