HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 3:55 AM
Closed account

Wow, a serious project. Looks great. That's quite the procedure to drop the staircase in.

That is a second to none view from the patio: I can't wait to see it in the flesh!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 9:48 AM
Hammer'd

I had no clue that they ripped up the top floor so much. Raises my faith in the quality of this project.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 1:33 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
London Taps looks 100 times better tonight than it did a week ago. I'm really impressed with these guys. Can't wait for it to open.
I totally agree. I look at it EVERY day while waiting for my bus, and it looks 100X better with the letters up & the dark painted windows.

speaking of signage, it looks like there's electrical behind the letters. I hope it has LED shadow lights behind it. It'll make it look so dramatic! Can't wait for this place to finally open! I'm kinda glad they waited til spring, especially after THIS winter... it only makes sense for the rooftop!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 1:35 PM
Closed account

the interior looks like such a great place to chill. that rooftop will be boss.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 8:30 PM
Closed account

I regret to inform you all that they are prepping the lower 1/3 of this building for a stucco treatment

It'll be done w/in the next few days

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 8:53 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

That is really not a good idea on their behalf. Salt and road effluence sprayed on the building from Main Street will eat away at it extremely fast. If anyone is in contact with them perhaps suggest some type of concrete paver or stone.

If anything the top 2/3 would need to be stucco. This is of course if they care about their building's longevity.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 8:58 PM
Closed account

ok, well it may not be stucco... they've layed wire meshing along the walls... but why would they put stonework (or composite stone) on an already-stone building?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 9:57 PM
Closed account

for pete's sake.....

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 11:24 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
ok, well it may not be stucco... they've layed wire meshing along the walls... but why would they put stonework (or composite stone) on an already-stone building?
I haven't the slightest clue why someone would pervert a building in this way. I did not realize it was stone.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 12:26 AM

They've been doing some sort of prep work around the doors and windows of the first floor for the last few weeks, framing out plywood for some sort of finish work, and pressure spraying the black paint off the top of the first-floor stone. I saw that they were putting mesh up on the plywood yesterday. Hopefully they're aren't foolish enough to stucco the entire first floor. That would just be crazy, and would really cheapen the look of the building. I think I might walk over there tomorrow morning from Timmie's and see if I can find someone to ask.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 3:16 AM
Closed account

criminal. it really should be illegal to stucco an historic building like that.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 12:47 PM

There was no one out there working when I was down for my morning XL, but visually it definitely looks like they won't be maintaining the ground floor as it is. The ghost sign on the south side of the building is gone. I was informed by my wife this morning though that she didn't think the building was stone, but concrete block. They obviously aren't going to be doing the entire building, or they wouldn't have put up the signage yet. They capped the building with the yellowed colour for the rooftop patio; either their going to do the ground floor with that, or something more subtle.

I'm back into wait and see mode.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 1:40 PM
Closed account

^^ There was writing on the exterior walls before the mesh wiring was put up indicating shades of colour. I believe the front (facing John) will be a dark coloured sutcco as per the 'dark' written all over this wall.

It wasn't any further ahead this AM as I waited for my B-Line... but that was 6:45am! We'll see when I get home from work, I'll update the second I walk thru the door! haha

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 1:43 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post
I was informed by my wife this morning though that she didn't think the building was stone, but concrete block.
ummmmm, it's limestone and it was built in the 1850s. trust me on this one.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 2:08 PM

Trust the dude, it's absolutely definitely limestone, one of the remnants of Hamilton's pre-Confederation stone heritage.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 2:08 PM

That's what I thought. But she's usually right (or so she tells me), so I gave here the benefit of the doubt.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 1:19 PM
Closed account

So the 'prep' layer of stucco has been spread across the south wall
But by the looks of it, only the areas around the doors facing John will be stuccoed... we'll wait and see.

I did notice this morning that the spaces between the rooftop structure has been filled with glass panelling. Looks pretty decent.

from TheDude earlier in this same thread

Last edited by DC83; Apr 16, 2008 at 1:21 PM. Reason: added photo

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 1:48 PM

They've also put metal bars criss-crossing the roof-top patio, presumably for seagul wire?

They've got to be on a bit of a run to get completed now. Patio weather will be on us soon, and I'd imagine they'll want to miss out on as little of it as possible. Someone who posted in the thread earlier seemed to be in-the-know. I was hoping he'd pop back and give us an ETA.

I don't know if it's been posted in this thread, but here's the breakdown on the different parts of LTH:

"Barrister's Den"- A relaxing casual setting suited for great conversation, delicious eats/drinks and a challenging game of chess 11AM-2AM [basement?].

"The Lounge" - Your gateway to an exciting evening of dancing, laughing, and enjoyment. 7PM-2AM

"Dancing Room" - A truly fabulous dancing experience. 7PM-2AM

"Restaurant" - Delicious menu selections in a relaxed setting - the perfect spot to meet, eat and laugh with friends. 11AM-2AM

"Roof-Top Patio" 4 stories high with beautiful views of Hamilton... come enjoy a cocktail or two in the sun. 11AM-2AM.

That's a whole lotta bar!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 2:45 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post
They've also put metal bars criss-crossing the roof-top patio, presumably for seagul wire?
Most likely some sort of tarp? The back half of the roof doesn't have it, so it would be open to air for smokers (blah). It would be silly to have a rooftop bar w/o any sort of protection from the elements.

The windows behind the the ghetto, brown metal sheets are actually really nice... panneled, wood frames. When the place is open open, I'm sure those security screens wont be pulled down nearly as much.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 10:51 AM

Come to think of it, I beleive the building is sandstone actually, not limestone. But either way it's stone. Most below escarpment structures are made of sandstone, and above escarpment is limestone.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation