HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 6:51 PM
Engineer

That's exactly what I just found. Thank you! It's encouraging they have previously developed highrise apartments.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
That's exactly what I just found. Thank you! It's encouraging they have previously developed highrise apartments.
The State Street view corridor to/from the Capitol could look entirely different in a few years with Tower 8, Liberty Sky, and the Carl's Jr. corner.

Any best guesses about when we'll start seeing some dirt moved at the Tower 8 or Liberty Sky lots?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
The State Street view corridor to/from the Capitol could look entirely different in a few years with Tower 8, Liberty Sky, and the Carl's Jr. corner.

Any best guesses about when we'll start seeing some dirt moved at the Tower 8 or Liberty Sky lots?
Liberty Sky should be getting close to going to the planning commission. They should be getting their trademark/service mark for the name/term "Liberty Sky" later this month.

After they get the mark, Cowboy and Boyer should be going to the planning commission. I would hope they are able to move quickly through the processes and they should be able to start moving dirt and begin excavation possibly in October with foundation work starting in November/December.

Tower 8 hopefully around mid-September. I would hope for foundation work before the end of the year but most of that depends on the final design and height.

In another set of news, I am fairly sure that yesterday was also the due date or possibly the initial review date for the 255 South State Street RDA project proposals. The RDA had selected 2 local and 2 out of state developers to submit proposals. I have heard that at least 2 of the selected developers would like to build over 20 stories.

This means that there could be potentially 4 20+ story towers on State Street under construction at the same time if the Carl's Jr site processes quickly.

3 on the East side of State, 1 on West side.

If it wasn't for the fact that the majority of the projects that we are seeing are residential, I would say only 1/2 to 1/3 would happen. But luckily residential is doing very well and is greatly needed at all levels as well.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
Liberty Sky should be getting close to going to the planning commission. They should be getting their trademark/service mark for the name/term "Liberty Sky" later this month.

After they get the mark, Cowboy and Boyer should be going to the planning commission. I would hope they are able to move quickly through the processes and they should be able to start moving dirt and begin excavation possibly in October with foundation work starting in November/December.

Tower 8 hopefully around mid-September. I would hope for foundation work before the end of the year but most of that depends on the final design and height.

In another set of news, I am fairly sure that yesterday was also the due date or possibly the initial review date for the 255 South State Street RDA project proposals. The RDA had selected 2 local and 2 out of state developers to submit proposals. I have heard that at least 2 of the selected developers would like to build over 20 stories.

This means that there could be potentially 4 20+ story towers on State Street under construction at the same time if the Carl's Jr site processes quickly.

3 on the East side of State, 1 on West side.

If it wasn't for the fact that the majority of the projects that we are seeing are residential, I would say only 1/2 to 1/3 would happen. But luckily residential is doing very well and is greatly needed at all levels as well.
I think it would be great to have a residential tower on the Carl's Jr. site overlooking Gallivan Plaza.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:03 AM

West Temple

It's is great to hear about all the prospects for State St. It sounds like there will be alot happening there in the years to come. I am also curious how West Temple will look soon as well. If 370 and the CCH get built West Temple will really start to rise. Both State and West Temple having rows of high-rises will really expand our skyline from East to West facing viewpoints. Our skyline looks good when you look at it from the East and West due to the long stretch of towers along Main St. However when looking from the North and South currently, it appears very thin. This should really start to make things look dense. Hopefully someone will just eventually decide to build a tower in the 500-600 ft range right in the middle of it all to truly make it a great overall skyline.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
It's is great to hear about all the prospects for State St. It sounds like there will be alot happening there in the years to come. I am also curious how West Temple will look soon as well. If 370 and the CCH get built West Temple will really start to rise. Both State and West Temple having rows of high-rises will really expand our skyline from East to West facing viewpoints. Our skyline looks good when you look at it from the East and West due to the long stretch of towers along Main St. However when looking from the North and South currently, it appears very thin. This should really start to make things look dense. Hopefully someone will just eventually decide to build a tower in the 500-600 ft range right in the middle of it all to truly make it a great overall skyline.
A 500' or taller tower would be nice.

It will be nice to have towers on multiple streets in the coming years. State Street, Main Street, West Temple and 2nd West (Block 67). These towers will be stretching the skyline to the South and to the West. With additional towers planned to fill in some of the middle, it will be nice.

I did notice that the building on the SE corner of West Temple and 200 South is for sale. It is east of the Holiday Inn Express and is listed at $10 Million. While it does have a parking agreement with the American Plaza parking, it is my understanding that the building and its sister building to the east can both be demolished and rebuilt independently without impacting each other or the surrounding properties.

I do think that since Vasilios Priskos died, I don't think the odds are very high that his son will follow through and build a hotel on the APS site to honor his fathers wishes once the CCH is built. I could be wrong though. If they don't build or sell the property, I think the next building on the block will end up being from Zions Bank. They are growing again, so it may not be too long before they start looking at building a new headquarters building downtown.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:49 AM

Question! Kearns building. I was informed yesterday that they will be tearing down the parking and will be building a parking structure that is a lot larger. Has anyone else heard this? I’m curious to see what they had in mind.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 5:29 AM

A lot of promising news. I still have hope that the majority of these will actually pan out. I hope we hear something about that State Street RDA proposal soon!

The thought of 4 towers going up on State Street at the same time has me salivating. Throw in the Millennium Tower and the CCH (fingers crossed still) plus Block 67, and things feel like they're really happening. I know that SLC has had a bad track record for getting big projects off the ground, but at least some of these have to really pan out, right?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 5:42 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I know that SLC has had a bad track record for getting big projects off the ground, but at least some of these have to really pan out, right?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
Question! Kearns building. I was informed yesterday that they will be tearing down the parking and will be building a parking structure that is a lot larger. Has anyone else heard this? I’m curious to see what they had in mind.
I haven't been around the office the last few days so I will see if there is any talk today since many people around the office know people that park in the garage daily.

I do wonder if this may be a possible phase 1 to a future Hines 25+ story residential building that was discussed previously.

I was able to find the following:

http://www.slcrda.com/wp-content/upl...ual_Report.pdf

Quote:
In January 2017, the RDA entered into an Exclusive Negotiations Agreement with the joint development group of Hines Development and 160 South Main, LLC to redevelop the Utah Theater property at 144 and 156 South Main Street. The Agreement allows the developer one year to propose and receive approval of a redevelopment plan for the eastern half of the property, and a second year to finalize the design and permitting of the project. The Agreement also allows the Developer to submit a proposal to provide development services to renovate the western half of the Property, which includes the Utah Theater. Financial support of capital improvements, peration, maintenance, and replacements costs, as well as a potential programming strategy, are also being studied.
In 2015, the RDA had signed a similar agreement with LaSalle and Hines that seemed to go no where. It seems that just 18 months into the agreement there is movement as the parking structure at one point was talked about being used as parking for the rebuilt theater and the residential tower as well.

It appears that my post from last night may already be wrong in that the block may get a tower sooner than expected if this related to the Utah Theater project.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have on reasonable sources that both Tower 8 and Liberty Sky will not break ground until Q1 2019. Liberty Sky is still in design/budgeting phases and though the desire is to be moving dirt in 2018 it is very unlikely to happen.

Exciting to see that both projects appear to be moving forward.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyJenkins View Post

I have on reasonable sources that both Tower 8 and Liberty Sky will not break ground until Q1 2019. Liberty Sky is still in design/budgeting phases and though the desire is to be moving dirt in 2018 it is very unlikely to happen.

Leeeroooooyyyy Jenkins!!!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 9:19 PM

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 12:14 AM

Construction has started the Lotus Townhomes on North Temple. This project went through the TSA zoning process in 2016, so remember that even when projects are delayed a bit it doesn't mean that they won't get built.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 3:10 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyJenkins View Post

Thanks for the info. You came to the right place. We appreciate inside info and any rumors you may come across too. Post as much as you can!!!!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 7:50 PM

I figured this group would like that name...

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
Construction has started the Lotus Townhomes on North Temple. This project went through the TSA zoning process in 2016, so remember that even when projects are delayed a bit it doesn't mean that they won't get built.
Pretty sure you got the name wrong

Almost positive they are the, Liberty Lotus Towne Homes.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 5:46 PM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
You crackin me up sir.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
Pretty sure you got the name wrong

Almost positive they are the, Liberty Lotus Towne Homes.
Still wrong... It's the Seasons at Liberty Lotus Townhomes Crossing Square.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 7:40 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West