HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: How's it going to go?
Arbutus, Hastings, North Shore, Fraser, 41st 6 13.33%
Hastings, North Shore, Arbutus, Fraser, 41st 14 31.11%
Fraser, Hastings, Arbutus, 41st, North Shore 6 13.33%
They should all be elevated freeways! 2 4.44%
None of the above 17 37.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 4:01 AM

After the UBC and Evergreen extensions are built, we'll have a half-decent metro with coverage on most of the routes where that level of service is justified by existing development. I would opt for new lines at both the local and regional level over metro-like skytrain lines and extensions.

On the regional level, I would pick the Southern rail line from Scott Road station to Langley first, with stops at Nordel, Newton, Sullivan, and Cloverdale. Second, I would pick the North Fraser line from Braid to Marine Drive station, with stops at Big Bend, New West, East Fraserlands, and Knight. Both would be operated with half-hour headways all day. Both lines have a lot of development potential. The North Fraser line would be extended in the future to Maple Ridge. The Southern line would be extended to Vancouver with the eventual construction of a new rail/road bridge at Sapperton, which would probably also require purchasing the BNSF line. At some point it would also be branched to White Rock, and the current freight line would be diverted down a new line near 152nd.

For better coverage in Vancouver especially, I would first pick Main and then Kingsway for streetcar lines. Maybe tie it in with a reconstruction/removal of the viaducts and terminate it at Granville and Georgia. A Victoria/Commercial line might be third. All three of these routes follow existing streetcar-suburban strips for most of their length, and I think they would also have good development potential (unlike Arbutus or 41st). This way intensification/densification would be concentrated in a few areas. Hopefully this would bring focus to eco-density-like planning initiatives (area-specific instead of city-wide blanket policies), and not scare too many people at the same time.

There are a few more extensions that could be built to similar a standard as the skytrain that could be added, but I'd hold off for a while. At the most, an Expo line extension to Guildford, Newton, or Fleetwood makes sense. I don't see the Expo line being split again: the frequency on each branch would be too low. A Fleetwood Expo line extension would leave open the possibility of a (lrt) line that connects Guildford to Newton through Whalley. The Guildford/Newton line wouldn't need the capacity of skytrain or require the expense of grade-separation considering how few lights are on that corridor. A Canada/Expo line extension to Central Lonsdale only makes sense if North Van City's willing to accept much more development in Central Lonsdale and either Lower Lonsdale or the Fullerton Fill/Capilano Mall area depending on the route, and that's not going to happen any time soon.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 8:13 AM

i would love to see streetcar go through east fraserlands continuing through big bend, but instead of stopping at 22nd street, go up 6th/7th/8th to uptown new west, past queens park, sapperton to braid, up brunette/lougheed to port mann and to guilford. but yeah, what are the chances?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 9:33 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

this would be my vision of a North Shore line..it would work in conjuction with a Hastings Line:

with stops at Phibbs Exchange, Park and Tilford, Lonsdale Quay, Capilano, and terminus at Park Royal

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 5:08 PM

BRT to White Rock will begin immediatly when CL opens and recently Translink has stated that it will include further bus-only lanes north of the Richmond Connector on HWY 99 to avoid the backups to the Oak Street bridge so that will be great.
After current plans are completed the very first expansion is LRT down Hastings all the way to SFU. Hastings is a very busy bus route. At the same time they could twin the current valley rail line from Langley to Scott Road via Newton. I think that should be done instead of SkyTrain 6 km extention to Guilford. The line is already there just begging to be used.

Translink has done a very good job of improving transit South of Fraser recently with buses from White Rock up to Surrey Central now running every 20 minutes all day. They have also put in extra buses from SS to Newton every 8 minutes. That said I have NEVER, EVER been on the Wite Rock bus to SS that is not truly packed. The thing is that almost all the people get off at KG. An LRT from Langley to Scott Road via Newton would greatly reduce that headache.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure