HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 4:05 PM
Hindrance to Development

The "Green Line" is supposed to start this year, at least the one mile from the Amtrak depot to Richards Boulevard, near Township 9 and the new Greyhound station. It should be completed by 2011. From there it should enter Natomas.

I am not sure what equipment they will run on the Green Line--I can't imagine them needing four-car LRV trains for a one-mile run. It seems like a good opportunity to try out a streetcar instead, although they may have enough LRVs to just run a one-car train back and forth all day.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 5:03 PM

I really wish they would of picked red line instead of green line.

Any ETA on the consumes river extension? I was just in the area yesterday and I was imagining how cool it would be if there was huge LRT station near the CRC campus along with some dorms. I know the tracks aren't near the school but maybe they could turn and run along side consumes river blvd.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 6:08 PM
legalize it-0'0" setbacks

Hi Majin. Good news on the lightrail extension to CRC, it's RT's #1 priority right now and construction is still scheduled to start Spring next year.

http://www.slp2.org/

P.S.: If you think that projects like the DNA line to SMF are impossible due to funding, just wait and see in the next few years how federal funding for transportation might change. Here's a preview:

http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayRe...05022552&EDATE

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 6:11 PM

Wow that crazy. I never even looked at a map of the CRC LRT station plans and it does exactly what I said and runs down consumes river blvd to the front of school.

Maybe I should become a LRT planner.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The "Green Line" is supposed to start this year, at least the one mile from the Amtrak depot to Richards Boulevard, near Township 9 and the new Greyhound station. It should be completed by 2011. From there it should enter Natomas.

I am not sure what equipment they will run on the Green Line--I can't imagine them needing four-car LRV trains for a one-mile run. It seems like a good opportunity to try out a streetcar instead, although they may have enough LRVs to just run a one-car train back and forth all day.
they are gonna retrofit the LRVs they bought from the VTa and use those on the green line. i imagine they will be using 1-2 car trains, maybe even 30 minute intervals rather than 15. It will start at 13th street, and end at richards somewhere near 7th. at least thats what RT's site said last time i looked.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 12:45 AM
Kodachrome

Work to start on new Sacramento light-rail route

The Sacramento Bee
Friday, Oct. 9, 2009

It may look like the train to nowhere. But Sacramento Regional Transit officials are convinced it's an example of how to do transit right.

Despite financial woes, RT breaks ground next week on step one of a long-standing plan to build light rail from downtown to Natomas and, eventually, the airport.

The first step is a short one, running a lonely mile through vacant land from the county courthouse at Eighth and H streets to a terminus amid warehouses and back offices in a largely industrial area on Richards Boulevard.

Extension of the line over the American River is unlikely to happen before 2014, the airport connection not before 2017, RT officials said.

Until then, the little starter line to the corner of Richards and Seventh Street will be left to stand on its own.

For RT it represents a ride into the unknown at a tough time.

Cost estimates jumped from $37 million to $44 million at the last minute, forcing the agency to scramble to borrow money.

RT does not have money in its current budget to run trains once the line opens � expected in November 2010 � but RT officials said recent fare increases and internal cuts should free enough to fund a modest two-train line until the economy improves.

"Better to get these projects in place now," RT General Manager Mike Wiley said. "It will be more expensive later."

The bigger mystery, however, is how many riders will board the trains in an area where few now live and where redevelopment is only beginning.

RT officials acknowledge ridership numbers will be low at first. Fewer than 300 boardings per weekday are projected at Richards Boulevard in the first year � less than at the RT rail system's other terminus stations.

Sacramento City Councilman Ray Tretheway, an RT board member, brushed that aside, saying he is excited that for the first time light rail will go in first, then will help shape development.

"The risks were weighed, and I think we made the right call," he said. "To have transit there first is huge."

Typically, RT has wedged new light-rail lines into developed suburban areas, arriving as an afterthought to communities of car commuters.

By going in first, planners say, light rail and its stations can become focal points of new, urban-style, transit-oriented communities.

"It gives us opportunity to establish transit as the mode of choice as people move in," Wiley said. "It's a new test for us."

Mike McKeever, head of the Sacramento Area Council of Governments, the regional transportation planning body, said he will be watching with interest.

"It can actually play a role in transforming the land use in the area," he said.

When that happens is uncertain. With the economy down, officials said they don't know how long it will take for development to hit stride.

Several area landowners said they are laying groundwork now for dense housing, office and retail development near the rail line.

They hope to attract what developer Steve Goodwin calls "urban pioneers" � young couples and empty-nesters � who want to live near downtown and the river, and use transit for some daily travel.

Goodwin's project, called Township 9, will be directly linked to RT's Richards Boulevard light-rail station. Goodwin's company will help pay for the station.

The Township 9 development, when built out, could have 2,300 dwelling units near the station, mixed with offices and neighborhood stores.

"Yeah, it's a risk for RT, and a risk for us, but those are the kinds of risks required to spur development in areas that are landlocked," Goodwin said.

The city of Sacramento already has moved some offices into the Richards area, and the California Highway Patrol will have moved nearly 1,000 employees to a new headquarters there by the end of this year, officials said.

The huge downtown railyard is slated to become a development of housing, offices, stores and entertainment venues in the next decade. RT plans to add a light-rail station to its line through there as development occurs.

For now, the line's two trains, each with one car, will start near the 13th Street station between R and Q streets, run on existing lines among other trains to Eighth and H streets, then set out on their own up Seventh Street to Richards.

Planning for the line � called the Green Line � has been on fast-forward for a year, but RT had to jump a sudden hurdle last month when construction bids came in high.

The new estimate, $44 million, forced RT to borrow from a developer-fee account and from funds set aside for future improvements on the Gold Line to Folsom. The bulk of construction money is coming from RT's share of local Measure A transportation sales tax funds.

Getting the line built soon may turn out to be important for another financial reason, RT officials said.

RT is considering going to the ballot in November 2010 to ask Sacramentans to help finance more transit projects. Wiley said he wants the Green Line built before election day, to show voters the agency can get projects built, even in hard times.

Recent delays getting financing may have put that in jeopardy.

"I am not ready to give up yet that we will have a ribbon cutting prior to an election," Wiley said. "It is an extremely aggressive schedule."

Other transportation officials in the region have said a November 2010 funding request from voters may be too soon, and say 2012 may be a more realistic option.

http://www.sacbee.com/trafficnews/story/2241612.html

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 1:01 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Awesome, and the extension to CRC will be happening soon. good deal
I hope that as soon as they finish the mile, they start another 2 miles or so of the line. Baby steps
Oh are they gonna use those trains they got in San Jose? Man those things are fucken ugly

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 2:25 AM
Hindrance to Development

yeah, the old VTA trains look like they are made out of folded cardboard. Even the relatively blocky Siemens cars look sleek compared to them.

My question is this: if they know the route is going to be so lightly traveled, why use a full-size LRV? Use a streetcar instead!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 3:43 AM

They are also looking into extending the RT closer to ARC. At this point i think its a no go to bring it into campus, but they are looking at extending it up Auburn with a drop off at orange grove. We shall see how that plays out. They would have to deeply carve into the sides or delete the suicide lane. I would think they could go up winding a bit and dip into the slough, But much of that would be elevated once it got off winding way. I can imagine it must be very expensive to build elevated track these days.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post

RT is considering going to the ballot in November 2010 to ask Sacramentans to help finance more transit projects. Wiley said he wants the Green Line built before election day, to show voters the agency can get projects built, even in hard times.
I've always hoped Sacramento voters would approve something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fastracks

But honestly, I doubt I'll ever see it happen in my lifetime.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 1:48 AM
Closed account

KCRA.com
RT Expansion Project Kicks Off
Line To Connect Downtown Sacramento, River District

POSTED: 1:14 pm PDT October 12, 2009
UPDATED: 1:28 pm PDT October 12, 2009
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Sacramento's light rail service is pushing north from downtown.

[Rep. Doris Matsui, D-Sacramento, Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson and other local leaders break ground on a new light rail line.]
KCRA/Sam Gonzalez
Rep. Doris Matsui, D-Sacramento, Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson and other local leaders break ground on a new light rail line.

A groundbreaking ceremony on Monday took place at Richards Boulevard and Seventh Street, the site of a future Regional Transit station for the Green Line.

The extension is designed to connect downtown with the River District, where the Township 9 development is planned.

Rep. Doris Matsui, D-Sacramento, was on hand along with Mayor Kevin Johnson.

The line is scheduled to be up and running by November 2010.

RT plans to eventually extend the line to Sacramento International Airport.

http://www.kcra.com/news/21274749/detail.html

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 8:47 AM

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist3/projects/Sac_80/map.htm
i dont see any construction on this project.... does anybody know why construction hasnt start?? or when it will start??????????

Last edited by cruz; Nov 20, 2009 at 8:57 AM. Reason: wrong page

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 6:26 PM

I asked about this awhile ago on city data. No one knows but they were suppose to start this year from what remember. Obviously this project is extremely delayed or canceled.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 8:14 PM
Here we stAy

Is there even really a need for it? I've never seen much traffic on that stretch of freeway and it seems like a waste of money to build 2 unnecessary lanes on such a long segment of freeway.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 10:25 PM

yes there is..... two lanes would be really necesary.......becuase theres always traffic there...i always use the portion of the freeway and i always get stuck...traffic is really bad...

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 7:46 PM

City Council votes to open K Street Mall to bicycles

By Ryan Lillis
rlillis@sacbee.com
Published: Wednesday, Nov. 25, 2009 - 12:00 am | Page 2B
Last Modified: Wednesday, Nov. 25, 2009 - 9:36 am
The City Council voted Tuesday night to allow bicycle traffic back on the K Street Mall. Bikes should now be permitted on the thoroughfare soon after the new year.

Bicycles will be allowed on K Street between the yellow warning strips between Seventh and 13th streets.

Audible crossing signals may be placed at intersections from Seventh to 12th streets.

Bikes will not be permitted on sidewalks, and the bicycle speed limit will be 10 mph.

Bicycles will be allowed in the tunnel connecting downtown to Old Sacramento.
Opening up the K Street Mall to bicycle traffic will promote a connection between downtown, the Westfield Downtown Plaza and Old Sacramento, according to city staff.

Supporters of the change said that pedestrians and bicycles can co-exist on city streets.

"All I can say is, it's about time," said Councilman Steve Cohn, an avid cyclist.

*What Whould Jane Jacobs Do?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 8:39 PM

Never knew bicycles were banned.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 7:49 PM

yeah no room sidewalks are not for full speed bikes and the concrete brick work sucked on the light rail tracks......not sure where the bike "path" will be

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 2:24 AM
Hindrance to Development

Bikes will run in between the yellow strips where the LRVs operate, not in the pedestrian paths. They aren't intended to be full-speed bikeways, in fact speeds will be limited to 10 mph as Cynikal mentioned. Not sure how bikes are supposed to react when light rail vehicles approach them--do they hustle to the next block, or do they pull over into the pedestrian walkways?

Still, it worked just fine during the I-5 resurfacing, which provided some of the push to make the change permanent. It's not really a big deal.

I saw the PG&E #35 streetcar running down O Street today--they normally operate it on Black Friday. A nice bit of direct evidence that streetcars would run just fine on the Light Rail line, no modifications needed whatsoever.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 5:58 AM

OK, I dunno where else to put this :\

WBurg (or anyone else who knows I guess), what are considered the streetcar suburbs of Sacramento? What routes did the old streetcar lines take, which ones are and aren't feasible today? Any map you guys can point me to?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area