HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 9:13 PM

CFL 2012 season

I am glad to begin this thread!
To start off how will Toronto fair hosting the 100th Grey Cup, are the Als and Calvaillo too old and have they lost too many assistant coaches now?
Can the Argos become respectable again and draw better crowds?
Will Wally coach again?
Can swaggerville climb the next step while in their beautiful new stadium?
How will the league wide new uniforms in 2012 look?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 1:44 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I am glad to begin this thread!
To start off how will Toronto fair hosting the 100th Grey Cup, are the Als and Calvaillo too old and have they lost too many assistant coaches now?
Can the Argos become respectable again and draw better crowds?
Will Wally coach again?
Can swaggerville climb the next step while in their beautiful new stadium?
How will the league wide new uniforms in 2012 look?
It's going to be an interesting season, to say the least. Toronto really needs to get their act together, but I'm not confident they'll pull it off. The last Grey Cup in Toronto got lost in the city; it didn't help matters that they had no presence downtown instead opting to concentrate everything next to the Skydome.

Maybe Burris heading to Toronto can turn things around, but what Toronto really needs besides a decent stadium is a likable star like Lulay. It wasn't hard to get behind Lulay and the Lions. Winning helps, but you need personalities that people like and can identify with.

Winnipeg really impressed last season, and I hope they get stronger next year. The Argonauts don't look likely to be competitive, but people said that about the Bombers last year.

League uniforms? I'm anxiously awaiting that too. They really need to do a better job with merchandising, logos, colours, branding, etc. I'd buy stuff if it looked better. Most of the stuff is just awful.

I hope one day they'll roll out CFL stores across Canada so I can stop having to buy online.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 11:16 PM

I actually don't expect Burris in T.O. now more in Hamilton rumor is Argos will go hard after Montreal's backup McPherson who is pretty good and has learned under the master Calvillo just like in 1999 when Calvillo learned under Tracy Ham to become who he is today. Another rumor is the league will revert to a more 80's style unis especially with the Argos going back to the old Boat logo from the 80's and the Bombers going back to the simple and classic capital W. The worse unis right now have to be Hamilton's and then Calgary's a close second with the stupid piping and nascar style numbers.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 1:39 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
The worse unis right now have to be Hamilton's and then Calgary's a close second with the stupid piping and nascar style numbers.
Until Winnipeg goes back to the brighter blue unis (which may be the best), their darks are about 3rd worst (still better than BC and Toronto home uniforms). BC's orange ones are my least favourite though; it's a look I'd expect to see picking up garbage along the highway, not on the field.

Calgary has worn a couple retro sets over the last two years that I really like. Last year it looked like the Crimson Tide with the numbers on the helmets, and this year the red with gold stripes on the pants. They were awesome. I hope they lose the black helmets next year though.

For the most part, the white uniforms are fine for all teams, but they'll never be as nice as the best home ones.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 4:22 AM

^ Really? I like those BC oranges

Though I agree, the Navy Blue Winnipeg jerseys are not as good as the Royal Blue's

I agree that the Stamps do a great job with jerseys. Riders do too.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 5:40 PM

Huge CFL news already good on the Argos for making waves and trying to recapture interest in the Argos. Ricky Ray is an Argo wow!

http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=382540

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 6:03 PM

I guess Tillman is gunning for Burris.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 6:27 PM

Jesus, I hope not.

If the Eskimos end up with Burris and Kerry Joseph for quarterbacks next year, I am going to punch a kitten.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 6:31 PM
DRINK

what other QB's are free agents? I don't think the esks make this move unless they think they can upgrade.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
Jesus, I hope not.

If the Eskimos end up with Burris and Kerry Joseph for quarterbacks next year, I am going to punch a kitten.
Jyles and Joseph.. 2 failed Argos quarterbacks.

Though to be honest I actually was surprisingly impressed with Jyles when he took over for Lemon this season, I found he was a great running quarterback. Passing on the other hand..

Ray is old but so was Allen when he joined the Argos in 2003.. Hopefully the results will be similar.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 6:39 PM

McPherson in Montreal asked for a trade according to sportsnet and Edmonton traded Ray to save money to sign Andy Fantuz who is looking for big money in the $300,000 range.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 6:54 PM
Dont let the name fool u

I'm really surprised the Eskimos made this trade. Having said that, Tillman has a precedent of dumping guys right before there best before date. I still think Ricky has lots of years in him, but Tillman did trade Kerry Joseph after winning the Grey Cup in 2007 to the argos and that proved to be a good trade for Saskatchewan. I have a feeling this won't be as bad of a trade for Edmonton as it appears at first glance. Tillman is just too smart for that.

In any event, the argos are making some good moves and finally appear to be having some sort of direction. If they can acquire some receivers in free agency, they could have a resurgence next year.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 7:02 PM

Will be funny to watch Burris go to Edmonton, that should make the BofA a little more interesting next year. Still surprised Edmonton let Ray go, he had a pretty good year this year.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 8:18 PM

Maybe Tilman did this to try to get Fantuz for the Esks?

Cap space is solid.

Jyles has always had flashes of brilliance, but I dunno.

Ray is only 32...he's still got some mileage. IMO, so far, not a good trade for the Esks. But you never know what Tilman might know, and he's a good GM. So I wouldn't doubt his moves.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Will be funny to watch Burris go to Edmonton
No, that wouldn't be funny at all.

:stern:

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 9:59 PM

Burris is awesome when he's on his game, and trying to prove himself in Edmonton, he will probably play very well (assuming that's where he ends up).

Calgary locked up Cornish today, I wonder where that leaves Reynolds...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 11:41 PM

While Toronto still has some work to do (keeping an OL intact to ensure Ricky is one his feet and not his ass), it appears as though the East will be mighty competitive next year.

I imagine Edmonton trading Ray, is just Tillman gearing up for a run at Fantuz. Last time Tillman dumped a well-regarded QB, he ended up looking good (Joseph to T.O.)...

As far as the Bombers go, really hoping nobody steals DC Tim Burke, and that we manage to retain the services of WR Greg Carr.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 4:04 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Glad to hear about the uniform overhaul next season - the retros are consistantly better than the current ones.
The Stamps went from one of the leagues best uni's (IMO) to one of the worst when rebok did thier roll out. Really hope Winnipeg returns to the classic blues they wore a few times this year as they open the new stadium.

Good on the Argos getting Ricky Ray - I think he has some very good years left. I'm worried that Tillman has something else up his sleeve that he is just clearing cap space for ?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 4:06 AM

I am not a huge Carr fan too many drops and receivers are pretty easy to replace with the thousands of u.s. college programs. I hope Fantuz goes to Toronto since he is a good guy to market around in T.O. with Fantuz flakes and all. 100TH Grey Cup should be awesome though they sold 10,000 tickets in the first 21 hours and the system crashed. There will be a CFL film festival like the Toronto International film fest which is awesome and they combined the Santa Claus parade with the Grey Cup parade which will provide more recognition to the league in T.O.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 4:09 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

^ Sounds like some smart moves regarding GC 100 in TO, and some encouraging ticket sales.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada