HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 5:22 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
That’s really cool, congrats on the great properties, it’s obvious you put a lot of work into those rehabs (I’m assuming that is you). Love the stained glass windows!
I don't think that was why he linked that specific page... Read the comments

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 1:49 PM
The City

Quote:
That’s really cool, congrats on the great properties, it’s obvious you put a lot of work into those rehabs (I’m assuming that is you). Love the stained glass windows!
Yeah, LVDW has been buying up property in Little Village and getting great deals for some time. We need more people like him, even though I'm sure some people would view him (wrongly) as a threat. That beautiful building at Washtenaw and Cullerton is around today because he spent money on it. It otherwise would have been demolished. And you will never see craftwork like that built again. That's why it's so frustrating to see people complain about gentrification from on side of their mouth, and then gripe about lack of historic preservation from the other.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Yeah, LVDW has been buying up property in Little Village and getting great deals for some time. We need more people like him, even though I'm sure some people would view him (wrongly) as a threat. That beautiful building at Washtenaw and Cullerton is around today because he spent money on it. It otherwise would have been demolished. And you will never see craftwork like that built again. That's why it's so frustrating to see people complain about gentrification from on side of their mouth, and then gripe about lack of historic preservation from the other.
Preaching to the choir! I'd love to take on a rehab project in LV or Pilsen, but I'm not there yet. My game has been purchasing more turn-key properties or cosmetic upgrades. I don't have the bandwidth to GC a gut rehab project on my own (I'm still working a 9-5) and I haven't been able to make the numbers work hiring a GC (though I haven't been too committed to finding deals).

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 2:19 PM
The City

Quote:
Preaching to the choir! I'd love to take on a rehab project in LV or Pilsen, but I'm not there yet. My game has been purchasing more turn-key properties or cosmetic upgrades. I don't have the bandwidth to GC a gut rehab project on my own (I'm still working a 9-5) and I haven't been able to make the numbers work hiring a GC (though I haven't been too committed to finding deals).
I've done 2 gut rehabs in Pilsen. I also have a full time job, and I don't think I can delve into LV either. I think going beyond the borders of the gentrification front is really a full time job.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 6:35 PM

take me to church

Someone mentioned church to residential conversions recently. They are pretty common. Here is another fresh one in Logan Square:

CONVERSION OF AN EXISTING 2-STORY, TYPE III-B CHURCH TO A MULTI-UNIT RESIDENTIAL APARTMENT BUILDING WITH 9 DWELLING UNITS AS CHANGE FROM EXISTING C-2 SMALL ASSEMBLY OCCUPANCY TO AN A-2 MULTI-FAMILY RESIDENTIAL OCCUPANCY. NO PARKIN REQUIRED - CONTRIBUTING BUILDING IN THE LOGAN SQUARE BOULEVARDS HISTORIC DISTRICT

2900 W. Logan Blvd. Issued March 26, 2018 Comment

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
In other news, zoning applications have been made public for the last few days. Nothing really major yet, but a few notable projects for various reasons. Hopefully some more come in still..

l.
Awesome list. Where do you go to check the zoning applications? Is there a database for accessing the old ones as well? I've been hoping to find plan docs for old developments (say, past decade) but have mixed success.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabonthatpussy View Post
Awesome list. Where do you go to check the zoning applications? Is there a database for accessing the old ones as well? I've been hoping to find plan docs for old developments (say, past decade) but have mixed success.
Planned development docs can be accessed through the zoning map.
https://gisapps.cityofchicago.org/Zo...Web/terms.html
Type 1 change docs can be accessed by address searching the city clerks website.
https://chicago.legistar.com/Legislation.aspx
Zoning changes that are neither PDs or Type 1s pretty much have no accessible documentation. Any specifics would have to be sought by FOIA.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 9:17 PM

Quote:
This is a slightly nicer interface: https://secondcityzoning.org/

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
Planned development docs can be accessed through the zoning map.
https://gisapps.cityofchicago.org/Zo...Web/terms.html
Type 1 change docs can be accessed by address searching the city clerks website.
https://chicago.legistar.com/Legislation.aspx
Zoning changes that are neither PDs or Type 1s pretty much have no accessible documentation. Any specifics would have to be sought by FOIA.
A valuable pair of links.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
I don't think that was why he linked that specific page... Read the comments
The comments were interesting and sad to me for numerous reasons. On one hand, I understand that culture and whatever needs to be preserved and I totally agree with that but at the same time if all you are doing is going on Facebook and complaining, and nothing else then it's weird. Form community groups to try and set some standards and who knows whatever else. Maybe it's a lost cause, but it's not like nobody's ever done this even in Chicago. Also, Joe (who may be LVDW) is not a big entity - some people were complaining about him coming in and doing this stuff. He's a small player and although they'd like to believe it, there's not a ton of stuff happening in LV if you look at it from a whole as far as I can see. There are pockets here and there, but LV is a big community - still 70K to 80K people. Someone rehabbing a few buildings and making them market rent isn't going to magically change the community. You need way, way, way more developers for this to happen as well as larger buildings too, but not just that. You need people to start opening up businesses outside of that culture all over the place.

Also, some people are very much against segregation (for good reason obviously) and will give the city crap for it, yet the minute someone else comes into their neighborhood they seem shun it. I can understand not wanting to take away culture and agree, but if you are worried that even 50 people moving into your neighborhood is going to magically take away the culture of a very, very cultural area of 70K to 80K people then you're either stupid or crazy. In my opinion, if you are against this you have to take a ground somewhere in the middle. You can't be against segregation and then take action to further segregation - it's contradictory.

At the same time, Joe here has done a service to small areas of the community by doing things like saving that one building from being torn down. It turned out to be a great renovation and a beautiful building. Why would anybody want an empty lot? That is completely beyond me. The renovations look nice and yeah maybe the eastern parts of LV may see this stuff happening due to being next to Pilsen, but it's such a big area that anybody who is thinking gentrification is about to come to some big area around 26th and Pulaski is quite insane to be honest.

I am on both sides of the fence here, but there's a lot better ways to preserve a neighborhood's culture than merely complaining on Facebook but at the same time being able to have a little bit more diversity than is currently there.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 11:02 PM

Enchiladas and TOD

Quote:

* 1812-14 W Division St (around Honore St). Currently a 2 story building that used to have Czar Bar (https://www.google.com/maps/place/18...!4d-87.6730231). Proposed to raze that building and construct a new 4 story building with ground floor commercial space and 12 units. 0 parking spaces and 12 bicycle spaces - TOD qualifying.
This one has the entire TOD enchilada:

1) FAR Bonus
FAR up to 3.33

2) Reduced Minimum Lot Area Per Unit
Has 383.3 square foot of lot area per unit, versus the 400 ft mandate pre TOD.

3) Cut parking minimums
No parking in this one!

That's what I call a BINGO!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTomás View Post

1) FAR Bonus
FAR up to 3.33

3) Cut parking minimums
No parking in this one!

Not so fast, slugger. I'm all for TOD, but this one hurts a bit - I used to frequent Czar Bar back in the day, when this could still be called a Polish town. I remember seeing Wesley Willis & the Fiasco perform there live, in what must have been '93? How times flies.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTomás View Post

1) FAR Bonus
FAR up to 3.33

3) Cut parking minimums
No parking in this one!

Technically, those 3 provisions are not the "entire enchilada."

You forgot the part about increased building height in B-3/C-3 zones (dependent on lot frontage size, obviously).

So, let's say you got 3/4ths of the enchilada...and there's no discount at the TOD enchilada shop! Bet you want your $$$ back like the guys who invested in the Chicago Spire. Just pullin' your leg...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southoftheloop View Post
Not so fast, slugger. I'm all for TOD, but this one hurts a bit - I used to frequent Czar Bar back in the day, when this could still be called a Polish town. I remember seeing Wesley Willis & the Fiasco perform there live, in what must have been '93? How times flies.
That's cool. Must have been great seeing Wesley Willis - however, I'm pretty sure that Czar Bar closed at least a few years ago. Pretty sure this development has nothing to do with Czar Bar closing at least a few years ago. Place has been vacant for awhile as far as I know...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 3:46 AM

Quote:
That's cool. Must have been great seeing Wesley Willis - however, I'm pretty sure that Czar Bar closed at least a few years ago. Pretty sure this development has nothing to do with Czar Bar closing at least a few years ago. Place has been vacant for awhile as far as I know...
In Soviet Russia, Czar bar no close on you. You close on Czar bar.

But in all seriousness, that Czar Bar has been shut for a while. The zoning app/permit said they are tearing down a vacant building.

So I guess you could say the Czar bar went the way of the Czars -- into the ground. Hopefully we don't see a Stalin bar take its place. We already call our city Chiberia...no need to make the comparisons more true.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 3:58 AM

^ LOL. Nicely played..

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 1:00 PM

Quote:
But in all seriousness, that Czar Bar has been shut for a while. The zoning app/permit said they are tearing down a vacant building.
I bought a home in 2009 around the corner and Czar Bar was closed then. So it's been at least 10 years vacant.

Wouldn't a more appropriate and modern rendition be Oligarch Bar?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 3:38 PM

56 W Huron and Home2 by Hilton

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 6:24 PM
Development Shill

H2H is a highrise, wrong thread Jibba

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 6:34 PM
BANNED

I recall someone asking how the new Mart Projector project was going to be configured. Looks like the new projection enclosure will be at the Jetty, essentially under the Wacker sidewalk. Engineering is by IMEG.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development