HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TysonsEngineer View Post
Took a look around and found a new illustrative rendering of the CityLine redevelopment of Westgate office park that I dont believe was previously posted.

Westgate Office Park
Yes, that is CityLine's first major proposal. Things have been heating up significantly this week, as they have now made their plans for Westpark public as well.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...o-develop.html

Macerich is also close to breaking ground on phase one of the mall development, with a 550,000 square foot office tower likely getting under way soon.

Basically, Tysons is probably going to have at least 3-4 buildings taller than the Ritz by 2015, in addition to massive low/mid-rise residential development. A city is being born...!

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 7:21 PM

Georgelas Group lands Greystar to build first Tysons Corner apartment tower

Georgelas Group lands Greystar to build first Tysons Corner apartment tower

Jeffrey MacMillan/ Capital Business - Brandon Henry, Greystar managing director, expects the deal to build at the site to close before year-end.
Image courtesy of the Washington Post

By Jonathan O'Connell
May 8, 2011
Washington Post

"Hopes for high-rise housing development in Tysons Corner — a key part of Fairfax County’s plan for the area — got a boost recently when the developer behind the county’s demonstration project reached a tentative deal with a home builder to construct a 25-story, 404-unit apartment building near one of the planned Silver Line stations.

The Georgelas Group, selected to be Fairfax County’s partner on a 28-acre demonstration project near the coming Tysons West Metrorail station, plans to name Greystar, the nation’s largest manager of apartment units, to build the project’s first apartment tower. The tower would be a striking change to the Tysons landscape.

To be built, both the apartment project and the rest of the Georgelas proposal require zoning approval from Fairfax County, which has not yet considered the plans..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...sRG_story.html

Old Posted May 15, 2011, 12:58 PM

Cityline Partners plot overhaul of Westpark offices in Tysons Corner (Washington Post

TysonsEngineer:
Quote:
Took a look around and found a new illustrative rendering of the CityLine redevelopment of Westgate office park that I dont believe was previously posted.
The Washington Post also had this article and another rendering two weeks ago about the CityLine development.

Cityline Partners plot overhaul of Westpark offices in Tysons Corner

Cityline Partners’ proposed redevelopment of 19 acres on Westpark Drive in Tysons Corner, as seen from the south. (Image courtesy of the Washington Post)

By Jonathan O'Connell
May 1, 2011
Washington Post

"Westpark Office Park is the subject of the most recent — and possibly final — major application for zoning changes and colossal development plans in Tysons Corner.

Cityline Partners, the development group that controls Tysons Corner’s largest portfolio of properties, submitted plans to Fairfax County last week to transform the seven-building 1970s-era office park along Westpark Drive into up to 2.4 million square feet of new development. It is the 12thapplication county officials have received and, with the area’s major landowners and developers mostly accounted for, may be the last of the large, mixed-use plans for the near future.

This is the second submission for Cityline, the development manager for DLJ Real Estate Capital Partners, following its proposal to remake the Westgate Office Park in February. Cityline’s Thomas Fleury said despite the uncertainties that still linger in Tysons regarding transportation, street grids and other infrastructure, it was important to float plans early into those conversations..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...lTF_story.html

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 5:37 PM

Tysons Corner wants more people to call it home (Washington Post)

Tysons Corner wants more people to call it home

By Kafia A. Hosh
May 30, 2011
Washington Post

"Fairfax County is reaching out to affordable housing builders, lenders and experts as it tries to draw more residents to Tysons Corner, a community centered around office buildings and shopping malls.

Part of the county’s long-term plans for redeveloping Tysons includes ambitious affordable housing measures. Officials say new rules would allow young professionals and retail, hotel and restaurant workers to live near their jobs.

“If the plan did not include that kind of requirement . . . we would have people continuing to commute there from somewhere else,” said Sharon S. Bulova (D), chairman of the county’s Board of Supervisors..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...zEH_story.html

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 9:19 PM

Just found out there will be a "Transforming Tysons Open House" held tonight in McLean. I wish I could make it. All the major developers will be there to display their proposals and field questions. Let us know any news if any of you make it out.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/tysons/...eopenhouse.htm

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 9:25 PM

One of my friends is a planner for FFX County, so I'll see if he can provide a summary or renderings.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
One of my friends is a planner for FFX County, so I'll see if he can provide a summary or renderings.
Ugh, I really wish I could've gone! I was here, just didn't know about it. Would be really awesome to hear all the details.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 10:57 AM

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 7:23 PM

Development continues chugging along, and apparently the mall project is about to begin being built!

Full article, image from source:

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...l-project.html

What I'd really love to happen (although it definitely won't) would be for Macerich to bulldoze the mall as it is now and redevelop the site in an even more massive and urban format. The county should encourage this through giving them a huge FAR bonus for the overall project and lifting the height limits in that area--Tysons would get a true center instead of a mall (with malls becoming more obsolete...) and retail could be organized like Chevy Chase (or 5th Ave...) rather than in an obsolete form.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 5:17 PM

This isn't really Tyson's but I rode out on the W&OD trail yesterday and there is a new pedestrian/bike bridge over the Beltway, about 1/2 - 1 mile from Tysons. The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is building the HOT lanes on I-495 and the foundation of the old pedestrian bridge was starting to crack pretty significantly.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 9:10 PM

Growth Expert: No. Va. Needs More ‘Small’ Housing (Connection Newspapers)

Growth Expert: No. Va. Needs More ‘Small’ Housing
Fairfax and other localities must look to higher density, lower cost housing.

By Julie O'Donoghue
June 21, 2011
Connection Newspapers

"A demand for more housing exists in Northern Virginia, it is just a different type of housing than people have traditionally sought for here, said two experts earlier in June.

"There really is enough big housing. What we need is more small housing. … We need different housing," said Stephen Fuller, an economist with the Center for Regional Analysis at George Mason University. He spoke to members of the Northern Virginia Association of Realtors about the state of the local economy and housing market this month..."

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/...per=71&cat=104

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 3:33 PM

Here are some excellent photos of the Silver Line construction, from East Falls Church to Wiehle Avenue in Reston. I enjoy seeing all the progress on this important project but I really wish the Silver Line was buried through Tysons.

Tysons East
http://mysite.verizon.net/cambronj/w...-05-07_N02.htm

Tysons West
http://mysite.verizon.net/cambronj/w...-05-07_N06.htm

Other
http://mysite.verizon.net/cambronj/#2011-05-07

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 3:48 PM

Fairfax proposes change in how Tysons Corner projects affect development cap

Fairfax proposes change in how Tysons Corner projects affect development cap

A rendering of the Tysons West Metro station at the intersection of Spring Hill Road and Route 7. (Image courtesy of the Washington Post)

By Kafia A. Hosh
June 28, 2011
Washington Post

"Plans to redevelop Tysons Corner limit total office space in the community to 45 million square feet through 2030, an amount that could be exceeded by companies that have filed plans for new projects.

Now Fairfax County is proposing to only count projects against the cap when they are further down the pipeline, a change developers say could hinder financing..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...opH_story.html

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 8:53 PM

It's problematic that they still seem to prefer office over residential at Tysons. They should really give the developers carte blanche when it comes to new housing units, as a huge concentration of those are what will ultimately make Tysons a livable area (retail ensues, as does vibrant street life etc). Office is important as well but honestly, what Tysons needs is just a ton more full-time residents.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 4:06 PM

Lerner's next tower is now officially under construction, it seems it'll be about the same height as the two brown buildings next to the Ritz.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...ns-corner.html

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 1:14 PM

Has anyone seen a drawing or model of what the entire new Tysons' skyline might look like? I've seen plenty of the four metro clusters on their own, but I was wondering if anyone has bothered putting all of them together.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 4:35 PM

Reston Station update

The Reston Patch has an post with sixteen photos showing the progress of the Reston Station development. Reston Station is a transit-oriented development under-construction at Whiele Avenue along the Dulles Toll Road, at the end of Phase I of the Silver line. These photos are much appreciated, as the webcam images are blurry and poor quality.

[B]What's Up With That?[/B]
Just what is going on behind the fences at Reston Station?

Image courtest of the Reston Patch/Carolyn Lawson Low

"Since groundbreaking in April, the Reston Station site (at Wiehle Avenue and the Dulles Toll Road) has been the center of non-stop activity.

Backhoes travel back and forth, with the incessant backing-up beep. The parade of dump trucks is constant, removing dirt and debris from the site...."

http://reston.patch.com/articles/wha...#photo-7004298

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 12:52 AM

Good stuff. That is going to be a hell of a deep hole to fit all of the parking spaces. Has anyone seen any detailed renderings of the site? The best I could find was an online brochure with a few sketches and an overhead:

http://www.restonstation.com/emag/index.html

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 4:10 PM

I found a few concept renderings of the residential portion of Reston Station. The architect's murphy/jahns also has a concept model of the Weihle avenue buildings but they are just crude glass triangle and block sizing concepts.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 5:51 PM

Apparently Macerich is building three buildings at once rather than just the office tower on the Circuit City site, although only the office tower's render has been released so far.

Article: http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/...per=88&cat=104

Quote:

Timothy Steffan, senior vice president at Macerich, said Macerich will begin a project in 2012 at the old Circuit City location in Tysons Corner. He said it will be three buildings, including a 20-story office tower, a 300-room hotel and 400 residential units. Macerich operates Tysons Corner Center, the largest shopping center in the Washington area with Macy’s, Nordstrom, LL Bean and other major stores. Steffan said the new project will be connected to Tysons Corner Center with an elevated pedestrian walkway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations