HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 2:09 AM
Born and raised

Here's a picture of Midtown I took today to give a idea of how much progress has taken place. In June I took a picture in a similar location. The before and after are definitely noticeable. A lot can change in six months.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 12:24 PM

That pic is astounding...........

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 2:42 PM

Colony Square Updates

Proposed Site Plan

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 3:05 PM

Addition included in last night's Midtown DRC. A renovation of an existing building, although still worth the note:

NEW APPLICATION: 1280 West Peachtree Street
Proposed renovation of an existing structure at the corner of 16th and West Peachtree
Streets, chosen as Interface’s new Corporate Headquarters. Exterior modifications
include: removal of a 1980’s finish to expose much of the original 1960’s brick office
building; a recessed first floor at the street level to provide a covered entry into the
lobby and to better accommodate pedestrians and visitors arriving by transit; a new fullheight
veil of glass and white forest graphic wrapping the West Peachtree and 16th
Street facades. All of the building’s systems will be upgraded, including: new HVAC and
lighting systems that will help reduce the building’s total energy use to almost 50% of
typical office buildings; and a cistern for collecting, storing and treating rainwater that
The Midtown SPI-16 and Piedmont SPI-17 Development Review Committees (DRC) are the City of Atlanta's advisory committees providing formal
recommendations to the Bureau of Planning on all Special Administrative Permit (SAP) Applications within both zoning districts. The Development
Review Committees are not Midtown Alliance Committees.
will eliminate the need for municipal water for restroom fixtures and irrigation. These
strategies and others will help the building e

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Addition included in last night's Midtown DRC. A renovation of an existing building, although still worth the note:

NEW APPLICATION: 1280 West Peachtree Street
Proposed renovation of an existing structure at the corner of 16th and West Peachtree
Streets, chosen as Interface’s new Corporate Headquarters. Exterior modifications
include: removal of a 1980’s finish to expose much of the original 1960’s brick office
building; a recessed first floor at the street level to provide a covered entry into the
lobby and to better accommodate pedestrians and visitors arriving by transit; a new fullheight
veil of glass and white forest graphic wrapping the West Peachtree and 16th
Street facades. All of the building’s systems will be upgraded, including: new HVAC and
lighting systems that will help reduce the building’s total energy use to almost 50% of
typical office buildings; and a cistern for collecting, storing and treating rainwater that
The Midtown SPI-16 and Piedmont SPI-17 Development Review Committees (DRC) are the City of Atlanta's advisory committees providing formal
recommendations to the Bureau of Planning on all Special Administrative Permit (SAP) Applications within both zoning districts. The Development
Review Committees are not Midtown Alliance Committees.
will eliminate the need for municipal water for restroom fixtures and irrigation. These
strategies and others will help the building e

It is this one.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 3:20 PM

Kind of crazy that Colony Square may soon be the anchor destination location of Midtown. This could be the type of development that keeps residents in Midtown and lures others from nearby neighborhoods to visit instead of going elsewhere (West Midtown, O42, L5P, Inman Park, Buckhead, etc.) for entertainment. Best of all is that if car traffic becomes an issue, people can take MARTA to get here.

Here's hoping there's some sort of fresh market in the development. And I hope it isn't too long before we see more developments rise in the area (Lennar, Yoo, Opus, 1105 West Peachtree, and while it may be a long shot with 1105 West Peachtree going on, I'd really love to see something happen to 1125 Peachtree).

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
It is this one.
Ahhhh, gotcha! I thought we had heard about it before. I wasn't putting 1 and 1 together, thank you. I am excited for the area around Arts Center to develop!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Are there any renderings of Broadstone West Midtown although I'm sure they'll be generic...I just hope they use a lot of brick to complement Westside Provisions.
It will be three buildings; 2 6-story and 1 5-story:

Quote:
Broadstone Westside - Building A (MP)
New 6 story multi-residential (Apartment) mixed use building with retail, amenity, fitness and plaza and poolcourtyards on site with a free-standing pre-cast concrete parking deck. Urban infill site with new concrete (Type IA) and wood (Type lllA) construction. Building zone A consists of Related demolition permit BB-201603675.
Quote:
Broadstone Westside - Building B (MP)
New 5 story multi-residential (apartment) mixed use building with retail, amenity, fitness and plaza and poolcourtyards on site with a free-standing pre-cast concrete parking deck. Urban infill site with new concrete (Type IA) and wood (Type lllA) construction. Building zone B consists of Related demolition permit BB-201603675.
Quote:
Broadstone Westside - Building C (MP)
New 6 story multi-residential (Apartment) mixed use building with retail, amenity, fitness and plaza and pool courtyards on site with a free-standing pre-cast concrete parking deck. Urban infill site with new concrete (Type IA) and wood (Type lllA) construction. Building zone C consists of Related demolition permit BB-201603675.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATBOYKEV View Post
I can't tell if NAP is keeping the parking deck entrance & drop off from their fly-thru rendering. I really hope they do away with this pedestrian experience killing "feature"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
It is specifically mentioned in the DC agenda that this will be going away and the parking entrance reconfigured.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=2413
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
While these are still preliminary & subject to many changes the renderings from the design architect's website (Beyer Blinder Belle) illustrate retail being built out to Peachtree at the drop-off/parking entrance area.
Quote:

Proposed Site Plan

So they're not getting rid of the ramps or...?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaca View Post
So they're not getting rid of the ramps or...?
According to the updated plans/renderings the ramps are staying but the drive through drop-off area in front of 5Church, Chilfila, & Starbucks has been removed.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 6:28 PM

It looks like they got rid of the car drop-off loop but left the ramps. That should improve the pedestrian experience greatly. I think it's a good compromise

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 6:51 PM
Kev K

Quote:

I am curious to see how the architect plans to deal with the retail spaces being ~5' below grade in the 100 & 400 building on the west (Peachtree) frontage.

Starbucks, Chik Fil-A, and Tamarind Thai are all pretty well sunken down and hidden from the sidewalk. If you currently walk by, you barely notice Starbucks & Chik Fila and their hours are understandably set up for office workers to grab a bite and drink as opposed to Midtown residents. The renderings seem to show spaces at grade as well as new second floor spaces facing Peachtree.

Are they planning on lowering the sidewalk elevation or are they ripping out the retail and building a platform of sorts inside the buildings?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 6:59 PM
BANNED

Colony Square

Looks like the Apple Store rendering is missing from the new plan.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 7:09 PM

I thought the building that says "Tech" was the assumed Apple store? They never had a rendering that actually had the Apple logo...just "Tech" so most just assumed it was an Apple Store.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 7:24 PM

wow, that pic of midtown is crazy - and yet there's more to come in the current cycle.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 8:09 PM

Hmmm these new renderings of Colony Square seem a little less impressive than the original ones. Not bad, just not...WOW.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Colony Square

Looks like the Apple Store rendering is missing from the new plan. ]
There's still retail and a low rise building in the renderings at the apple/tech location (15th st intersection), we just don't see what exactly it is.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 8:41 PM

Midtown DRC January Update

Interface HQ:

Quote:
Exterior modifications include: removal of a 1980’s finish to expose much of the original 1960’s brick office building; a recessed first floor at the street level to provide a covered entry into the lobby and to better accommodate pedestrians and visitors arriving by transit; and a new full-height veil of glass with white forest graphic wrapping the West Peachtree and 16th Street facades

1105 West Peachtree Street:

Quote:
Since last month’s review, the applicant has identified solutions to more effectively screen the parking structure and to simplify and clarify the overall building design. At the request of the committee, the applicant explored alternatives for consolidating loading and service functions along 13th Street. In doing so, the applicant was able to create more active use space, improve sidewalk conditions and pedestrian safety, and strengthen the opportunity to provide significant artistic expression at the corner of Peachtree Walk and 13th Street

Colony Square Renovation:
Quote:
The committee recommended conditional approval for a site plan that proposes the removal of the Peachtree drop-off lane, enhanced pedestrian access into the interior retail area, on-street parking, and vehicular access improvements at the existing driveways. The committee stressed that the success of the project will depend on the details and requested additional information on components such as retail design, a right-of-way swap with City of Atlanta, and the feasibility of proposed traffic calming solutions as the project moves forward.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
Hmmm these new renderings of Colony Square seem a little less impressive than the original ones. Not bad, just not...WOW.
Actually I think the new renderings are a better design-- at least more fleshed out-- what you would expect at this point--
the Interface Headquarters is really interesting.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
Actually I think the new renderings are a better design-- at least more fleshed out-- what you would expect at this point--
the Interface Headquarters is really interesting.
I agree, the renderings are a little more realized on what could really be.

I still do think an Apple Store may be possible on the other side, they lack showing really any of the new building that would get built on the left side where Apple would seemingly be.

I'm intrigued by Interface, like that someone is willing to think outside the box.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations