HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 9:15 AM
Dérive-r

Stephen Colbert accepts Olympic Oval Ombudsman position

I'm glad the one pair of tickets I managed to get were for speedskating so I can see this in person.

Quote:
Colbert Goes for Gold, Sponsors US Speedskating

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: November 3, 2009

NEW YORK (AP) -- Of the many countries participating at the Vancouver Olympics, add Colbert Nation to the list.

On Monday's ''The Colbert Report,'' Stephen Colbert announced his show has become the primary sponsor of the U.S. Speedskating team. The team's largest annual cash sponsor, DSB Bank NV, left the team in the lurch after it declared bankruptcy in October.

The name ''Colbert Nation'' -- the catchall for the legion of ardent fans of the satirical Comedy Central program -- will be emblazoned on the team's uniforms.

''On their enormous, billboard thighs, it will say, 'Colbert Nation,''' Colbert said in an interview before Monday evening's taping. ''Be looking for that logo as it comes around the final turn. It will be easy to see because it will be in first place.''

Speedskating has produced some of the most iconic figures in U.S. Olympic history, from Eric Heiden to Dan Jansen and Bonnie Blair. In all, Americans have claimed 75 medals -- 32 of them gold -- on the traditional long track oval and the wild-and-wooly short track rink. In Vancouver, Shani Davis, Chad Hedrick and short track star Apolo Anton Ohno will all be vying for medals.

''I personally love Comedy Central + The Colbert Report,'' Ohno said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. ''Any attention the sport can get is going to be beneficial. I'd like to see how creative they can get! I'm game to do a skit about it :-)''

The show isn't paying the team any money directly. Instead, Colbert is calling on his fans to donate to the team via www.colbertnation.com and www.usspeedskating.org. In the past, Colbert has had a great deal of success raising money this way. He has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for the Yellow Ribbon Fund, a charity that assists injured service members and their families.

The Dutch bank DSB was to pay $300,000 for the sponsorship but failed to make any payments. That put U.S. Speedskating in a difficult position with little time to court new sponsors before the games begin in February.

U.S. Speedskating executive director Robert Crowley, who appeared on Monday's show along with Jansen, acknowledged it was a ''definitely unconventional arrangement,'' but said it would generate exposure for the sport.

''We're highly optimistic that the country is going to get behind this and get behind the Colbert Nation and support this amazing team,'' Crowley said. ''I don't have any idea if it's going to make $5 or $500,000. I couldn't tell you.''

Colbert, who often leads his audience in chants of ''U-S-A!,'' said he had been considering taking ''The Report'' to Vancouver for the Olympics, much as he took the show to Iraq earlier this year to perform for American troops.

''My character sees the Olympics as war, but nobody gets hurt,'' Colbert said. ''It's a way to peacefully figure out who has got the top country.''

Colbert, who plays a kind of mock conservative talk-show host on ''The Report,'' also has a penchant for seeing his name adopted for various causes around the world. Things that have taken his name include a NASA treadmill used in the international space station (COLBERT), a bald eagle (Stephen Jr.), a Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream flavor (Americone Dream) and a junior hockey league team (mascot Steagle Colbeagle the Eagle).

An American Olympic team is clearly a step up, and Colbert can be expected to feature the team frequently on his show in the coming months.

''It still tragically involves a lot of Canadians,'' the comedian said. ''It's kind of unseemly how many Canadians I'm going to have to be dealing with.''
no author stated, New York Times

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 9:21 AM

awesome

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 9:23 AM

This is the best news to hit Vancouver in years!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 3:51 PM

Yesssss!!!!!!!!!!

I Love Life!!!!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 11:57 PM
ON3P Skis

This is awesome news.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 12:01 AM

i guess im the only one but i cant stand him

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 12:58 AM

Cool I don't watch his show anymore, but he's miles better than most every other late night comedian.

And good for him for sponsoring the team

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
i guess im the only one but i cant stand him
you know it's an act right? hehe.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 3:57 AM
Hello World

I like Jon Stewart better, but Stephan Colbert is good as well

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 4:43 AM
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
you know it's an act right? hehe.
he can still be pretty annoying to watch. fox anchors do a fine enough job making a fool of themselves.

stewart ftw

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 7:46 AM
So very tired...

All right...as I write this Colbert is ripping Canada a new one because we won't let the US speed skating team practice on the Richmond Oval. A US skater (didn't catch his name) says "at the end of the day it's a jerk move".

Sounds like he's got a point...what the hell?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 8:49 AM

VANOC is allowing the required access as set down by the national sport federations: why do other countries all of a sudden expect more than what the federations say is adequate?

It's the federations that decide what is required. Take it up with them. There is only a complaint now because of 1) the venues have been ready a lot early then the previous games and 2) Calgary, people were expecting unfettered access like before Calgary 21 years ago.

Canada learned.

Every athlete bar the curlers will have competed at this venues at world cups, world championships or other major events. Nothing is going to change from then to February. And come the end of November there will be no access period.

As hosts, we worked hard to complete our venues far ahead of schedule and much earlier than any previous host city. We spent our money to build these venues early so that we can use them more for ourselves, and the same time we met federation requirements.

No wrong doing was done.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 9:13 AM
So very tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
we can use them more for ourselves, and the same time we met federation requirements.

No wrong doing was done.
Surely you mean "all for ourselves". No right is being done either. Unless the oval is being used 24/7 from now until February for official events which I doubt...then to deny other speed skating teams some time for practice runs is straight up selfish and unsportmanslike and damn the 'federation requirements'. The Americans let us use the track in SLC before the Olympics there...and the Italians let both the US and Canadian teams use the ice in Torino.

Not very Canadian if you ask me....

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
Surely you mean "all for ourselves". No right is being done either. Unless the oval is being used 24/7 from now until February for official events which I doubt...then to deny other speed skating teams some time for practice runs is straight up selfish and unsportmanslike and damn the 'federation requirements'. The Americans let us use the track in SLC before the Olympics there...and the Italians let both the US and Canadian teams use the ice in Torino.

Not very Canadian if you ask me....
Did you even read my post?

The Americans and every other nation were granted the specified training time as agreed upon by the International Skating Union. The same was granted to Canadians at Salt Lake and Torino....and like Salt Lake and Torino, we're not giving our competitors more time than required. Everyone has had the requried experience with the oval and many athletes have been able to compete there in the World Cups and Championships it has hosted over the last year.

The oval has been under construction since mid-October for a pre-Olympic refit (stadium seating, tv lights, cameras, etc.) and it won't be open for any sort of training until late-January.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 6:19 PM
So very tired...

Quote:
The oval has been under construction since mid-October for a pre-Olympic refit (stadium seating, tv lights, cameras, etc.) and it won't be open for any sort of training until late-January.
Yeah, I read it. You didn't mention the above, just a vague 'no access period'...I was getting the impression the building was sitting there done and ready, and all but unused except by Team Canada.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 8:01 AM
Dérive-r

Colbert announced on his show tonight that he accepted the City of Richmond's offer to become official Oval Ombudsman during the Olympics. He even showed off to the audience that he had an 'official' letter from the City with their letterhead on it and everything. So, the show will presumably be shot here in February. I'm excited to watch.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 8:15 AM

^ AWESOME! February 2010...less we ever forget.

I wonder where he'll be taping the show.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2010, 9:59 PM
Dérive-r

An update...

Quote:
Ludus Tours Signs Agreement with "The Colbert Report"

Vancouver, BC (PRWEB) January 8, 2010 -- Not all Canucks are prepared to lock out their friendly American neighbours. In the land of igloos and anti-freeze, Ludus Tours has secured a safe haven for host Stephen Colbert and the rest of "The Colbert Report" team during the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games. As part of an agreement signed recently, Ludus will execute the on-site hospitality needs of the popular show...
No author, PRWeb.com

Read the rest here: http://www.prweb.com/releases/ludust...web3422834.htm

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]