HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 5:24 PM

I like the mesh screen so far. I really like its translucency, especially how you can see the x-shaped trusses. It actually looks like a literal *crown* more so than a reflective glass cube on the top would. I hope you're able to see these structural elements come through when they light it up at night.

This isn't some curvy perfume bottle glass tower. The shifted blocks give it a very structural, muscular aesthetic, and I think that really comes through with the metal screen and steel trusses.

With the power plant, the bridge, and even the power station, the Seaholm area does have a kind of industrial / structural look to it, and I think the crown complements that.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
I like the mesh screen so far. I really like its translucency, especially how you can see the x-shaped trusses. It actually looks like a literal *crown* more so than a reflective glass cube on the top would. I hope you're able to see these structural elements come through when they light it up at night.

This isn't some curvy perfume bottle glass tower. The shifted blocks give it a very structural, muscular aesthetic, and I think that really comes through with the metal screen and steel trusses.

With the power plant, the bridge, and even the power station, the Seaholm area does have a kind of industrial / structural look to it, and I think the crown complements that.

Good point.....I really like the "slosh tank"....my 4 year old knows most all of the buildings downtown, and he will think that is as cool as I do, to be sure.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
Here are a few from this morning. The rest are here: https://imgur.com/a/7kT4DBd
Outstanding work!
Thanks.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 2:21 PM

With regards to the comparisons of the mesh screen on this building vs 3rd and shoal...

This is a completely different scenario. The screen mesh is located at the top of the tallest building in Austin, and by that point from the ground the building isn't read as anything more than a mass. Therefore it's okay to be missing a little bit of detail since it's far away from the street and the occupier of space around the building. From afar, where it is seen better, it still only reads as a mass, and the "mullions" dividing it are what adds a bit of detail that ties it to the rest of the building.

At 3rd and shoal, however, the blank mass is literally brought down to the street, with the only interested added to it being the regular panelized subdivisions themselves...not even mullion details. This huge blank mass is experienced directly by pedestrians and those close to the building around the street. Complete disconnect with regards to scale and interest. Total design failure in my opinion.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
With regards to the comparisons of the mesh screen on this building vs 3rd and shoal...

This is a completely different scenario. The screen mesh is located at the top of the tallest building in Austin, and by that point from the ground the building isn't read as anything more than a mass. Therefore it's okay to be missing a little bit of detail since it's far away from the street and the occupier of space around the building. From afar, where it is seen better, it still only reads as a mass, and the "mullions" dividing it are what adds a bit of detail that ties it to the rest of the building.

At 3rd and shoal, however, the blank mass is literally brought down to the street, with the only interested added to it being the regular panelized subdivisions themselves...not even mullion details. This huge blank mass is experienced directly by pedestrians and those close to the building around the street. Complete disconnect with regards to scale and interest. Total design failure in my opinion.
I regret bringing up Third and Shoal because it's derailed the conversation. Most buildings look better by comparison.

I'm going to reserve final judgment on the crown until it's complete. But I drive by it every day and see if from multiple angles, and it doesn't look great IMO. You can see the concrete slosh tank through it. But once again, it might look much better complete.

Certainly would have been cooler with some type of LED component or made use of glass, but we'll see. Hoping it surprises me.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post

Certainly would have been cooler with some type of LED component or made use of glass, but we'll see. Hoping it surprises me.
I think the entire forum is in agreement that adding good lighting onto buildings always makes it cooler.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 5:34 AM
Keep It Weird

Quote:
So everyone is going to give Gensler a hard time abou the poverty siding on their Third and Shoal parking podium, but not when it's used to cap the Independent?

The Independent is probably my favorite building in downtown Austin and one of the very few that has an interesting design, but c'mon... This crown is pretty disappointing right???
UgGH is that a word? Just once some nice tall building try to out style the Frost towers crown. Do something that doesn't look like a cattle fence on top of a 650 ft building!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 9:33 PM

They just announced that Tier 1 units will be delivered by "end of the year". Hard to believe with that crane still there, but who knows...

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78701 View Post
They just announced that Tier 1 units will be delivered by "end of the year". Hard to believe with that crane still there, but who knows...
Crane comes down in August, once interior elevators are fully operational.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytoony View Post
This makes sense, thanks. So it's not as far-fetched as I initially thought.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 3:38 AM
Joenaustex

Tier 1 Move In Nov 9

From the owners newsletter...

WE'RE EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE..
The construction crew is right on schedule! We expect to start delivering Tier 1 units + amenity floors by the end of this year!

If your unit is on floors 10-23 please note the anticipated time frame that your unit will be ready to close:
Floors 10-15 | Nov 9 - Dec 9
Floors 16-18 | Nov 16 - Dec 16
Floors 19-21 | Nov 30 - Dec 30
Floors 22-23 | Dec 17 - Jan 17

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 3:15 PM
Resident Moron

Now that the mesh is ~90% finished on all sides it looks real good.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 3:15 PM

I need to take a shot, but most of the crown looks complete, at least from South Austin. It didn't look super sexy at 4pm in 109 degree weather yesterday, but perhaps that shall change?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I need to take a shot, but most of the crown looks complete, at least from South Austin. It didn't look super sexy at 4pm in 109 degree weather yesterday, but perhaps that shall change?
I drove by it in the morning and evening yesterday, and eesh, it just looks bad to me. Looks like an industrial mesh fence surrounding a concrete box sitting on top of a sleek modern building.

The building itself is so imposing from Auditorium Shores though. Ugly crown or not, it's definitely our signature building now.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 4:44 PM

Quote:
I drove by it in the morning and evening yesterday, and eesh, it just looks bad to me. Looks like an industrial mesh fence surrounding a concrete box sitting on top of a sleek modern building.

The building itself is so imposing from Auditorium Shores though. Ugly crown or not, it's definitely our signature building now.
I looked up as I was approaching my car and **immediately** unintentionally scowled at the sight of that mesh. Perhaps my mind will change? It just looks like an afterthought to me...Almost temporary.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 6:23 PM

The mesh seems as white as the whole building was pictured in the drawings. The building looks more blue than whitish. From the webcam the mesh does seem to hide the core pretty well. I will leave judgement for when they install the lighting.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytoony View Post
We will have 3 of the elevators done soon. Working around the clock to finish them up.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 3:31 AM
Love Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE-apprentice View Post
We will have 3 of the elevators done soon. Working around the clock to finish them up.
Sweet!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 4:31 AM

Not to be a bummer but anyone else worried that the parking podium will look super fugly? Other than one small corner partially decorated with vegetation, it will seemingly not be disguised really. I have a feeling it will forever look a bit unfinished.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Not to be a bummer but anyone else worried that the parking podium will look super fugly? Other than one small corner partially decorated with vegetation, it will seemingly not be disguised really. I have a feeling it will forever look a bit unfinished.
Yeah I've been worried about this since the beginning. Such a shame for the new tallest in Austin to have such a bleak and unfinished looking parking podium, compared to say the Austonian.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin