HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 6:39 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
The view late yesterday afternoon from the 7th floor at City Place

gone are the days of looking west and seeing the rest of downtown towards the Legislative Building.

True, but you never know...maybe one day you will see a little office romance or a possible promotion in the making if you know what I mean.
... ... ... ... .........

"boom...chica...wa...wa"

....whoa, i need some more coffee
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
True, but you never know...maybe one day you will see a little office romance or a possible promotion in the making if you know what I mean.
... ... ... ... .........

"boom...chica...wa...wa"

....whoa, i need some more coffee
That reminds me of the time I worked at a building close to P&M with an office overlooking the area... one fine summer day a few years back, a couple of attractive young women ran out on the rooftop of a nearby Exchange District in not much more than their birthday suits... they proceeded to run around the rooftop, took a bunch of selfies, and then just enjoyed the sun for a while. I'm guessing they must have been skyscraper enthusiasts or something, I mean the views of the Main Street Bankers Row and Lombard Place must have been amazing from there!

Anyway, office morale was higher than normal that day.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 7:44 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That reminds me of the time I worked at a building close to P&M with an office overlooking the area... one fine summer day a few years back, a couple of attractive young women ran out on the rooftop of a nearby Exchange District in not much more than their birthday suits... they proceeded to run around the rooftop, took a bunch of selfies, and then just enjoyed the sun for a while. I'm guessing they must have been skyscraper enthusiasts or something, I mean the views of the Main Street Bankers Row and Lombard Place must have been amazing from there!

Maybe they thought they were going to a sunworshipper beach in France but took a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
This is at least the fourth project to "save" downtown.

1. The Centennial Centre - aka Concert Hall + Manitoba Museum.
2. WCC + Carlton Square, Holiday Towers, etc (a live, work, play development)
3. North Portage - aka Portage Place, Place Prominade, etc. (a live, work play development)
4. True North/Longboat developments.

Considering we are still trying to "save" downtown I will hold out judgement until 10 years after TNS is completed.
But this time it will be different! Just you watch! Jets4Life says it (several times actually) and so it shall be!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 5:19 AM

Biff is right. In speaking of her days working in the Wheat Pool Building (Main and Lombard, where the Richardson Building is now) my mother noted that a dentist in the McIntyre Block was regularly up to hijinks with his dental hygienist in their dental chair.

Seriously though, I wouldn't be overly romantic about remembering the buildings on the blocks along the north side of Portage. It was not the greatest area. Now whether a large shopping mall was a great idea to replace them, that is another question.

To me, all the earlier "mega projects" (as they used to be called), were promoted as saviours far too much for their own good. To use a baseball analogy, you don't need to hit a grand slam homerun to start a rally. You just need to get on base. Fill an empty storefront. Rent out that vacant second floor. Repurpose a building that has outlived its original purpose. Build a money-making but medium-size building to replace that parking lot.

True North Square is not intended as a grand slam home run. However, with just the first two towers it is at least a solid double. The momentum is there and ongoing. I gave a tour of downtown to my in-laws from Toronto a couple of years ago. They had never been to Winnipeg and were a little surprised when I told them about how negative some people are about downtown. This and many other projects have started construction since they were there. They would be impressed.

Sit back and watch it go up (and keep an eye on the windows for Biff).

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Not sure if he is still in business here in Winnipeg but a few years there was one photographer in 54 Arthur Street doing business producing soft core still photo shoots for the internet pay sites.

Apparently he liked using the fire escape for his models to pose on so he could have downtown as the background.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Seriously though, I wouldn't be overly romantic about remembering the buildings on the blocks along the north side of Portage. It was not the greatest area. Now whether a large shopping mall was a great idea to replace them, that is another question.
It's not so much a question of whether the older buildings were all that great as it is one of whether it was wise to spend nearly $300 million in mostly public dollars, mid 1980s dollars to boot, when $300 million was huge money for a construction project, (Cadillac Fairview contributed a trivial amount to the whole thing, something on the order of $12 or $15 million) in demolishing them and building a complex that barely a decade after it opened, hardly anyone had any use for.

Quote:
To me, all the earlier "mega projects" (as they used to be called), were promoted as saviours far too much for their own good. To use a baseball analogy, you don't need to hit a grand slam homerun to start a rally. You just need to get on base. Fill an empty storefront. Rent out that vacant second floor. Repurpose a building that has outlived its original purpose. Build a money-making but medium-size building to replace that parking lot.

True North Square is not intended as a grand slam home run. However, with just the first two towers it is at least a solid double. The momentum is there and ongoing. I gave a tour of downtown to my in-laws from Toronto a couple of years ago. They had never been to Winnipeg and were a little surprised when I told them about how negative some people are about downtown. This and many other projects have started construction since they were there. They would be impressed.
I think there was a strong tendency to over-sell megaprojects mainly because there was often a major public contribution to them... politicians had to try to convince the public that it was going to be worth it. With private sector projects there's nothing to sell... Chipman's bean counters told him the numbers added up, they lined up the tenants, and away we go with construction... no one needs to be persuaded as to the benefits of TNS.

Any downtown project is a piece of a larger puzzle... the downside of those 60s, 70s and 80s megaprojects is that they promised the moon, and when they inevitably failed to deliver that on their own it soured the public on any kind of public investment downtown.

Even if the Concert Hall or MTS Centre didn't turn around downtown all on their own, they are important civic amenities and downtown is better for having them.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 2:20 PM
What could go wrong?

To me, this isn't a mega project at all. It is a office building with a residential component. In any other city this is just a downtown development. Don't get me wrong, it is a significant development for downtown but lets not kid ourselves. Chipman isn't doing this to be a savior for downtown (although it helps). He is a business man intent on diversifying his portfolio and to turn a profit.

This is what Winnipeg should be hoping for. It means someone has the confidence to invest the kind of money it takes to develop a project of this size. The hope is that more developers see opportunities to make money such as Chipman has to capitalize on other significant developments that help to make our downtown better.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Not sure if he is still in business here in Winnipeg but a few years there was one photographer in 54 Arthur Street doing business producing soft core still photo shoots for the internet pay sites.

Apparently he liked using the fire escape for his models to pose on so he could have downtown as the background.
Oh that's gonna bug me... I know who this is, but the name is buried under the cobwebs of my late 20's.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtWednesday View Post
Oh that's gonna bug me... I know who this is, but the name is buried under the cobwebs of my late 20's.
Rahim?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the unknown poster View Post
rahim?
bingo

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 8:30 PM
Back from the dead

While I echo any sentiments to the effect that any "renaissance" building projects are pure hogwash, eventually, with enough of them, it's bound to be the case.

No single project is going to turn things around unless it encompasses the entire downtown district. I'm pretty sure that nobody anywhere has ever done anything on that scale.

With that said, I've been saying, IRL and on these boards for decades that the strategies used to revitalize the downtown core have been idiotic. Hell, for decades the idea was to build shops. That was pretty much it. Build shops and somehow the downtown will be able to compete with free parking and magnet/destination centers in the suburbs. Somehow that just never seemed to work. It's only now that the city has accidentally stumbled upon it that it's realized that the answer is obviously to get more people living downtown. Actually, I'm not even sure the city has realized it just yet. Hopefully it will.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 1:10 PM

Crane was flying out formwork or scaffolding last night around 10pm. Sorry, the pano makes the crane booms look reeeaaally long.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 1:26 PM

Neat photo. Thanks.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
True North Square is not intended as a grand slam home run. However, with just the first two towers it is at least a solid double.
I would classify TNS as more a foul than a double if you want to use baseball metaphors. The main office essentially is vacuuming up existing tenants from other downtown properties. It will take a while for the full impact to truly shake out but definitely more storm clouds on the horizon than rainbows right now.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 3:11 PM

As of 7am this morning they were hammering away pulling out more of the scaffolding. It seems pretty much certain they've reached the highest they can go on the first tower until that crane is higher. Normally by this point there would at least be the beginnings of some of the pillars to support the next floor in place.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 3:14 PM

Looking out my window now though I can see they're pouring cement on the 9th floor

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 3:22 PM

You folks are slacking on the cam photos! I'll cover for you.

I was also thinking the cranes will need a boost very soon. They'll have to raise the taller one first to get the shorter one up, even though the second tower is still a long ways down.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 5:11 PM

Last night I had this strange bad dream where construction of True North square completely stopped and just laid there in it's current state for years. Then someone bought the property and converted what was already built so far into a private mansion. And the entire city council praised the development as "saving a long lost mega project" and "adding vibrancy to the fabric of downtown".

Though to be honest, I think one of the reasons they abandoned the original project was because of ISIS blowing part of the current construction site up. Or maybe it was just some bored teenagers who committed arson for the heck of it.

And yes, it's absolutely essential for all of you to know about this.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 1:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I would classify TNS as more a foul than a double if you want to use baseball metaphors. The main office essentially is vacuuming up existing tenants from other downtown properties. It will take a while for the full impact to truly shake out but definitely more storm clouds on the horizon than rainbows right now.
If anything, TNS will attract tenants from outside of Downtown and other jurisdictions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan