HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 4:35 AM
Mac User

This is the only rendering of the "Crystal Tower" that I could find. It was going to be part of the new Hotel Georgia but instead a much more boring design was chosen.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 5:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
why don't you call up estudio barozzi veiga and tell them how bad at designing they are...
What's their number? I will call them up and ask them what is up with the random blank space. Or maybe I'll e-mail them so I can post my question and their response for all to see...

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 1:01 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
why don't you call up estudio barozzi veiga and tell them how bad at designing they are...
Why don't you call up Raymond Hood and tell him about how he botched the Tribune Tower...

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 10:58 PM
BANNED

Office tower Mahler 4 Amsterdam (NL)

eea-architects

The Mahler4 office tower is part of an expressive ‘High-Rise’ urban development south of Amsterdam. Located in the proximity of the city centre and with direct access to the urban network of public transport and motorways, the project has the potential to benefit from its unique location. The ambitious programming of a lively, high-density mixture of offices, housing, retail and public space, designed by nine international architects, all contribute to an exceptional project of metropolitan scale.

The urban concept for this location as developed by the Architecten Cie is based on a vertical layering structure with the anatomical analogy of legs, torso and head. The Mahler4 office tower challenges this Masterplan further and proposes to create an explicit tactile and emotional experience out of the stacked block structure. Both an innovative composition of shifted volumes and a transformation from a light to heavy materialisation, it creates an expressive landmark which appears different from every angle.

Each of the three sections of the building reveals its own character and material expression and offers space suited to potentially different tenant requirements. Spacious office floors are combined with internal voids to enhance internal connections and spatial quality. Carefully defined lines of vision offer views to the surrounding environment. The overall representative image contributes to the creation of innovative and outstanding office facilities on this location.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 11:03 PM
BANNED

Luxury apartments Mauritskade Amsterdam (NL)

eea-architects

This apartment building, located on a prominent site opposite the Dutch Tropenmuseum, completes the corner of a 19th century city block in Amsterdam.

The client’s objective was to create a new apartment building catering to a contemporary city lifestyle. The site’s triangular shape is reflected in the volume of the building, which houses commercial space and parking entrance on the ground floor and twelve luxury apartments on four upper floors. Each apartment is accessed via a light loggia that provides an orientation space, internally and externally, and avoids long corridors.

Two types of dark natural stone with split-faced and sand blasted surfaces are combined with aluminium coloured metal panels and painted timber window frames to create a highly articulated façade. The floors slightly stagger in plan at the corner, overlapping to create an interesting play of volume and shadow.

A gradation in emphasis across the façades from vertical to horizontal, with predominantly vertical lines at the edges to a more horizontal treatment at the curved corner, responds both to the adjoining 19th century buildings and to the desire for panoramic views at the corner. In this way, the contemporary intervention pays respect to the existing, whilst also creating a new kind of interior space and identity for the site.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 11:06 PM
BANNED

Russian Avant-garde residential complex Moscow (RU)

eea-architects

The new Russian Avant-garde residential complex in Moscow consists of five towers each of which refers to a different Russian artist of the Avant-Garde movement of the early 20th century; Kandinsky, Rodchenko, Popova, Exter and Malevich. This reference expresses the strong individuality of each building and though diverse in appearance creates a harmonious ensemble.

In the Rodchenko tower for example, a layering of continuous glass skins generates a transparent depth that represents the artist’s intended fluidity of space in the paintings. The Malevich tower uses subtlety in the detailing to create an intriguing yet homogenous façade design. Through the discovery of the detail and the gradual alterations in materialisation and transparency, the beauty of the building is revealed. The ‘Salome’ costume design by Alxandra Exter informs the concept of ‘folding’. The diverging pleats in the façade and the distortion in the volume of the building generate a dynamic architecture that appears to move when viewed from different angles. When viewed from within the apartments the changing perspectives continuously transform the views of the city.

In a similar way to the artist’s working method the design of Popova’s tower utilises a series of tools to represent the ambiguity between space and depth creating a three dimensional form composed of two dimensional objects. The proposed façade design for the Kandinsky tower utilises a similar method by taking the details of a two dimensional painting into a three dimensional building volume. This architectural interpretation of the spatiality and depth in Kandinsky’s painting creates a building design composed of several layers. In this way the different elements of the façade contribute to the unique quality of the interior of the individual apartments.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 11:11 PM
BANNED

Housing Kroyers Plads Copenhagen (DK)

eea-architects

The housing development Kroyers Plads is located along the harbour of Copenhagen. The rich, almost fairytale-like atmosphere of the Danish capital inspired the competition design. The intimate and peaceful narrow streets, the cobblestone squares, dark brown roofs and traditional materials with intensive colours all suggest that anything (and everything) is possible.

The proposed buildings are strongly influenced by the contextual tradition of pitch-roofed buildings. Stretching, twisting and distorting them in three dimensions creates new shapes that free the imagination. The towers are rotated and the apartments are fully glazed In order to maximise the views towards the sea and the harbour. The towers are wrapped in a cladding system formed out of louvers and grilles, which provide sun and visual protection. The materials used to make references to the earth: copper red, terracotta and natural slate contrast with the glitter of stainless steel.

The ensemble, with its random open and closed surfaces, creates an interesting contrast between the infinite view of the sea and the closed volumes of the adjacent towers. Positioned on a tilted platform, the buildings have more exposure from the seaside viewpoint. The tilted platform is an undulating, in-situ reinforced concrete slab that forms an artificial landscape. Retail functions are situated below this platform and a public café-restaurant with fully glazed façade offers a charming view. A proposed feature is that the small bay to the south east of the site be utilised as a marina for the inhabitants, making it an even more attractive residential and leisure environment within the city.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 5:11 AM

When I look at what you put up, I see shit, more shit, and even more shit. Fuck, I'm gonna need waders if you keep this up.

Although, there are a few gems here and there... but hell, anything with 15 different colors and some fucked up shapes would probably get critical acclaim from you.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 8:12 AM

^Agreed.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 5:21 PM
BANNED

HEY! They stole our flamingo from the Federal Center!!!

GIVE BACK OUR SCULPTURE!!!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 12:28 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 12:32 AM
BANNED

Last edited by Tom Servo; Apr 20, 2008 at 9:29 AM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 6:58 PM
BANNED

SIGNAL TOWER, FRANCE, PARIS, 2008
three mixed use towers connected by a central spiral
OMA / Rem Koolhaas and Floris Alkemade

Ambition
Post-war Paris is torn between its need, as the nation’s capital, to represent its modernity versus its preservation instinct.

The construction of the business district of La Défense will begin with the creation of a virgin surface of any new urbanization: the concentration of critical mass on the outskirts of the city (Paris), whilst protecting the historic centre.

Observation
Throughout its history, the slab that is La Défense has undergone many changes not controlled as a whole. The physical boundaries of this slab dissolved in the local circumstances of the site, its fringes a substratum with a multitude of solutions and local authorities, have gradually fragmented.
The result is the abrupt juxtaposition of the heavy infrastructure needed to support the business district with the urban fabric of the suburbs of Paris creating a modernization scrap.

Integration
The urban oppositional logics implemented in the selected site have fragmented the space in built areas that are surrounded by non-permeable infrastructural borders.

The brief by l'Etablissement Public d'Aménagement de La Défense (EPAD) to make its previously impenetrable limits accessible, to organize the site into urban space in a hierarchy of a succession of lines and squares, highlighted the need to consider and qualify an area of fringe, an outcome which previously had not been the subject of the project.

By adding a critical mass of public programs organized as a network, closely connected to the existing program, Signal project seeks to consolidate the immediate vicinity and access to the slab as an audience.

In the growing competition among Europe's financial centers, La Défense can differentiate itself by changing its logical communication. From a vertical reference, the clarity and quality of the limit of its greatest asset and its greatest potential: the horizontal support of the deck can be highlighted.
The position and nature of the adaptation of a project to its site profoundly influences the surrounding environment. The OMA Signal Project is working to this challenge by establishing a horizontal and multifunctional base that simultaneously expands the existing slab, reconsiders the status of South Gate, and most importantly creates a connection between all elements of its environment.

Typology
The partitioning and the autarky of the tower program are challenged by the connection with the public areas of the various programs. Following a vertical and discontinuous logic between the lobby and skylobby, the building network creates horizontal and urban complex conditions. The public space diluted within La Defense is here condensed into a base.

Synergy
The three towers emerge from part of a joint program initiated in the spiral, the primary function of which is to create a dynamic communication between different programs in the network. It is the anchor point and stronghold of the mix, a space of sharing and communication between the various entities.

The spaces of the spiral are not static but always in movement, ready to accommodate new uses, in order to create new connections drawing on the existing energies.

Facade
One of the most innovative aspects of the Signal Project is its original design of the facade and internal energy systems. Every piece aims for maximum optimization of energy by the use of passive systems using natural light and air force as natural sources of energy. The project also uses the principle of reuse & recycling to minimize the energy required for the functioning of the whole. The result is a significant saving of 40-45% on the average energy consumption.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 7:40 PM
All aboard the Failboat

Giant cheese grater

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 9:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
PLOT ARCHITECTS//REN

http://www.big.dk/

This open sponge building is wooooooonderful...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 1:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrightguy0 View Post
Giant cheese grater
wow...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 1:25 AM

Concrete is very appealing all of a sudden.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 1:29 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Yes, that Peoples Building is wonderful. I didn't get it at first but then I watched the video. Very... I don't even know. I love it.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 1:39 AM

This , however, is decidedly unappealing. Until I see the floor plans of these apartments, I am going to contend that these buildings are aiming for avant garde in the most superficial of ways (they are composed of a bunch of random shapes and colors, but they still retain the basic high-rise archetype [at least from what I can see, more detailed plans could very well change my mind]), but they are falling very short. I know you didn't make any claims about them being avant garde or not; I'm just going off the name.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 2:34 AM
low life in a tall place

Thanks Adrian for putting the effort into this. Some great stuff in this thread.

Kröyers Plads is regarded as one of the greatest architectural losses that never happened in Copenhagen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture