HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 4:09 AM

I hope they have the RNC in Denver, that way I can see how both halves act. The DNC was a blast. I wound up in the background crowd on the Chris Matthews' Hardball show.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 6:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
That, and late August/early September is generally the worst time of year, weather-wise, for Phoenix. Not only is it miserably hot, its also (for Arizona, at least) unbearably humid thanks to the summer monsoon season. Throw in a haboob or two for good measure

Then again, the last conventions were held in Tampa and Charlotte, respectively. Not exactly places with ideal summer weather, but neither get as hot as Phoenix.
Bargain room rates though. That could be a factor too. Off peak season = many vacancies. Peak season has big groups that are occupying Phoenix with contracts that go back years in advance. Phoenix will be "available" in the summer/early fall.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 11:46 PM

We, Cleveland, will also have a brand new convention center hotel finished by then, along with 4-5 other brand new downtown hotels that will be finished, and some others that were just recently built. Not to mention we also are the only city in Ohio that have passenger rail connecting the airport with all the amenities and facilities downtown top that off with a nationally recognized food scene, second largest performing arts district, a brand new state of the art convention center,Rock and Roll HoF and both a Lake AND river front

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
There are 4,000 hotel rooms within a 10 minute walk to the convention center so it'll be fine.
10 minute walk is 9.5 minutes too long for Republicans. The more important question for them is how many parking spots surround the convention center.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 12:26 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshSteve View Post
We, Cleveland, will also have a brand new convention center hotel finished by then, along with 4-5 other brand new downtown hotels that will be finished, and some others that were just recently built. Not to mention we also are the only city in Ohio that have passenger rail connecting the airport with all the amenities and facilities downtown top that off with a nationally recognized food scene, second largest performing arts district, a brand new state of the art convention center,Rock and Roll HoF and both a Lake AND river front
cleveland also has a choice of a fantastic newly renovated underground cc downtown or one of the top ten largest convention centers in the world at the airport, so if the rnc (or dnc) really want to show a huge crowd on tv, the IX center would be the place. and it has a ferris wheel. repubs like ferris wheels dont they?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 1:19 PM

PoshSteve:
Quote:
Not to mention we also are the only city in Ohio that have passenger rail connecting the airport with all the amenities and facilities downtown
Hahahahahahaha! Republicans riding public transit? Hahahahahahahahaha!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshSteve View Post
Hope Cleveland has ample stock of fumigate set aside for post-convention sanitation. Sarah Palin will be speaking.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
PoshSteve:

Hahahahahahaha! Republicans riding public transit? Hahahahahahahahaha!
Although I understand that is a joke, and I know PLENTY of conservatives that would fit under that umbrella, you should know that there are also a sizable part of the movement who like cities and transportation.

I am one of them.

I think this is where liberals and conservatives get it wrong; they mix up their governments, from local to national.

Liberals don't understand that their policies could usually be easily passed on the state level, and that most things they want should not have to be a national policy.

Conservatives sometimes are anti government period, even when its local or state.

I am a conservative. I don't want my local or national government wasting money or putting my liberties at risk. However, I would rather have a large local/state government than a large national government. Also, my views on the Federal government comes from the Constitution. The Constitution has nothing to do with local or state government, unless of course it is violating our basic rights.

So in short, we need to stop being idiots and learn our governments. Liberals can deal with their own, I've been trying to beat this idea into my conservative friend's heads for years now... For some reason, these ideas escape common sense for one reason or another.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 8:52 PM

And yes, I understand that was a ridiculous response to a joke lol I just wanted to point out my thoughts.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 6:21 PM
ColoRADo

List cut to 6:
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Denver
Dallas
Kansas City
Las Vegas

Cut:
Columbus
Phoenix

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
List cut to 6:
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Denver
Dallas
Kansas City
Las Vegas

Cut:
Columbus
Phoenix
Las Vegas seems most appropriate.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 7:29 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Dallas is by far the richest republican city. Maybe they are figuring it will be held there?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 7:55 PM

If Rand Paul steams ahead – Denver could be good. Fits with the Libertarian thing.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Dallas is by far the richest republican city. Maybe they are figuring it will be held there?
Is the point to turn more Democrats to Republican to gain more votes?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 6:31 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Is the point to turn more Democrats to Republican to gain more votes?
No. Typically it's to rally the base.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
If Rand Paul steams ahead – Denver could be good. Fits with the Libertarian thing.
Does it make a region hypocritical to host the DNC and then the RNC not long after? Denver hosted the DNC when Obama was first running for office. If I were one of the political hot-shots attending the convention I wouldn't want to do so in a city that JUST held that same convention for my opponent, but maybe they really don't care, IDK.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions