HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 5:33 PM
Here and There

How about Sushi Motto on 14th st sw near 17th ave? They were pretty good. Or that place in the basement of the Devenish building....I have not been there yet.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 6:27 PM
not a NIMBY

I was at Model Milk the other night and I thought the service and food were very good, I would definitely go back.
I thought it was odd they didn't offer soup. I didn't want salad and none of the appetizers interested us, but there was no soup option.
I know I can't eat the ambience, but I found the surroundings dull, lacking any colour; although it is a lively busy place.
Does anyone know if they plan to expand or open other restaurants or bars in the Model Milk Building? Most of the building above ground seems empty.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I was at Model Milk the other night and I thought the service and food were very good, I would definitely go back.
I thought it was odd they didn't offer soup. I didn't want salad and none of the appetizers interested us, but there was no soup option.
I know I can't eat the ambience, but I found the surroundings dull, lacking any colour; although it is a lively busy place.
Does anyone know if they plan to expand or open other restaurants or bars in the Model Milk Building? Most of the building above ground seems empty.
I believe so. If I recall we saw another DP at the time we saw the one for Model Milk for another restaurant in the building (about a year ago now I'd guess)

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 8:08 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
I believe so. If I recall we saw another DP at the time we saw the one for Model Milk for another restaurant in the building (about a year ago now I'd guess)
They have a released DP for a restaurant and an outdoor patio from 2010, as well as a DP for a fascia sign from 2011 that has been released. Not sure if those are for model milk, but they might be for the other restaurant.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
Alright, any recommendations for a Japanese restaurant that takes reservations for groups and has both sushi and non-sushi things? (e.g. ramen)
Avenue has an article on 6 Hidden Sushi gems in Calgary. Not exactly sure what their requirement is for a place to considered hidden.

http://www.avenuecalgary.com/blogs/6-hidden-sushi-gems

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 5:59 PM
not a NIMBY

new Spanish menu http://www.oxandangela.com/download/Ox_Dinner_Menu.pdf

The warm olives are sofa king good.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 6:03 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
new Spanish menu http://www.oxandangela.com/download/Ox_Dinner_Menu.pdf

The warm olives are sofa king good.
I went to Ox and Angela for New Years. It was absolutely amazing. The set menu for two was an anchovie pintxo, the Frisee Salad, the Asparagus, the steak and the duck, with the Kale and the Patatas Bravas as sides, plus three desserts. The patatas bravas were fantastic. Better than anything I had in Barcelona. Plus we had a 5oz wine pairing with each dish. Amazing!!!! I am now sold on Sherry.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 6:19 PM

Any pho-lovers out there, any decent pho places in the NW? (I don't like the one near Crowfoot)

As an aside, I never realized how many Pho places Calgary has until a friend visited me from Ontario. According to him, our pho is exceptional. I've never been to Vietnam so I can't compare it to the "authentic" pho.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 6:26 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Pho in vietnam is often loaded with MSG. I know people who extol it and they have veg that we can't hope for in Canada, but the quality of the broths here, the relative abundance of good quality meat in our pho and the general lack of MSG bode well for this side.

Calgary has an insanely large number of Viet places- it's one of the best things about eating here.

I can't speak for the NW but I want to encourage everybody who can to check out Pho Ngon at 1439 17th Ave SW. Skip Co Do, please.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 6:32 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Pho in vietnam is often loaded with MSG. I know people who extol it and they have veg that we can't hope for in Canada, but the quality of the broths here, the relative abundance of good quality meat in our pho and the general lack of MSG bode well for this side.

Calgary has an insanely large number of Viet places- it's one of the best things about eating here.

I can't speak for the NW but I want to encourage everybody who can to check out Pho Ngon at 1439 17th Ave SW. Skip Co Do, please.
Calgary is unique is it's proportion of Vietnamese immigrants, for whatever reason. Which gives us amazing Pho and awesome Vietnamese subs. It is a huge thing here compared to anywhere else I know. That being said, the best Pho IMO is in Forest Lawn.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 6:34 PM
not a NIMBY

Calgary is pho king awesome! Sorry I couldn't stop myself.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Calgary is unique is it's proportion of Vietnamese immigrants, for whatever reason. Which gives us amazing Pho and awesome Vietnamese subs. It is a huge thing here compared to anywhere else I know. That being said, the best Pho IMO is in Forest Lawn.
A buddy of mine used to rave about the Pho in Forest Lawn, that is until I took him to Pho Pasteur across from the Harry Hayes building. Best Pho I've ever had. I gave up trying to find better.

As far as the NW goes, I have no idea.

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/pho-pasteur-s...aurant-calgary

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsumetai View Post
Any pho-lovers out there, any decent pho places in the NW? (I don't like the one near Crowfoot)

As an aside, I never realized how many Pho places Calgary has until a friend visited me from Ontario. According to him, our pho is exceptional. I've never been to Vietnam so I can't compare it to the "authentic" pho.
Essence of Saigon across the street from Futureshop in Northland. I have always loved that place, just don't go during school lunch hour.
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/19055...Garden-Calgary
The thing I love about Pho is that all these places are family owned and operated giving a nice small town feel to the resturant.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 8:37 PM
not a NIMBY

My top 5 feeds for 2011:

Alloy
Ox and Angela
Olive Fried Chicken (thanks to Rusty)
Mercato
Notable

Coup would be #6...
honourable mentons to: Open Range, Istanbul, Peking Dragon, Seoul BBQ, Rocky's Burger Bus, Bistro PicNiq, Wurst, Model Milk, Rose Garden, Bistro Cassis, and Bistro Tango.

Last edited by Jimby; Jan 6, 2012 at 4:37 AM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 8:42 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
My top 5 feeds for 2011:

Alloy
Ox and Angela
Olive Fried Chicken (thanks to Rusty)
Mercato
Notable

Coup would be #6...
Mine:

Ox and Angela
Una
Farm
Wurst
Mirchi (nothing beats take out Chicken Tikka )

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsumetai View Post
I assume you mean the one in Ranchlands beside DQ? Or the one that was in Silver Springs? I haven't had a problem with the one in Ranchlands ever, though my top for Vietnamese is Chi-lan in South Trail. Theres also a pretty decent one up in Beacon Hill.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:50 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
I went to Ox and Angela for New Years. It was absolutely amazing. The set menu for two was an anchovie pintxo, the Frisee Salad, the Asparagus, the steak and the duck, with the Kale and the Patatas Bravas as sides, plus three desserts. The patatas bravas were fantastic. Better than anything I had in Barcelona. Plus we had a 5oz wine pairing with each dish. Amazing!!!! I am now sold on Sherry.
We were there too for the late sitting, had some extra entertainment with the fire next door

The food is the best that I've ever had, I have gluten and dairy allergies and they accommodate me without issues and the food still tastes amazing, this was the second time we've been there and both times have been sensational

So true about the Sherry, we got the lady that picked the wines to give us a list of them, we're looking forward to trying them at home

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Pho Xuan in Marlborough is awesome, as is La Cay subs, same owner. Pho Thai in Sunridge is good too. NE joints though, not much help haha.

Vietnamese joints have just exploded here in the last 5-10 years.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 5:57 PM

Well we finally got around to trying the little indian take out place near us in Ranchlands (Masala Express) which has a pretty good rating on urbanspoon but we kept forgetting about it when we felt like ordering out, and came away fairly impressed. Butter Chicken was excellent, naan was amazing, rice was perfectly cooked and the beef korma wasn't bad, though it could have used a bit more flavour. The samosas were tetrahedron shaped rather then the common flat triangles and were quite flavorful. All in all we'll order from there again, especially since its so close to our place.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 10:50 PM
Here and There

Golden Bell on 17th ave is always good. Finally a restaurant in that location that didn't close in one year after opening....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation