HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 7:45 PM

Province signs contract for $180 million Surrey Rapid Bus Service

RAPID BUS SERVICE ON PORT MANN TO BENEFIT 21,600 DAILY

Office of the Premier
Ministry of Transportation
TransLink

For Immediate Release
Oct. 5, 2007

VANCOUVER – An agreement signed today between the Province of British Columbia and TransLink will ensure rapid bus service across the Port Mann Bridge, benefiting 21,600 commuters daily.

The Memorandum of Understanding, signed by Premier Gordon Campbell and TransLink chair Malcolm Brodie, outlines the terms for the $180-million cost-sharing project, which is part of a broader vision for rapid transit throughout Greater Vancouver. It will provide reliable, fast, frequent bus service between Burnaby, Coquitlam, Surrey and Langley, with connecting buses to Abbotsford and communities north of the Fraser River via the new Golden Ears Bridge.

“Providing rapid bus service across the Port Mann Bridge for the first time means that commuters can travel all the way from Langley to Coquitlam or Burnaby in less than 25 minutes,” said Campbell. “An effective, efficient transit system is vital to ensure we are able to develop sustainable communities. This agreement is another step towards providing people with an option to get out of their vehicles and to get to and from work quickly, with a reduced impact on the environment.”

The new, eight-lane Port Mann Bridge will restore transit service across the bridge, as well as expand networks for high-occupancy vehicles (HOV), cyclists and pedestrians, for the first time ever. The express bus service will be connected directly to HOV lanes and will not mix with general traffic, so travel time for the full trip between Langley and Burnaby will be less than 25 minutes – as fast, or faster, than by car.

“Bringing transit back to Highway 1 after 20 years will be a significant improvement to our rapid transit network, providing quality service that will give thousands of people an effective and efficient public transit option for their commute,” said Brodie. “An express bus service will establish transit’s presence along this corridor, which leaves the way open for future rail options depending on growth and development in the south-of-Fraser region.”

Government is contributing $150 million, and TransLink is contributing $30 million for buses and facilities needed for the project, which will include:

o Initially, 20 buses, providing 10- to 15-minute frequency during rush hours (increasing over time as ridership increases).

o A transit-only priority two-way access ramp to/from the median HOV lanes via Government Street, for access to Lougheed Town Centre Station in Burnaby.

o Median on/off ramps for HOV and buses at the 156th Street interchange in Surrey.

o A transit loop either within or in the vicinity of the 156th Street interchange in Surrey.

o Median on/off ramps for HOVs and express buses in the vicinity of 200th Street to 204th Street in Langley.

o A transit loop in the vicinity of the 200th Street interchange in Langley.

o A minimum of 1,000 park-and-ride spaces south of the Fraser River.

The announcement reinforces the Province’s commitment to improving quality of life for all British Columbians – economically, environmentally and socially. Rapid bus service over the new Port Mann Bridge is an important part of the Province’s plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 33 per cent by 2020, to 10 per cent below 1990 levels.

The new express bus service will be an integrated component of the overall transportation network, with connections to SkyTrain, West Coast Express, other bus routes via transit hubs and loops, and new park-and-ride facilities. A map showing these linkages is at www.gatewayprogram.bc.ca online.

Last week, Premier Campbell announced $50 million this year to purchase new, clean buses and expand public transit service across the province.

Planning New Transit for the Future:

With the opening of the new Port Mann Bridge in 2013, frequent, reliable and efficient bus service will be re-established for the first time in over 20 years, significantly improving transportation choice in this large and growing area of Greater Vancouver.

Highway 1 Rapid Bus service will be a key way to ensure our region’s transportation network can address congestion, support economic activity and increased density in designated growth areas, increase transit and transportation choice and provide better inter-municipal connections.

The rapid bus service will connect key areas such as Walnut Grove, Surrey Central, Coquitlam Town Centre and Lougheed Town Centre, and further integrate communities south of the Fraser River and in the Fraser Valley.

Key Benefits:

- Reduced congestion and reduced greenhouse gas emissions – more than 10,000 to 15,000 tonnes per year. Effective transit is a key part of the Province’s plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 33 per cent by 2020.

- Increased transportation choice – For the first time since 1990, transit will be a viable transportation alternative to single-occupant vehicles for people using the Port Mann Bridge.

- Fast, frequent and efficient connections (with few stops) between key town centres in Langley, Surrey and Coquitlam/Burnaby.

- Significantly expanded rapid transit network – with quick and efficient links to existing SkyTrain lines, and via new bus routes, to Abbotsford and Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows.

- More people can leave their cars at home – about 21,600 passengers per day are expected to use the service.

- As fast as or faster than by car – with few stops and using the HOV lanes, the express bus service will take less than 25 minutes from Langley to Coquitlam/Burnaby.

Rapid bus rendering:
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/gateway/tran..._rendering.jpg

We'll take it, but it's still far from enough.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 10:18 PM

Stupidest announcement I've ever heard.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 5:10 AM
loafing in lotusland

Tell me about it. Hey everybody, we're going to buy you some busses.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 6:23 AM
matt in the city

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 6:29 AM

First it was the announcement for money that is worth 60 buses, and now it's 20 buses?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 6:42 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I was expecting much more... the rendering of that rapid bus has a very stupid door location.... It should look more like the Washington ones with the rear door at the back. W/E it's a rendering...

I would think the extend it to Abbotsford right away. Oh well we should thankful anywayz... Remember that the BC Gov't will announce more later! Think of this as a thanksgiving present; think of the big one as a christmas one =D

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
I was expecting much more... the rendering of that rapid bus has a very stupid door location.... It should look more like the Washington ones with the rear door at the back. W/E it's a rendering...

I would think the extend it to Abbotsford right away. Oh well we should thankful anywayz... Remember that the BC Gov't will announce more later! Think of this as a thanksgiving present; think of the big one as a christmas one =D
What makes you say they will announce more later? The only thing left to find out is money for the Evergreen Line, which they've said they will provide. They've denied they are altering the route or technology. And after this paltry "announcement" what makes you think anything good will actually be provided?

As far as I'm concerned, it was at the UBCM the government said a major transit announcement would be very soon. As far as I'm concerned, and based on the way they are trying to spin this press release, the rapid bus *is* the major transit announcement.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 6:56 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm4 View Post
What makes you say they will announce more later? The only thing left to find out is money for the Evergreen Line, which they've said they will provide. They've denied they are altering the route or technology. And after this paltry "announcement" what makes you think anything good will actually be provided?

As far as I'm concerned, it was at the UBCM the government said a major transit announcement would be very soon. As far as I'm concerned, and based on the way they are trying to spin this press release, the rapid bus *is* the major transit announcement.
Falcon denied about the Southeast Route of the Evergreen Line but he hasn't denied the fact that the Evergreen Line is SkyTrain. And I really hope this would happen =)

I'm just trying to be really hopeful... that's all!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 7:58 AM

the video looked interesting on the TV

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 11:51 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

double

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Last edited by mr.x; Oct 6, 2007 at 8:08 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 11:54 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Premier Gordon Campbell was joined by Minister of Transportation Kevin Falcon Oct. 5, 2007 for the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding with TransLink to provide $180 million for a new eight-lane Port Mann Bridge and reinstated transit service. When in place, the frequent and rapid bus service on the Port Mann will benefit 21,600 Lower Mainland commuters each day, enabling drivers to travel all the way from Langley to Coquitlam or Burnaby in less than 25 minutes. The Province will contribute $150 million, while TransLink will contribute $30 million for buses and facilities.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

2007OTP0151-001241

Oct. 5, 2007
Office of the Premier

Ministry of Transportation

TransLink

RAPID BUS SERVICE ON PORT MANN TO BENEFIT 21,600 DAILY
I posted that as the first post. o_o

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 8:09 PM

Anyone have the old Vander Zalm rapidbus proposal lying around?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 10:53 PM

You all do realize that the province in reality is not providing any new funding for transit with this announcement but rather announcing what we have all know which is that there will be bus service across the bridge provided by Translink while on top of that they played with the number big time. I mean the common person might actually think that their providing $180million in new transit funding, but with a closer look you will see that the number is zero. In fact the $30mill from translink is what will in a reality be enough for the 20 buses and the 1000 park and ride stalls, and maybe some money left over. While the $180 million the province says it will spend on the transit is being spent on what exactly, you got it highway expansion and hov/commercial/priority vehicle on and and on ramps(3 of them), these were always going to be built and are nothing new. The only change is that he North road one has moved to Government street. Funny thing is now that when you ask what the price of the highway expansion is you will always get a number with $180 million subtracted because that will be part of a separate rapid bus project when in fact that is not the case. Politicians are so misleading sometimes it just sicken me. And I agree this probably is the major announcement, no new funding, highway expansion plans re released, and yes translink will still put in place a infrequent suburban bus service over the port man bridge.

Oh and 50million dollar bike route across the bridge, you got to be kidding me. This almost sounds like they just took 1/6th of the bridges price because it takes up one 6th of the new bridges capacity. Pathetic and again misleading, in fact again there is no new funding for anything though a regular idiot might think otherwise.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 11:01 PM

^ wow, thx. i had no idea....i hate you Falcon!

I actually believe there will be more announcements to come. They said they would unveil a regional wide transit plan....this isn't regional.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 12:05 AM

i think its a start

eventually the BRT will be replaced with LRT probably

i think the GE bridge will have an impact on the port mann though and it should be interesting to see what happens in 2009

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 7:55 PM
Transit User

I guess this makes Lougheed the future centre of Metro Vancouver with 4 lanes connecting to the area...

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 11:12 PM

it is a hub for the NE sector which is suppossed to absorb a huge % of people in "the plan"

as well as it is very close to SFU so people from surrey langley can get to SFU easier

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure