HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 5:17 PM

^ Good to see this one climbing quickly. I feel like that massive podium took like 10 months to build.

Does anyone know what the heck is going on at 676 N. LaSalle right now? Crews are erecting some kind of steel frame with no sign of foundations below.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 5:21 PM
Chicago picture-taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
^ Good to see this one climbing quickly. I feel like that massive podium took like 10 months to build.

It did seem to be low and slow for awhile. Here's an update from early December:

http://wp.me/p7uLxw-1ud

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
What do you mean by this?
this is pretty much the pattern everyone is going to be trying to erase in 10 years because it looks "so 2013"

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jan 10, 2017 at 10:51 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 7:01 PM

It's a bit of a design handicap when architects just sort of don't know what to do with the facade when there's budget constraints. They're attempting "to break up the facade". Well...not really.

The common wall on the hotel is different though. There's examples since the early 1900's where architects have done patterns on blank walls. But usually that was masonry patterns and the designs were much more refined geometry. My landlord is planning a taller building on southport that will use more classical masonry patterns for a tall windowless wall that may someday be covered up by another building......assuming he gets his variance.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 9:01 PM

Well it looks like we can chalk up the Exhibit on Superior to the completed category on the front page. It is now moving in its first residents.
http://chicago.curbed.com/2017/1/10/...superior-opens

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
this is pretty much the pattern everyone is going to be trying to erase in 10 years because it looks "so 2013"
Oh, so that's what your "kitchen backsplash" comment was. (Prompted by your own apartment, or is that stock photography?) I think Mr Downtown and others may have been thinking more about the materials language, not the patterning. Well I don't believe these will date too badly, if they're either done subtly or made sufficiently intriguing. The one next to Weese's Christian Science church may be questionable I guess, given its rarefied location.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 3:10 AM
Urbane observer

For some 70 years, architects have been experimenting with "randomness" in cladding materials. In my opinion, all of these experiments—with the historic exceptions of rough-cut stone or clinker brick—are aesthetic failures that look horribly dated 20 years later. I think about all the 1970s university buildings around the country whose fenestration prompted student legends that they were designed to resemble IBM punchcards.

Whether by nature or culture, we are conditioned to expect fractal randomness in nature, and to expect evident orderliness in the built environment. Tinker with these cultural settings at your peril.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 3:39 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know what the heck is going on at 676 N. LaSalle right now? Crews are erecting some kind of steel frame with no sign of foundations below.
http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/1/22/...salle-revealed

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:08 AM

^^ Our very own IBM punchcard, the Weese jail on Van Buren, looks fine today; the random portion is limited and confined within a broader orderly pattern. So as I suggested, if carried out with a light touch, or adhering to some abstracted "evident orderliness" (say, 235 W Van Buren), I think designs can find some degree of success. But carry it too far and you're right; I think the exciting 830 N Milwaukee being discussed right now in General Developments makes me a bit queasy with its random widths, despite it being fantastic otherwise.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 2:16 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
For some 70 years, architects have been experimenting with "randomness" in cladding materials. In my opinion, all of these experiments—with the historic exceptions of rough-cut stone or clinker brick—are aesthetic failures that look horribly dated 20 years later. I think about all the 1970s university buildings around the country whose fenestration prompted student legends that they were designed to resemble IBM punchcards.

Whether by nature or culture, we are conditioned to expect fractal randomness in nature, and to expect evident orderliness in the built environment. Tinker with these cultural settings at your peril.
Some materials like steel or glass simply look better uniform in both organization and fabrication. But a city of just those materials can make the city seem lifeless to me. It's what makes wood or brick such great visual materials. They can be cut and organized into patterns, but these warmer materials themselves typically have a lot of natural variation with them. A solid wall of Chicago brick looks like art to me.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Some materials like steel or glass simply look better uniform in both organization and fabrication. But a city of just those materials can make the city seem lifeless to me. It's what makes wood or brick such great visual materials. They can be cut and organized into patterns, but these warmer materials themselves typically have a lot of natural variation with them. A solid wall of Chicago brick looks like art to me.
Mr. D is showing is lack of architectural education... yes, 'randomness' is one of the most difficult design goals to achieve successfully (see almost every attempt by hack Antunovich) but when done successfully, out of ANY material, it can be timeless (see Spertus)...

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 4:35 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
830 N Milwaukee being discussed right now in General Developments makes me a bit queasy with its random widths, despite it being fantastic otherwise.
It always amazes me the wide scale of opinion on what looks good to people. To me, this building is simply horrible. It looks cheap and lifeless and already looks outdated.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Last edited by HomrQT; Jan 11, 2017 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 7:45 PM

I only see delight in random fenestration when it's there for a purpose. A deliberate expression of the program within or the result of customization by the building occupants. Even one of those orderly classical facades on S Michigan Ave achieve some subtle randomness when the shades are drawn in different positions. I wish it was something architects focus less on trying to achieve and instead something that is a result of a different floor plan on another level, or requirements for additional light...or deliberate lighting effects with varying colors of tinted glass.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:03 PM

http://chicago.curbed.com/2017/1/11/...high-rise-news

Oh snap! Fingers crossed for a supertall...

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:07 PM

Quote:

Fingers also crossed for mixed-use and cladding materials other than blue glass.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
fingers also crossed for mixed-use and cladding materials other than blue glass.
+1

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:18 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Fingers also crossed for mixed-use and cladding materials other than blue glass.
spyguy posted what he found back in october.

if this is in fact the active proposal for this site, then this one won't be a supertall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Came across this tiny rendering while looking at a report. Looks to be a (the?) new office tower where General Growth currently stands. Reminds me a bit of a slimmed down 191 Wacker, but who knows if the design has changed since.

I count about 50 floors + crown, so that should put it well above 700'+.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:27 PM

Quote:

Supertall? Probably not.

No time, date, or location for the meeting is listed. Hopefully that'll come out in the next day or two.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
spyguy posted what he found back in october.

if this is in fact the active proposal for this site, then this one won't be a supertall.
Thing is that this rendering doesn't look much like a Goettsch design.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Thing is that this rendering doesn't look much like a Goettsch design.
Maybe KPF since it looks so much like 191 N. Wacker?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations