HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:40 AM
BANNED

GOETTSCH Please Read!

It would be GREAT if they could carry the X-bracing at the plaza throughout the tower. Like Hearst, Hancock, 3WTC. Even if it was just through only the center X, from top to bottom. Would take this design from a 5 to a 9/10

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:45 AM

Good news for those who prefered the 3-tier design of 110 N. Wacker, we might be getting it after all. God damn. 2019 Could be another big year for construction starts.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:53 AM
BANNED

—-

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:54 AM
1st Ward

Why are they keeping the park as part of the design? Seems like a waste of space. Its next to a busy bus station, it doesn't seem likely that people will find much peace listening to all the bus engines, squeaky brakes and inhaling all the diesel fumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
It would be GREAT if they could carry the X-bracing at the plaza throughout the tower. Like Hearst, Hancock, 3WTC. Even if it was just through only the center X, from top to bottom. Would take this design from a 5 to a 9/10
Yes! Something like that would definitely jazz up the design.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
New renderings for Union Station office tower acquired

Word is hizzoner worked quietly behind the scenes with Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) and Riverside Investment & Development to preserve Union Station and build a new office tower and plaza across the street from the historic train station.

Sneed has also learned an anchor tenant has been already lined up for the building, which will bring several thousand jobs to the city, according to mayoral spokesman Adam Collins.

The new rendering plans will debut at a public community meeting soon before heading to the City Council for approval.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/ne...ower-acquired/

So Sneed was spot on with the rumor and graphic few weeks ago... problem is he stated that the the tenant would bring several thousand jobs to the city?...which made us assume it was new jobs to the city and not a relocation from other downtown offices...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 1:11 AM
The City

^ We don’t know if this will be new jobs yet, do we?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 1:16 AM

From Tribune... still not 100% of if there new or relocated from other buildings but recent article seems to assume that it could be moves possibly ...

"BMO Harris currently leases more than 800,000 square feet combined in three downtown buildings — at 115 S. LaSalle St., 111 W. Monroe St. and 200 W. Adams St. Some or all of those workers could be consolidated into the new Union Station space."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...910-story.html

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 1:26 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
Good news for those who prefered the 3-tier design of 110 N. Wacker, we might be getting it after all. God damn. 2019 Could be another big year for construction starts.
Haha, I want guess I can't complain about it when I look at it that way. I loved the three tier design. I'm wondering if the park will eventually turn into another tower down the line. The first plan for this site had that block with two large office towers and a revamped bus depot

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
From Tribune... still not 100% of if there new or relocated from other buildings but recent article seems to assume that it could be moves possibly ...

"BMO Harris currently leases more than 800,000 square feet combined in three downtown buildings — at 115 S. LaSalle St., 111 W. Monroe St. and 200 W. Adams St. Some or all of those workers could be consolidated into the new Union Station space."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...910-story.html
500,000 sq ft is a lot of space - probably anywhere between 3500 and 4000 employees if not more. I can't tell what's what. The Sun Times article says they would bring thousands of new jobs to the city. Does BMO have corporate locations in the suburbs they are looking at consolidating?

I think perhaps some of these articles are confusing BMO Harris with BMO. BMO (Bank of Montreal) has divisions like BMO Capital Markets, BMO Wealth Management, BMO Asset Management, etc. These are all in Chicago as well - and not necessarily "BMO Harris". They are part of Bank of Montreal, the parent of BMO Harris.

BMO is a $16.5B USD company - they could go on a big hiring spree I guess, but I would be really surprised if they wouldn't move some of their other people to this building. They could hire a few thousand people but I somehow doubt 90% of their space in this building would be new hires. But hey, even at 50% that would be a few thousand people.

Kind of confusing though to determine how many people they are looking to hire, if any.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 1:52 AM

There still remains some work to do on the design said a source close to this project.

X-Bracing carried up the tower would be awesome. While we are wish-listing, I would like to see this bump to 800Ft.

Last edited by RedCorsair87; Sep 11, 2018 at 2:07 AM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
500,000 sq ft is a lot of space - probably anywhere between 3500 and 4000 employees if not more. I can't tell what's what. The Sun Times article says they would bring thousands of new jobs to the city. Does BMO have corporate locations in the suburbs they are looking at consolidating?
They do have a large operations center in Naperville... Banks are so cheap, though, and I'd be surprised if they were planning to move those employees to more expensive space downtown.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Why are they keeping the park as part of the design?
Reilly. Tacking suboptimal quasi-public open space onto projects is his thing.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 4:16 PM

BMO Harris has an operations center out in naperville. They could consolidate those jobs into this new tower as well. So technically, it is an addition of jobs to the city itself, just not the metropolitan area.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 4:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Reilly. Tacking suboptimal quasi-public open space onto projects is his thing.
Well, I guess that's one good thing about him.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 7:20 PM
Urbane observer

Where is this forum's rage against "that panderhack" Reilly for not approving the residential addition on top of the Great Hall? Where are the demands for an end to aldermanic prerogative?

Or—when comparing this to the discussions over the Esquire Theater and Giordano's sites—does it turn out that tall shiny objects are more important to some of you guys than principles of planning and urban design?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 7:43 PM
BANNED

Lol everyone on here despises him. It's just sort of pointless unless you actually put it to good use and try to unseat him.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 9:33 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Where is this forum's rage against "that panderhack" Reilly for not approving the residential addition on top of the Great Hall? Where are the demands for an end to aldermanic prerogative?

Or—when comparing this to the discussions over the Esquire Theater and Giordano's sites—does it turn out that tall shiny objects are more important to some of you guys than principles of planning and urban design?

Last edited by Clarkkent2420; Sep 14, 2018 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 9:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkkent2420 View Post
The answer to your question is that it is very easy for people to throw opinions out on the internet, especially without having any of the information at hand regarding why and how project planning decisions get made. As a result it's easy for some tall, convoluted sculpture to be better appreciated than great buildings with good site designs.

Anyone can say what they want, but Reilly has overseen the implementation of about 6 acres of public park space in the last 8 years, in connection to private development. People LOVE these parks - especially tenants. The Riverpoint and 150 N Riverside parks have been slammed all summer.
#pay2play

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 9:44 PM

Having a park to go to while waiting for something at Union station would be a plus. And if all the buses keep shifting to electrical the noise and smell would be toned down.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
They do have a large operations center in Naperville... Banks are so cheap, though, and I'd be surprised if they were planning to move those employees to more expensive space downtown.
Depends on the bank. There have been some banks lately to actually spend more on office space. I know from first hand experience on this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive