HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 3:31 PM
It's Hammer Time

I like the tax free savings account and good news about $10,000 but it isn't enough for me to vote for Harper's government.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 3:36 PM

Every promise he's made has been "You get this! [after the budget is balanced in 2015 or 2016."

Now even if (when) he wins this election, we won't see any benefits for at least four or five years. What are the odds that:
a) The budget is balanced?
b) Anyone will remember?
c) Harper will still be PM?

You know what would make balancing the budget easier? If GST was still at 7%...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 3:37 PM

I didn't get Ignatieff's robo-call, but I did get a personal phone call from David Christopherson's office.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 9:32 PM

I have respect for Christopherson but the riding has not benefitted in any measurable way from his representation.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 11:32 PM
It's Hammer Time

You can watch Ignatieff's townhall here
http://www.thespec.com/static/512941

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 12:19 PM

Any highlights from either of the townhalls?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 12:28 PM
It's Hammer Time

Ignatieff impressed me the most. He's approachable and intelligent, that was clearly demonstrated last night.

I'd love to see a Liberal minority with enough NDP seats to form a stable government.

Think the highlight from Harper was letting students inside and a Stelco worker protesting inside. With the media inside security was careful not to drag him out.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 6:09 PM

Reading about the Conservative budget, it says Quebec will be getting $2.2-billion for harmonizing their PST & GST. Did Ontario or BC get that much money?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 7:35 PM
It's Hammer Time

CHCH-TV to Broadcast "Elizabeth May, For the Record" Live this Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 8pm ET

TORONTO, April 8 /CNW/ - Today Channel Zero announced its plans to broadcast a comprehensive panel interview with Green Party of Canada leader Elizabeth May, live on Sunday, April 10, 2011 at 8pm ET.

The big networks won't have her, but CHCH will. "Elizabeth May, For the Record" will give Ms. May the opportunity that the Broadcaster Consortium is denying her - the forum to present and defend the Green Party platform, and to be questioned and challenged by a group of well-respected journalists, in an open, nationally-televised broadcast. Panelists include Nick Dixon - CHCH News Anchor, Richard Brennan - National Affairs Reporter for the Toronto Star, Christina Blizzard - Political Columnist with the Toronto Sun, and Nicole Macintyre from the Hamilton Spectator.

CHCH is encouraging the public to submit questions for the panelists to questions@chch.com.

"On March 30, we announced our profound disappointment with the Broadcaster Consortium's decision to exclude the Green Party from their leaders' debate. At that time we opened up an invitation to host and broadcast a Complete Leaders' Debate. That invitation still stands. However, as the first leaders' debate draws near, we feel that it is important that the views of all the national parties be included in the conversation, and accordingly we are giving the Green Party an opportunity to be heard and evaluated by Canadians," said Cal Millar, President of Channel Zero.

"Elizabeth May, For the Record" will be broadcast live and commercial-free from the CHCH studios in Hamilton, Ontario on Sunday, April 10th at 8pm ET, immediately following 60 Minutes. Channel Zero, in co-operation with CHEK Media, will air the program nationally on CHCH (Toronto/Hamilton), Métro14 (Montreal), and CHEK-TV (Vancouver/Victoria). CHCH, Métro14 and CHEK are available coast to coast on numerous satellite, cable and telco-tv providers. "Elizabeth May, For the Record" will also be available for online viewing following the broadcast at chch.com.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../08/c2709.html

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 1:23 PM
It's Hammer Time

Braden says Tories cost Hamilton a car plant

http://www.thespec.com/news/election...on-a-car-plant

Liberal candidate Dave Braden is accusing the Conservatives of being inept for not supporting a plan to build a Think City electric-car plant in Hamilton and letting it slip away to Indiana.

Braden, at the first all-candidates meeting for Ancaster-Dundas-Flamborough-Westdale Monday night, said he took the idea to his Conservative opponent, MP David Sweet, about 2007, but said he was told the minister responsible for such initiatives “was too busy to discuss the issue.”

He said he had many others on board, including a number of auto parts companies and the province, which was prepared to allocate $30 million. Braden initially got involved in the Think Car from Norway in 2004.

“Consequently, an opportunity for Canada to be a leader in this field and a catalyst for real change was lost,” he said. “For an individual to lose a business opportunity is one thing, but the consequences for our community are monumental. There is no doubt this enterprise would have been a major employer in this region.”

According to a New York Times article from 2010, production of the Think car is slated to begin this year in Elkhart, Indiana.

The accusation was just one of a number Braden hammered at the Conservative government during the evening, including being responsible for poor decorum in the House of Commons and wasting $30 billion of taxpayers’ money on fighter jets.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 3:02 PM

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
Christopherson has just lost my vote.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Christopherson has just lost my vote.
Judging by the amount of signs in his riding in his favour vs. those of his opponents, I think he's still the leading candidate. Although I'm interested to see how this news plays with those with his name on their lawn.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 5:01 PM
It's Hammer Time

Riding Profile: Hamilton Mountain

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/04...lton-mountain/

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padthai View Post
Judging by the amount of signs in his riding in his favour vs. those of his opponents, I think he's still the leading candidate. Although I'm interested to see how this news plays with those with his name on their lawn.
I'm one of those people with his sign on my lawn. Blocking citizen's access to an Auditor General's report is enough for me to (probably) change my vote.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 10:41 PM

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 12:09 AM

The NDP is talking out both sides of their mouth here. Christopherson is defending his vote to not allow its release by saying he has too much respect for Parliament to railroad a change in the dying days of the 40th session, while at the same time his leader is demanding the parliamentary procedure be overlooked and the document be released by the Auditor General today. Can't have it both ways, so who is correct, Layton or Christopherson?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 1:22 PM

Green Party Out in Hamilton Centre? - http://www.thespec.com/news/election...amilton-centre

Quote:
It does not appear the Green Party has a candidate in Hamilton Centre.

The party is blaming returning officer Jim Winn for the situation, but it doesn’t appear to have any avenue of appeal.

Last edited by mattgrande; Apr 14, 2011 at 2:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 1:09 AM

Hamilton and our future.

Well I have only been in town since 1994 and can not recall any connection between the historical NDP local representation and any true local benefits. All the current NDP reps are nice people and have done service on individual issues or visit the elderly and that is an important funstion as our elderly need genuine attention but what have they done for Hamilton. Not much.
When we had Sheila Copps and her high profile position Deputy PM we did get the Discovery Centre and the Haida.
So come vote time NDP are not very effective for the advancement of Hamilton concerns.
Seriously what has Christopherson ever done for the city of Hamilton. He never commits to anything and only goes on TV to slag or trash someone. I have a hard time him in the News for some monumental achievment.
Vote for the duds and you get what you deserve zeros for heros.
Sadly intil we get a majority goverment that can make a decision we will talk about crap until the next election or the one after that. Let life pass us by.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 3:51 AM
Concerned Citizen

It doesn't really matter who represents us in Parliament we rarely get anything from them. We have had high profile cabinet ministers in the past and many members of the governing party's, it didn't do anything to slow the decline of this city. So we might as well vote for people who give us good service. Thats why lately Hamiltonians have been voting for New Democrats. Despite the perceptions we are not an NDP stronghold. Over the last 40 years we have had almost equal representation from all 3 party's. Hamilton East was a Liberal lock for over 40 years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy