HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 18, 2006, 1:57 PM
Me?!?

No prob, Chris, anytime.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2006, 1:59 PM
Me?!?

I just knew the NIMBYs would crawl out of the woodwork for this one. Gee, I am sure sorry for a CITY trying to be a CITY.

Prospect of built-up Front St. spurs fears

Midtown residents say zoning plan portends lost views, more traffic

Wednesday, April 19, 2006
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Mike "Chile" Kienzle is worried about losing his view of the Susquehanna River, which he now can ponder in all its glory from his Sayford Street living room.

Betsy Dum is concerned about adding to the traffic on Front Street. It takes her as long as 15 minutes to wait for a lull in the cars barreling down Front and turning from side streets when she tries to visit Riverfront Park.

Maria Ferenbaugh just doesn't want to lose her morning sunlight.

All three live near Front Street in Harrisburg's midtown. All voiced major concerns about the city's plan to open a portion of the historic street to hotels, restaurants and 110-foot-high condo buildings.

"I'm very concerned about this because I live there," said Dum, of the first block of Calder Street. "What would it do to our property values and our environment? The traffic is difficult now without a 110-foot building."

Added Ferenbaugh, also of the first block of Calder: "We would be in the shadow of this tall building."

Residents with traffic concerns and vistas to protect voiced their concerns at a public hearing on the zoning changes held last night by City Council.

A second hearing is set for 6 p.m. May 16, and committee Chairman Dan Miller promises more discussion before a vote on the measure.

The zoning changes to allow restaurants, hotels and high-rises would apply only to an eight-block portion of Front Street, between Verbeke and Maclay streets.

City officials said the changes, particularly raising the height limit from 45 to 110 feet, are necessary to spur development of several vacant or underutilized parcels in that area, including a large vacant lot at Verbeke and Front streets.

But Building and Housing Director Dan Leppo also pointed out that the proposal would safeguard Front Street's history by protecting its old mansions and grand homes.

The ordinance stipulates that developers could not bulldoze pre-1950 buildings to make way for hotels, restaurants or condos.

Some of Front Street's older buildings have been demolished and replaced. Others have been converted into offices or apartments. There are no restaurants or hotels there.

"We are not interested in seeing fast-food restaurants up and down Front Street," Leppo said. "But we are interested in making use of the views that we have there."

David Zwifka, director of Historic Harrisburg Association, said his group isn't opposed to the zoning changes but cautioned a careful review for each project.

He added that the plan's restrictions could make its impact minimal.

Besides the lot at Front and Verbeke, the zoning changes would have an immediate impact on a plan to develop the Tracy Mansion into a restaurant and up to 50 condos.

Susquehanna Real Estate hopes to build the condominiums with a starting price of $300,000 each at 1829 N. Front St., but city officials said the project is awaiting the proposed zoning changes.

Not all residents are against the plan.

Dave Robertson, representing the neighborhood development group Friends of Midtown, said he supported the Tracy Mansion project.

Jim Woland said development of Front Street is exactly what the city needs, even if it means a high-rise on Verbeke, the street where he lives.

"I have no problem with a building on Verbeke Street going up to 110 feet," he said.

Yet nearby neighbor Kienzle is reluctant to sacrifice his river views.

"We have enough restaurants downtown," he said. "I think people would agree with that. We don't want to see Front Street changed."

Old Posted Apr 19, 2006, 2:03 PM
Me?!?

I don't know what else people need to see as proof that THE GOVERNMENT DOES NOT CARE ABOUT US! It is blantantly obvious again with this issue...

Courthouse would destroy communities, residents say

BY JACK SHERZER
Of The Patriot-News

The meeting's announced topic was building a new federal courthouse in Harrisburg, but the comments were about destruction.

Destruction of one of the three neighborhoods being considered for the building. Destruction of homes and businesses. Destruction of a way of life.

More than 150 people endured a hot and humid public hearing held by the U.S. General Services Administration in the Benjamin Franklin Elementary School on North Sixth Street to protest what some called a callous disregard by the federal government for citizens.

"I have concerns with all three sites. This is more than a neighborhood issue. This is a community issue," said Staci Basore of the 200 block of North Street. "I can't believe with all the blighted areas and vacant areas that we cannot find a site without displacing a single resident."

"It makes me angry," said Bruce Weber of the 600 block of Boas Street.

"It clearly reeks of an out-of-touch federal government that wants to build a courthouse of convenience and doesn't care about the culture and the community," Weber said.

Federal officials say they need a new building with a minimum of eight courtrooms on at least 2.5 acres, to allow 50- to 100-foot security setbacks. The courthouse on Third Street between Walnut and Locust streets would still be used by noncourt government agencies.

A site should be selected by this summer, officials said.

Federal officials also want a building convenient to downtown and outside the 100-year floodplain. After considering 25 sites, the GSA narrowed the focus to three. Each plan would displace residents.

A brief GSA presentation at the meeting's start gave a glimpse of the disruption. The North Third and Forster streets site has 79 residences; North Sixth and Verbeke has 108 apartments (including the Cumberland Court Apartments); and North Sixth and Basin has 146 occupied apartments (Jackson-Lick Apartment Towers).

City officials aren't fans of the proposed sites either.

Randy King, Mayor Stephen R. Reed's spokesman, said the city would prefer a site at the southern end of downtown as an anchor for the proposed southern gateway project. The other preferable site, he said, would be vacant, ready-to-develop land along North Sixth Street between Reily and Maclay streets.

Of the three sites proposed by the GSA, King said, city officials believe the Sixth and Basin location would do the least harm. Only one of the two Jackson-Lick towers is occupied, and relocating about 140 residents would be less difficult than relocating those in Cumberland Court.

"Plus, the Jackson-Lick site is still close enough to those developable areas farther to the north on Sixth Street, our second preferred site, that it could serve as a catalyst for new and additional economic development in the same target area," King said.

Clare Jones, president of the Greater Harrisburg Area Branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said being forced to move could kill some of the elderly residents in the Jackson-Lick apartments. If that site is chosen, the government should ensure that a safety net of services follows the residents, she said.

"We expect them to be terrified," Jones said, urging people to contact lawmakers to oppose the courthouse plans. "They are going to lose everything."

Matt Simmons of the 200 block of Briggs Street, a spokesman for the Capital Area Neighbors community group, said he was heartened to see the community coming out as a whole to help everyone who might be hurt.

"I've not seen neighbor fighting neighbor," Simmons said. "I've seen a community come together and say not in my backyard and not in my neighbor's backyard, because that's not right, either."

Old Posted Apr 19, 2006, 2:06 PM
Me?!?

Well it's finally over and the people beat Wal-Mart this time around!

Wal-Mart abandons plans for church site

BY REGGIE SHEFFIELD
Of The Patriot-News

Opponents to a Wal-Mart planned for the site of The Holy Name of Jesus Roman Catholic Church in Lower Paxton Twp. might be thinking that the Lord works in mysterious ways.

From a letter sent to parishioners last week, churchgoers learned that the developers of a planned 223,806-square-foot Wal-Mart near the corner of Route 22 and Blue Ribbon Avenue decided to pull out of the plan.

Laurie Smalling, a spokeswoman for Wal-Mart, confirmed the demise of the plan.

"We did try to make this project plausible by working with the church and others involved," she said. "It was really a collective process. But at this point we have decided that this project is not plausible and will not be moving forward."

Almost three years ago, Wal-Mart announced plans to give the crowded church $12 million so it could move to a roomier 110-acre site in West Hanover Twp. owned by the Catholic Diocese of Harrisburg.

A group of Lower Paxton residents opposed the prospect of a Wal-Mart in the increasingly busy area.

"We're very pleased with the outcome of this and hopefully the Catholic church will decide to stay and remodel what they have there," said attorney Steven R. Snyder, who was representing the Lower Paxton Residents For Responsible Growth. "They're a good neighbor. We'd rather see them there than a big-box store."

The Rev. Msgr. Robert E. Lawrence said that his church would now go back to its planning committee and decide its next move.

Lawrence said that the church's contract with the developer, THF Realty Inc., was set to expire last Saturday.

Lawrence said an April 11 e-mail from THF said, "Unfortunately, this deal could not be put together for a variety of reasons. THF appreciates the hard work that everyone put forth, but sometimes success cannot be achieved."

The church, which serves 8,500 parishioners and 550 students, wants to build a structure that would seat 1,800 people, double its current capacity. It also wants to build a school, a rectory, athletic fields and other amenities at Sterling and Oak Grove roads.

Legal challenges had put the project on hold while building prices, in part driven skyward by Hurricane Katrina, continued to climb.

The world's largest retailer wanted to start building two summers ago after it received conditional approval from Lower Paxton Twp., but the deal ended up in court after the township later rejected the plan. That litigation is still pending and could be resolved out of court.

"Whether the judge will continue on with his review and give an opinion, I don't know. We would argue that the issue is moot at this point," Snyder said.

A group of West Hanover residents also was relieved.

"We think this is a win for West Hanover Twp. and the quality of life there that doesn't involve extensive amounts of traffic, noise and light pollution in what is a beautiful area," said attorney Nathan C. Wolf of Concerned Citizens of West Hanover.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2006, 2:52 PM
Me?!?

I figured the courthouse issue was worth sharing:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=103939

Old Posted Apr 20, 2006, 1:29 PM
Me?!?

It's nice to see Lower Allen, which is growing like a weed, interested in smarter growth.

Township to add 2 options for builders

Plan to add 2 development concepts

Thursday, April 20, 2006
BY CHRIS A. COUROGEN
Of The Patriot-News

Lower Allen Twp. will make two land development concepts available to builders when it updates its subdivision and land development ordinances this year.

The first idea, conservation subdivision, is a revision on the cluster-development concept that was in vogue in the 1980s and '90s.

The second, traditional neighborhood, is more of a retro philosophy, harkening to the days when people lived in towns that had businesses and services within walking distance.

The revised ordinances will complement the township's comprehensive plan, which is in the process of being approved.

"They kind of go together. Once you adopt a comprehensive plan, the next logical step is the ordinances," said Dan Flint, township engineer and community development director.

The comprehensive plan has been written and vetted through public hearings. The ordinances are still in the theoretical stage. The township recently posted a request for proposals for a consultant to help write them.

Conservation subdivision is envisioned as an overlay for certain residential districts. The basic premise is to create smaller building lots while preserving open space in larger parcels, Flint said. Developers are encouraged to identify natural resources and to build around them.

"The whole idea is to put conservation at the forefront of how you lay out a subdivision. It creates better development," Cumberland County Planning Director Kirk Stoner said. The county planning commission has endorsed the use of the concept throughout the county.

Traditional neighborhood development is a mixed-use concept, with retail and business development mixed with residential, similar to the downtowns of the past. The traditional neighborhood concept saves land by promoting higher density, with people living in walking distance of shops and services.

"You don't have to jump in your car and drive everywhere. Amenities are right at your front door," Stoner said.

The revised ordinances are expected to set landscaping and planting standards for some forms of development and to set standards for the network of trails the township is developing. That trail system is being developed in pieces over a number of years. The standards will ensure consistency, Flint said.

Flint said the township hopes to complete the ordinance update this year. After the ordinances have been drafted, they will be advertised and the public will be given an opportunity to comment before they are finalized.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2006, 1:32 PM
Me?!?

Credit union to sell properties

City has approved site for development

Thursday, April 20, 2006
BY DAVID DeKOK
Of The Patriot-News

Downtown Harrisburg, where Mayor Stephen R. Reed once couldn't give land away, is about to see yet another major development project.

Lonny Maurer, president and CEO of Belco Community Credit Union, confirmed yesterday that Belco is negotiating to sell its headquarters building and several other properties it owns or has options to buy on the east side of the 400 block of North Second Street for development into a mixed-use office, commercial and possibly residential project.

"There has been tremendous interest in it," he said.

No potential buyer has been identified.

The city planning office has approved a development plan for the site, and Reed views the imminent deal as affirmation of positive trends he sees in the city.

"I don't think it will be on the market very long," Reed said. "There is a lot of pent-up demand for Class B+ and Class A [the best] office space in the downtown area. I can tell you, the development community is not keeping pace with present and projected demand for downtown space. The pickings are slim."

The 400 block of North Second Street runs between State and Spring streets and adjoins a parking garage that is under construction. Sale of the property is being handled by Thomas T. Posavec and Chuck Heller of Landmark Commercial Realty Inc. in Lemoyne.

Belco's headquarters building at 403-407 N. Second St. would be reused, as would a restored brick Victorian house next door used by Belco for office space. Although the credit union would move its headquarters functions to the former Waypoint Bank operations center in Swatara Twp., next to the TecPort business center, it would keep a branch office on North Second Street.

Posavec said a parking lot at 409-415 N. Second St. -- site of the former State Restaurant -- would be filled in with new but historic-style commercial construction.

Belco has an option to buy three buildings at 417, 419 and 421 N. Second St. owned by Louis Harbilas and his brother. Those buildings would probably be torn down and replaced with historically appropriate construction.

The sale price for the properties Belco owns is $3.85 million, Posavec said. The prices for the three buildings that the credit union has options to buy will be determined after appraisals, he said.

"This is right in the middle of everything that is happening," Reed said.

The mayor famously once gave away 3.2 acres of land at Fifth and Walnut streets, only to have the developer give it back.

The Forum Place office building later was built on the property and passed into ownership of the Dauphin County General Authority.

Reed believes the future of downtown development is south of Market Street. He says he will unveil more details of his plan to redevelop that area within 30 days. Streets would be rerouted and at least one building demolished as part of his vision.

/\
VERY interesting news, and like typical Reed, he has all sorts of surprises up his sleeve!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2006, 4:33 AM

i guess that's good news, but what does "replaced with historically appropriate construction" really mean? are they talking about those 2/3 buildings housing the bartending school and upholsterer? they seem historical enough...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2006, 2:37 PM
Me?!?

I am guessing they mean the buildings will have to blend in with their surroundings perfectly.

HACC announced today they will be opening a Midtown campus. NOW we are talking, with HACC in Midtown and Sci-Tech HS & Univ. downtown! HBG will be adding a huge chunk I always felt it was missing in the past: students.

Final phase of TecPort to start

Friday, April 21, 2006
BY DAN MILLER
Of The Patriot-News

Crossgates Inc. plans to soon begin the third and final phase of development at TecPort Business Center, the 102-acre office and retailing complex on the former AMP Inc. campus in Swatara Twp.

The last phase will include up to seven buildings on seven lots in the southern third of the complex, along Harrisburg Street and Chambers Hill Road.

Up to six professional office buildings are planned, said Diane Voda, vice presi dent of Crossgates. A bank and restaurant would be constructed on the seventh lot in the southwestern corner of TecPort at Friendship Road and Harrisburg Street, also known as Route 441.

Voda said negotiations with prospective tenants for the space are continuing, but no agreements are in place. Fewer than six office buildings might be constructed, depending on what tenants want.

"We can combine the lots and meet requirements of some office users who may have a requirement" for a bigger building, Voda said.

Crossgates typically constructs each building to meet the specifications of tenants, which then lease the space from Crossgates. However, a company can buy a lot and own its building.

Voda said work should begin in June or July on a new road, Portview Drive, that will extend from just north of Friendship Road and Route 441. Portview Drive is to provide access to the new buildings and connect to TecPort Drive and the rest of the business center.

The new portion will have a walking trail to connect with other trails in TecPort. The trail also will connect to the Harrisburg Green Belt.

The TecPort complex north to Paxton Street is almost complete. Voda said ground will be broken in May for a Hilton Garden Inn just south of Homewood Suites and TecPort Retail Center.

The middle portion of TecPort is anchored by two similar office buildings -- Capital BlueCross to the east and Health America to the west.

The stretch of TecPort along Paxton Street is mostly retail operations, including Sheetz, Faulkner Nissan and Ruby Tuesday. The new $20 million operations center for Commerce Bank/Harrisburg also is in that area.

Voda said space in the completed portions of TecPort is almost fully occupied. About 6,500 square feet is available in the retail center, and 6,000 square feet in the Crossgates office building along Friendship Road. The office space is leasing for $14.95 per square foot.

Crossgates has invested nearly $60 million in TecPort, and businesses in the center employ about 2,500 people, spokeswoman Terri Shapiro said. The final phase will cost another $30 million and bring up to 2,000 more jobs.

Subdivision and land-development plans for the last phase will be before Swatara Twp. commissioners for final approval in May, Voda said. Plans for each building also must go before the township as each building is developed.

Swatara Twp. Administrator Paul Cornell could not be reached for comment.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2006, 2:38 PM
Me?!?

MEDICAL RESEARCH

Ground broken for center

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Ground was broken yesterday for a research center that Gov. Ed Rendell predicts will create 720 jobs.

The Hershey Center for Applied Research is across Bullfrog Valley Road from Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center in Derry Twp. The project received a $2.5 million grant and a $2.5 million loan from the state.

The center, expected to be completed next year, will provide medical research resources for new high-tech ventures, including some originating at the medical center.

The first building will have 80,000 square feet, and plans call for more buildings later. The total cost of the center is estimated at $46.9 million.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2006, 5:48 PM
Me?!?

Here is the story (complete with video) about HACC's new Midtown Campus, which will be located on N 3rd St. near the Midtown Cinema in the old Evangelical Press building:

http://www.abc27.com/news/stories/0406/321197.html

Hmm, this will be right near the cinema, there are new restaurants in the area, a possible lift on the height restrictions in the area...sure sounds like a boom is about to happen in Midtown!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2006, 6:43 PM

Corridor One Deal

Good news on moving forward with CorridorOne...too bad the West Shore is getting the shaft by it's own commissioners.

Corridor One agreement approved
Julia Taylor
Central Penn Business Journal Staff
4/21/2006

Cumberland County finally settled its tug-of-war over the proposed Corridor One commuter rail line. The final version of the deal, first offered by Cumberland County commissioners in February, calls for the county to give $500,000 to MTP for an underpass in Lemoyne. In exchange, the county will be removed from Corridor One’s plans.
Original plans would have created a rail line from Lancaster to East Mechanicsburg, Cumberland County. This deal means the line will end on City Island. The Harrisburg Area Transportation Study, a group of public and private transportation officials, approved the agreement at its board meeting this morning.

“This means that we can get Corridor One operating by 2008, takes away the opposition from Cumberland County and start running our trains,” said Gerry Morrison, president of the board of Modern Transit Partnership, the nonprofit developer of Corridor One. The deal also stipulates that rail-transit funding will be kept in different coffers from other transit funding.

“Rail is by far the most expensive form of mass transit, and we don’t want our (county’s transit) contributions cannibalized for rail funding,” said Rick Rovegno, Cumberland County commissioner.

Modern Transit Partnership is also pushing ahead on Corridor Two, which will stretch from Harrisburg to Lebanon. Hershey companies are working on Hershey Intermodal Transportation Center, a planned stop on Corridor Two. They have offered to help fund engineering studies for Corridor Two, Morrison said.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2006, 12:32 AM
joining the rail club

^ i've been betting for awhile now that Corridor Two would be developed long before the Cumberland leg. there is just too much opposition on the west shore for such a progressive project...but the east shore is a perfect fit and has much more support for this initiative. the hummelstown, hershey, lebanon leg would be very beneficial IMO and would probably draw enough ridership numbers within a few years of opperation that the Cumberland county commissioners would be forced to reopen thoughts on extending rail into the eastern portion of the county. it's really just a matter of time...and MTP realizes this, which is why they backed down from the deal with the stipulation of creating an underpass in Lemoyne for future commuter rail development. another 10 years and we will see commuter rail on the west shore.

as far as the east shore extension goes, i would really like to see it run into lebanon and even into berks county...linking up with the schuylkill valley metro/SEPTA line which will terminate in Wyomissing. a further extension from lancaster to thorndale/SEPTA R5 line would also be beneficial IMO and spur more local ridership, as well as making it possible for Amtrak to run high speed trains with few stops along the keystone corridor. this concept has been in the planning stages for years but commuter rail could definately make it a reality.

Last edited by wrightchr; Apr 22, 2006 at 12:38 AM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2006, 3:23 AM
Me?!?

/\
I agree, Chris, and I would LOVE to see a total regional system that connects Southcentral and Southeastern PA.

What cracks me up about the boneheads in Cumberland Co. is that the county is changing FAST and they don't seem to notice. Traffic is getting worse by the minute, the county is not as affluent as it once was (ESPECIALLY in the eastern fringes) and is quickly becoming more lower/middle-class, as the river isn't much of a divide to the younger generations and newcomers to the area, etc. Also, it seems as if the tide is turning again on the east shore thanks to projects such as TecPort and it is starting to win the war when it comes to new businesses. The people in Cumberland Co. will need to get to these jobs, PERIOD, and the high gas prices will make transit even more important.

Honestly I don't feel that all hope is lost, though, and I do think the Commissioners will come to their senses. PA seems to be all about change these days thanks to absolute disgust for our leaders, and I don't think the people will leave a lot of these folks in there the next time around, and some new (and younger) blood will bring new ideas to Cumberland Co. I am sure...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2006, 6:02 PM
Me?!?

Plan poses HACC as midtown boon

Saturday, April 22, 2006
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

A $14 million expansion of the Harrisburg Area Community College's trade school for carpentry, home building and remodeling is expected to build up the city's midtown neighborhood in the process.

"This project today is going to be like the fire of a rocket that is going to take midtown to new heights," said state Sen. Jeffrey Piccola, R-Dauphin County, who is working to secure $4 million in state redevelopment money for the expansion.

The project, to be financed mostly by private developers, would give HACC at least 100,000 square feet of classroom space in the vacant Evangelical Press Building at North Third and Reily streets.

Virtually all of HACC's building and trade programs would move to the facility, where they'll be able to grow in the expanded space. The building also would serve as a resource center for high school students to take college-level classes.

The addition will more than double HACC's presence in the midtown, where it operates its Community Center for Technology nearby at North Fourth and Harris streets. That site will be renovated and expanded.

The college's trade school programs would move to the new building in late 2007, the project's expected completion date.

A HACC campus would be created by establishing an "urban meadow and commons area" between the two buildings. Boyd alley would become a walkway with surrounding parcels providing open space, complete with benches, landscaping and lighting, along with room for at least 700 parking spaces.

"Midtown is about to become a hotbed for higher education, with considerable spin-off benefits," Mayor Stephen R. Reed said.

Reed called the project "one of the most important anchor renewal projects to occur in the midtown in years."

Reed said the city would request proposals from private developers to build as many as 350 units of student housing on parcels in and around the campus.

He said the housing would be open to HACC students, as well as those attending the Harrisburg University of Science and Technology downtown.

That would add to the housing redevelopment taking place in and around midtown, including the Market Place town homes to the south and Capitol Heights and Governor's place developments to the north, Reed said.

Because all of the estimated $32 million in development is being undertaken by private developers, Reed said the land and buildings involved would stay on the city's property tax rolls.

The Harrisburg development firm of Powers and Associates will renovate and own the HACC building, then lease the space to the community college.

Reed didn't say whether any tax abatement programs -- which reduce or eliminate property taxes for a number of years -- are being used to spur development.

Dave Robertson, president of the neighborhood development group Friends of Midtown, said he welcomed the HACC expansion as a way to give the neighborhood more of a "college town feel," perhaps drawing more retail shops, restaurants, coffee houses and bank branches.

However, one of the neighborhood's larger landowners criticized HACC and the city for failing to inform area businesses how plans for a larger campus would affect them.

Eric Papenfuse, owner of the Midtown Scholars book store, directly across Third Street from the project site, said the campus plans don't even show his bookstore and other nearby businesses, despite the fact that his land is smack in the middle.

He said that the plans to convert Boyd alley into a walking path and urban meadow would eliminate parking access for his store.

"There is a lack, at this stage, of any community involvement," Papenfuse said. "It's a big plan. It will have a lot of repercussions. And it's not a simple assumption that this is a good thing."

HACC serves 17,000 students. For the past three years, college officials have been working on an overall expansion plan, plotting growth for its campuses in Harrisburg, Lancaster, Lebanon, Gettysburg and at a newly-opened center in York.

HACC President Edna V. Baehre said that, with the expansion, HACC also would partner with high school vo-tech programs in Harrisburg and surrounding school districts.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2006, 1:55 PM
Me?!?

And the City's official press release for good measure:

NEWS INFORMATION FROM THE OFFICE OF MAYOR STEPHEN R. REED
City of Harrisburg
King City Government Center
Harrisburg, PA 17101-1678
Telephone: 717.255.3040
FOR IMMEDIATE USE
21 April 2006

HACC PLANS MAJOR MIDTOWN CAMPUS EXPANSION AT 3RD & REILY STREETS & NEARBY AREAS

Mayor Stephen R. Reed and Harrisburg Area Community College(HACC) President Dr. Edna V. Baehre today announced that the respected midstate community college will establish a major new campus facility at the vacant former Evangelical Press Building at N. 3rd and Reily Streets in the city’s midtown. Joining Reed and Baehre at today’s major redevelopment announcement were State Senator Jeffrey Piccola(15th) and State Representative Ron Buxton(103rd), as well as building owners and developers Doug Neidich, John Tierney and Tom Powers, of the city-based Powers and Associates and Evangelical Press Building LP.

Reed and Baehre said plans are now proceeding for HACC to significantly expand its existing midtown campus operations with the $14 million rehabilitation of the 130,000 sq. ft. building, which was constructed in 1917 and most recently housed state offices and testing laboratories. HACC currently occupies the nearby Community Center for Technology and the Arts(CCTA), where building and other trade programs are taught and has long been in need of expanded space.

When completed, the new learning center will house HACC’s expanding technology and trade programs, including carpentry, home building and remodeling and industrial maintenance. The new campus facility will also serve as a resource center for junior and senior level high school students to receive college level classes and credits in the trades. HACC’s existing training center, at N. 4th and Harris Streets, will also undergo major renovations and expansion once the 3rd and Reily site is completed and classes are relocated into it.

Mayor Reed said the project is “one of the most important anchor renewal projects to occur in the midtown in years, and will have significant positive impact for generations to come. Midtown is about to become a hotbed for higher education, with considerable spin-off benefits.”

The Mayor also welcomed State Senator Jeffrey Piccola and State Representative Ron Buxton to the announcement, noting that the state legislature will be critical in helping the city secure the necessary urban redevelopment funds that are key to the project’s financing.

“This is a plan for urban renaissance that will significantly expand the educational opportunities for all Central Pennsylvanians,”said Senator Piccola. Representative Ron Buxton expressed his approval of the plan, noting that he was “particularly pleased with the public-private partnership established between HACC, the city, and the private developers, which together can make real improvements in people’s lives that were difficult if not impossible individually.”

“We plan to expand a number of programs that will be housed here,” said President Baehre. “The value of this new campus is limitless in providing a 21st Century education and training for college students, and it will also serve as a substantial resource for the Harrisburg School District’s Career and Technology Academy, as well as HACC’s 22 sponsoring school districts.”

Reed and Baehre said that in addition to the major new rehab project, HACC will also renovate and expand its existing CCTA building, and build 700 new surface parking spaces for HACC students and faculty using the new facilities. Unoccupied or deteriorated structures adjacent to the two buildings will also be targeted for improvement or demolition, and an “urban meadow” or commons area will be established between the two primary campus buildings to serve as a living ecological laboratory for teaching and hands-on student interaction, and to provide a safe pedestrian passage area between the two buildings and parking facilities. A city street will be vacated to create this pedestrian spine through the campus.

Reed said that in a related project, the city will soon issue a Request for Proposals to construct up to 350 units of student housing on parcels close-by to the expanded HACC Midtown campus. The units will be available to students attending any institution of higher learning and will not be exclusively for HACC students.

Further, he said, additional HACC Midtown Campus buildings and outdoor accessory space will be added to the campus for new and expanding college programs as needed to meet future demand.

“The considerably enlarged college presence, with related student housing, combinedwith the more than doubling of the size of the Market Place Townhomes development, and the continued expansion of the new Capitol Heights neighborhood and other nearby residential work all create a critical mass for Midtown to see additional businesses, restaurants and arts-related facilities. Midtown is poised for a major economic boost,” Reed said.

HACC, Central Pennsylvania’s Community College, serves nearly 17,000 students in the 10-county Central Pennsylvania region. Another 55,000 students are served by the college’s workforce development and community education programs.

The college operates campuses in Harrisburg, Lancaster, Lebanon, Gettysburg and at a newly-opened center in York. Pennsylvania’s first Community College and one of the oldest in the nation, HACC currently provides degree and diploma programs in more than 154 fields.

Powers and Associates, LLC, is a local developer dedicated to rehabilitation projects in previously developed areas in Dauphin, Cumberland, Lebanon, York and Lancaster Counties. The firm also engages in real estate brokerage, marketing and consulting services supporting its primary development activities. Powers and Associates principal Tom Powers has more than 15 years experience in the real estate development industry, and has been involved in many high profile Central PA development and consulting projects.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2006, 1:12 PM
Me?!?

HBG is blowing up in the education arena!

EDUCATION

University plans campus

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The University of Phoenix in May will open a Harrisburg-area campus at 4050 Crums Mill Road in Lower Paxton Twp.

Initially, the university will offer undergraduate degree programs in business management. Other programs will be added based on the demands of local students.

The university also has campuses in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Monroeville.

More information is available by calling (610) 989-0880 or online at phoenix.edu/harrisburg.

And this goes to show just how archaic our laws can be, that this is even a discussion in 2006.

Palmyra-area merchants try to end dry era

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

BY MONICA VON DOBENECK AND BARBARA MILLER
Of Our Palmyra Bureau

PALMYRA - When the new Palmyra Area Business Association met for the first time recently, the hottest topic was drinking.

Palmyra and North Londonderry Twp. are "dry." Since the days of Prohibition, liquor sales have been outlawed in the two municipalities.

Many business people advocate a change because they say liquor licenses are key to attracting good restaurants, which could be a major step in revitalizing the town and perhaps luring tourists from neighboring Derry Twp.

Business people envision restaurants, maybe a T.G.I. Friday's or Ruby Tuesday, where residents and tourists could relax over dinner and a drink.

Some members hope to ask voters to make a change next spring.

Joan Smith is leading the effort in North Londonderry Twp., while Fred Carpenter, a member of the Palmyra Council, hopes to persuade enough of his borough's residents to support it.

"It's important not only for the restaurants but for the whole economic development of our town," Smith said. "It could draw new shops and tourists from the Hershey area. It would brighten up the town."

Doug Eiserman, owner of Palmyra Bowling, tried to change the law in North Londonderry in 1985. He collected more than 500 signatures, registered about 600 voters, but still lost by a 3-to-1 ratio.

The reason, he said, is that an off-year primary election brings out few voters, and most of them are senior citizens.

"It's very hard to get it passed. Young people don't vote in local elections," he said.

Palmyra's last referendum was in 1973. The Palmyra VFW circulated petitions several times, but couldn't generate enough interest to get a question on the ballot.

Councilman Richard Mazzocca said the effort has failed because older people equate changing the law with encouraging drinking.

However, Smith got some encouragement when she brought the idea to North Londonderry Twp. supervisors last week.

Ron Fouche, chairman of the board of supervisors, said he is not opposed to a change. But he said the supervisors cannot take part in circulating the petition.

Molly McGowan, spokeswoman for the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board, said the question can be placed on the ballot only every four years and must be part of the primary in an odd-numbered year. Signatures would have to be gathered in February and March 2007.

"There's some room for a big, nice restaurant," Supervisor Barry Riegle said.

He said the township supervisors can set requirements for the type of establishments that could receive licenses.

While Palmyra has limited room for a large chain restaurant and the parking it would require, that is not the case in the township. Several large lots remain along Route 422.

Statewide, about 700 communities remain dry.

In the May 2001 primary, residents in 14 municipalities across the state were asked whether they wanted to approve at least limited sales. Nine voted yes.

The 1995 primary election was a turning point for several York County communities, including Carroll Twp. and Delta borough, which approved retail liquor sales. Dillsburg residents approved club licenses for veterans organizations and state liquor stores in the borough.

But voters in Dover borough turned thumbs down to alcohol.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2006, 6:04 PM

Keep the info flowin', D. I need regular updates on my hometown!

Sent your way from The Motor City, my new home...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2006, 8:25 PM
Me?!?

What up, B$?!?!? I was wondering what had happened to you, as we haven't talked in like, what, a year at least?!? Judging by what you have just said I see that life has been rather hectic for you also, so we can just chalk it up to the both of us being super busy.

We need to catch up sometime really soon, though. I'll give you a yell as soon as I can and feel free to do the same.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2006, 5:06 PM
Me?!?

Smoking ordinance butted off agenda

Wednesday, April 26, 2006
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

It was supposed to be the night the cigarette butts went out at Harrisburg City Hall.

But in a sometimes fuming discussion before last night's City Council meeting, a proposal to ban smoking in all of the city's public buildings and parks was yanked off the agenda.

Patty Kim, chairwoman of the council committee reviewing the ordinance, said she would have been uncomfortable voting on a measure that would be amended orally from the floor.

The amendments would involve setting aside designated smoking areas within at least two of the city's parks, City Island and Reservoir Park.

"I'd like to see it in writing before I vote on it," Kim said.

For a moment, it appeared that the bill's sponsor, Gloria Martin-Roberts, had the four votes necessary to pull the legislation out of committee and pass it without Kim's approval.

But Councilman Dan Miller, who Martin-Roberts said had pledged his support, decided he, too, wanted more time.

Despite the disagreements that surfaced during the council's pre-meeting caucus, most members were united in saying the smoking ban wouldn't smolder on the back burner for long.

Kim said the measure would be back before the council for a vote "in a week or two," most likely at the board's next session, May 9.

The bill would ban smoking in all city-owned buildings, parks and playgrounds, as well as city-owned vehicles. Violators would face a summary citation and a minimum $50 fine.

It would force Mayor Stephen R. Reed and many of his staff to snuff out the practice of smoking in their offices in the administration wing on the second floor of City Hall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations