HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
Rincon Hill tower II is "weeks away" from groundbreaking!

From Socketsite:

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2..._few_week.html
Great news! It'll be nice to finally get ORH some company in the skyline.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 7:21 PM

421 Arguello

Here's a project I've been watching for a while (which I haven't seen any stories about online). It was just an empty lot with the shell of an old building for several years, but construction started some time last year.

Googling indicates that the building used to be "Goss Heating & Sheet Metal". Then, it was approved for 8 condo units back around 2004/2005, and the old building was demolished (except for the facade), but then it remained an empty eyesore for a long time. Here are three shots showing the recent progress:

Google Street View, c. 2010:

July 2011:

May 2012:

(click images to enlarge)

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 9:04 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesweeper View Post
Great news! It'll be nice to finally get ORH some company in the skyline.
Yes, I can't wait and am super excited about this. Here's are some zoomed views of ORH from my place; the first tower obviously needs it's little brother and will look so much more complete when this project if finished!
[IMG]
PICT8780 by viewguysf, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]
PICT8644 - Version 2 by viewguysf, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]
PICT7043 by viewguysf, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 9:13 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Here's a project I've been watching for a while (which I haven't seen any stories about online). It was just an empty lot with the shell of an old building for several years, but construction started some time last year.

Googling indicates that the building used to be "Goss Heating & Sheet Metal". Then, it was approved for 8 condo units back around 2004/2005, and the old building was demolished (except for the facade), but then it remained an empty eyesore for a long time.
Nice to see progress being made minesweeper--where is this?

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 9:49 PM

^It's on Arguello between Geary and Clement.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
^It's on Arguello between Geary and Clement.
That is near my house and I go by it all the time- construction has been painfully slow. There is also a nearby 4 story project that popped up on an empty lot on the south side of California st. between 4th and 5th aves. (vacant lot was always used as a Christmas tree lot). I can not find any information on that one either.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
That is near my house and I go by it all the time- construction has been painfully slow. There is also a nearby 4 story project that popped up on an empty lot on the south side of California st. between 4th and 5th aves. (vacant lot was always used as a Christmas tree lot). I can not find any information on that one either.
I'm guessing that's 4201 California. From what I can tell, it was approved in 2006 for a 4-story, 6-unit mixed-use building with ground floor retail.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 1:09 AM

Quote:
I'm guessing that's 4201 California. From what I can tell, it was approved in 2006 for a 4-story, 6-unit mixed-use building with ground floor retail.
Ground floor retail? What a horrible area for that. The isolated location and sandwiching between Cornwall, California, and 4th ave. creates heavy car and bus traffic and is very unattractive for pedestrians. But, since I live only a block away, I wish it luck and look forward to what may come.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 4:14 PM

I posted this in the Transbay thread as well...Good news.

Quote:
Hines revives people mover for S.F. skyscraper plan
San Francisco Business Times
Date: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 7:16am PDT

Hines has restored plans for a cable-car-like system connecting parts of its proposed 60-story building in San Francisco, the Chronicle reports.
The system, which would attract people to visit a rooftop park at the site, had been scrapped because of costs.
Hines has now brought the idea back in advance of its Thursday meeting with the city's Planning Commission.
Source and article: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...er-for-sf.html

More info here.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 4:29 PM

Apparently, there will be an official announcement at 10AM about the Warriors move to SF. Here are some renderings and info about the move and the new arena:

Quote:
Warriors to build new arena, move back to S.F.

The Golden State Warriors are jumping across the bay, with plans for a privately financed, $500 million waterfront arena that would allow the team to play its home games in San Francisco for the first time in more than four decades.

The NBA franchise would leave Oakland for a 17,000- to 19,000-seat arena that would be built on Piers 30-32 near the foot of the Bay Bridge, a short walk from downtown, and open in time for the 2017-18 season.

"It is going to happen - let there be no doubt," Warriors co-owner Joe Lacob said Monday.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1vcKmTn7r

Source: www.sfgate.com

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 6:57 PM

^ I'm just happy to see that the Transbay tower is in all of the renderings.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 7:54 PM

Those renderings look great. The arena looks much less imposing than I imagined. I'm wondering if the sketches made the arena appear smaller than it will in real life?

I really hope a new Warriors arena comes to fruition (even if in Mission Bay). It'll be a great boon to the city to have a real multipurpose arena capable of large concerts and shows.

The only way I can imagine this getting all the approvals is if the Warriors grease the wheels a bit by offering money for affordable housing, public transit, and wetlands restoration to mollify all the government agencies needed to approve the project.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman_95046 View Post
^ I'm just happy to see that the Transbay tower is in all of the renderings.
The tower in the renderings is 1200'- take about 10 stories from the top and you've got the current proposal

An arena on the waterfront is excellent for so many reasons:
it's within walking distance to BART, the Transbay Transit Center, MUNI metro, and easily accessible from CalTrain. No other arena in the Bay Area has this much "rapid" transit access.

Concerts and large events can now be local instead of having to plan ahead and have to deal with getting to and from Oakland and San Jose. The added revenue for the city from San Franciscans currently being spent in these other cities is an additional boon.

We lose a professional sports team, but gain a new one.

It puts to use a dilapidated pier and adds more foot traffic to a rather blighted, vacant area.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 5:54 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
The tower in the renderings is 1200'- take about 10 stories from the top and you've got the current proposal

An arena on the waterfront is excellent for so many reasons:
it's within walking distance to BART, the Transbay Transit Center, MUNI metro, and easily accessible from CalTrain. No other arena in the Bay Area has this much "rapid" transit access.

Concerts and large events can now be local instead of having to plan ahead and have to deal with getting to and from Oakland and San Jose. The added revenue for the city from San Franciscans currently being spent in these other cities is an additional boon.

We lose a professional sports team, but gain a new one.

It puts to use a dilapidated pier and adds more foot traffic to a rather blighted, vacant area.
Great news for San Francisco and the Warriors. It's a smart move on so many levels. I can't help but feel bad for Oakland though. They're losing all their sports franchises.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 11:02 PM
testify

even if the mayor were to throw everything he could at it - trading whatever he could with supervisors to get it fast-tracked, just the eir alone would take 14-16 months. how do these guys expect to get it done? has the port already done work on it?

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 12:52 AM
testify

yessssss.... http://uptownalmanac.com/2012/05/ste...ce-giant-value

of course, the fanatical idiots who don't care about how housing costs are spiraling out of control in the city will complain about the height, but i love it almost everything about it.

note that the mission cinema project is completely aside from this project -http://drafthouse.com/blog/entry/an_alamo_in_san_francisco

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post
yessssss.... http://uptownalmanac.com/2012/05/ste...ce-giant-value

of course, the fanatical idiots who don't care about how housing costs are spiraling out of control in the city will complain about the height, but i love it almost everything about it.

note that the mission cinema project is completely aside from this project -http://drafthouse.com/blog/entry/an_alamo_in_san_francisco
I'm a big fan of this project as well, but this isn't going to make any difference in the price of rentals in SF. you need to build huge high rises (I'm talking Archstone Fox Plaza size) to make any sort of impact.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 2:17 AM
testify

well, yeah, but continually opposing virtually big development in hoods that haven't any mid-block mid-rise, that's the currency of the sf nimby. we need to densify everywhere, to this extent.

anyway, back to the basketball stadium, we have some pretty straightforward tidbits from the latest chron article:

Ellison's loss may prove beneficial to the Warriors because the team now has access to the Oracle co-founder's extensive engineering studies done on Piers 30-32, which were provided to the port, and to thousands of pages of public documents produced last year for the environmental impact review of the America's Cup regatta that include analyses of the piers' physical condition, animal species in the water and traffic issues. Guber and Warriors co-owner Joe Lacob say they're fully aware of the condition of the piers and will soon be putting out a bid to fix them.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1vkX3g0J3

that's the nice stuff, esp since the ac eir was fast-tracked.

we'll see how far it goes with this:

Even with City Hall's support, the Warriors' owners will need to convince the San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission and the California State Lands Commission, which both oversee waterfront development on public land.

Winning their approval could be difficult. State law has strict "public trust" requirements for building on the waterfront that prioritizes open space, the maintenance of views of the water and maritime usage. Lewis said a basketball arena doesn't fit any of that and could easily be built farther inland.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 7:38 AM

Congrats to San Francisco for getting the Warriors back. But I really question if that will end up the actual site of their arena. It'll probably be in Mission Bay or maybe even in Hunters Point. But of course I have been known to be wrong..maybe even known for being wrong so who knows. Anyway good news everybody ..er..except Oaklanders.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 4:08 PM

Big day for the Transbay neighborhood and tower:

Quote:
Transit district development plan gets hearing
By: Ari Burack | 05/23/12 6:13 PM
SF Examiner Staff Writer

Plans for the neighborhood surrounding the Transbay Transit Center are before the Planning Commission.
A plan to reshape the South of Market neighborhood surrounding the planned new Transbay Terminal, laying the groundwork for new development that could include the tallest building on the West Coast, passes before the Planning Commission today.

The commission will consider approval of the final environmental impact report and zoning changes for the Transit Center District Plan, The City’s vision for shaping development in the neighborhoods around the new terminal. The $4 billion project being built at First and Mission streets includes a new bus terminal and an extension of Caltrain that could also accommodate high-speed rail.

The district plan, in development since 2007, builds on city plans dating back as far as the mid-1980s to shift development further south of the old Financial District. The plans centers on the area between Market Street, The Embarcadero, Folsom Street and Hawthorne Street.

If approved by the Planning Commission, the plan will move on to the Board of Supervisors for final approval, possibly this summer.

“It’s an exceptionally important hearing,” said Joshua Switzky of the Planning Department. “Assuming they approve it, it would set the stage for entitling some important new projects and generate hundreds of millions of dollars for public improvements and infrastructure.”

One of those projects, the planned 61-story, 1,070-foot Transit Tower office building at the terminal site, could come up for approval at the Planning Commission in the fall. Although scaled down from its original planned height of 1,200 feet, it would still dwarf The City’s current tallest building, the 48-floor Transamerica Pyramid, which stands 853 feet tall and was completed in 1972.

“It’s still the iconic tower that The City was looking for from the beginning,” said Paul Paradis, senior managing director at Hines, the developer on the project.

The towering glass and white metal building is expected to help significantly fund the terminal project, with $575 million anticipated for the downtown rail extension, and street and open space improvements.

Paradis said that as the market improves in The City improves, available office space is diminishing. Construction on the tower could begin as soon as next year, he said.

“I think that it’s going to provide a much needed space for the tenants of San Francisco,” Paradis said. “We’ve been in discussions with some larger tenants already.”

http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/deve...n-gets-hearing

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations