HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 4:01 AM

Being the guy who's into airplanes, I wonder when the 747s will make their pilgrimage to Austin?

@Jdawg: True, then again, I'm sure most people depict Texas to be sort of a barren, desert-like landscape anyways. BUT, we might want to move away from that stereotype, I guess.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Im going to mention this but I kinda figured they were just kissing ass at the time but weren't they supposed to plant at least 500 trees around the track per city of Austin agreement? That area looks so bleak and kinda ugly. no offense to those who live there but they really need to plant some trees and lots of them at least around the parameter. Having F1 televised internationally, it doesn't exactly show the true beauty of the Austin area and compared to most of the other tracks landscaping and surroundings (Granted ours is only a couple years old), ours is lackluster. Great track, not so great surroundings.

I do see that they have planted some trees around the parking lots and along the new roads so that is good but they should plant more trees behind the stands and viewing areas to give it a nice green look.
I agree and yeah they were supposed to do that, but I believe it was 800 trees.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn1 View Post
OBTW y'all. It looks like Porsche will be out there next week Tues - Thurs. We think they'll be testing the Porsche 919.
Looks like fun:

Autoblog link

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 1:46 PM

Is COTA Living Up To Expectations?

http://www.keyetv.com/news/features/...ns-17372.shtml

Hard to believe they say some of these things with a straight face.

Quote:
According to the Texas Comptroller's Office, COTA has received $61.2 million in reimbursements from the State of Texas's events trust fund. The world-class facility has claimed COTA-hosted events are projected to generate an annual economic impact of $400 million to $500 million, equating to $4 billion to $5 billion over 10 years for Texas. Now two years have passed, is the track living up to its promise? "We are filling out our calendar with things that bring large crowds," said COTA spokesperson Julie Loignon. So far there are 200 events scheduled. That includes F1 which brings in $500 million alone every year. And the newcomer X Games is expected to rake in $50 million yearly. "We are in the second year for most of the races we are doing. X games is brand new. Redfest a country festival and a comedy festival is new this year," said Loignon. The challenge COTA face now, Loignon says, is making the international events more popular in the U.S. "Our job is to try to make sure that U.S. fans of sports entertainment know that these things are going on. They are every bit exciting as the races we've grown up watching," said Loignon. But with 80 percent of the F1 attendees being from outside of Texas, it only helps push money into hotels and local shops. Success or not? We will have to wait and see. This weekend's MotoGP is just the first of several major events on the track's calendar this year. Redfest is May23-25, X Games June 5-8 and F1 USGP Oct 31-Nov 2.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 7:28 PM

People called us liars & much more way back when we broke the COTA hotel booking scheme story. They were wrong.

"Hotel owner sues Circuit of the Americas over hotel rooms" (for about $59,000).

http://www.statesman.com/weblogs/for...r-hotel-rooms/

We'll look up the petition & see what else we can discover...

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 8:19 PM

From the petition:
Quote:
"In November 2013, Plaintiff contacted COTA to request payment for the canceled rooms and COTA responded that it would not pay the amounts owed and that COTA had "lawyers in tall buildings" to fight it.
I wish I could say I was surprised at COTA's response. I'm not.

You can see the petition here: http://tccweb.co.travis.tx.us/index....854675&t=CIVIL
...and you can see related docs here: http://tccweb.co.travis.tx.us/index....ils&id=854675#

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 3:11 PM

Governor candidate Greg Abbott goes karting at COTA with Bobby Epstein:

https://www.facebook.com/gpamericas/...36312166383330

Some of you might remember this shot I took last November, when Abbott also assisted Governor Rick Perry and Red McCombs awarding trophies on the podium of the 2013 F1 USGP:

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn1 View Post
Governor candidate Greg Abbott goes karting at COTA with Bobby Epstein:

This one seems perfect for a caption contest. I'll start:

"Now Bobby, I'm going to go ahead and be taking this kart home with me. And don't forget those F1 luxury box tickets along with your generous donation to my campaign. Hey look, a camera -- Bobby, give me that $25 million dollar smile!"

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 8:16 PM

Heh....yep.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 12:43 AM
Meh

http://www.austin360.com/weblogs/atx...cuit-americas/
Quote:
Posted: 1:21 p.m. Friday, May 16, 2014
X Games buildout starts at Austin's Circuit of the Americas

By Dave Doolittle

Circuit of the Americas officials sent us the photo above today.

It doesn’t show much — a few trucks and some front loaders — but for X Games fans it's big: the start of the buildout to next month’s games, the first to be held in Austin.

Over the coming weeks, crews will be turning the 1,400-acre site and its 3.4-mile race track into basically a festival, complete with giant skateboard ramps, dirt tracks for BMX and motocross bikes, live music stages and more.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 9:16 AM

Bernie Ecclestone Casts Doubt Over Future Of British Grand Prix. Long, but very interesting read (imho). As one of our followers put it, you could basically change Silverstone to COTA and most of the article would still be true. The end of the article reads like a plea for METF-esque state subsidy help to save the British GP.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/20...sh-grand-prix/

Quote:
Formula One’s chief executive Bernie Ecclestone has cast doubt over the future of the British Grand Prix due to uncertainty about the ownership of Silverstone, the historic race track in England which hosts the race.

Silverstone is owned by the British Racing Drivers’ Club (BRDC), a group of 850 senior motor racing figures which took over the lease of the track from Britain’s Royal Automobile Club in 1952. It sits on a former airfield and hosted the first round of the F1 world championship in 1950 which makes it one of the most historic tracks on the calendar.

Nevertheless, the BRDC has been trying to sell the track’s operating company Silverstone Circuits Limited (SCL) and lease its related land for the past five years. It isn’t surprising since SCL made a $3.6 million operating loss in 2012 and lost a further $1.5 million the previous year.

Earlier this week the BBRDC announced that the sale talks had collapsed and this has driven the doubt over the future of the British Grand Prix.

The BRDC has been down this road before. It did a similar deal in 2000 when marketing firm Interpublic took over management of Silverstone. The arrangement was short-lived, as Interpublic made huge losses on the deal, and it ended three years early in April 2004. The BRDC took back the management of the track and Mr Ecclestone was instrumental in helping it get a huge payout from the deal. It was used to build a business park surrounding Silverstone but Mr Ecclestone suggests it should have been kept in the bank.

“God only knows what is going on at Silverstone, it’s quite incredible,” he told Forbes. “This is the BRDC. That’s the problem. Years ago they could have sorted all that out. I got them out of a silly deal and got them 60 million in cash. Who knows whether the race is at risk. We have come to an arrangement with them. I’m happy with that.”

Although Silverstone hosts more than 50 motor races every year, the reason that the track loses money is largely due to the single F1 Grand Prix.

Race organisers generally do not get any revenue from F1’s television broadcasts or its corporate hospitality and advertising hoardings during a Grand Prix. Money from them goes to the rights holder the F1 Group leaving the circuits with ticket sales as their sole source of income from the series. This usually barely covers the annual hosting fee with running costs often funded by investment from governments.

The British Grand Prix is a rare exception as it gets no state subsidies. It means that the BRDC has to try to cover the running costs and hosting fee from ticket sales alone. This task is made all the more difficult by the fact that the hosting fee increases by an estimated 5% annually and this year comes to an estimated $23.1 million. This is the special “arrangement” Mr Ecclestone is referring to since F1 race fees rise to more than $60 million annually and usually increase by 10% every year.

Despite getting a good deal, the increasing hosting fee has still driven up the British Grand Prix ticket prices to become some of the most expensive in F1. They started at $244 (£145) in 2013 making them more expensive than even the cheapest tickets to the Monaco Grand Prix and the men’s final at Wimbledon.

The higher the ticket prices, the harder it is to fill the stands and cover the running costs and hosting fee for the race. It explains why the BRDC took the decision to try to distance itself from the track and, in turn, from the organisation of the British Grand Prix. The sale process began in 2009 when the members of the club gave the directors permission to sell a lease on the circuit and surrounding land rather than permission to sell it outright. The club then engaged accountancy firm PricewaterhouseCoopers to contact potential investors and it entered into exclusive talks with a preferred bidder.

The talks fell through and in May 2012 the BRDC announced it had opened discussions with other parties. In August last year it came to light that the talks had paid off as British newspaper the Independent revealed that a buyer had finally been found.

The BRDC confirmed the scoop in September and announced that property group MEPC had paid it $54 million (£32 million). In return MEPC got a 999-year lease on 280 acres of land surrounding the circuit including the business park which was funded with the money from Interpublic. The BRDC also said it had agreed terms to sell the lease on Silverstone itself and in November 2013 the Independent disclosed the details of this. Its report revealed that terms were agreed on 8 August 2013 when the BRDC signed a conditional binding agreement to sell its circuit business, Silverstone Circuits Ltd, along with a separate lease of the 467 acres of track-related land.

The deal put a price of just $16.9 million (£10 million) on Silverstone which stands in stark contrast to the construction cost of purpose-built F1 circuits. Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas, has hosted F1’s United States Grand Prix since 2012 and cost an estimated $400 million to build. Likewise, the facility in Abu Dhabi, which hosted its first F1 race in 2009, cost a total of $500 million. A new 3.5-mile track, which is set to rival Silverstone, is being built just 110 miles away in Wales and its management has forecast that it will cost $420 million (£250 million) to build.

The construction cost is one thing but the price obtained for a track on sale is another. The reason that Silverstone’s sale value was so low is common to all F1 tracks. Former BRDC chairman Stuart Rolt explained in a letter to club members last year that “the value of an asset that has a locked purpose as a business (in Silverstone’s case to be operated primarily as a motor racing circuit) is largely calculated from the profit that can be derived from it.” He adds “we made a net loss in the year…Our circuit assets value reflects this.”

Clause five of the BRDC Members’ Charter ensures that “the core operation and activity of the Circuits and immediately surrounding land to remain essentially as a venue for car racing and related activities.” Accordingly, the lease-holder could not convert Silverstone into a different business, such as a housing estate, so its price can only be based on its financial performance as a racing track. Bearing that in mind that Silverstone made a $3.6 million operating loss in 2012 it doesn’t sound too bad that the following year it had a $16.9 million sale price. However, in the end the BRDC could not even get that.

On Wednesday the BRDC announced that the sale of SCL and lease of the track-related land has fallen through. It is perhaps no surprise given that the asset on offer was a loss-making business. The announcement said that “the BRDC will now retain full ownership of SCL” and “as the authority granted by Members to the Board to secure a deal has now expired, no further agreements of this nature will be entered into without first communicating with Members.”

In 2012 Mr Rolt said that the purpose of the sale was “to completely separate on a financial level Silverstone from the BRDC for the period of the lease.” As the sale will not be taking place the BRDC is left with a loss-making track which is a potential liability and this has fuelled doubt over the future of the British Grand Prix.

The news about the brakes being put on the sale comes at a bad time. The prospectus for the stalled stock market flotation of F1 states that race “fees are often due three months before the Event” which is around now since the British Grand Prix will take place on 6 July. The funds from a sale of SCL and a lease of the related land would have helped to offset the $23.1 million race fee though the BRDC is nevertheless getting a boost from elsewhere.

British driver Lewis Hamilton is currently second in the F1 standings, up from fourth last year, and Silverstone’s chairman Neil England recently said that this has fuelled an increase in ticket sales. Mr England said he had some concerns early in the year but sales are now “pretty much in line with where we’d like them to be.”

In a letter sent to members earlier this week BRDC chairman John Grant added that “forecasts prepared by the management team as part of the sale process demonstrate that results should improve over the coming years, and we expect the business to be profitable before depreciation in 2014.” If this is what happens then it should clear up any doubt over the future of the British Grand Prix. However, if Silverstone makes another loss it isn’t clear what source would be used to cover it.

Although many millionaires and several billionaires are members of the BRDC its structure as a club has meant that the directors have historically not approached them for funding. The BRDC’s 2012 financial statements show that it had just $418,000 (£259,000) of cash reserves and they won’t be topped up with the money from MEPC. Instead of putting the money in the bank it is being used to clear debt which funded construction of a new pit and paddock complex. The facility opened in 2011 and helped Silverstone land a 17-year contract to host the British Grand Prix.

The BRDC can’t fall back on the Interpublic money either because that was used to fund construction of the business park which was leased to MEPC to clear the debt. If the BRDC had kept the Interpublic money in the bank it would have reduced the current uncertainty which explains Mr Ecclestone’s comment that “years ago they could have sorted all that out.”

An obvious source of funding to cover a loss would be more debt. However, it seems unlikely that this would be high on the BRDC’s list of options given the lengths it has gone to in order to become debt free.

There is also the question of how much money could be borrowed given that security would need to be provided for a loan and the BRDC has sold off its most valuable asset – the land surrounding the track. Indeed, as the BRDC has spent years trying but failing to sell its remaining asset – the track and related land – it would be ironic if it became the security for a new loan.

The reason for this is that the point of a loan security is that it can be seized by the bank if the borrower fails to repay the debt. The bank can then sell the security to try to recoup the money that it loaned. However, if an asset has failed to sell over five years then it raises the question of whether a bank would want it as a security.

That said, one of the biggest hurdles in the way of selling Silverstone could have been that the track is loss-making and this of course results from it being used as a race track. Silverstone’s purpose is locked as a “venue for car racing and related activities” in the BRDC Members’ Charter but it remains to be seen whether this restriction would still apply if the track had a new owner rather than a new lease-holder.

If the BRDC was no longer the owner then one wonders whether its Members’ Charter could still be enforced over Silverstone. If not, then a bank could threaten to level the track and develop the land for residential purposes which would make a great deal of money. Given Silverstone’s historic status within the motor racing industry such a threat would almost certainly force the government of the United Kingdom into finally giving state subsidies to the track. Not only could that secure Silverstone’s future but it would bring the British Grand Prix into line with the majority of the other races on the F1 calendar.

Perhaps F1’s biggest irony is that the British Grand Prix does not get any state funding despite it being the first-ever round of the F1 world championship and despite the F1 Group and the majority of the 11 teams being based in Britain. In contrast, the US Grand Prix gets around $25 million of funding every year from the state of Texas even though not a single F1 team is located in the country.

Even the new track which is being built in Wales has already received a $3.4 million (£2 million) grant from the Welsh government which itself is funded by the UK government. The project recently attracted criticism as it is asking for a further $84 million (£50 million) more from the government but has refused to name its investors.

Regardless of whether it gets $84 million, the $3.4 million that it has already received is more than the UK government gives to Silverstone which has been creating jobs and acting as a national flagship for the motor racing industry for decades. It is certainly not work in progress like the track in Wales.

Although the $3.4 million may not sound like a great deal in motor racing terms it alone could have gone a long way to covering the shortfall in Silverstone’s 2012 financial statements. Time will tell whether it has fared any better since then.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 10:22 PM

X Games progress at COTA

https://www.facebook.com/XGamesAustin

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 11:03 PM
Rundberg & I35

Silverstone is an aging track with no state support and is losing money. Seems to be the opposite of COTA...which is brand new, state supported, and making money well ahead of projections.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet View Post
Silverstone is an aging track with no state support and is losing money. Seems to be the opposite of COTA...which is brand new, state supported, and making money well ahead of projections.
I haven't been hearing that at all. Quite the opposite in fact, even with the huge state subsidies.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
X Games progress at COTA

https://www.facebook.com/XGamesAustin
So what about RedFest? Are they just going to have it in the middle of all the construction? I guess they figure the audience won't be able to tell the difference between construction noise and Lynrd Skynrd anyway. I mean, they can't tell the difference between Natty Light and beer, so what's the harm?

I kid. But seriously, won't all the X Games construction be distracting? It's a pretty tight schedule, so I'm guessing they will be actively working through Redfest itself. That doesn't sound optimal...

EDIT: I think I've figured it out! Redfest IS the construction for the X-Games! It's all part of COTA's plans to minimize labor expenses. So Redfest attendees will get to enjoy such exhibits as "build your own grandstand", "unload a real 18-wheeler" and "hands-on BMX trail construction and repair".

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 3:24 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
So what about RedFest? Are they just going to have it in the middle of all the construction? I guess they figure the audience won't be able to tell the difference between construction noise and Lynrd Skynrd anyway. I mean, they can't tell the difference between Natty Light and beer, so what's the harm?

I kid. But seriously, won't all the X Games construction be distracting? It's a pretty tight schedule, so I'm guessing they will be actively working through Redfest itself. That doesn't sound optimal...

EDIT: I think I've figured it out! Redfest IS the construction for the X-Games! It's all part of COTA's plans to minimize labor expenses. So Redfest attendees will get to enjoy such exhibits as "build your own grandstand", "unload a real 18-wheeler" and "hands-on BMX trail construction and repair".
Isn't the amphitheater area separated from the main grandstand area by thousands of feet? COTA is huge, there's plenty of space for both.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post

LOL!

Hadn't thought about the conflict. Interesting question. I'll see what I can find out.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Isn't the amphitheater area separated from the main grandstand area by thousands of feet? COTA is huge, there's plenty of space for both.
Looks like there's some overlap.

Wow. On the map, RedFest isn't nearly as big as they made it sound like it would be, and it's a fraction of the X Games footprint. There will be X Games construction surrounding RedFest. I've heard sales are pretty miserable for RedFest though, so maybe not that big of a deal.

Last edited by turn1; May 20, 2014 at 4:52 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 3:10 AM

Looks like situation normal at COTA for Red Fest:

chad d @cdemot02
#RedFest thanks for overcharging me for the seats. One and done with this festival.

chad d @cdemot02
#RedFest buy lawn and get floor. Buy floor and get overcharged.

chad d @cdemot02
@Austin_F1 show didn't sell as well as they would of liked. Talked to supervisor over fifty complaints and distractions left and right

chad d @cdemot02
@Austin_F1 people cannot see over people that didn't pay the price now..... Nor will some move from their supposedly "temporary" seats"

chad d @cdemot02
@Austin_F1 the host tells them to come on down, which I get you want it filled, but its acl-like....

chad d
@cdemot02
@Austin_F1 they are trying to make it fill bigger. Will be calling Ticketmaster higher and higher...

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 4:04 AM
Everywhere all at once

Since Austin will be hosting the X-games for at least the next four years, is it safe to say that what they are building now will contain some semi-permanent venues that will be left standing through that whole run of time? It seems counterintuitive to dismantle everything each year and reassemble it again. Especially since X-games super fans may want to visit in the off season. I could even imagine a public sports park and museum. It would certainly enhance COTA's cache as a sporting destination.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin