HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDweller View Post
Just think about all the shiftless layabouts we'd have everywhere. Nobody would show up for work, there'd be pot heads roaming the roads stoned out of their gourds while driving cars, mowing down pedestrians on their way to get JITB.
Heh heh... But I really don't think legalizing it will change the usage rate all that much.

I do think the "LEGALIZE IT" people trying to petition and get everyone's vote seem like some of the laziest worthless people out there. But if it was legal they can just shut up and stay at home smoke their brain away and I never have to see them again.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Heh heh... But I really don't think legalizing it will change the usage rate all that much.

I do think the "LEGALIZE IT" people trying to petition and get everyone's vote seem like some of the laziest worthless people out there. But if it was legal they can just shut up and stay at home smoke their brain away and I never have to see them again.
but we'll(I'm speaking of working individuals who pay income taxes) have to support them because they don't have a job, and have an addiction, making them one of the less fortunate (through their own irresponsible actions), and the Lord and Savior Obama says its not right to let people who dug their own grave be buried in it. We MUST help them. Its only the right thing to do.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I meant the political climate and country as a whole is just getting worse.
That happened the day Obama/Biden beat McCain/Palin. I hated McCain/Palin, but I'll be damned if that wasn't the lesser of two evils.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
People are going to smoke anyway, whether or not it's legal. .
Indeed. If its illegal, they can be arrested for it, and be removed from a proper society.

And I'm no bible thumper.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 12:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Just think about all the shiftless layabouts we'd have everywhere. Nobody would show up for work, there'd be pot heads roaming the roads stoned out of their gourds while driving cars, mowing down pedestrians on their way to get JITB.
Wait, seriously? You think making it legal will have any effect other than making money off of it? It's a multi billion dollar business and everyone who wants to smoke it smokes it regardless of it's legality. Hell, if I wanted to I could buy some from a number of different people right now.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 12:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Indeed. If its illegal, they can be arrested for it, and be removed from a proper society.
So thats a good idea, arrest someone and pay to keep them in jail because they smoked pot. Because THATS the most important thing we need to keep at bay. LOL

I know a lot of people who smoke pot. 99% of them I'm fairly sure have never broken a law in their life sans for smoking pot.... and maybe speeding. You want a drug that makes you break the law, try alcohol... that'll make you rob banks.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 12:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
That happened the day Obama/Biden beat McCain/Palin. I hated McCain/Palin, but I'll be damned if that wasn't the lesser of two evils.
Nice conservative remark (by the way I'm a registered independent so I'll try not to get into the whole libs v. conservatives argument)... can you back that up with any argument with substance? I mean why is McCain better than Obama? McCain is an old racist, hence why I decided not to vote for him at last minute. I don't have my white hood clean yet.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 12:57 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Yeah, alcohol is worse than pot in almost every regard.
Let's see, which of the two often results in:

domestic violence
fatal vehicular accidents
poor decision-making in general
sexual crimes
theft
serious health issues

?

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
Nice conservative remark (by the way I'm a registered independent so I'll try not to get into the whole libs v. conservatives argument)... can you back that up with any argument with substance? I mean why is McCain better than Obama? McCain is an old racist, hence why I decided not to vote for him at last minute. I don't have my white hood clean yet.
McCain is better than Obama because until recently when McCain tried to sell his soul to win the election, he was truly a fiscially conservative person who wanted to LIMIT government's intrusion into our lives. Obama wants the gov to wipe your arse for you because they obviously know better than you how to do it.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 1:15 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:

The way I see it, Arizona is and always has been run by retired conservatives, many of whom are borderline racist and intolerant. I
Just a quick point of correction as I just got back from a long day in Flagstaff helping my sister pack and move and I haven't read the whole thread yet: While its true that AZ is a 'red' state now (though its getting more purple) and has been for everyone on this forums lifetimes, that hasn't always been the case. Before the growth boom of the 40s/50s and the influx of midwesterners Arizona was a Democratic/Progressive state and thats reflected in our state constitution as well as long string of Democratic Representatives.

I'd be interested to see a pole about SB 1070 of only native Arizonans. I have a feeling we (as I am one) would generally be far more tolerant of immigration as we've come to realize how important it is to our state and likely have grown up with Hispanic immigrants, legal and otherwise.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 1:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:

domestic violence
sexual crimes
theft
serious health issues

?
no kidding... It boggles my mind (literally) that alcohol is legal but some other things aren't.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 2:42 AM

Quote:
no kidding... It boggles my mind (literally) that alcohol is legal but some other things aren't.
Why don't we legalize Heroin, Cocaine, LSD, and Ecstacy while we are at it? Hell, that sounds like Utopia defined.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 2:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Why don't we legalize Heroin, Cocaine, LSD, and Ecstacy while we are at it? Hell, that sounds like Utopia defined.
While I see the sarcasm, one could argue that alcohol is just as bad as the things you listed.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 2:47 AM
The Man

Quote:
McCain is better than Obama because until recently when McCain tried to sell his soul to win the election, he was truly a fiscially conservative person who wanted to LIMIT government's intrusion into our lives. Obama wants the gov to wipe your arse for you because they obviously know better than you how to do it.
Quote:
Am I the only one who sees the disconnect here?

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 2:49 AM
The Man

Quote:

domestic violence
sexual crimes
theft
serious health issues

?
I'm all for legalizing marijuana, but let's not pretend that's it's some perfect drug that has no downsides. I'm not sure how it's going to incite domestic violence, but aside from that I could easily see it causing everything else on your list at levels equal to alcohol if it were as widespread as alcohol.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 3:35 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I spend my summers in a place where it is more widespread than alcohol, and that is not the case.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 4:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwadswor View Post
Am I the only one who sees the disconnect here?
I chose to ignore.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 4:46 AM

no one in their right mind

What I can't understand is how anyone in their right mind as some here have been saying, would think it's going to be a burden to show proof of citizenship in AZ. Driver's Licenses in AZ have been proof of citizenship here for years. If fact, even though they are strictly opposed to Real ID at the capitol they have instituded many of their recommendations. If you are operating a motor vehicle you are required to have your DL with you. I have in fact recieved a ticket for not having my DL when pulled over for rolling a stop sign. I could however show him other photo ID and provide the correct SS#, DOB and address that coresponded to the required car insurance which I provided. Therefore I didn't need to be detained as a suspected fugitive. People from New Mexico will need to show some additional forms of ID that match their NM DL which doesn't prove citizenship. If their registration, insurance and license all have the same name and address and the picture matches the person it is most likely them. If you can register a vehicle and get insurance in your name without a SS# then there are big problems in this country and we needed this law more than I thought.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 4:48 AM

This is just silly. Most of us would ultimately agree that government has done some good things, right? I mean, sure it is easy to blame government for problems but, in the end, it doesn't get a lot of credit for doing what it does best - keep the gears turning. We have, as a nation, avoided massive plague/disease, market collapse, insurgency, and ruination for almost 100 years thanks to government programs kicking in. We're talking regulators from banking to food production. Every level of our lives are impacted by decisions that government made in order to keep you safe and alive & enjoying your freedoms. To pretend like a 40 hour work week or clean drinking water are bad things is to disregard the facts of how well government works. You may disagree with the government telling insurance providers that they can't cancel your policy if you get sick. I may disagree with the government telling Iraqis that they need a (small "r") republican form of leadership. There are things that the government does that seem like bad ideas. Sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't. If everyone stopped trusting you every time you made a bad decision, how many friends would you have? It is completely reckless to tout the less government mantra of the Tea Party (or the Libertarians that came before them) while enjoying all of the wonderful benefits the government provides.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 4:52 AM

@PhxByrd...an AZ Driver's License is not a proof of citizenship. What gives you that idea? You don't need to be a citizen to have a diver's license. I just went to the DMV with my British friend who is here on a visa to get a license. His visa expires in 3 months. His license? 2050.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest