HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 4:02 AM

Broadway Palace has a blade sign.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 8:10 AM

I moved to HB in July, and I'm always in LA for shooting or really just because I love it. I've been following all the development the past year or so, and it's impressive. Downtown LA is seriously booming. And I'm loving watching everything rise. I was watching Her, the film where Joaquin Phoenix dates artificial intelligence, and in seeing the LA skyline in that, I realized it's more than just a pipe dream. That someday, especially with the insane development that's really just beginning, and advancements in public transportation, that LA's skyline could really spread out. Obviously, I'm dreaming a bit here, but when development begins to connect the arts district to the center of downtown, and eventually even Century City, it will be incredible. Excited to see how different LA will be... even a decade from now.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 11:47 AM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
Why isn't Bunker Hill getting no love? I like the Angels Knolls idea, but can we do something about the LA Hotel, Promenade Towers, Bunker Hill Towers, and World Trade Center? We need 30-50 stories in that area.
The Bunker Hill Towers just completed a renovation so they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 3:12 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Neo Art Deco & Neo Gothic are better than the boxes that characterizes most modern architecture. The Seagrams and Lever House were fine but in the 1950s through the 1970s almost every building was a knockoff of these Mies curtain wall boxes. Functional, but boring repetition. Who doesn't love spires on tall buildings and even some gargoyles in moderation? Architecture can be fun and playful, and an homage to the past as well as a search for new styles. "Post modern", although flawed and eclectic and sometimes a mish mash of styles, at least broke out of the box mentality. The 150 foot height limit L.A. had until the late 1950s deprived it of some tall skyscrapers that would have become classics. Even in the 1920s, L.A. without a 150' limit would probably have had several 25+ story Art Decos and gothics. We thankfully do have 454' City Hall (exempted from the limit) a Mayan pyramid revival and good because it is not a box. Most people around the world could recognize it as an L.A. building. Aliens blasted it in the original "War of the Worlds" film in 1953, and it was Clark Kent's "Daily Planet" in the T.V. series. Capitol Records too--Hollywood. Our boxy skyscrapers? Few could place them in L.A. We do have some stubby examples that somehow evaded the 150' limit a bit, like the Eastern Columbia with a clock tower, a bit over 200' and the old Texaco Building, about the same height. The demolished Richfield tower went even higher, 380' with the "oil derrick" spire. Spires add interest. Boxes are boring. Repeal of the helicopter landing pad law was a permission slip for spires, and that will add interest to the skyline. Like I've said before, a 900-1100' neo Richfield building somewhere in DTLA would be magnificent. Facing a refurbished Pershing Square, perfect.
I live in Chicago where Meis made his mark. Trust and believe that his philosophy of less is more is needed in this world of tacky gaudy crap. The devil is in the details.

Take the Federal Center for example. 3 buildings. Tall, wide, and flat.

http://benbansal.me/wp-content/uploa...ago_mies01.jpg

Might not look like much to the average eye but when you look closely, you'll see that everything lines up perfectly. It's hard to see but the lines on the floor of the plaza line up perfectly with the lines of the post office.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6157/6...80c8b7a2_b.jpg

Same with the Aon Center (one of my favorite buildings on earth). Might not look like much from far away...

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5...6-02%20263.jpg

...but close up, the details shine.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
It will be truly amazing but I live in South Park and feel somewhat detached to what's going on there. Since I have to uber to get there, it's like every other part of LA to me. That will be different if they get more directly connected to me by public transportation like ktown is.
Take Metro Bike Share! It's a great way to get around DTLA and has several stations located throughout the Arts District: Traction, Rose, Santa Fe, Mateo, Industrial, Factory, by URTH Cafe, etc

You can walk up and buy a one time pass at the station, or you can visit the website or app for a $20 monthly pass that provides users with unlimited 30 minute rides metro.net/bikeshare

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastSupertall View Post
More activation of that corner! Great! Although I'm still boycotting them
Yeah me too.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
I live in Chicago where Meis made his mark. Trust and believe that his philosophy of less is more is needed in this world of tacky gaudy crap. The devil is in the details.

Take the Federal Center for example. 3 buildings. Tall, wide, and flat.

http://benbansal.me/wp-content/uploa...ago_mies01.jpg

Might not look like much to the average eye but when you look closely, you'll see that everything lines up perfectly. It's hard to see but the lines on the floor of the plaza line up perfectly with the lines of the post office.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6157/6...80c8b7a2_b.jpg

Same with the Aon Center (one of my favorite buildings on earth). Might not look like much from far away...

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5...6-02%20263.jpg

...but close up, the details shine.
Aon tower? Really? One of the ugliest, most Orwellian buildings in Chicago in my opinion. The L.A. Aon (originally UCB) is ugly too. We agree to disagree on this point. Cheers.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
It actually looks like it will be one of those eye catching bldgs that will always draw in the visitor. I think it's the best of the 3 that the architect has come up with for Lucas's museum....I didn't like the one designed for chicago & the one for treasure island looks too bulky.

the collection would complement the one being built at wilshire & fairfax by the academy awards ppl. It will work in tandem with the other 3 nearby museums in expo pk. It's a very approachable type of art....not for the super sophisticate but ideal for all those ppl who remember what they grew up with....ppl into the more purely fun side of culture. the lighter side of what goes on out there.....

Video Link

that's why I want to see the one proj break ground more than quite a few others. Not that any other improvement doesn't help lift up all of dt in its own way, but due to the location at 4th & hill being more visible than others....even more than other sites slotted away in corners of south pk or the arts dist.....& so more ppl are more likely to pass by or walk around there than other areas in dt.

ladowntownnews.com
I rather like this building, even if its not neo-Art Deco. Nice and bright. Cheerful looking.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 11:01 PM

Is homeless problem getting better or worse in DTLA?

Anybody have an opinion? More or fewer homeless? Are they moving elsewhere? Are there more shelter beds? Are they a factor in whether you would decide to live or rent in DTLA? I feel sorry for them, and we definitely need some more shelters and affordable housing and restrooms & showers. But where? The NIMBYs don't want them where they live. And zealous building inspectors are cracking down on "substandard" housing. People are being forced out, and gentrification does that too. Will poor artists continue to be able to live in the "Arts District"? Hopefully, the L.A. initiative to build affordable housing will work fast. Hopefully DTLA will remain diverse as it grows, with plenty of housing for all economic groups. Build Build Build. For everybody, not just the rich. More micro-units--very small apartments, less than 400 sq. feet. They have bathrooms w/ a small shower, a tiny kitchen too. Seattle, San Francisco & New York are building lots of micro units. They are in great demand because they are affordable. L.A. needs to build micros as well. Zoning laws need to change to allow micros!

Last edited by CaliNative; Jan 9, 2017 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
I think you shouldn't simplify this possible acquisition. This acquisition would mean one less surface parking lot in LA while continuing to strengthen LA's reputation as a cultural hub.

Sure Lucas' collection isn't the best one out there but adding another museum to LA's collection will only help. Not to mention, Lucas' museum would support Exposition Park as a tourist attraction. I see the Lucas museum not as a destination piece but a complimentary piece considering that people can visit before/after they check the other attractions at Expo park.
LA's reputation as a cultural hub was made a long time ago.

You really have to aim high today to do much to strengthen it, for example the Zumthor building for LACMA or even the permanent home for the Space Shuttle.

But you're right it poses no harm to LA. If LA were a different kind of city, for example one with more Petersen-type museums or art collections it leases, the Lucas Museum would be more of a detraction.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
Broadway Palace has a blade sign.

The bottom floor of this residential building seems to be unfinished, or is that it?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 3:20 AM

^ That blade sign unfortunately has such a dark background, it causes some of the lettering to be almost invisible. I hope they eventually tweak it.

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 6:41 AM

Last edited by cesar90; Jan 10, 2017 at 7:42 AM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Sometimes I wonder, though, Calinative, what the ramifications for not having the height limit would have been. Yeah the towers like Eastern Columbia would probably have been taller, but I think the footprint of the Historic Core, as a whole, would've been smaller.
A few taller buildings (20-35 stories) built in the 1920s would maybe have replaced just a few of the shorter buildings. I doubt the area or "footprint" of DTLA would have shrunk much. It just would have meant a more interesting skyline with some more high points besides City Hall. Of course if more of the buildings had added 10 or 15 stories, it would have shrunk the footprint. More likely it might have meant 5 or 10 buildings above 20 stories by 1929 in the absense of the 150' limit, without much shrinkage of the CBD area. I doubt L.A. would have had a 50+ story like the Terminal Tower in Cleveland. Probably just a smattering of 20+, with maybe a few around 25-30 stories (like San Francisco in the 1920s).

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
...On another note, the online reservation pages for the following hotels are indicating their opening dates: Indigo (March 2), Freehand (April 1) and InterContinental (May 5). That's another 1,450 rooms added to DTLA's inventory.
New online reservation changes indicate some revised hotel opening dates: Freehand (March 15), InterContinental (March 22), and Indigo (April 15).

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
A few taller buildings (20-35 stories) built in the 1920s would maybe have replaced just a few of the shorter buildings. I doubt the area or "footprint" of DTLA would have shrunk much. It just would have meant a more interesting skyline with some more high points besides City Hall. Of course if more of the buildings had added 10 or 15 stories, it would have shrunk the footprint. More likely it might have meant 5 or 10 buildings above 20 stories by 1929 in the absense of the 150' limit, without much shrinkage of the CBD area. I doubt L.A. would have had a 50+ story like the Terminal Tower in Cleveland. Probably just a smattering of 20+, with maybe a few around 25-30 stories (like San Francisco in the 1920s).
I'd like to think LA would've looked similar to Philadelphia from 1935.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 11:14 PM

Congrats LA. Lucas Museum of Narrative Art coming to Exposition Park.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...htmlstory.html

https://www.lamayor.org/statement-ma...-narrative-art

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Los Angeles will be home to George Lucas' $1-billion museum

The Lucas museum proposal for Exposition Park, with the Coliseum in the distance. (Lucas Museum of Narrative Art)

The suspense has been as epic as “Star Wars,” but after months of intense speculation, George Lucas’ Museum of Narrative Art on Tuesday chose Los Angeles as its home over San Francisco.

The filmmaker’s personal collection of fine and popular art, including ephemera related to his “Star Wars” franchise, will fill a futuristic new museum in L.A.’s Exposition Park, which beat out a competing plan on Treasure Island in San Francisco Bay. The rivalry had pitted two cities in the competition not only for Lucas’ collection and the tourism it will bring, but also for the thousands of jobs that backers say it will create.

Lucas has said he will fund the project to the tune of about $1 billion, including building costs, his art and an endowment of at least $400 million.

“It feels like this incredible gift has come home. I always thought Los Angeles was the natural place to spread the vision of George Lucas and Mellody Hobson, to make art and creativity accessible and inspirational to the next generation,” Mayor Eric Garcetti said of the filmmaker and his wife. “It’s a natural place to have this museum in the creative capital of the world and in the geographic center of the city. It’s a banner day for L.A.”

Lucas, 72, has spent about 10 years trying to erect a museum for his art collection, which consists of about 10,000 paintings and illustrations including works by Norman Rockwell, N.C. Wyeth and R. Crumb, along with Hollywood memorabilia from films such as “Star Wars” and “The Ten Commandments.” .

Lucas declined to comment for this article, but he chose L.A. largely because Exposition Park positions the museum to “have the greatest impact on the broader community, fulfilling our goal of inspiring, engaging and educating a broad and diverse visitorship,” the board announcement said.

“Settling on a location proved to be an extremely difficult decision precisely because of the desirability of both sites and cities.”

The board called Exposition Park “a magnet for the region and accessible from all parts of the city.”

“As a museum uniquely focused on narrative art, we look forward to becoming part of a dynamic museum community, surrounded by more than 100 elementary and high schools, one of the country's leading universities as well as three other world-class museums.”

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 11:34 PM

Peter Zumthor may feel the need to rework his plans for LACMA now. The two designs are somewhat superficially similar, at least at the exterior.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
Los Angeles will be home to George Lucas' $1-billion museum
Even though Expo Park was the logical choice, I still can't believe it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations