HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 2:31 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
Progress at Notherly Island.

Photo by Nick Ulivieri, via a Blair Kamin tweet
This is stunning! I knew this would be great but also a mammoth undertaking. Looks to be shaping up to be an amazing new park.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 5:37 PM

Asado Coffee down the pickwick alley is nearly open.

Looks pretty nifty

http://themanonfive.com/post/9546440...table-building

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 6:10 PM
The City

^ That is really neat, I definitely will make the effort to check that out in the near future.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ That is really neat, I definitely will make the effort to check that out in the near future.
Yeah, it's the amazing little details like this that make great cities. I will have to check it out in the next week or so!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 12:59 AM
TL;DR

So cool! A little slice of medieval Paris or Siena in the Loop. It really helps that the buildings on either side have real windows instead of blank walls.

Asado Coffee also serves really good joe, I had a cortado at the Chicago/Paulina location last week.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
Progress at Notherly Island.

Photo by Nick Ulivieri, via a Blair Kamin tweet
Wow, I remember seeing this from a building downtown a while ago and being impressed by the amount of earth moving going on, but it's really going to be a gem isn't it? Jeanne Gang strikes again! This just gets me even more jonesed up for the Lucas Museum proposal, it's going to be absolutely killer.

I'm so thrilled with the development boom that is going on right now in Chicago. We seem to be repairing and adding to the built environment here much faster than we were in the aughts. Maybe we aren't getting as many 500'+ towers (yet), but the public spaces and infill we are adding right now is much more exciting. Between Northerly Island, the riverwalk extension, Maggie Daley Park, The Bloomingdale Trail, Ping Tom Park, that little coffee shop, Divvy, etc Chicago seems to be adding amenities at a breakneck rate. When you invest in the city, development is sure to follow. I've been down in West Humboldt and West Logan a lot the last few days and there are huge blocks of new townhomes and 3 story condo buildings popping up all over the place along the Bloomingdale Trail. Basically game-set-match for the gentrification pushing West into those areas...

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 5:02 PM
The City

^. Yep, kinda makes one want to move to the city.

At this moment I'm in the burbs with the kids jealous of my wife who is walking through the Loop on her way to meet some friends for brunch.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 6:26 PM

Anyone know what is being constructed just west/nw of the Costco at 14th and Ashland? Looks fairly big.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
Anyone know what is being constructed just west/nw of the Costco at 14th and Ashland? Looks fairly big.
One of the two heliports that's going in on the near southwest side.
http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en...inchicago.html

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 6:55 PM
TL;DR

Special Olympics campus.

src

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetline View Post
One of the two heliports that's going in on the near southwest side.
http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en...inchicago.html
Thanks. I remembered the one off the orange line, but forgot about this one. Nice!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
This page, with the surprise slice of coastal Ireland (New Northerly) and two sweet slices of Brie (cheese pun intended), is one for the record books. I will always remember #1271.
SSP Chicago Community Yahoo! S6 viewing party??

SIDENOTE: I had no idea Allison Brie was a sex symbol. And well done on the pun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
From Ald. Tunney:

Boo. The design went from this

(Hartshorne Plunkard)

to this

(Valerio Dewalt Train)

to this

I preferred the VDT one but Hartshorne Plunkard's was pretty nice, too, and both are superior to the confused mess of a design now going forward.

Moreover, the residential component has been removed. (Anyone know why? Obviously, it's not due to absence of demand.) And 280 parking garage spaces plus 30 more surface parking spaces is insane for one of the most populous and densely populated neighborhoods in the city. IMO, no retail addition to Lakeview is worth that cost (and it's not like there's a shortage of grocery stores or gyms to help justify it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Special Olympics campus.

src

So they want to consolidate three blocks (eliminating portions of Hastings and Wolcott)?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 12:25 AM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
I preferred the VDT one but Hartshorne Plunkard's was pretty nice, too, and both are superior to the confused mess of a design now going forward.

Moreover, the residential component has been removed. (Anyone know why? Obviously, it's not due to absence of demand.) And 280 parking garage spaces plus 30 more surface parking spaces is insane for one of the most populous and densely populated neighborhoods in the city. IMO, no retail addition to Lakeview is worth that cost (and it's not like there's a shortage of grocery stores or gyms to help justify it).
The new design isn't as good as the previous ones. But the 3030 Broadway parcel has essentially become Lakeview's Block 37. At this point, it's just nice to see something will be built there.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
The new design isn't as good as the previous ones. But the 3030 Broadway parcel has essentially become Lakeview's Block 37. At this point, it's just nice to see something will be built there.
Considering what finally went up at Block 37, I don't think this is the best attitude.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 1:34 AM
The City

^. I think the point is, Block 37 is a disaster because of its location and the missed opportunity. The Broadway development is a missed opportunity as well, but it's in a neighborhood location and a giant hole in the streetscape will finally get filled. Really not nearly as bad as the B37 fiasco

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 2:28 PM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
We heard from National Association of Realtors® C.E.O. Dale Stinton. He wants everyone to know in no uncertain terms that what’s going on at the Lakeshore Athletic Club block has nothing to do with the National Association of Realtors®. National Association of Realtors® spokeswoman Stephanie Singer tells us that the National Association of Realtors® decided in April, 2014 not to leave the National Association of Realtors® building at 430 North Michigan Avenue.
http://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/2...rimo-property/

Well apparently it looks like the realtors are not behind the tear-down of the lakeshore athletic club. hmmmmm

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post

Well apparently it looks like the realtors are not behind the tear-down of the lakeshore athletic club. hmmmmm
As cookie monster would say - Gnom Gnom Gnom .....

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post

I don't know why some would think the NAR was still involved in whatever is going to happen here considering they came out a few months ago said they have decided to stay in their building which out right own.

Btw, there was an article on Crains a few weeks ago about Byron Trott and in there there's a line that says "he may erect an office and retail complex nearby," referring to the Lakeshore Athletic Club site. So who knows what or when anything is going to happen at the site. I think it would be a huge mistake to not include a residential competent on site though.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 6:29 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Yeah, I've had the same reaction and was going to question this in a post as well. Whatever might happen here is stand-alone and not part of some larger project incorporating Michigan Ave frontage (NAR building, which clearly seems to be staying put)....

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ Yeah, I've had the same reaction and was going to question this in a post as well. Whatever might happen here is stand-alone and not part of some larger project incorporating Michigan Ave frontage (NAR building, which clearly seems to be staying put)....
sadly, this most likley will be the case. but this is a hot area at the moment, so hopefully we can expect something great

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development