HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
I thought this could be the most embarrassing local video I have ever seen, but then I remembered this gem with Gail Asper rapping:

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
i made it a whole 9 seconds in before dying of embarrassment
Haha, I thought it was pretty clever. You guys are a tough crowd!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Haha, I thought it was pretty clever. You guys are a tough crowd!
I agree. I liked it. Plus if someone only made it 9 seconds, all they saw was Obby Khan waving at the Airport escalator. That IS a tough crowd.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 9:34 PM

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 9:48 PM

^ Thanks! I like the faux Amazon press release... that's cheeky

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 9:55 PM

Overall, I'm impressed with the proposal, it was well done

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 9:55 PM

I skimmed the proposal and I have to admit it got me more jacked than usual about Winnipeg

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 1:54 AM

Wow, they certainly put in a good effort.

This is something that should be used as a resource and adapted to attract other companies to Winnipeg.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 2:01 PM

Bartley Kives says the submission was intended for a local audience. I agree to some extent... I mean, even if there's no hope of success you still have to make it look like you're in the game.

But I think this was motivated at least in part by the prospects of success... in the admittedly remote chance that Winnipeg was chosen, everyone with a hand in the submission, Bowman, Pallister, Khan, Spiring, whoever else, would become legends.

Think of the accolades Chipman got for bringing the Jets back... it would be like that x10 if Amazon came. I'm sure that's driving some of this.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 2:15 PM

Fantastic proposal.

By the way, Canad Inns Express is closing down. property was sold.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 2:43 PM

I suspect part of the idea at least is to get on the company's radar screen for future investments. it is useful info for the public as well. who knows, it could pay off in ways we don't anticipate if the business community uses the info within their own respective investment circles. I thought it was well done. I guess centreport wasn't seen to be an asset with respect to this particular situation although I would have included it as a forward looking community exhibit..

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 2:48 PM

The thing is, Winnipeg actually makes a HELL of a lot of sense for a major distribution centre for them, so it's a good foot in the door – and they clearly seemed to focus on our location and transportation industry a lot. That alone tells me that's probably what the bigger goal of submitting a bid was.

I have to say overall though this whole thing about cities "bidding" to land Amazon grosses me out. Like now every time a major company wants to open somewhere is it going to be a race to the bottom where every city is fighting to give the biggest tax breaks they can? Would way rather see us just give tax breaks to local businesses than big behemoths who don't even need them anyway, but abuse their power.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
By the way, Canad Inns Express is closing down. property was sold.
The one on Pembina next to the CanadInns with the Tavern United?

--

On the Amazon front, I have issues with some aspects of the proposals.

1. Having someone talk to Alexa is just plan stupid. It is something far too many cities were putting into their Amazon bid.

2. The choice of Obby makes sense for a local audience but outside of Winnipeg who he is quickly falls off. I have to wonder who else might have been pitched that role and declined.

3. On the bid itself the downtown parcel could not have been much worse if they tried. There is a reason that despite repeated pitches to find a use of Hudson's Bay over the past approximately 20 years they are still searching for something. Similar to the Portage Place tower pads and that is without even getting into the issues on Portage Place itself.

4. The airport area proposal I had considered before the bid came out and quickly ruled it out as a site. The height restrictions on the area alone is enough to give some serious pause. The area also lacks good transit access and will be difficult to develop transit access to. It is why the old Stockyard in St B also won't make sense as a pitch location.

--

In terms of the details itself, I haven't gotten deep into the weeds but that they are being offered huge tax incentives to come here was a concern before the details came out and is definitely a concern afterwards. Much like I thought Amazon is looking for who is going to pay them the most to move there and I don't think it is a game Winnipeg should get into.

I think if as a community we want to have an Amazon here we are better of stocking the lake with a bunch of minows, aka start up companies, and developing a culture/community to care for them and grow them into something bigger. Then maybe one day they will be looking to build their own HQ2 and someone else will be bidding.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 4:44 PM

I noticed that the proposal specifically mentions the rail connection to Churchill as a selling feature (i.e. Winnipeg is connected by rail to Atlantic, Pacific and Arctic oceans). I doubt this is a make or break point for Amazon, but it is a selling feature for Winnipeg as a transportation hub in general. Hopefully the railway is fixed and proper ownership put into place.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 5:08 PM

although a little corny, I liked it. looking at the 60+ printed book, it mentions "Direct flights to most major NA cities"? really, Chicago, Denver, Minnie, Vegas and seasonally Phoenix is not most NA cities.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 5:11 PM

^ Haha, I noticed that too. Although in fairness, I believe they said that if Winnipeg is chosen, nonstop service will begin to San Francisco, Washington, Seattle and New York.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Haha, I noticed that too. Although in fairness, I believe they said that if Winnipeg is chosen, nonstop service will begin to San Francisco, Washington, Seattle and New York.
They did, but they said WAA would add those flights... but that's not up to them, so it's kind of a stretch to say that.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 5:25 PM

^ The way they explained it on the radio, it sounded like a sure thing. I suppose you can secure air service anywhere if you're willing to subsidize it.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The one on Pembina next to the CanadInns with the Tavern United?

--
Yup.

Thats a pretty big piece of prime land. Very deep from Pembina all the way back to the river. if I recall correctly, when Canad Inns bought the land next door (I think it was an old Ramada Inn), they originally wanted to re-route Adamar and use both footprints for their hotel. City denied them (or something) and they ran two hotels side by side.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post

2. The choice of Obby makes sense for a local audience but outside of Winnipeg who he is quickly falls off. I have to wonder who else might have been pitched that role and declined.
I dont think the point was that Obby was meant to be a celebrity spokesperson. He's a local athlete, small business owner and entrepreneur. Probably doesnt hurt that he's young, good looking and shows our multiculturalism and diversity.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan