HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Yea no thanks. Keep the tolls. Let people vote with their time and wallets and let them have a choice .
You must have voted Green then because both the Libs and NDP campaigned on reduced or no tolls at all. That equates to 84 of 87 seats. People who voted for either of these 2 parties can't complain if they keep their election promises. If you don't like the promises, don't vote for them.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 2:03 PM
Vancouver Moderator

As much as it is an on-going topic and that there are expected impacts to the future of transportation projects such as this, please avoid exerting your political views on this and other Transport threads.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
As much as it is an on-going topic and that there are expected impacts to the future of transportation projects such as this, please avoid exerting your political views on this and other Transport threads.
I am not exerting any political views. I am not associated with any political party nor support any parties. Transportation issues are inseparably tied to politics because of funding but I will try to focus just on the transportation issues.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 5:44 AM
Good roads & good transit

Would it be possible to build the new Patullo Bridge in a similar, but better structural style as the current one?

I think this is a good idea, as the bridge design is a important historical symbol for the, "Royal City", instead of a cable stayed bridge. Maybe even a cantilevered bridge.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 5:58 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalil1011 View Post
Would it be possible to build the new Patullo Bridge in a similar, but better structural style as the current one?

I think this is a good idea, as the bridge design is a important historical symbol for the, "Royal City", instead of a cable stayed bridge. Maybe even a cantilevered bridge.
The problem is costs. Translink will specify the requirements (not the type of span), and the contractor will develop the cost cost effective plan. I don't think anyone wants to pay considerably more money just for a different style of bridge if cable stayed is the cheapest.

For an example, look at Golden Ears Bridge. Before it went out to contractors for design, it was shown in the papers and online as going to be similar to the Mission Bridge design, but then when it came to actually designing it, the extradosed version was chosen instead due to costs.

It's true that arch bridges are still built, but in those cases, governments are choosing the more expensive options because of perceived aesthetic value.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 1:05 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Also, cable stay and suspension bridge generally seem to have the best seismic capabilities.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 7:27 PM

Construction on the new bridge is suppose to start in 2019.
The new bridge is suppose to open by 2023.
With mobility pricing years away, and the only significant new revenue being talked about, something tells me these dates are going to be pushed back again.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 8:51 PM
See ya down under, mates

When there was talk of Lions Gate bridge being replaced in the 90s they said the new one had to be cable stayed and that turned off a lot of people. I think they look great.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 9:44 PM

^^^ boy, they can look snazzy sometimes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
When there was talk of Lions Gate bridge being replaced in the 90s they said the new one had to be cable stayed and that turned off a lot of people. I think they look great.
I agree, yet, IMO, there is a sort of design "cousinship" with suspension bridges. (and of course, so many legendary suspension bridges to name, but this is now.) Great Pix, thnx Coconut!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
I agree, yet, IMO, there is a sort of design "cousinship" with suspension bridges. (and of course, so many legendary suspension bridges to name, but this is now.) Great Pix, thnx Coconut!
i do think it would be a mistake to put a bridge next to the Lions Gate if it isn't a suspension bridge. you run the risk of taking way from the iconic structure.

ideally, i would prefer a duplicate in height, style, colour, etc so the bridges go hand in hand; such as a pair of gloves being the same, or a pair of socks.

if the bridge wasn't directly next to it, then i do think a cable stayed brdige would work; such as if it was at Brockton Point.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper View Post
With mobility pricing years away, and the only significant new revenue being talked about, something tells me these dates are going to be pushed back again.
They still don't have funding for that, for LRT, or Millenium extension. Politician's just talking out of their ass as always. Wake me up when construction actually starts.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:41 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper View Post
Mobility pricing will never happen. People don't want their movements tracked

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 8:05 AM

Some renders on the Daily Hive. Yawn.

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/new-p...ew-westminster

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 8:33 AM
Dahvie Fan

Wow look at all that space for pedestrians. Bike lanes and walking lanes seperated. Meanwhile the cars can't even get a damn shoulder. We can do better than this

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
Mobility pricing will never happen. People don't want their movements tracked
Really? The Apple and Google generation really don't want their movements tracked?

That argument worked once upon a time, but it's rapidly loosing its credence.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 6:37 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Really? The Apple and Google generation really don't want their movements tracked?

That argument worked once upon a time, but it's rapidly loosing its credence.
Yes, all smart phones track all your movements within a few meters.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
Wow look at all that space for pedestrians. Bike lanes and walking lanes seperated. Meanwhile the cars can't even get a damn shoulder. We can do better than this
The end of your sentence looks cut off. I think you meant to finish it with "almost everywhere else in the world".

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 10:03 PM

I'm wondering if that render for the new Patullo, as posted in the HIVE, is the finalized design. Hope as hell surely not.
As forumers imply, the other bridges cited all had shoulders, and these are vital if a vehicle has to pull over be it a flat tire, or a smoking engine.
Perhaps bringing this issue to the attention of whoever is reponsible for designing and building this, might be pursuitworthy. No shoulders elevate the danger factor so much.
One can easily imagine an event where a vehicle dysfunction, depending on the problem, could cause not only a massive backup, but even a chain reaction smashup.
Let's not have daddy bridge's ghost haunting the new Patullo.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 10:11 PM

Remember where you live.

Only here would they replace a too small old bridge with a NEW too small bridge

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 11:55 PM
Dahvie Fan

For a metro full of large bridges we make them shockingly hard for first responders to navigate

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure