HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 5:05 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
The no-build option.

Simply decline to approve more than 2000 dwelling units, or more than 100,000 sf of office, and certainly decline to approve any sports venue. If Sterling Bay complains, remind them that they purchased land in a PMD, with no transit access. Therefore, they should be grateful that townhouses and midrises are permitted.

You want to build a new downtown? Choose a site that's served by transit.
You know, I find that you're usually a bit too NIMBY for my tastes, but I kind of agree with you on this one.

Sterling Yards seems to be hell bent on cannibalizing other parts of the city with this, and are even cannibalizing their own efforts in the West Loop, by trying to create this district. And no, they have done nothing to address transit access.

I for one really don't care if Lincoln Yards goes anywhere or stays on the drawing board for another few decades. There are more exciting things going on elsewhere in the city and I think we can do without this.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Sure is. I kinda think that if we can do this, the Elon Musk tunnel is no big deal at all, and I also wonder why we can't build more subways as well
We can build more subway. It's just terrifically more expensive than building wastewater tunnels because you need things like stations, life safety equipment, track, signals, traction power, etc.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
You know, I find that you're usually a bit too NIMBY for my tastes, but I kind of agree with you on this one.

Sterling Yards seems to be hell bent on cannibalizing other parts of the city with this, and are even cannibalizing their own efforts in the West Loop, by trying to create this district. And no, they have done nothing to address transit access.

I for one really don't care if Lincoln Yards goes anywhere or stays on the drawing board for another few decades. There are more exciting things going on elsewhere in the city and I think we can do without this.
When Finkl first talked of moving, one of the thoughts I had was that given the fongo-ed grid, bad river crossings, and lack of transit service, that we should turn it into Wilmetka on the river.

Give people someplace to build their McMansions on palatial estates, instead of tearing down Lincoln Park three flats 2-3 at a time.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
God, I hope Stanley's reopens in the area. We love that place.
Agreed!

One thing I am thinking/hoping, is that they open somewhere nearby, but walk-able.

I LOVE Stanley's, but their location isn't that great, and is not walkable. Plus, the current building is nothing amazing; just an early 1970's grocery store building, typical for that era.

What I would like to see, is that they move to something like that new market space that is going to open up on Milwaukee Ave in Logan Square...something cool, so that one could walk to Stanley's, and will help make that area awesome. Have it be part of a neighborhood! I mean, I know Target is moving in there, but it would be great to see them move there as well, if there is a vacancy.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 6:57 PM

Since rumors are fun, I met with a friend who works in brokerage over the weekend. He heard through a guy that knows a guy on Amazon's Real Estate team that said they were going to make a push for Lincoln Yards. Of course that means its not happening. I kept waiting for him to ask if I had any interest in a building he listed over that way. Never came up though...

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 7:10 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Since rumors are fun, I met with a friend who works in brokerage over the weekend. He heard through a guy that knows a guy on Amazon's Real Estate team that said they were going to make a push for Lincoln Yards. Of course that means its not happening. I kept waiting for him to ask if I had any interest in a building he listed over that way. Never came up though...
This post is confusing

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 7:13 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
The no-build option.

Simply decline to approve more than 2000 dwelling units, or more than 100,000 sf of office, and certainly decline to approve any sports venue. If Sterling Bay complains, remind them that they purchased land in a PMD, with no transit access. Therefore, they should be grateful that townhouses and midrises are permitted.

You want to build a new downtown? Choose a site that's served by transit.
That's what I've been thinking for the last few months now. This project on the whole is objectively bad for the city, and I'd be happy for this to fail if it meant the 78 and Tribune site megaprojects were developed along with the continued thriving West Loop developments.

As the urban politician mentioned, this place is going to cannibalize off other city projects and that's just bad city planning.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
this place is going to cannibalize off other city projects and that's just bad city planning.
Not to mention other live music/theater venues.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 7:42 PM

To clarify - I have a friend that does commercial brokerage. I met with said friend this weekend to live the good life. Friend mentioned he has an acquaintance who knows a guy at Amazon. Friend's acquaintance said this Amazon employee is on their Real Estate team. Amazon employee told friend's acquaintance that Amazon was going to make a push for HQ2 @ Lincoln Yards. Friend told me and I'm sharing that rumor with all of you

I assumed he was telling me this to get me interested in a property he has listed on the North Branch...bait me into buying before the gold rush. I have no reason to trust his source and even less reason to buy the property. Known the guy for years, so don't think he'd outright lie to me, but not getting my hopes up.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
To clarify - I have a friend that does commercial brokerage. I met with said friend this weekend to live the good life. Friend mentioned he has an acquaintance who knows a guy at Amazon. Friend's acquaintance said this Amazon employee is on their Real Estate team. Amazon employee told friend's acquaintance that Amazon was going to make a push for HQ2 @ Lincoln Yards. Friend told me and I'm sharing that rumor with all of you

I assumed he was telling me this to get me interested in a property he has listed on the North Branch...bait me into buying before the gold rush. I have no reason to trust his source and even less reason to buy the property. Known the guy for years, so don't think he'd outright lie to me, but not getting my hopes up.
sounds pretty serious

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
sounds pretty serious
Lol, I had a similar reaction when he shared the news. It wasn’t meant to be taken as anything but a rumor. He’s not a loquacious person, so I believe him when he says that’s what he was told. Doesn’t make it true.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 8:44 PM

It said rumor is true, isn't it kind of jeopardizing things by putting it on here? Or am I missing something...?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It said rumor is true, isn't it kind of jeopardizing things by putting it on here? Or am I missing something...?
Fair point, but have you seen what Atl3000 has been posting? If they’re coming no amount of speculation in this thread will change that. If it does they were never serious about it.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 9:04 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Lol, I doubt Amazon is going to hinge their decision on whether to choose Chicago(or not) because we post a rumor about it on some obscure skyscraper nerd page

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Lol, I doubt Amazon is going to hinge their decision on whether to choose Chicago(or not) because we post a rumor about it on some obscure skyscraper nerd page
nah, I read on some blog that amazon wants to be near the "corridors of power" which apparently is somewhere near Washington D.C.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
We can build more subway. It's just terrifically more expensive than building wastewater tunnels because you need things like stations, life safety equipment, track, signals, traction power, etc.
This is true. But what about extending the L track? For example, CTA could build a new L track on Webster Ave where the track would diverge between the Armitage and Fullerton stations. It could be a new color line. The L track could circle around the Lincoln Yard with two or three stops. Wouldn’t that be more affordable than digging and building a subway tunnel?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 9:20 PM
Show me the blueprints

People it's Philadelphia. Get used to it. You have a city with world class potential, major cool factor, affordable real estate and a dev site literally on top of a regional transportation hub with quick connections to NY and DC - the corridor of power.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
nah, I read on some blog that amazon wants to be near the "corridors of power" which apparently is somewhere near Washington D.C.
Lol...yeah the same people who claim Bezos is going to be there because he has a mansion there. Life is a lot different when you are a multi billionaire. To be powerful in government, you don't need to live in DC if you have billions. There are arguably more powerful people living in NYC than DC in some ways. If this was really a big deal, you would have seen a bunch move to DC. It hasn't happened. I think the people who think these things don't truly understand that the world is different with those amounts of money and they think in terms of how they would do it if it was them on their money, not billions.

Bezos is going to put hq2 in an area that's best for the business. To influence DC, you don't have to live there. With his money, it really doesn't matter as much. He could snap his fingers and get a private jet right now. This isn't the common person needing to plan a trip to a city a month in advance. Life is much different down to travel from one place to another.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Don't discount that some people in media may read our posts. A journalist desperate for a story could use it. That's what I'm more afraid of, not the post itself.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 9:36 PM
The City

Quote:
Lol...yeah the same people who claim Bezos is going to be there because he has a mansion there. Life is a lot different when you are a multi billionaire. To be powerful in government, you don't need to live in DC if you have billions. There are arguably more powerful people living in NYC than DC in some ways.
^ Heck, there are more wealthy and powerful people living in the Chicago area than DC these days. Same with LA

Point being, locating an entire company's HQ near DC to be near "powerful lawmakers" is a dumb idea. All you need is a good lobbying office. Lets not forget that congressmen are still strongly held to their obligations to their home states, not some company based in Virginia or Maryland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development