HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 29, 2014, 5:41 PM
I am a typical

90 MRIs for 2 million people?? That seems like a bit much.

I mean it's probably ideal but my city has only 2 or 3 for 250,000 in the region, that would scale up to only about 20 MRIs.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2014, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
22 provinces and territories:

- Nunavut (capital - Iqaluit)
- Northwest Territories (capital - Yellowknife)
- Yukon (capital - Whitehorse)
- Vancouver Island (capital - Victoria)
- British Columbia (capital - Vancouver)
- Cascadia (capital - Prince George)
- Alberta (capital - Calgary)
- Athabaska (capital - Edmonton)
- South Saskatchewan (capital - Regina)
- North Saskatchewan (capital - Saskatoon)
- Manitoba (capital - Winnipeg)
- Atikokan (capital - Thunder Bay)
- Nipissing (capital - North Bay)
- Ontario (capital - Ottawa)
- Laurentia (capital - Montreal)
- Quebec (capital - Quebec City)
- Gaspe (capital - Rimouski)
- New Brunswick (capital - Fredericton)
- Prince Edward Island (capital - Charlottetown)
- Nova Scotia (capital - Halifax)
- Newfoundland (capital - St. John's)
- Labrador (capital - Goose Bay)

Of course I would be open to expanding the federation to include the Turks & Caicos. I would also like to actively lobby for the inclusion of Bermuda as well, especially since there are deep and meaningful ties between Bermuda and the Maritime Provinces.
I really think we'd be better off letting Cape Breton become it's own province as opposed to Labrador. The entirety of Labrador has less people than Sydney alone and Labrador City is really little more than a workcamp for islanders.

Having lived in Cape Breton and still considering it a second home, it's where my Mom's family comes from, I think CB would do well for itself if it were in control of itself. Maybe not totally autonomous, but as a part of a Maritime Union which shared services with NS, NB & PEI for things like health, and allowed the provinces to maintain a form of independance and control their own resources and development.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2014, 9:30 PM
Ach, du.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
The internet is such a weird place. Why am I sitting here defending a country that doesn't exist and to which I have no connection or vested interest?
It's kind of our thing.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2014, 10:15 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
I really think we'd be better off letting Cape Breton become it's own province as opposed to Labrador. The entirety of Labrador has less people than Sydney alone and Labrador City is really little more than a workcamp for islanders.

Having lived in Cape Breton and still considering it a second home, it's where my Mom's family comes from, I think CB would do well for itself if it were in control of itself. Maybe not totally autonomous, but as a part of a Maritime Union which shared services with NS, NB & PEI for things like health, and allowed the provinces to maintain a form of independance and control their own resources and development.
I'd agree regarding Labrador - not to say it must remain with Newfoundland (which is what I believe), we're speaking hypothetically. But Labrador as a political entity shouldn't be what's carved away.

Some form of union between the territories like the Maritime one you suggest for that provinces would be ideal, and then the Nunatsiavut portion of Labrador could become its own territory.

The rest of Labrador would remain with Newfoundland, but with strong Metis autonomy

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Agreed, Michigan is very American, for better or worse. If Michigan were never apart of the US, it would be a completely different place with a completely different culture. It isn't like Vermont or Maine or Washington.
Yep, with what I know of my travels over the years both throughout Canada and the US I am fairly confident that the easiest border area to seamlessly absorb would be metro Burlington VT, grafting it to the existing Anglo Québécois culture. (Or maybe Eastern Ontario's, that'd likely work too.)

(The Québécois would likely be frowning upon that fresh infusion of new Anglos, though.)

Michigan (eastern, not the UP) is probably THE place along the border where the border shock factor is the greatest. (Or else rural southwestern Quebec to rural northcentral New York, especially factoring language.)

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I'd agree regarding Labrador - not to say it must remain with Newfoundland (which is what I believe), we're speaking hypothetically. But Labrador as a political entity shouldn't be what's carved away.

Some form of union between the territories like the Maritime one you suggest for that provinces would be ideal, and then the Nunatsiavut portion of Labrador could become its own territory.

The rest of Labrador would remain with Newfoundland, but with strong Metis autonomy
I'm saying this from the most neutral point of view possible: I think it would make sense for the people of Labrador and Northern Quebec to be part of the same entity.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I meant, the BC Peace region up till the Continental Divide so that it's flush with Jasper and Banff. It makes sense from a cultural standpoint, as the area seems more tied to Alberta and gives more of an Albertan feel in terms of geography, urban form, and politics.
Could Peace River voters eventually vote to secede from BC and join Alberta?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Yep, with what I know of my travels over the years both throughout Canada and the US I am fairly confident that the easiest border area to seamlessly absorb would be metro Burlington VT, grafting it to the existing Anglo Québécois culture. (Or maybe Eastern Ontario's, that'd likely work too.)

(The Québécois would likely be frowning upon that fresh infusion of new Anglos, though.)

Michigan (eastern, not the UP) is probably THE place along the border where the border shock factor is the greatest. (Or else rural southwestern Quebec to rural northcentral New York, especially factoring language.)
Western WA and OR (aka Cascadia), Minnesota, parts of New England, and maybe Wisconsin are the places that would likely be the best fit for joining Canada if it were ever to come to that. These are the areas that have the most in common with us, culturally.

I would say Alaska too if it weren't so conservative. Same with Idaho.

Quote:
Could Peace River voters eventually vote to secede from BC and join Alberta?
To be honest, I'm not sure. It'd depend on whether the BC government would allow it, I guess. I'm sure it's similar to Quebec and Nunavik.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 3:06 AM

Quote:
I would say Alaska too if it weren't so conservative. Same with Idaho.
Actually, good point: any empty parts of Alaska touching Yukon would be absolutely perfect fits...

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 3:07 AM

Quote:
To be honest, I'm not sure. It'd depend on whether the BC government would allow it, I guess. I'm sure it's similar to Quebec and Nunavik.
The likely process would be that Victoria obviously says no, but if the movement is powerful enough/lasting enough/legitimate enough, and everyone else, including the Feds, gets behind the Peaceriverians and supports them, the BC govt would probably have to give in (not literally have to, but the pressure would just be so high that they would decide to).

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 3:08 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

The francophone population of New Brunswick could be boosted by annexing the Madawaska and Fort Kent area in northern Maine!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 4:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt View Post
East Coast could benefit from some re-arranging. While I wouldn't merge the provinces because they are culturally diverse, some of the departments could be merged to work as a single unit.

Healthcare and the judicial systems stand out for having a high cost per capita relative to larger provinces without offering more or better service. Economies of scale from a combined East Coast Healthcare may amount to billions per year. Some of this is just from having more leverage for negotiations with vendors (order 90 MRI machines versus 3 orders for 30).
You really don't get it do you.

If theories of economy of scale were embraced, the east coast would have to be abandoned.

The economic dogma is so disconnected from the actual country its absurd.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 4:57 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
I'm saying this from the most neutral point of view possible: I think it would make sense for the people of Labrador and Northern Quebec to be part of the same entity.
Oh, absolutely. Doesn't even need to be neutral for that.

The fact there are any divisions of the north at all is because of white folks.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada