HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 3:26 PM
Nashville born and raised

Clarksville Tennessee Development

I am starting a Clarksville thread as there are some interesting things going on in Tennessee's 5th largest city. Some pertinent facts about Clarksville that may surprise you....
  • The 2015 estimated City population is 149,176.
  • Montgomery County has an estimated population of 184,119
  • The Metro Area has 277,894 people per estimates.
  • In 2013, the Clarksville three county Metro area was the second fastest growing in the US. A one year rate of 3.7%.
  • That is surprisingly large for a City you may not have heard of.

It is the home of Austin Peay State University, the fastest growing University in the state with big plans for expansion. Austin Peay currently has about 10,000 students.

The city includes Fort Campbell, home of the 101st Screaming Eagles Airborne, in it's region which is a large economic engine and source of population growth as soldiers retire and come back to Clarksville to live.

The City is only a one hour, 50 mile drive from Nashville and all it's attractions but is not included in the Consolidated Metropolitan Area of Nashville.

The City is in the middle of a Karst region meaning there are many sinkholes and cave in the area making large scale construction very challenging.

I will soon post info regarding recent and proposed projects.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 4:17 PM

I absolutely love Clarksville's downtown, so I'm generally intrigued on the development going on there. Love the sports radio show there.

Keep up updated!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 3:25 PM

Six Thousand Seat Arena Proposed for Clarksville

From a recent USA TODAY TENNESSEE story,

Quote:
CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. - After an 18 month study, Montgomery County leaders proposed Thursday that the county consider building a multipurpose event center in downtown Clarksville. .....

A specific location for an event center site hasn’t been determined, and there are no conceptual drawings, said Durrett and Truitt. The County Commission will be asked in the spring to include an estimated $200,000 in the county mayor’s portion of the budget for further study and refinement. .....

Predators connection
Potential commitments in an event center for the Predators might include hosting youth camps and tournaments and offering community-based recreation hockey leagues.
The Predators’ leadership is in early discussions to manage the facility, as they do for Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena, Durrett said.
“The well-oiled machine that the Predators have put into place to run the (Bridgestone Arena) competes for the top entertainment options with New York, Los Angeles and other, much-larger cities,” said Durrett......
Arena features
Durrett said the initial, phase 1 process would include:
» Main arena with 25,000 square feet of regulation hockey surface, with the ability to convert to hardwood for basketball games, flat floor space for trade shows, stage setup for concerts and dirt, perhaps for rodeos.
» One or two additional rinks of 22,500 square feet each, seating about 500 people and convertible to turf.
» Seating for up to 6,000 people in the arena.
» 15 to 20 executive suites.
» Four club rooms for parties and weddings.
» Four meeting spaces for conferences, seminars and classes.
HVS, the consultant, preliminarily calculates that, over a 20-year period, the facility could generate $289 million in net spending for the community.
I would think minor league hockey would do well in Clarksville. I would buy some tickets.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 10:48 PM

I'm aware of Clarksville because I have a friend who is from there. Thanks for starting this thread! I'd be happy to learn of any new development going on in Clarksville.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 1:23 PM

This news was announced about a year ago....from the Clarksville Leaf Chronicle

An important piece of land adjacent to the Austin Peay State campus is being offered to APSU (for purchase). Apparently, the University is serious about acquisition of the property as they have already prepared some conceptual plans for development. The subject parcels are on the south side of College Street (top and left in the picture).

Downtown Clarksville is at top center.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Jul 15, 2017 at 4:47 AM.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 12:49 PM

From the Clarksville Leaf Chronicle...

Quote:
Performing Arts Center, Athletic Complex, 'Urban Wilderness' in McMillan city budget

For the next city budget cycle, Clarksville Mayor Kim McMillan wants forward movement on a long-proposed downtown Performing Arts and Conference Center, and a Family Athletic Complex near Exit 8 of Interstate 24 that she says could attract minor league sports teams.......snip

"Again this year, my proposed budget also includes additional capital funding for two projects — the downtown Clarksville Performing Arts and Conference Center and a Family Athletic Complex — that I believe will lead to economic development and many other benefits for all of Clarksville," McMillan said.

Consultants tell the McMillan administration that the Performing Arts and Conference Center would result in some 200 new events a year, in downtown, in the form of theatrical performances, music concerts, family entertainment events, and conferences and meetings.

Another $5.6 million is proposed by McMillan to purchase land and continue work on the Athletic Complex near Exit 8. Along with that line item, McMillan announced Wednesday that National Sports Services, a company involved in minor league baseball and soccer teams, and sports facility development, has confirmed in writing its interest in working with the city to bring a professional baseball or soccer team, or both, to such an Athletic Complex.
Minor league Baseball, Soccer and/or Hockey along with a legitimate Performing Arts Center would enhance Clarksville's livability tremendously and make it a more distinct place to live, play and work and more than just some remote appendage to Nashville. People are taking notice of this under-served City of 150,000 +/-.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post

Minor league Baseball, Soccer and/or Hockey along with a legitimate Performing Arts Center would enhance Clarksville's livability tremendously and make it a more distinct place to live, play and work and more than just some remote appendage to Nashville. People are taking notice of this under-served City of 150,000 +/-.

Thanks for the thread. Haven't been to Clarksville in about 15 years but amazed at seeing how much it's grown and how fast, nice to see what is going on.

I would think minor league baseball or hockey would do well there- Jackson with a much smaller population (around 65,000?) has had a Double A team since 1998. Also close to a much larger market with Memphis 80 miles away (a little farther than Nashville-Clarksville). I'm surprised Clarksville hasn't had more amenities like this already.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 1:55 PM
Oak City

I always assumed Austin Peay was in Austin, Texas.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:09 AM

The City of Clarksville has a Civic Square under construction in the downtown area which will provide much needed park space and allow for community events and gatherings.

From the Clarksville Leaf-Chronicle...

Quote:
The Nashville landscape architecture and design firm, Hodgson Douglas, designed a public space that, according to Richie Jones of the firm, will have these key features:
►Large pavilion to host performances, with enclosed space plus a possible full-time retail or food and beverage tenant
►A great lawn as the central gathering space
►Water feature evoking the Cumberland and Red rivers
►Large rain garden with perennial flowers and native plants
►A gateway pavilion with docent station for renting items such as balls, frisbees and more, and public restrooms
►Terrace seating around the water features
►All-new shade trees and streetscape features
►A seasonal ice skating rink, primarily for the winter months
It will be another nice civic improvement that makes Clarksville a better place to live.

EDIT: After a cruise around town, I noticed the park is actually being built on an adjacent block. Card has been revised.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Aug 17, 2017 at 12:28 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:25 AM

The City, through it's 501c3, non-profit, volunteer civic improvement organization, Two Rivers Company (TRC) has proposed an urban apartment block for the downtown area.

TRC is looking for a developer to get the project built. The project would be built adjacent to the Civic Park described in the above post. Presumably, the land would be made available to the developer.

Quote:
The proposed site is a 60,000-square-foot rectangle, or close to 1.4 acres, and the development is envisioned as a five-story, L-shaped structure with multi-story parking within the core. It could have 13,500 square feet of commercial space to include a neighborhood grocery store, restaurant and bank, 128 residential units and up to 314 parking spaces.
"We're the youngest county in Tennessee," Bibb said. "We're a city full of millennials, and this type of project would serve that population well, as well as empty-nesters, so it would serve a current need.
"Beyond that, we see this as the first of many multi-use projects that are possible for the area if this one is successful," he said.
Also, from the Leaf-Chronicle, some great info on downtown development, the new arena (which would serve as a home for Austin Peay Basketball) and a good outlook on the City's forward looking approach to making this City of 150,000 people into the city it should be.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 10:06 PM

Nice! I would very much love to see that built!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 1:54 PM

The City of Clarksville is pushing forward, a proposal to encourage the building of a large hotel (200+ rooms) with over 40,000 sf of meeting space capable of holding over a thousand people. From the Clarksville Leaf Chronicle...

Quote:
Clarksville, Tennessee's fifth-largest city, has been without a major convention center for decades while most other U.S. urban areas already capitalize on having them, and that's been a source of local frustration for at least the past 20 years.
That may all change soon.

Local officials are now forming a partnership with a national-level real estate developer, Stoney Creek Hospitality, which would build a $30 million, mostly-privately-funded 200-room hotel accompanied by a 40,000- to- 50,000-square-foot convention center capable of hosting up to 1,000 people at a time.

Under the company's current timetable, the hotel and convention center would be built and in business by sometime in 2020.
The City is proposing to use Tax Increment Financing (TIF) to enable the Stoney Creek Hotel chain to build a facility near I-24 exit 4.

The Stoney Creek Hotel chain is a Midwestern oriented business with a rustic approach to its design.

An example...

Clarksville has needed a larger facility to host some gatherings and events, but I think this may be a little too modest for a city of 150,000+ in a MSA of near 300,000. Hopefully the arena proposed by the county downtown will come to being some day soon and help accommodate larger events (more on that later).

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 2:06 PM

Quote:

Performing Arts Center, Athletic Complex, 'Urban Wilderness' in McMillan city budget

For the next city budget cycle, Clarksville Mayor Kim McMillan wants forward movement on a long-proposed downtown Performing Arts and Conference Center, and a Family Athletic Complex near Exit 8 of Interstate 24 that she says could attract minor league sports teams.......snip

"Again this year, my proposed budget also includes additional capital funding for two projects — the downtown Clarksville Performing Arts and Conference Center and a Family Athletic Complex — that I believe will lead to economic development and many other benefits for all of Clarksville," McMillan said.
No recent news on this that I know of, but I do have pictures of the proposal...

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 3:22 PM

An interesting insight from the Wall Street Journal on June 19, 2018.

From another forum...(sorry, I don't have a subscription, so I can't direct quote it)...

Quote:
Forget Silicon Valley, The Future of Tech Is in These Three Cities
Quote:
Worker believes the skillset of the people, access to clean energy and strong partnership opportunities are what led to a major investment in the city of 150,000 people on the Kentucky border. “Google broke ground in February on a $600 million data center on 1,300 acres,” he says. “And LG is spending $250 million to build an 829,000-square-foot home appliance factory slated to employ 600 workers.” There’s plenty to do, from strolling the riverfront and hiking the Clarksville Greenway to wandering the Customs House Museum & Cultural Center (above)—but Worker’s pick is D&D Black Light Mini Golf for a round of golf."

A somewhat hyperbolic headline, but it is awesome to see this emerging sunbelt city get such national attention in such a positive way. Perhaps this will be a new way the nation sees Clarksville, TN from now on. That would be an incredible brand.

I don't know what the other two cities are.

…….

Mabry Concert Hall (a nationally ranked top 10 music facility) at Austin Peay; has nothing to do with this post, just a pleasant picture.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 11:50 PM

Montgomery County officials have revealed renderings for a proposed $105 million multi-purpose events center which would include an arena for professional hockey and basketball. Not many details were given.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 8:53 PM

Cool

Quote:
Montgomery County officials have revealed renderings for a proposed $105 million multi-purpose events center which would include an arena for professional hockey and basketball. Not many details were given.

The County has approved, in their May meeting, the land purchase for the downtown arena and the Austin Peay Board of Trustees has approved leasing the new arena for up to 40 dates to accommodate the women's and men's NCAA basketball teams games. Per Clarksville Now....

Quote:
The proposed agreement between the University and Montgomery County government will allow APSU to lease space for the men and women’s basketball programs. This would include coach and assistant offices, locker rooms, practice facilities, and game-day facilities.
The initial discussion also includes the ability for Austin Peay to host 40 events at the new facility. This would coverall men and women’s basketball regular season games and potentially other events.
Why this is an advantage for Austin Peay, I don't know. The current arena is perfectly fine (we beat Michigan State in there once). Maybe renting as opposed to owning is its own reward.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 9:32 PM

The Montgomery County Commission last night approved funding for a $130 million arena to be located in downtown Clarksville.

Quote:
The plan to borrow $130 million to build the Multi-Purpose Event Center in downtown Clarksville was approved Tuesday night by the Montgomery County Commission.
The vote was 17-4,.....

Commissioner John Gannon placed a stipulation on approval of the downtown Clarksville arena design and construction funding in that there must be contracts signed with the Nashville Predators to manage it and for Austin Peay State University as lead tenant. Both measures have been promised as part of the proposal. 

A plan to develop an adjacent lot where the current Riverfront Inn is located was also revealed last night.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 1:05 AM

From my post elsewhere...

Austin Peay built this beautiful football stadium four years ago.

When the $17 million facility was proposed, the team was mired in 30 years of mediocrity including the 'one win in four years' streak as the stadium was being built. But amazingly, as the coaches showed potential recruits the plans, interest among a higher class of talent became attracted to the promise of a stronger commitment to football by the University and signed up to play. Indeed the program had what was rated the number one class of incoming recruits in the FCS division one year and has been top five in the recruiting rankings in the other years. They even recruited a four star quarterback (who is injured) . The recruiting efforts have yielded great success on the field as Peay has had three consecutive winning seasons including the 9 win 3 loss current season which just ended with Peay winning the OVC championship and automatically qualifying for the FCS championship playoffs.

The point of this is to illustrate what the impact of having an awesome facility like this can do for a program. I have been there and it is pound for pound one of the best stadiums I have been to for comfort, concessions and rest rooms. It has luxury suites, club seats and chairback seats in some sections, It 'only' seats 10,000, including the rehab of the eastside bleachers (not shown), but it is packed almost every game. There is a very good sports atmosphere. And there are state of the art weight rooms, dressing rooms, cafeteria, coaches offices and alumni meeting rooms in the facility.
It is a success story some other universities should take note of. Let's go Peay!!

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 9:35 PM

Clarksville is the nation's top city for millennials.

I'm not with the Chamber of Commerce but there is some recent news that they would like to boast about.

From the company Improvenet and reported by Clarksville Now.com ....

Quote:
Home ownership has long been part of the American Dream, and in Clarksville it’s possible for those under 35. Improvenet, the company conducting the study, used the most recent US Census Bureau data to analyze more than 170 cities nationwide with populations greater than 150,000 to find the top cities for millennial home ownership.

The company found that “nationwide, millennials make up roughly 11% of homeowners in cities with populations over 150,000, but in Clarksville that average more than doubles to 23%.”

The top 5 cities for millennial homeowners included:
1. Clarksville, TN (23.0%)
2. Grand Rapids, MI (19.5%)
3. Sioux Falls, SD (18.2%)
4. Minneapolis, MN (16.7%)
5. Atlanta, GA (16.4%)
And the article had a link to another bragging rights story from Money Magazine....The Best City To Live In!

Quote:
Clarksville, Tennessee might not be on your radar yet, but it should be, and it’s MONEY’s No. 1 Best Place to Live in 2019. To all the millennials moving in, the city of about 160,000 people is a place they can afford to plant down roots. The average age of a Clarksville resident is only 29, almost a decade younger than the state of Tennessee as a whole.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 2:03 AM
Future God

I don't mean to rain on Clarksville's parade, but to be fair, both of those rankings above were based almost exclusively on how easy it is to become a homeowner and nothing else lol... but still, good for Clarksville! I'm glad they are getting positive press.

-Bob Marley

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast