HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimnebulin View Post
That is a great name.

Is Badlands going to be opening up about the same time? Not knowing much about Lavender Heights developments, are Faces and Badlands any way related? Or is there just going to be some good competition between the two? As I drove by today on the way home from work, Badlands look like they're pretty close to opening from the outside.
Nope Badlands and Faces are not related. In fact, the owner of Faces nightclub is notorious for trying to put the kibosh for years on any competing clubs opening up in the area. I think The Depot owner (across the street from Faces) is opening up Badlands and has teamed up with San Francisco club of the same name to open up Badlands Sacramento. BTW 20th and K is really going to be the 'nightclub central' when MARRS, Badlands, and the new Faces all open up. The City is going to have to make that intersection safer for pedestrians!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 8:38 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

West Hollywood
Hillcrest
The Castro
"Lavender Heights"

Who would have thought, that Sacramento's gay district would be coming of age and taking off right about the same time other gay neighborhoods around the country are losing some of their identity..??? (I believe there's a thread that speaks to that very topic in the City forum.)

Although admittedly Sacramento's LH is primarily bars, and dance clubs and less concentrated gay residential area. But Midtown has always been a gay friendly and progressive place for people to live.

BTW TJ and his mother (i believe her name is Marge) own the Depot, Hot Rods and at least part (if not all) of Badlands, Sacramento.

Everything happening, and opening in that part of the central city will really add to the character of Midtown...

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
West Hollywood
Hillcrest
The Castro
"Lavender Heights"

Who would have thought, that Sacramento's gay district would be coming of age and taking off right about the same time other gay neighborhoods around the country are losing some of their identity..??? (I believe there's a thread that speaks to that very topic in the City forum.)

Although admittedly Sacramento's LH is primarily bars, and dance clubs and less concentrated gay residential area. But Midtown has always been a gay friendly and progressive place for people to live.

BTW TJ and his mother (i believe her name is Marge) own the Depot, Hot Rods and at least part (if not all) of Badlands, Sacramento.

Everything happening, and opening in that part of the central city will really add to the character of Midtown...
I was thinking about that same dichotomy, how our gay district is growing while others are closing down. Maybe a bit of the Bay Area effect? While the gay community is being priced out of the Castro, Lavender Heights is rolling out the red carpet. I'd like to see statistics on how large the gay community is in Midtown, I know from personal experience it's high.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 12:46 AM

^as I understood it, it was the older concentrated gay communities in large cities that were dissipating. In the bay area, surrounding communities like Berkeley and San Jose are experiencing growing communities, while San Francisco's is aging. Perhaps part of Sacramento's gay community maturation is part of that trend. I also know that midtown attracts gays and lesbians from the suburbs and outlying (conservative) valley areas. I'd consider myself part of that trend, as when looking for a place to live here after I landed my job several months ago, I didn't even bother looking outside of the grid.

Last edited by aufbau; Mar 3, 2007 at 12:52 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 5:54 AM
Got Good Grub?

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Nope Badlands and Faces are not related. In fact, the owner of Faces nightclub is notorious for trying to put the kibosh for years on any competing clubs opening up in the area. I think The Depot owner (across the street from Faces) is opening up Badlands and has teamed up with San Francisco club of the same name to open up Badlands Sacramento. BTW 20th and K is really going to be the 'nightclub central' when MARRS, Badlands, and the new Faces all open up. The City is going to have to make that intersection safer for pedestrians!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 6:19 AM

My roommates and I ate at McCormick and Schmick's today for lunch. The service and food were excellent, as was the interior decor. I highly recommend it to anyone. Good lunch menu prices, too!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 6:30 PM
Got Good Grub?

Buckhorn Grill at 18th & L is opening today...I'm assuming it's a soft opening since I haven't seen or heard anything about it - but I might have missed something.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimnebulin View Post
Buckhorn Grill at 18th & L is opening today...I'm assuming it's a soft opening since I haven't seen or heard anything about it - but I might have missed something.
The signs on the door say it's opening at 11:00am on Wednesday, the 7th....I think that's the 'grand opening' but I don't think they are doing anything too too special.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post

And don't forget the long awaited coffee house, "Pick Me Up" (or that was the name of it when I last checked), opening eventually in the building right next to HH (south of Headhunters on 20th.) Right now, it looks to be housing construction equipment for the Faces expansion, but I expect work to be continuing on that once Faces is completed....

It'll be nice to have something, along with MARRS, to bring life to that neighborhood during the day (at least, something other than the trolls drinking at the Depot in the afternoon)....

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 6:44 PM
Got Good Grub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacdelicious View Post
The signs on the door say it's opening at 11:00am on Wednesday, the 7th....I think that's the 'grand opening' but I don't think they are doing anything too too special.
I think you're right, it's probably the "Grand Opening" on the 7th. The manager from BG who called us this morning said they were opening today - so this is probably their soft opening - but who knows?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 6:50 PM

I was at Pronto on 16th and O a couple weeks ago and I was told by one the workers that there is a new pizza place opening up next door.

It's also going to be open late night serving slices WITH A FULL BAR. I think the people from Paesano's are opening it. Always nice to see another late night spot opening, esp a place that serves pizza slices to soak up the booze.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 7:12 PM
Got Good Grub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post
I was at Pronto on 16th and O a couple weeks ago and I was told by one the workers that there is a new pizza place opening up next door.

It's also going to be open late night serving slices WITH A FULL BAR. I think the people from Paesano's are opening it. Always nice to see another late night spot opening, esp a place that serves pizza slices to soak up the booze.
Like Blondie's or Fat Slice but with MORE alcohol - woohoo!

Not that Blondie's/Fat Slice is good pizza, but there's so much crust involved, it's great at soaking up all that booze. Unless you've had too much, then it becomes a gross cheese vomit. Ugh.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 12:50 AM
my posse's on broadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs913 View Post
I have a question for any of you Sacramento forumers...I may have some free time (most of a day) in downtown Sac next week. Any quick suggestions for interesting stuff for a 1st-time visitor to check out on foot? So far I was thinking the state capitol, the CA history museum, and Old Sacramento...
There are a couple really cool photo exhibits at the Crocker Art Museum. The museum is worth checking out for the building alone, but I've been meaning to check out the Sacramento Bee's 150th Anniversary exhibit.

If you must be in Old Town, be sure to find Lazlo's for some great smoked fish, then have a drink on the Delta Queen and watch the sunset.

I wish i had more time at the moment to go into more detail - but if you have any specific questions hit me up on the PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 9:48 PM

Hey guys I know this probably has been posted already but do you know what/who has signed on at MARRS so far? I think I heard that a pizza joint (?) and another wine bar was on board.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 9:55 PM

Yeah, Luigi's pizza has signed, along with an art gallery

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 10:48 PM
BUFF$LUT

i am so stoked about luigi's at MAARS!! like seriously, they have hella good pizza, and well the current location is like stockton and something, aka south sac territory, which is kinda far and scary. so a midtown luigi's AAAAND it's open LATE! i cannot wait. it will be one of the new late night hang out spots. for my friends and i, anyway.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 12:41 AM

Is that the same Luigi's that has a restaurant at Stockton & 14th Ave?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 12:41 AM

Yep...love that place.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 1:19 AM
BUFF$LUT

any word on how late it will stay open?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 1:32 AM
my posse's on broadway

I know Heller was turning down prospective tenants that could not commit to staying open later than 10:00. So, I would imagine about 2-3 on weekends. maybe 11-12 on weekdays?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area