HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 1:29 AM
It's Hammer Time

Core Entertainment Updates

Figured I make a thread for all events related to HECFI, such as upcoming concerts for Copps, events Convention Centre, or renovations.

HECFI puts 2 million dollars into buildings

Ken Mann
5/6/2008

Hamilton's city-owned entertainment venues are getting some upgrades.

HECFI announcing plans to spend two million dollars on capital improvements this year.

They will include a new sound reinforcement system and three thousand replacement seats at Copps Coliseum.

The studio at Hamilton Place has received a premium sound system. A partial replacement of the facility's main roof is also in the plans.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 2:03 AM
On Guard For Thee

What is the status of the seating at Copps...I seem to recall a plan to get rid of the Indian-corn colors once and for all.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
What is the status of the seating at Copps...I seem to recall a plan to get rid of the Indian-corn colors once and for all.
I like the Indian-corn colours. You can almost always identify them on TV... the only other place that I have seen with a similar colour scheme is the Omni in Atlanta and perhaps the Philips Arena in the same city.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 3:22 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
I like the Indian-corn colours. You can almost always identify them on TV... the only other place that I have seen with a similar colour scheme is the Omni in Atlanta and perhaps the Philips Arena in the same city.
amen brother...I agree with you 100%.
Generic blue is boring and just like every other arena.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
amen brother...I agree with you 100%.
Generic blue is boring and just like every other arena.
I hate the generic blue as well... plus the new blue seats seem pretty cheap.

Something must be wrong with my opinion if it matches yours. I will have to re-think this whole thing.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 8:00 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:
I hate the generic blue as well... plus the new blue seats seem pretty cheap.

Something must be wrong with my opinion if it matches yours. I will have to re-think this whole thing.
You guys are scaring me.

Anyway I'm not a fan of the silly colors to be honest, but I don't really care that much. I suppose it gives the place a unique identity which is a good thing for any Hamilton establishment.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 3:04 PM

Quote:
If I remember right, I think the reason they said they used multi colours when it was built was that if an event didn't sell out a lot of seats, it wouldn't be as noticeable how many empty seats there were. I guess their logic was a sea of one colour was much more obvious or something like that.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Native View Post
If I remember right, I think the reason they said they used multi colours when it was built was that if an event didn't sell out a lot of seats, it wouldn't be as noticeable how many empty seats there were. I guess their logic was a sea of one colour was much more obvious or something like that.
Seems like a typical Hamilton approach.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoote View Post
Seems like a typical Hamilton approach.
I can think of one example they probably had in mind. Our hockey team(s). At the time I believe it was the Steelhawks. All the other teams in the league were (and still) playing in smaller arenas. I think at the most they sold about 7,000 seats. So in an arena holding almost 18,000 you can imagine how empty the place would have still looked. Of course eventually they just closed off the upper deck of seats.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 2:07 AM
It's Hammer Time

Whenever HECFI gets money they've been replacing the seats, another 3,000 will be replaced this year. Think this year at least all (or a big majority) the lower bowl will have the seats replaced. It'll probably take 2 to 3 years to completely replace all seats at Copps.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 3:34 AM
Closed account

Lol...I agree (oops, I did it again).
You should stick with the blue.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 4:36 AM
On Guard For Thee

Rest assured I prefer the blue. Did OMNI have the seats? I know the Met Center in Bloomington did--the Stars left town and it was blown up to make room for Mall of America to expand.

The blue seats in Copps are a fair compromise--after all, The Great Hall has kept it's 70s orange, has it not? I remember a plan awhile back to go with a deep red for Hamilton Place--they had a tough time coming up with anything that would work in the space because it is all 70s earth tones. Garwood-Jones did incredible work back then--Hamilton Place is still a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned--the lobby spaces are incredible. The brutalist exterior and subterranian entrance don't please everyone--but the inside is stunning. Although I was too young to notice details--I know Copps was completed on the cheap with plans to 'finish' it once a franchise was secured--have always thought the building suffered as a result.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 6:01 AM

quite a number of the Copps seats were replaced months ago.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
Rest assured I prefer the blue. Did OMNI have the seats? I know the Met Center in Bloomington did--the Stars left town and it was blown up to make room for Mall of America to expand.
The Omni's seat colours were/are very similar to those of Copps. The Met Center was blue, green, white, or something like that, so you couldn't quite call it "Indian corn."

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 1:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

Since Gillespie has taken over he's done a great job. Even got the Bulldogs a nice modern locker room at Copps too. Two thumbs up for Gillespie.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 8:18 PM
On Guard For Thee

Yes...as mentioned by myself and others the colors were not unique to Copps--there were a few rinks of similar vintage (actually older) that employed the same arrangement--and indeed it was to make empty seats appear less obvious--particularly during televised events. Of the few that existed Copps was likely the last one built with those seat colors.

Good article in the Globe&Mail today about the movement to replace/rebuild facilities in the CFL--the Tiger-Cats are a major component of the article--along with Winnipeg, Montreal and Ottawa.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 4:35 AM
On Guard For Thee

Good recollection BC--I suppose OMNI's color-scheme complimented the Hawks, and the Flames to an extent--as Met Center's somewhat complemented the North Stars. The Met lived from 67 to 94, and the OMNI from 72-97. No idea if the seats were original in either venue--but Copps didn't come along until 15 years after OMNI.

Spot on on the Steelhawks also--during the Bill LaForge era they sold well--on the odd occassion selling seats in the upper level. Saw some great fights as a kid--including the infamous Steelhawks-Wolves brawl which unfolded pre-grame right in front of our seats in Section 121...'87 or so I'd guess. Great era in the OHL--remember seeing Shanahan when he played for the dreaded Knights.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 8:30 PM

HECFI is going to be making an announcement on Monday about a major concert date to be set for Copps Coliseum. All very hush-hush, so the speculation is wild right now. Any predictions?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 9:04 PM

Dylan, Coldplay, Radiohead, John Mayer, Foo Fighters, um... NKOTB

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 6:37 PM

More Pollstar love: Hamilton Place was tops in the country for Q1 2009!

HAMILTON PLACE THEATRE RANKED WITHIN THE TOP 50 WORLDWIDE

(HAMILTON, April 20, 2009) – Hamilton Place has once again been ranked among the top 50 theatre venues in the world and number one in Canada according to a leading industry publication. Pollstar has posted first quarter ticket sales for tickets sold worldwide between January 1 and March 31, 2009. This is the second consecutive year that Hamilton Place Theatre breaks the top 100 high profile entertainment theatre venues globally.

Hamilton Place has hosted numerous high-profile acts this year such as Bill Cosby, Diana Krall, Johnny Reid, Trailer Park Boys and the new Broadway at Hamilton Place Series featuring stellar shows such as Cirque Dreams, Hairspray and Annie among others. Over 21,000 patrons have passed through Hamilton Place in the past three months. This represents an increasing trend at Hamilton Place, which has seen an average increase of 25% per year in the number of attendees.

HECFI CEO Duncan Gillespie said, “It is an honour to be recognized as one of the top 50 theatres in the world and especially gratifying to achieve the Number One ranking in Canada. Hamilton Place has become a central hub for entertainment in Southwestern Ontario as we see more patrons are choosing to come to Hamilton than ever before. Our team will continue to work hard to bring the very best entertainment to our patrons and we look forward to what will be an exciting year.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation