HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
The Circa twins looks so stumpy... I don't know why. Maybe it is how the towers are setback from the podium? I know they are not really short but they just look short in photos.
The Fig+Pico towers (https://urbanize.la/post/fresh-rende...o-hotel-towers) and City Lights tower (https://urbanize.la/post/53-story-ho...vention-center) should help add some heft around Circa.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 8:46 PM

Circas podium takes up 1/3 of the entire height when looking at if from some angles, So it looks like 2 towers are sitting on a giant parking structure. Partially true.

Urbanize says the fig+Pico towers are supposed to break ground soon, if not early next year. Seeing how things work in LA, hopefully something happens by summer.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 2:04 AM

Walked by Circa today to check out the 'grill' going up on the podium. I think they should have went with a dark grey to be honest. The white just doesn't seem right. It doesn't match the towers in any way. Anyone else feel this way? Maybe my opinion will change when its all finished, but I doubt it. Especially since the cladding on Oceanwide is white. Might clash a bit, I feel.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 6:07 AM

CurbedLA actually got one over on Urbanize.la for a change.

https://la.curbed.com/2017/11/17/166...ry-development

New 11-story Arts District office building will cantilever over A+D Museum

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 7:10 PM

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 11:04 PM

Man, those Broadway Palace buildings are fugly! What a sad attempt at historicism. Those windows and the quality of the finish are truly atrocious. Can we put a moratorium on Palmer projects? They are horrible for LA.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffice View Post
Man, those Broadway Palace buildings are fugly! What a sad attempt at historicism. Those windows and the quality of the finish are truly atrocious. Can we put a moratorium on Palmer projects? They are horrible for LA.
And the size of the project is monolithic for Broadway. He could’ve switched up the facades and heights on both parcels to make it look like multiple buildings instead of just one uniformed structure.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 7:48 AM
LADevelopmentMap.com

I think they're each okay on their own...but looking south down Broadway it's a wall of brick. I also don't like his balconies...they're too deep

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 8:13 PM

The problem with Palmer and all of his projects is that he's very "Disney" and monotone. Everything he makes look fake and never age well because they don't age at all. I say "Disney" because he's big on themes, Tuscan/ Venice/ Brick, repeat. And EVERYTHING he make looks the same. Same balconies, same floor plans, same height, same amenities. Just soooo odd. Easy/quick buck though. I don't even think he cares about his and his firms legacy. Everything he is building are what I call "throw away" buildings. Easily torn down for something better.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
The problem with Palmer and all of his projects is that he's very "Disney" and monotone. Everything he makes look fake and never age well because they don't age at all. I say "Disney" because he's big on themes, Tuscan/ Venice/ Brick, repeat. And EVERYTHING he make looks the same. Same balconies, same floor plans, same height, same amenities. Just soooo odd. Easy/quick buck though. I don't even think he cares about his and his firms legacy. Everything he is building are what I call "throw away" buildings. Easily torn down for something better.
I can agree with what you are saying but really, but from my perspective, don't hate the player, hate the game.

You see, while NIMBYs battle against dense mixed-use projects "out-of-scale" with their neighborhoods all while demand increases, how can developers adapt? To top it off, zoning and regulations make it expensive to build yet the social mantra now is more affordable housing. You can't have both without something given up or a price to pay...and that's where Palmer finds his niche. The same goes with Caruso's projects.

In the end, the real blame is the vision and leadership with our elected officials and how they will implement planning strategies and achieve milestone goals.

Anyways, I'm not fond of Palmer's projects as well. Hopefully many of them will be torn down for something better in the future.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 2:03 AM

Building could have easily been better with a change in design half way down, to break the building in two. The material difference in cost would be negligible.

Just too visually monolithic.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 2:15 AM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Frankly ...since most on here bitch and moan about literallly everything...youre just another voice in the chorus about Broadway. Ill save my thoughts on truly gamechanging projects.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 4:44 PM

the criticisms of the palmer apt projs are valid...particularly the OCD nature of making them all look alike.

however, I'm guessing a lot of the bric a brac installed throughout his properties....such as statuary, fountains & heavy landscaping.....do cost more money than the exposed, plain, unpainted concrete, deconstructionist type of design, which is popular with some architects. That style is visible at the newly remodeled bloc proj.

most ppl....not so much the type posting to forums like ssp, who are into the finer details of urbanism & design....will find the original aspects of dtla far more objectionable.

this is the location of the broadway palace bldgs before they were created, & too many other parts of dt still remain not much better than this. I'm fairly sure more ppl through the yrs & decades have been turned off by this aspect of LA than the disneyfied nature of palmer's apt bldgs.

ladowntownnews.com

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
CurbedLA actually got one over on Urbanize.la for a change.

https://la.curbed.com/2017/11/17/166...ry-development

New 11-story Arts District office building will cantilever over A+D Museum
There's a first time for everything!

Lifan Tower at 7th/Witmer

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 11:37 PM

As someone who has seen Broadway Palace in person I love it. It's a great addition to the neighborhood. In my opinion the positives far outweigh the negatives. Look at the photo Citywatch just posted. Aside from Ace that area was a complete deadzone with so many parking lots and not enough pedestrians.

The addition of the Palmer buildings unify the area. It makes it feel much more vibrant and walkable. The facade lightning is a great touch and that's not mentioning the rooftop sign/blade sign and you can at least give the man some credit for at least trying to replicate the surrounding facades. Could you imagine if he had just stuck with the design of Medici or something? That whole area is going to be amazing. With railway, case hotel, the garment building Onni bought across the street..It's going to be a completely different neighborhood. All the new residents to fill it up too.

Anyways heres some photos. The weather was HORRIBLE. Taken on the iphone X.

Untitled by mojeda101, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 12:53 AM
:o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
As someone who has seen Broadway Palace in person I love it. It's a great addition to the neighborhood. In my opinion the positives far outweigh the negatives. Look at the photo Citywatch just posted. Aside from Ace that area was a complete deadzone with so many parking lots and not enough pedestrians.

The addition of the Palmer buildings unify the area. It makes it feel much more vibrant and walkable. The facade lightning is a great touch and that's not mentioning the rooftop sign/blade sign and you can at least give the man some credit for at least trying to replicate the surrounding facades. Could you imagine if he had just stuck with the design of Medici or something? That whole area is going to be amazing. With railway, case hotel, the garment building Onni bought across the street..It's going to be a completely different neighborhood. All the new residents to fill it up too.

No. He only made it like that due to Broadway's design guidelines. Palmer doesn't care what his buildings look like, how they fit in with their surroundings or interact with the street. He only cares about how much $$$ he'll make.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
As someone who has seen Broadway Palace in person I love it. It's a great addition to the neighborhood. In my opinion the positives far outweigh the negatives.
You're likely the rule, not the exception.

The broadway palace is getting fairly high marks on yelp right now....40 reviews which are mostly quite positive. so much so I even wondered if the yelpers may have been paid off by the owner to push up the rating of his apt bldgs. however, all his projs have filled up rather quickly, including the da vinci on temple st right next to the noisy, smoggy fwy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyrian Steel View Post
He only cares about how much $$$ he'll make.
Palmer is a strange person in terms of personal taste, but I don't think the amt of work & amenities installed in many of his apt bldgs, including the broadway palace, necessarily reflect an obsession with doing as little as possible for the tenants in order to make the biggest bucks from them as possible.

if he were as devoted to the bottom line as you imply, he likely would have deleted things like gyms, movie screening rooms or a statue of charlie chaplin.

these things do cost extra money....most devlprs would rather have their tenants go play basketball at a golds gym, assuming they even have indoor courts, drop by the Regal at LA live or look out over sparser landscaping, few to no decorative fountains & no bric a brac statuary.

much of this definitely increases the maintenance expenses for his projs...

broadwaypalaceapartments.com

such things may not fit various ppl's tastes & preferences.....but I just saw a story not too long ago about even millennials increasingly showing similar trends of previous generations....of ppl eventually favoring a typical sfr house for their family & moving to the burbs.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 3:10 AM
BikeMike

One of the more notable posters in this forum considered living in Broadway Palace. I actually have no problems with is outside of the windows being small.

Palmer is cheap based on different things but not others. The amenities at all of his buildings are top of the line. The designs of all his buildings and retail spaces are bottom of the line.

In this case, the Broadway requirements took the designs out of his hand for the most part.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 4:09 AM

@Mojeda

Thank you for the update.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident View Post
One of the more notable posters in this forum considered living in Broadway Palace. I actually have no problems with is outside of the windows being small.

Palmer is cheap based on different things but not others. The amenities at all of his buildings are top of the line. The designs of all his buildings and retail spaces are bottom of the line.

In this case, the Broadway requirements took the designs out of his hand for the most part.
I thought about it briefly. It’s much cheaper than anything else new. But the apartments weren’t that great for me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations