HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
Vancouver is in the gradual process of lowering speed limits within the city especially on residential streets where I'm noticing more and more 30 km/h signs and speed humps anywhere near schools and some parks. 50 km/h, I feel, was far too fast for many of these streets especially where both sides allowed parking leaving only the width for one car to pass at a time.
It seems to me the 30 km/h speed limit is put on those side roads that are designated as a bike route. While the other side streets are still at 50 km/h.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 3:24 AM

I am sure most of you have already seen the new beautiful speed signposts past Abbotsford, but here's one more photo. Sweet, sweet 110km/h.

Based on my experience the traffic keeps going 115-120km/h, which is around exactly the same as when the speed limit was still 100km/h. Now the speed limit just makes more sense, just like the study found.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 3:29 AM

I don't know what we're waiting in Ontario & Quebec.

110 km/h seems pretty safe and logic !

We already drive between 110 and 120 here ( Much closer to 120 though...)

I would go with variable speed limits, per example Rain/sun or Summer/winter

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 4:02 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Having spent this morning driving from downtown Vancouver to Kamloops and taking only three hours to do so, oh my god these new limits are amazing.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 3:42 AM

The 100km/hr signs are up between Monte Creek and Scotch Creek now, they must have just gone up because I didn't notice them on the way to Kamloops on Thursday, unless I was day dreaming.

I promise I will take shots of the construction on the highway (I keep forgetting because I'm always in a rush to get to work!). Phase one of Pritchard to Hoffman's bluff is behind schedule, as there is an archeological dig in the alignment that is still being worked on, so grading for about 100m is missing. I can't see it being completed for summer 2014, maybe late fall if they hurry up.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 4:59 AM

Please do post! It's such a long way from here, that one rarely makes it there to see those changes oneself.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Please do post! It's such a long way from here, that one rarely makes it there to see those changes oneself.
Unless one lives in the middle of nowhere, then he or she may pass through every other week.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 2:10 AM

I haven't been to Whistler in a while, but drove there last week to get an Edge Card and check the snow conditions. The new 90-100km/h speed limits on the Sea to Sky Highway are very nice and at few places they feel almost much. In good conditions there is no problem, but in bad conditions one should not follow the posted speeds as they make few bends feel much more tighter.

Thanks to the new speed limits almost everyone seems to be doing the speed limit now, so I guess they were able to match the 85% they were looking for. My only complain would be the limit through Lions Bay having stayed at 60km/h which is low for the area. Otherwise I am pretty happy for the new limits.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 3:53 AM

Quote:
In good conditions there is no problem, but in bad conditions one should not follow the posted speeds as they make few bends feel much more tighter.
Isnt that the point of speed limits? The maximum speed you should travel in 100% conditions. People treat speed limits as speed minimums

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 5:06 AM

I don't drive much above 110km/hr, even on the Coquilhalla. The fuel economy suffers 1 L/100 for every 10 km/h in speed increase above 90 km/h it seems.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 6:47 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
I haven't been to Whistler in a while, but drove there last week to get an Edge Card and check the snow conditions. The new 90-100km/h speed limits on the Sea to Sky Highway are very nice and at few places they feel almost much. In good conditions there is no problem, but in bad conditions one should not follow the posted speeds as they make few bends feel much more tighter.

Thanks to the new speed limits almost everyone seems to be doing the speed limit now, so I guess they were able to match the 85% they were looking for. My only complain would be the limit through Lions Bay having stayed at 60km/h which is low for the area. Otherwise I am pretty happy for the new limits.
The new limits are a welcome change, but as mentioned they are supposed to be limits. Personally I think the Squamish-Whistler section should have variable limits, depending on whether. In the summertime the 90-100km/h could be considered low, but obviously too high in winter conditions.

And yes, It's disappointing to see the 60km/h zone remain through Lions Bay.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
The new limits are a welcome change, but as mentioned they are supposed to be limits. Personally I think the Squamish-Whistler section should have variable limits, depending on whether. In the summertime the 90-100km/h could be considered low, but obviously too high in winter conditions.

And yes, It's disappointing to see the 60km/h zone remain through Lions Bay.
The variable limits should be installed here next summer, and be ready for next winter. Same for the Coquihala and a portion out towards Golden. Those details are all in the Speed Limit & Safety Review report that came out earlier this year.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
The variable limits should be installed here next summer, and be ready for next winter. Same for the Coquihala and a portion out towards Golden. Those details are all in the Speed Limit & Safety Review report that came out earlier this year.
I am glad to see this happening it is much needed. Frankly they could do the unlimited thing for certain stretches (NOT whistler or anything like that) but maybe the coq could push to 130 or higher in certain sections but that won't happen. The impact of this system will be felt most in the winter when it is dangerous and I think its great!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
I am glad to see this happening it is much needed. Frankly they could do the unlimited thing for certain stretches
To me this is a terrifying thing. I know it works on places like the German Autobahn however rules of the road and rules for being on the road are much different then here. Vehicles are inspected annually for brakes, tires, head-light intensity, safety kit including reflective vest and triangles etc. Drivers there also seem to respect keep right except to pass and other rules like distracted driving. Here... I fear I'd see more lost tires, overheated cars, high speed accidents and generally more idiots who think they can handle their vehicle on such a road but in reality can't. Potholes, other driver swerves, strong crosswind. Any number of factors. I've driven the stretch at 120. 120 is great and makes sense for both 5 through Merritt and 97C to the Okanagan.

Trucks should be maxed to a certain speed limit.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSS View Post
To me this is a terrifying thing. I know it works on places like the German Autobahn however rules of the road and rules for being on the road are much different then here. Vehicles are inspected annually for brakes, tires, head-light intensity, safety kit including reflective vest and triangles etc. Drivers there also seem to respect keep right except to pass and other rules like distracted driving. Here... I fear I'd see more lost tires, overheated cars, high speed accidents and generally more idiots who think they can handle their vehicle on such a road but in reality can't. Potholes, other driver swerves, strong crosswind. Any number of factors. I've driven the stretch at 120. 120 is great and makes sense for both 5 through Merritt and 97C to the Okanagan.

Trucks should be maxed to a certain speed limit.

Oh i agree with you completely. If it was another world or we handled things differently here it could be a possibility but for sure this is not something the BC driver is mature enough to handle. Even in driving the No. 1 daily it amazes me the number of trucks that think that because they are going 2kph faster than the car in the "slow" lane that they should camp in the fast lane. Same goes for cars that can hold up traffic for long distances causing unnecessary backups.

On the German Autobahn trucks are limited to 105kph and I think that is also something that is onboard as well. They also have clear markings on the rear displaying their maximum speed.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post

On the German Autobahn trucks are limited to 105kph and I think that is also something that is onboard as well. They also have clear markings on the rear displaying their maximum speed.
I believe there are also minimum speeds required and no-trucks-allowed lanes.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 5:58 AM

B.C. doctors warn of increased road trauma since introduction of higher speed limits

From GlobalBC
Quote:
B.C. doctors are warning that more people have been injured on the province’s highways since speed limits were raised last year.

Back in July, the speed limit was raised to 120 km/hour–the highest in the country–on the 1,300 kilometres of highways across the province.

When the speed limits were raised last July — those type of ambulance callouts jumped by more than 11 per cent.
Quote:
B.C. Transportation Minister Todd Stone says only 1,300 kilometres of road saw speed increases, while the BC Medical Journal study takes into account all road trauma calls across the province.

“Unless that data was extracted and looked at as a subset, we don’t really believe that these statistics paint an accurate picture,” says Stone.
And the fearmongering has begun!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfreder View Post
From GlobalBC

And the fearmongering has begun!
Or statistics...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 3:34 PM

The new speed limits are completely proper in summer weather. But 120km/h on Coquihalla Highway in a blizzard or hard rain is just crazy. They should lower speeds for the winter time on the mountain highways, just like they do in Scandinavia. People seem to be unable to judge road conditions and many drive 130km/h even in the worst of the weather.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 5:30 PM
SkyTrain Nut

I got two fresh windshield chips and two direct hits on my passenger's headlamp this winter driving over the coq and having some schmo rip past at warp 5 and kick up anything that was on the ground.

They already have those signs that flip over so they can show/hide no stopping signs in avalanche areas depending on the season, why not do the same for the speed limits so it just takes a guy with a pole and one pass down the highway to change the speeds for the season?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure