HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:35 PM

Definitive List of Winnipeg Neighbourhoods and Boundaries

Hi folks,

I've been trying to do some housecleaning on my blog in terms of geographic neighbourhoods (actually, it's been an on-going process for around three years). It's difficult, though, because it's so difficult to find definitive on-line maps that outline both of the following:

• Specific neighbourhood boundaries such as William Whyte, Minto, Spence, etc. There is one good resource for this: The police crime statistics map, but it's clunky and difficult to use.

• More generalized regions such as The North End, The West End, North Kildonan, East Kildonan, West Kildonan, Transcona, Saint Boniface, Etc. I've seen different boundaries listed for some of these regions. Seems more of a subjective thing than it really should be.

And on this latter point, as far as the North End goes, would you guys consider Luxton and Point Douglas to be a part of it? My definition of the North end is the CPR tracks to the south, McPhillips to the west, Main St. to the east and Matheson to the north. But I've been told I'm wrong. Thoughts?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Bryan

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:39 PM

I have been doing the same thing. Go to google and type in the neighbourhood names They will come up.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:41 PM

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:42 PM

I asked this a while ago on this forum, the North End does not include North Point Douglas

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I have been doing the same thing. Go to google and type in the neighbourhood names They will come up.
Neat. Do you have a public map that shows all of the neighbourhoods? What about the larger regions (north end, etc.)?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I asked this a while ago on this forum, the North End does not include North Point Douglas
What about Luxton and St. John's Park?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:46 PM

I have been trying to bring it up, I started to create one on google, but have been really busy. The problem is that I don't know how to display public maps from google to everyone, if you could tell me how, I could show you what I have so far. So far it hasn't been much, but we pretty much are trying to do the same thing. I started creating it so I could list all recorded acts of violence. It has been a thesis of mine that Winnipeg is not a dangerous city as much as a safe city with some troubled neighbourhoods, and this map was intended to prove that theory.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:47 PM

St. Johns is considered part of the North End, however Luxton is not.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:51 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

get ahold of the city they do have public maps u can aquire

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
I have been trying to bring it up, I started to create one on google, but have been really busy. The problem is that I don't know how to display public maps from google to everyone, if you could tell me how, I could show you what I have so far. So far it hasn't been much, but we pretty much are trying to do the same thing. I started creating it so I could list all recorded acts of violence. It has been a thesis of mine that Winnipeg is not a dangerous city as much as a safe city with some troubled neighbourhoods, and this map was intended to prove that theory.
If you click the "link" button beside "Get Directions" and "My Places" it will allow you to cut and paste the link. Here's mine, but I should warn that it's VERY messy. Unfortunately Google only allows a certain amount of objects per page, so the 'hoods are scattered over three pages. Googlemaps kind of sucks.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=2...9460eb74&msa=0

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:55 PM
surely you agree with me

the border of east kildonan and north kildonan along henderson depends on which side of it you live on, in my experience.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
the border of east kildonan and north kildonan along henderson depends on which side of it you live on, in my experience.
That's the thing! It's so subjective.

What an abnormal city we live in.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 11:48 PM

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=2...62336,0.154324

This is mine. You have a lot more done and a lot more organized. Mine is the entire North End for you though. It is accurate. The thing with These names is that they have no definitive borders. Places like William Whyte do. But that is because these are actual neighbourhoods. Point Douglas can be considered a community, or region, but places like the North End do not seem to be so much as established as they are just common Knowledge. For example the North End is considered by a lot of people any place that is considered "more dangerous" by common society. My dad, being the ignorant fellow he is thinks that the West End is also the North End, because it is more dangerous than where he lives.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 11:50 PM

The only comparison that I can come up with is ironically South Central Los Angeles (Which is no longer the name of it as they wanted to change the way people saw the area) which is not actually a neighbourhood or a region, but is used to describe or define a cluster of specific neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 12:19 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

My argument regarding the neighbourhood boundaries of the North End was that the North End on the northern part, ends along Inkster Blvd. Others believe it continues on up to Leila, which I don't think is true, since there is Seven Oaks, which lies North of Inkster, and east of the CPR line, west of the Red River, and south of Partridge/Leila. Then you have Garden City, which is west of the CPR line, north of Inkster, east from McPhillips, and South of Leila. All of that of what is part of West Kildonan.

Then you got Old Kildonan... in which I think the Maples is involved with it. We got to do some research.

Then again, I'm not sure how or where St. John's starts or ends within the North End, or the Scotia neighbourhood east of Main Street, or even Point Douglas.

Clearly, there needs to be a system to "map out" the neighbourhoods within the divisional boundaries of the Kildonans, North End, West End, Charleswood, etc. I hope this topic clarifies that.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 12:22 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanscott View Post
That's the thing! It's so subjective.

What an abnormal city we live in.
At least you name neighbourhoods. About 60% of Thunder Bay's urban area has no common neighbourhood name. Typically, we just say "the *whatever the nearest landmark is* area". And that can change depending on a person's experiences with an area. I grew up in the Walkover Street area, but most people call it the County Fair area. The media refers to it as Dawson Heights because a strip mall is called that, but there is actually a city-designated area a mile away called Dawson Heights, which is being developed under the name Gemstone Estates, but everyone calls it Silvertree. See? It makes no god damned sense.

Neighbourhoods are fluid and subjective, there is no such thing as a definitive map of neighbourhoods. A city can subdivide itself into many small parts and give those areas names, like Saskatoon has, and like Thunder Bay has done with wards, but people don't seem to use those names very often, so can you really call them neighbourhoods? Instead of clearly delineating them, if you're mapping them, just stick the name near the centre of the general area that it is associated to, and leave it at that. Neighbourhoods overlap. The neighbourhood I live in is called "Simpson", "Ogden" and "the East End". (According to a local community group, we're called "Evergreen".) What this area is called (and how much of the city is part of the East End) depends on who you ask. You can't draw a line to mark that. The city calls it "Fort William Neighbourhood" but to most people, that refers to an entire half of the city. (And part of what is commonly called Fort William today was legally in Port Arthur prior to our amalgamation.)

Winnipeg isn't abnormal at all. This is common in all cities. Even in New York. SoHo wanders around in the area between downtown and Hudson, slowly rocking back and forth between Tribeca and Little Italy. If its boundaries were clearly defined in 1980, they'd be all wrong now.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
My argument regarding the neighbourhood boundaries of the North End was that the North End on the northern part, ends along Inkster Blvd. Others believe it continues on up to Leila, which I don't think is true, since there is Seven Oaks, which lies North of Inkster, and east of the CPR line, west of the Red River, and south of Partridge/Leila. Then you have Garden City, which is west of the CPR line, north of Inkster, east from McPhillips, and South of Leila. All of that of what is part of West Kildonan.

Then you got Old Kildonan... in which I think the Maples is involved with it. We got to do some research.

Then again, I'm not sure how or where St. John's starts or ends within the North End, or the Scotia neighbourhood east of Main Street, or even Point Douglas.

Clearly, there needs to be a system to "map out" the neighbourhoods within the divisional boundaries of the Kildonans, North End, West End, Charleswood, etc. I hope this topic clarifies that.
Agree with the north end ending at inkster. North you have garden city and west kildonan.

Not quite sure where you'd put old kildonan. West of mcphillips you get maples, further west is considered Mandalay west. Not sure if amber trails is a neighborhood or just a subdivision. Ditto for seven oaks crossing.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 1:52 AM

The Sherlock Maps have always been good at distinguishing the boundaries between areas (St. Boniface, North Kildonan, etc.), as well as neighbourhoods (William Whyte, Point Douglas).

According to those maps, the northern boundary of the North End is either Carruthers, or on the property line between Landsdowne and Carruthers...

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 2:19 AM

It should be agreed upon that the boundaries of a distinct community (North End) should be the same as the boundaries of the neighbourhoods that lie within it. If you look at my map provided you can see that I have coloured the North End neighbourhoods as blue. These are all distinctly North End Neighbourhoods. As the majority of each neighbourhood lie within the so called border of the North End. This reason is why I believe St. Johns should be considered a North End Community.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 2:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
get ahold of the city they do have public maps u can aquire

My grandfather was a civil engineer and used to have maps of Winnipeg from the late 40's right up until the late 80's. I'm not going to bother with sub-divisions like Luxton, William Whyte, etc., since they are relatively hard to find and not every Winnipegger is familiar with the name.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan