HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Hyperboloid in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressClinton View Post
Ummm.... if You know anything about Grand Central TERMINAL, the 1950's tower would have destroyed the station, literally. THANK GOD IT WAS NEVER BUILT>

The fight to preserve Grand Central TERMINAL was epic leading all the way to the Supreme Court and made landmarking for design alone legal across the USA. The best of the best buildings in NY and elsewhere are still standing as a direct result of the Grand Central Tower never being built. I rather have all those other architectural wonders than the Grand Central Tower. Personally I think I. M. Pei was evil for even participating in this plot to destroy Grand Central TERMINAL.
Couldn't agree more. And I've never been a fan of the PanAm/MetLife slab, either.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressClinton View Post
Ummm.... if You know anything about Grand Central TERMINAL, the 1950's tower would have destroyed the station, literally. THANK GOD IT WAS NEVER BUILT>

The fight to preserve Grand Central TERMINAL was epic leading all the way to the Supreme Court and made landmarking for design alone legal across the USA. The best of the best buildings in NY and elsewhere are still standing as a direct result of the Grand Central Tower never being built. I rather have all those other architectural wonders than the Grand Central Tower. Personally I think I. M. Pei was evil for even participating in this plot to destroy Grand Central TERMINAL.
I totally agree. I never liked Pei and when I read about this proposal it was the final nail in the coffin, so to speak. In my opinion anyone who proposes messing with GCT should be permanently barred from practicing architecture.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 2:03 PM

The building does seem to have a very unique interesting design. In fact I appreciate it when architects try something new and interesting. I always find that the architects in USA tend to be a bit conservative when it comes to building designs. Like every building in USA looks almost the same. Always a unique,attractive building design can increase the attractiveness of an area or city. Similar building designs make the city look like a concrete Jungle. Look at Dubai . They always try new ideas and designs over there.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisJerry71 View Post
I totally agree. I never liked Pei and when I read about this proposal it was the final nail in the coffin, so to speak. In my opinion anyone who proposes messing with GCT should be permanently barred from practicing architecture.

Agree! the Grand Central Terminal is really Beautiful. Maybe they should have tried out a different location for their building

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:33 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 2:12 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Not gonna lie, I wish the Skyscraper Museum in NYC had this level of model making...

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 3:08 PM

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 2:44 PM

Such a massive and unrelenting building on that view on Park Avenue is definitely monumental.

Last edited by NYguy; May 15, 2021 at 2:08 AM.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 11:04 AM

Would have formed an amazing cluster with Vanderbilt and 175 Park.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects