HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 12:08 AM

That's four hotel projects within about a 5 block area in that part of DT, between PSU and the retail district. Very cool!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 12:14 AM

I love all the infill but part of me would like to combine them into two 40+story projects...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 12:30 AM
A before E

It isn't infinite pool cool, but a decent tower to go up on that site. And of course it has a hotel in it. Gotta get while the getting is hot.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 12:50 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Wow, and whoa.

The sudden boom in hotels is crazy. I know we're lacking rooms today, but holy moly, overbuilding can't be healthy for the local hotel industry.

This looks... interesting. Maybe even great? I realize it's probably a very early design, but I'll be glad to see it get built - especially on this lot!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 1:19 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
.... I'm sure it'll be more than 8 stories, but probably not much more than 20, similar in scale to ZGF/Indigo. Guess we'll have to wait and see what they actually propose.
Called it!

So far, it looks like a pretty solid proposal. And they want to break ground in April, which means they'll need to be submitting for permits ASAP. I'm not surprised that they've "already heard from several large prospective tenants who are interested in leasing space" considering vacancy rates are so low.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 1:50 AM

I really liked the rendering in the PBJ today. Just a really nice, solid and slender looking addition. Really like it.

BUILD IT!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
I love all the infill but part of me would like to combine them into two 40+story projects...
This, this, this, this, this, THIS. It's very awesome to see so many new projects, but it's also super frustrating that absolutely none of them have height.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 3:18 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
This, this, this, this, this, THIS. It's very awesome to see so many new projects, but it's also super frustrating that absolutely none of them have height.
True, but the flipside is, seeing these lots finally get developed is going to do more good things for more parts of downtown. I love height, but I'm more excited to see more lots filling in. This project, in particular, is really good news. The lot it'll be built on has been vacant for what... a decade? And how long has the lot at 3rd & Taylor been vacant? These may not be very tall, but they're going to be great for downtown.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
True, but the flipside is, seeing these lots finally get developed is going to do more good things for more parts of downtown. I love height, but I'm more excited to see more lots filling in. This project, in particular, is really good news. The lot it'll be built on has been vacant for what... a decade? And how long has the lot at 3rd & Taylor been vacant? These may not be very tall, but they're going to be great for downtown.
Totally agree.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 5:11 AM

Yeah I'm especially excited about the 3rd Ave projects, that is kind of where the retail activity dies off. This will bring some life.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 6:45 AM

This part of downtown really needs a building like this to breathe new life into it. I'm hoping something equally substantial goes in where the post office used to be.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 8:10 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I totally agree with you here, two 20 story buildings are gonna do more for downtown than one 40 story building would. Usually when they go above the 20 stories, they begin to feel more like isolated towers than being a part of the urban fabric.

When it comes to skylines, I am more excited about the future of the central eastside's skyline and the future changes coming to the Lloyd District skyline. The beauty of Portland, unlike most medium cities, is we don't just have the one skyline in the CBD, we have a number of them surrounding the river and they all are growing.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 2:55 PM

How does this work with the park blocks? Is it a slap on the east facing or does it build not he quarter block parking lot facing the park blocks?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 3:59 PM

The PBJ article states the hotel will occupy the first 7 floors and the office will be above it. My guess is that the building has an L shaped plan at the hotel floors, with hotel rooms facing onto the Park Blocks. It could then become a bar above that at the office floors. That would also fit with how the 20 story building could be 448,000 sq ft on a 30,000 sq ft site (~ 7 floors x 30,000 sq + 13 floors x 18,000 sq ft).

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
The PBJ article states the hotel will occupy the first 7 floors and the office will be above it. My guess is that the building has an L shaped plan at the hotel floors, with hotel rooms facing onto the Park Blocks. It could then become a bar above that at the office floors.
I believe this project does not include the quarter block on the park blocks.

Residential is the only use allowed on the park blocks. It is my understanding that you can do commercial, but it needs to be a percentage (20% max) earned with residential.

And, no hotel does not count as residential, unless they could make a strong case for "extended" stay.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 4:10 PM

I assumed the Park Blocks site was included because the Downtown neighborhood Association posted something to facebook saying that the developers would be looking for a zone change for that portion of the site.

Single use zoning in Downtown is dumb.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 5:05 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malix View Post
I believe this project does not include the quarter block on the park blocks.

Residential is the only use allowed on the park blocks. It is my understanding that you can do commercial, but it needs to be a percentage (20% max) earned with residential.

And, no hotel does not count as residential, unless they could make a strong case for "extended" stay.
I think mac was right. To get 448,000sf in 20 floors, you would need to use all 3 quarters of the block. His calculations sound like the most likely option, so I'm guessing they're going for a zone change on the park blocks. And frankly, I don't see a problem with having a 7 story hotel facing the park. Some of the trees there are taller than that.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 5:14 PM

Based on Malix's previous posts he/she is likely to know more about the project than I do. I was just guessing. If they really intend to break ground next year we'll be seeing Design Advice drawings soon anyway. It hasn't made it onto the Design Commission agenda yet, but a first hearing in late October / early November seems realistic.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 7:31 PM
Karma Police

I'm not doubting Malix's expertise, but the math doesn't work out. Even assuming a full 20,000 sf/floor for 20 floors (with no setbacks) on the eastern half of the block, that's only 400,000sf. They MUST be using that third quarter block to make up the 48,000sf difference. A variance or a zone change seems entirely likely.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 7:54 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Surely, they're not going to leave the 1/4 block that's facing the park blocks remain a parking lot. It's crazy to think it's fine to have a surface parking lot facing the park blocks, but not a hotel.

Is this building going to be L shaped or is it going to be a rectangle?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland