HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 4:06 PM

^ I saw that, but they have the McD's location across the street at library square. Are they going to run both?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 5:00 PM

more than likely - they have been opening separate McCafes in Europe for a little while which operate separate, surprised to see the concept brought here

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 8:57 PM

The McDonalds at Library Square was originally an "Express" location (i.e. with limited menu) - I don't think they have the physical space to install the espresso machine, so I guess they are doing it separately as a result.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:40 AM

Rogers has announced they are getting out of the video/game rental business. Don't know if that means their stores will go on the market or if they'll keep them as wireless storefronts.

Have any of the old Blockbuster locations been rented? Last time I checked Kerrisdale, Oak St and Main St were still vacant.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 3:21 AM

the blockbuster on lonsdale has been turned into a Boselys pet store... looks good and it seemed busy

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Rogers has announced they are getting out of the video/game rental business. Don't know if that means their stores will go on the market or if they'll keep them as wireless storefronts.

Have any of the old Blockbuster locations been rented? Last time I checked Kerrisdale, Oak St and Main St were still vacant.
are there any rogers stores left? almost all of them closed months ago

the one on davie was downsized a lot - like only 1/3 of the original store and its just a wireless store now - the other 2/3 has been sitting empty

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 5:12 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Park & Tilford (north of second narrows bridge) was almost immediately changed into a small Toys R Us. It was apparently the busiest Blockbuster in the metro. I was under the impression Toys R Us was getting killed by Walmart so I'm surprised they're still expanding.

I don't even know where I would rent a physical disc if I wanted to now. We need redbox vending machines.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Park & Tilford (north of second narrows bridge) was almost immediately changed into a small Toys R Us. It was apparently the busiest Blockbuster in the metro. I was under the impression Toys R Us was getting killed by Walmart so I'm surprised they're still expanding.

I don't even know where I would rent a physical disc if I wanted to now. We need redbox vending machines.
There are a lot of these movie rental machines around now. Best Buy has started putting them into Mac's stores, and most 7-11s have some kind of rental machine.

Last edited by GeeCee; Apr 19, 2012 at 6:02 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post

The Blockbuster on Lonsdale is now a Bosley Food Mart.

The Safeway on Lonsdale has a cheapo video rental service machine. Not sure if its a red box.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 6:35 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Express coming to PacCentre already mentioned previously, but some additional tidbits.

Quote:
Express, which sells men’s and women’s clothing, will move to the 8,200-square-foot location in Pacific Centre that formerly housed women’s fashion store Jacob.

Jacob has already moved out of the space and into a smaller 3,700-square-foot location in the mall
Quote:
Other moves in the mall include American Eagle expanding from its longtime 4,100-square-foot corner location to a larger 5,700-square-foot space
Quote:
I’m not able to say who we’re talking to about leasing the old American Eagle space. We’ve almost got a signed deal for their replacement.”

Not all retailers believe leasing space at Pacific Centre is a good corporate strategy.

Mexx plans to vacate its longtime 4,780-square-foot space in the mall later this month.
Source: BIV Interactive
http://www.bivinteractive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5680:us-retailer-express-to-open-pacific-centre-store&catid=14aily-news&Itemid=46

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 7:15 PM

I'm guessing that McDonalds will vacate Library Square, since it is a very small location and the new one's signs say "full service McCafe restaurant" as opposed to the limited menu Express location.

Blockbuster on Kingsway (near Victoria) is now a Dollarama.

It never made sense to me that Mexx had a store near Sears, when Sears sold Mexx clothing - often at a discount compared to the corporate store. And for men's wear the distance was 50 feet between the two. So they're leaving now that Sears is closing. Does Nordstrom carry Mexx? Hmmm.
[Also, I'll bet there was a jump in the lease rate given the head-on exposure to people exitting the Canada Line station]

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 9:14 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Express coming to PacCentre already mentioned previously, but some additional tidbits.

Source: BIV Interactive
http://www.bivinteractive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5680:us-retailer-express-to-open-pacific-centre-store&catid=14aily-news&Itemid=46
See next week’s issue of Business in Vancouver for revelations on a major retailer’s negotiations to move into a prime Robson Street location.

HMV Space I imagine?

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 9:17 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I'm guessing that McDonalds will vacate Library Square, since it is a very small location and the new one's signs say "full service McCafe restaurant" as opposed to the limited menu Express location.
that would be a smart move as the Library Square location gets cramped during rush hours. The Concord Retail space is nice and roomy/high ceilings ... did they just take the Corner? or the Corner and the spot next to the Mexican Space?

I could see Starbucks snagging the old McDonalds Location

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 11:05 PM

Hoarding's gone and the J.Crew canopy is up on Robson. They're about ready.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 11:21 PM
Bridge Walker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
There are a lot of these movie rental machines around now. Best Buy has started putting them into Mac's stores, and most 7-11s have some kind of rental machine.
I've tried the Best Buy machine (a couple of months back) at a 7-11 and it was a negative experience coupled with 35 minutes on the line with customer service in India. I was given a free movie code but found the experience so exceedingly frustrating, I never bothered with a second go.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 11:25 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Hopefully they go in more grocery stores since I never use convenience stores.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
that would be a smart move as the Library Square location gets cramped during rush hours. The Concord Retail space is nice and roomy/high ceilings ... did they just take the Corner? or the Corner and the spot next to the Mexican Space?

I could see Starbucks snagging the old McDonalds Location
I think the wrap goes right to the Mexican place.
It also says "heated patio".

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkelley View Post
I've tried the Best Buy machine (a couple of months back) at a 7-11 and it was a negative experience coupled with 35 minutes on the line with customer service in India. I was given a free movie code but found the experience so exceedingly frustrating, I never bothered with a second go.
Ive used them before and it was great. It was so straight forward and simple

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 3:59 AM
Bridge Walker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Ive used them before and it was great. It was so straight forward and simple
The issue I had was that the machine indicated that the disc had been dispensed but hadn't, so I didn't want to pay for a blu-ray disc I couldn't return because I didn't have it. So I then spent 35 minutes with customer service trying to get it straightened out. It was very frustrating.

That's cool you had a positive experience though. Although I find I now just go the HDPPV route (with Novus, which is surprisingly current with premium offerings) or Apple TV.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post

That would make sense, as I remembered this:

Quote:
McDonald's exhaust making us sick, underground parkade workers say

Parking attendants who work in booths next to an exhaust vent used by a McDonald's in Vancouver said they are literally sick after years of breathing foul fumes from the restaurant.
In September, WorkSafeBC, the province's worker compensation board, concluded the situation is a violation of occupational health and safety regulations governing "objectionable odours" in the workplace.

"The odour from these vents … was obnoxious," the report states. "In addition, grease smoke and conceivably other compounds formed from the cooking process were entering and lingering within this enclosed work area."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/...kadefumes.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy