HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 12:09 AM

Now let’s see Bellefield flipped back to a two-way pattern between Forbes and Fifth with a lane each way and a parking protected bike lane.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 1:22 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
I know we really don't discuss suburban developments on here, but I'll share it anyway. Some rather interesting trivia surrounding Century III that I never knew myself, and this was a staple of my childhood; a place I knew inside and out.

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/201906270152

Again, even though this isn't Pittsburgh-proper, I'd like to see how this is redeveloped.

Ok, back to Pittsburgh development... So the Brickworks project wasn't necessarily rejected but the city basically wants a different design. At least, that's how I interpret Eschaton's remarks. So I'm guessing they want something more like the industrial/warehouse facades instead of the generic office park architecture? I guess I'm ok with that. That building did look more like something you'd find -- well probably as part of a suitable replacement for the aforementioned Century III - see also: suburban office park...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 6:03 PM

Jonboy, this (and I would think most other city threads) is not a city only thread, so it's not irrelevant.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 10:12 PM

I understand at least the whole metro area to be up for discussion.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 2:56 AM

https://www.stripdistrictneighbors.c...ng-may-30-2019

Here are some crude renderings of the stacks at 3 crossings development and 23rd and Railroad apartment development from a recent Strip District Neighbors Town Hall.

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...g?format=2500w

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 1:50 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Good to know themaguffin and BrianTH. Just didn't want to come off as a troll.

The Stacks in the Strip? Holy eye candy!! That looks like a nice little nod to the neighborhood's manufacturing/warehouse heritage. Also, it reminds me of the Shalimar Hotel in Wildwood. In my opinion, this will be a great addition to the Strip.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 7:54 PM

It looks to me like a chunk of a modern cruise ship

Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited by BrianTH; Jul 11, 2019 at 10:09 AM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 12:22 PM

I don't think it's a bad thing either. If anything, I think this design gives all of its occupants a nice view toward the river, like some oceanfront hotels that have angled windows offering improved views of the ocean.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 5:07 PM

Have we discussed this development in Uptown at Fifth and Dinwiddie before?

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...1-million.html

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
. Also, it reminds me of the Shalimar Hotel in Wildwood.
It does. Good call.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebarbaro View Post
Have we discussed this development in Uptown at Fifth and Dinwiddie before?

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...1-million.html
Barely, I think. I believe I posted something about the RFP last fall, but otherwise I think this may be the first we have discussed any details (or would if not behind a paywall, but I did see something about $51M and a skybridge, so I am already intrigued).

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 1:32 AM

I've been on vacation in Toronto, but I didn't want to leave my weekly updates hanging. I might be more brief than usual however.

7/25 ZBA. Very short once again:

1. Conversion of this "light industrial" building downtown into a single-family home. Arguably not the highest and best use for downtown real estate, but at least it will preserve a historic structure.

2. New four-story infill home in Upper Lawrenceville (here).

As for the 7/16 Planning Commission presentation, there are three new items for next week:

1. Historic nomination of 416 Catoma Street in Fineview. This is the semi-famous Heathside Cottage, one of the best preserved examples of small-scale gothic revival architecture in the city. I assuredly think it merits nomination. Lots of attached historical documents - as is always the case - if you wish to peruse.

2. Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh is proposing an upgrade for its library for the blind and visually handicapped at 4724 Baum Boulevard. The redesign by GBBN seems to focus on making the first-floor facade more inviting and open to the public. Admittedly this is not really something the primary users are apt to care about, but it will help to make this section of Baum feel a little less desolate.

3. The developers of the Station Square East apartment complex are asking for a modification of the sign permit granted in 2017. The new sign is smaller overall, but positioned slightly higher on the building at its maximum height.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 1:45 AM

And some other random notes.

1. Sal Williams is marketing the entire 1700 block of Fifth Avenue in Uptown. This block consists of two large surface lots, bracketing three surviving commercial buildings. Only the middle one remotely is worthy of preservation, and even that - as the last historic thing in the middle of a block - wouldn't be a major loss. Given the site is (like the Fifth-Dinwiddie site discussed above) in the new UPR area with extremely lenient zoning regarding height and parking minimums, something interesting might sprout up there.

2. NextPittsburgh has an article up highlighting the many projects greenlit by the URA this week. One is a new 54-unit home for the aged in Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar, replacing a building which has been vacant for over a decade. Another is acquiring 21 tax delinquent or vacant properties in the Upper Hill, which plan to be used for a new townhouse development. The article also makes it seem like Flats on Forward gained the PFHA funding needed in order to move forward with construction next year.

3. NextPittsburgh also has an article focusing on development news for Uptown in particular. It mentions the Sal Williams block and the new development on URA/city owned land discussed above.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I've been on vacation in Toronto, but I didn't want to leave my weekly updates hanging. I might be more brief than usual however.

7/25 ZBA. Very short once again:

1. Conversion of this "light industrial" building downtown into a single-family home. Arguably not the highest and best use for downtown real estate, but at least it will preserve a historic structure.

2. New four-story infill home in Upper Lawrenceville (here).

As for the 7/16 Planning Commission presentation, there are three new items for next week:

1. Historic nomination of 416 Catoma Street in Fineview. This is the semi-famous Heathside Cottage, one of the best preserved examples of small-scale gothic revival architecture in the city. I assuredly think it merits nomination. Lots of attached historical documents - as is always the case - if you wish to peruse.

2. Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh is proposing an upgrade for its library for the blind and visually handicapped at 4724 Baum Boulevard. The redesign by GBBN seems to focus on making the first-floor facade more inviting and open to the public. Admittedly this is not really something the primary users are apt to care about, but it will help to make this section of Baum feel a little less desolate.

3. The developers of the Station Square East apartment complex are asking for a modification of the sign permit granted in 2017. The new sign is smaller overall, but positioned slightly higher on the building at its maximum height.
Who owns that parking lot next door to that industrial building? Just wondering - that single-family home will have no land/yard...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
Who owns that parking lot next door to that industrial building? Just wondering - that single-family home will have no land/yard...
Actually upon further review this morning google street view was a bit off. It's not the nice garage with the ambulance coming out of it, but the more modest building next door. Still doesn't have any land, but arguably it's better to be completely enclosed than facing a parking lot. I would hazard a guess they'll put a rooftop deck on.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Actually upon further review this morning google street view was a bit off. It's not the nice garage with the ambulance coming out of it, but the more modest building next door. Still doesn't have any land, but arguably it's better to be completely enclosed than facing a parking lot. I would hazard a guess they'll put a rooftop deck on.
That was actually my thought after I posted that, haha. I could see that. Or maybe a rooftop patio with some sod; make for a green roof.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 3:44 PM

Volkswagen to invest $2.6 billion in Argo AI

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur..._news_headline

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 6:58 PM
Hell with the Lid Off.

I noticed in the planning commission report, Desmone made some superficial changes to their Brickworks at Smallman project. I'm not sure if this is their redesign to get approval or not? It's only a minor adjustment of the glass section facing the corner of 21st street.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 2:04 PM

Next Pittsburgh has information on Phase 2 of Arsenal 201, gleaned from a community meeting last Thursday. This includes a link to the presentation given at that meeting to Lawrenceville United by Milhaus. A summary.

1. Phase 2 includes 343 apartments - more than the first phase's 243. This will include 35 affordable units, which is interesting, because I had thought considering the original master plan was passed before the inclusionary zoning overlay they might have escaped this requirement.

2. Milhaus is asking for a 445-space parking garage, along with space for 200 bikes. The initially seems excessive, it's worth remembering some of the space being redeveloped is currently being used as surface parking for the existing building, meaning it's really meant as a garage for all phases of the development.

3. This phase will include a historic renovation of the last remaining building of merit on the site - the old officers quarters of Allegheny Arsenal. Three units of housing will be in this structure, which will apparently have surface parking rather than garage access.

4. As part of the phase, the developer plans to extend their private stub of Foster Street further, and build out a temporary surface lot of 75 spaces on the "Phase 3" land - presumably to replace those spaces which will be removed during construction existing tenants use. This temporary surface pad is going before the ZBA for approval this week.

5. Closer to the river, the developer plans an extension of Willow Street open to the public. It will not continue under the 40th Street Bridge at this time due to a DPW garage being in the way, but it could link up the road grid in the future. On the river side of this new extension, there will be a public dog walk and open space.

6. The design is meh and generic - even compared to the Phase 1 buildings, which are pretty unimpressive. Honestly the way the renderings are set up I'm just having a very hard time even conceptualizing the building. The overall shape of the building is a "double doughnut" with one cavity around a central courtyard, and another mostly wrapped around the new parking garage. A small wing pulls up to 39th street. There's a cavity left along 39th, which seems to a degree designed to avoid the Officer's building and some nearby remaining portions of the original stone wall.

7. There's not much land left over for Phase 3 at all. This in part seems to be because they've decided to make Phase 2 larger and deeper. However, my recollection was that originally they planned to demolish all of the warehouse structure, only leaving the "Rite Aid" building due to a long-term lease they couldn't get out of. It looks like they wish to keep at least one bay of it intact for the foreseeable future however. This is unfortunate, because fixing that side is even more key now that the Tryp hotel is across the street, but maybe they're waiting out Rite Aid now, hoping to develop that entire section up to the Butler Street corner at once.

Last edited by eschaton; Jul 15, 2019 at 3:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 4:29 PM

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has some new information about the replacement development for the "Garden Block" on the North Side. The new development (post demolition of the three historic buildings) will be a five-story, 50-unit apartment building - a downgrade from the eight story, 72-unit building originally proposed. TREK Development believes that because the height is identical to the Alphabet City building on the opposite corner, it will get easy approval based upon contextual height.

The article provides two images. The ground-floor plan is interesting. It appears they hope to merge the Garden Theater itself will the new development, breaking up the current open space into a mixture of two commercial spaces (one large and one very small) along with it acting as the grand entrance for the apartment building. It also appears there's more ground-level retail than I recall from the original plan, which is a good thing in an under-retailed portion of the city.

The rendering itself is kinda genetic, but anything is better than the status quo, so I'm not complaining.

The two historic storefronts along Federal Street were saved, and will have retail space below, and six apartments on the upper floors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations